• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

vgamer1

I don't think they blocked it, I think it's that it has to mimic firmware specific code. Like it is coded to work with how that specific firmware works. If nintendo changes something then the code in the gateway has to be changed as well.

tesla246

nice and quick firmware nintendo. Would be a shame to see 3ds software sales getting demolished like ds software sales in the end because of easy pirating. I mean, it is fun and cool when the system is already at the end of its life/dead especially for making backups and easy acces, but the 3ds is only just getting there to be a healthy environment. Something nintendo really needs now, seeing how badly the wii u does.

CDX

Doubt will go to that level, Nintendo took like 6months to block the freeloader for wii, even then only a few games came with the patch.

And Nintendo blocked it before it was even released.

lol

I don't think they blocked it, I think it's that it has to mimic firmware specific code. Like it is coded to work with how that specific firmware works. If nintendo changes something then the code in the gateway has to be changed as well.

maybe. maybe not.

but even in their denial that it's blocked, they admit that Nintendo blocked it with the latest firmware.

From another forum said:
> Does your team have an eta on when the card will work on the newest firmware?
> I have been keeping up with the forums, and the lack of confirmation
> from you guys almost definitely says that you know it is blocked on the newest
> firmware or you would have come out cheering that it still works as it takes 5
> minutse to test this kind of thing. Is this going to delay the initial
> shipments while you guys work on a solution, or are you going to release a
> card that only works on firmwares 5.1 and below?

> Thanks

Reply:

It is not going to delay shipment, and it will be released on a later update.
Nothing is blocked (Nintendo does not know how we get in anyway since no one had
the production unit yet). Just it requires some work to adapt the code, and it
is no ready yet. It might be for launch, otherwise it will be available a bit
later with an update.

translation:

No it's not blocked, but it just doesn't work with the latest update. Please, Buy it anyways! And maybe, maybe we'll get it to work again with the latest firmware.

Eric C

So now:

• it's still $80
  • Only 1 game on a microSD
  • Changing to a new game/rom deletes your saves
  • still no region unlock
  • no homebrew
  • Nintendo ALREADY blocked it even before it hit the market, lol, and they hope they can get it working again

LOL

also

Banned
While I do hope they eventually break the 3DS open (region free, fan translations...), I hope we are at least a few years away from that. That way piracy and cheating won't have such a negative effect and we get to enjoy all the benefits of an ''open'' system.

Mr Swine

Banned
While I do hope they eventually break the 3DS open (region free, fan translations...), I hope we are at least a few years away from that. That way piracy and cheating won't have such a negative effect and we get to enjoy all the benefits of an ''open'' system.

But it will still be negative even if its the end of the systems life. Developers won't even touch the system if it opens up. Wish people could stop with the "oh it's the last year of its life, lets pirate the shit out the last games that are coming out. Developers are to losing anything thank god for that!"

also

Banned
But it will still be negative even if its the end of the systems life. Developers won't even touch the system if it opens up. Wish people could stop with the "oh it's the last year of its life, lets pirate the shit out the last games that are coming out. Developers are to losing anything thank god for that!"

Selfish as it may be, to me the positives will outweigh the negatives.

Tagg9

Wow, that was impressively fast from Nintendo. I have no idea how they managed to block it when the thing isn't even out yet!

Firmware only delays. It's never a complete block.

Depends, this doesn't seem to be a hole in the encryption (no custom loaders, 1 game per SD card), so this is no way to run any custom homebrew or anything that will somehow help people looking to truly break into the system.

This seems to merely simulate a real cart, and a proper white/black list may be able to keep these kinds of carts from being wide spread.

Tagg: They probably had their engineers go over the system once these carts were announced. Again, since they know that the encryption hasn't been defeated, that greatly cuts down on where the hole could be.

Crayons

Banned
I really hope a working flashcard doesn't come until the next DS comes out. Piracy on the DS scared away a lot of developers. And hopefully that flashcard would defeat the region lock.

antonz

The fact Nintendo was able to block the device before it even shipped means they had a very good idea exactly what was compromised so to speak. So I would say unless the pirates can come up with some new method the device will stay nuked

If developers choose to screw us over with a region lock then they are going to lose some sympathy. It's hard to make an emotional argument for treating them with extra empathy when they demonstrate a distinct lack of interest in returning the favor. And region locking is little more than screwing customers, there's been very few piracy enablers that don't disable region locking and its trivially defeatable merely by importing a 3DS from a different region,.

DonMigs85

Which is why many folks were interested in this. I enjoy many 3DS games and bought them via retail. A card that would allow me to carry all of my purchased games with me from the sd card definitely has a legitimate purpose other than piracy.

Yes but very few people will be as honorable as you. To satisfy your selfish requests could mean the death of future software on the 3DS. Just play by Nintendo's rules - it's not meant to be an open platform. You have stuff like Ouya for that.

Also who knows? They might reveal a proper account system later this year

Really? If I don't trust the eShop amd Nintendo protecting my purchases than yes this does/would in the future have a use of allowing me to carry my purchased games on my 3DS just like those who download them from the eShop.

Unfortunately you're the minority there. I can count all the people I knew who owned an R4 for the DS and used it for legitimate purposes on one finger. And I don't think I'd need to use that finger.

Either way, this isn't what you're describing. It's a way to carry one game at a time on a single cart. Sound familiar?

RM8

Selfish as it may be, to me the positives will outweigh the negatives.
The negative is a huge drop in support. What possible positive can outweigh that? If piracy becomes common it won't be a DS situation - DS managed to survive and keep support because, well, it's the second best selling game system ever released. 3DS needs to remain as profitable as it is right now to keep being relevant.

Berordn

So how would this thing even handle updates on the cartridges? If a future game requires an update which blocks the cart and installs that, you're kinda boned.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know, Nintendo wouldn't have blocked it if they would have shut up about it and waited until it was fully functional instead of going HEY YOU GUYS WE HACKED THE 3DS! all over the internet.

Mozendo

Even though I was waiting for a 3DS flashcard, I was not excited for this.
A 1:1 flashcart is terrible and will most likely be used for piracy since it'd make no sense to use the flashcart instead of the game.

Even though I was waiting for a 3DS flashcard, I was not excited for this.
A 1:1 flashcart is terrible and will most likely be used for piracy since it'd make no sense to use the flashcart instead of the game.

Unfortunately, piracy groups have spent years distributing illegal 3DS roms, so it will be easier than ever for 3DS piracy to proliferate.

The 3DS is already struggling for Western-released third-party support...if these flashcarts become the norm, we may see fewer and fewer titles get localized. A tragedy, really.

I hope all future 3DS games come with a mandatory update built-in so that this piracy-enabling flashcart will be restricted to past titles only.

PsionBolt

The negative is a huge drop in support. What possible positive can outweigh that? If piracy becomes common it won't be a DS situation - DS managed to survive and keep support because, well, it's the second best selling game system ever released. 3DS needs to remain as profitable as it is right now to keep being relevant.

I'd like it if it reached DS / PSP levels of open-ness once its life was over completely - like, midway into the 4DS's life, or even further would be fine. But I'd still like it to happen eventually, once the point came that being open wouldn't really affect Nintendo or other developers much. Fan translations and homebrew are great things, and it sucks that piracy always has to mix itself in there with them in these kinds of threads.

vareon

Yeah I'm sorry those who wanted this for a legitimate use, but I really don't want this to catch up. Maybe it's better to participate in Cheesemeister's campaign than supporting flashcarts.

Erethian

You know, Nintendo wouldn't have blocked it if they would have shut up about it and waited until it was fully functional instead of going HEY YOU GUYS WE HACKED THE 3DS! all over the internet.

Well technically they haven't really hacked the 3DS anyway, just made a flashcart that successfully mimics a legitimate retail copy.

Mozendo

Unfortunately, piracy groups have spent years distributing illegal 3DS roms, so it will be easier than ever for 3DS piracy to proliferate.

The 3DS is already struggling for Western-released third-party support...if these flashcarts become the norm, we may see fewer and fewer titles get localized. A tragedy, really.

I hope all future 3DS games come with a mandatory update built-in so that this piracy-enabling flashcart will be restricted to past titles only.

Yeah, even though I want a 3DS flashcart the piracy it will bring makes me not want one in the first place. It's 50/50

I just want a flashcart so I can store all my games in one card so I wont be worried having one to a few games if they get stolen like my GBA games in the past.

But in Nintendo's defense I could go digital. (Even though I love physical copies ;_;)

DR2K

Banned
Yes but very few people will be as honorable as you. To satisfy your selfish requests could mean the death of future software on the 3DS. Just play by Nintendo's rules - it's not meant to be an open platform. You have stuff like Ouya for that.

Do you have any numbers or facts to back your statement up?

Zornica

Banned
Really? If I don't trust the eShop amd Nintendo protecting my purchases than yes this does/would in the future have a use of allowing me to carry my purchased games on my 3DS just like those who download them from the eShop.

just to be clear:
the company you don't trust let people take their games from previous consoles to the new one.
The others with an "holy grail" account system in place did not.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Screw that I dropped playing by their rules once they region locked the damn thing. If there is a flash cart or firmware hack that negates it I'm sure as hell going to get it.

also

Banned

That's why I said after a few years. Let's say the 3DS is hacked once its successor has already been on the market for a year, would the the negative impact really be that great?

just to be clear:
the company you don't trust let people take their games from previous consoles to the new one.
The others with an "holy grail" account system in place did not.
What does backwards compatibility have to do with anything? If I lost my Vita or if it got stolen, it would be extremely easy to transfer all my digital games to a new system. If the same happens with my Nintendo console, I will be at the mercy of Nintendo. There's no possible way you can defend this.
BTW, PS1 classics carry over to Vita and Sony doesn't charge you a dime to use the new emulator features, unlike a certain other company.

Zornica

Banned
What does backwards compatibility have to do with anything? If I lost my Vita or if it got stolen, it would be extremely easy to transfer all my digital games to a new system. If the same happens with my Nintendo console, I will be at the mercy of Nintendo. There's no possible way you can defend this.

you missed the point entirely.
I am not defending Nintendo's practices, I am questioning the trust in other companies which clearly showed that they can't be trusted either. That blog post surely sounds horrible, BUT it's also more than a year old by now and I've read dozens of cases in the meantime that had quick and happy resolves.With Nintendo it's like russian roulette, you may win, you may lose. but with ps360 to xbone4 you definitly lose, account system or not.

the point is:
there is no certainty, ever.
You can't just assume your digitally bought games are safe because they are tied to an account. The ps360 case clearly shows they are not.

I know its due to the missing backwards compatibility. But than I need to ask why is it ok in this case? You also paid for it and it doesn't seem like they'd even attempt to bring those games over.

BTW, PS1 classics carry over to Vita and Sony doesn't charge you a dime to use the new emulator features, unlike a certain other company.
they don't stop you from using them. you get what you paid for, nothing more, nothing less.
good for the handful of vita owners if they get at least something from sony, we all know there isn't that much beyond that these days.

Top Bottom