• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

plufim

Serious question: whatever happened to keeping morality arguments out of these threads? Might as well rename the thread at this point.
In this case the grey area is almost non-existant. No region free, only one game per SD card, and most 3DS games are available digital.

sn00zer

Oh yeah the "homebrew" scene will be great on 3ds...good ol' "homebrew"
People are lying to themselves if they dont think a vast majority of these carts arent used for piracy

$h@d0w

No Region Free Confirmed.

GATEWAY 3DS F.A.Q

04/06/2013
- Is it one microSD per game?
Currently yes.
- Must the microSD card size match the game size?
No, so long as the microSD card is larger than the rom size.
- Can it play games from other regions?
Currently no, however due to popular demand, we have launched an investigation into this possibility.
- Can it play Homebrew?
No.
- Are saved games working? Once you take out the game is the save file kept or lost?
We are currently working to fully support back up and restore of save data.
- Can Nintendo block Gateway with an update?
Anything is possible we would rather not speculate (As always, any system updates should be avoided)
- How big are the games and what is the minimum size for the microSD card?
Some range from 256MB to 4GB
- Can you play multiplayer local and mostly online?
Yes, but we advise not to use online features
- Do the game keep internet capacity?
- Is it upgradable?
Yes some aspects of the design will be upgradable.
- Can it run normal DS roms?
No, there are many alternative options for this.
- Suggested Retail price?
About $80‚ €65
- Availability: End of June. BUT until production has started, we are not accepting any pre-payment, therefore end-users should NOT pay until we indicate on our site that pre orders are officially open and payments from resellers are being accepted. PLEASE DO NOT PRE-PAY UNTILL WE SAY SO !

Official FAQ from http://gateway-3ds.com/

etrain911

So at this point it's basically a piracy chip? There's no homebrew, it's one microSD per card so no one can say that they just want to store all of their games on one chip, and it isn't region-free. Tasteless. If there are others (and there are always copy-cats once the first one comes out) hopefully they'll find a way to at least make the thing less of a piracy platform by adding some utilities like homebrew and region free capabilities. They can't ban the sale of the chip outright so that's the best I'll hope for. That and that it will be blocked.

Freki

So at this point it's basically a piracy chip? There's no homebrew, it's one microSD per card so no one can say that they just want to store all of their games on one chip, and it isn't region-free. Tasteless. If there are others (and there are always copy-cats once the first one comes out) hopefully they'll find a way to at least make the thing less of a piracy platform by adding some utilities like homebrew and region free capabilities. They can't ban the sale of the chip outright so that's the best I'll hope for. That and that it will be blocked.

Sadly yes - it's completely worthless for anything else.

no region free makes this worthless

but there's still hope

Not from this approach - they are basically emulating a legit game 1:1 - the system itself remains completely uncompromised.

Jomjom

Banned
no region free makes this worthless

but there's still hope

Yup at least they are "investigating" the possibility. The moment there is a region free hack, I'm going to import one of the many awesome LE 3DS XLs from Japan. I hate all the variations in the US.

Eric C

No Region Free Confirmed.

GATEWAY 3DS F.A.Q

04/06/2013
- Is it one microSD per game?
Currently yes.

- Must the microSD card size match the game size?
No, so long as the microSD card is larger than the rom size.
- Can it play games from other regions?
Currently no, however due to popular demand, we have launched an investigation into this possibility.
- Can it play Homebrew?
No.
- Are saved games working? Once you take out the game is the save file kept or lost?
We are currently working to fully support back up and restore of save data.

- Can Nintendo block Gateway with an update?
Anything is possible we would rather not speculate (As always, any system updates should be avoided)

- How big are the games and what is the minimum size for the microSD card?
Some range from 256MB to 4GB
- Can you play multiplayer local and mostly online?
- Do the game keep internet capacity?
- Is it upgradable?
Yes some aspects of the design will be upgradable.
- Can it run normal DS roms?
No, there are many alternative options for this.
- Suggested Retail price?
About $80‚ €65

- Availability: End of June. BUT until production has started, we are not accepting any pre-payment, therefore end-users should NOT pay until we indicate on our site that pre orders are officially open and payments from resellers are being accepted. PLEASE DO NOT PRE-PAY UNTILL WE SAY SO !
Official FAQ from http://gateway-3ds.com/
  • 1 microSD card per game
  • no region unlock
  • currently saves are erased evertime you load up a new game/rom
  • $80 is nowhere near how cheap R4 prices were
  • A vague don't update the firmware recommendation, IMO that means Nintendo probably can block it, or at the very least embed the new firmware into every new game/rom, so if that happens you might be stuck playing only old games/roms.
  • no homebrew

yeah, imo it's crap.

Sarquiss_

Although I can understand the point of view of those who wish to use this to dump their own legitimate copies of games for ease of use, I really hope that Nintendo are able to block this.

Not only is this bad for the 3DS but it may also potentially affect future handheld devices. We are already seeing Tablet/Phone games taking a huge chunk of the market away from Nintendo and Sony and a set back such as this won't help as Dev's may end up giving up dedicated handheld devices altogether.

I know that piracy is quite rampant on the mobile platforms but given that development costs are lower the risk is not as high for developers/publishers.

I'm honestly glad it's so terrible. Less chances of anyone buying it and simply buying you know...games. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Ugh, yeah, one game per card basically kills it for me. The whole reason I bought my DS flashcart was because I was sick of hauling around 20+ (later 30+) games on trips and stuff, but this is basically useless to me.

Dingotech

• no region unlock
  • Nintendo probably can block it, or at the very least embed the new firmware into every new game/rom, so if that happens you might be stuck playing only old games/roms.

yeah, imo it's crap.

Ewww don't want.

CDX

Sure will be cheap chinese clones within 2-3months, but sucks about region locking.
It's likely Nintendo will have released a new firmware blocking it by then, and requires that that firmware on every new game cartridge made.

Since they can't alter the game code to remove region unlocks, it's even more doubtful anyone would ever be able to strip the firmware updates from the games.

So enjoy buying your cheap chinese knock off version to play only old games, 1 game per SD, and every time you switch to a new game your saves go poof.

lol

hitmon

• no region unlock
  • Nintendo probably can block it, or at the very least embed the new firmware into every new game/rom, so if that happens you might be stuck playing only old games/roms.

yeah, imo it's crap.

Haha, you might as well just buy the physical version of the game.

Saibastian

Neo Member
Having to switch SD cards eh? It sounds pretty inconsistent, but once other groups get their hands on how to do it they will probably have a better method. It certainly is interesting, but no doubt Nintendo isn't going to take this sitting down.

It's likely Nintendo will have released a new firmware blocking it by then, and requires that that firmware on every new game cartridge made.

Since they can't alter the game code to remove region unlocks, it's even more doubtful anyone would ever be able to strip the firmware updates from the games.

So enjoy buying your cheap chinese knock off version to play only old games, 1 game per SD, and every time you switch to a new game your saves go poof.

lol

Doubt will go to that level, Nintendo took like 6months to block the freeloader for wii, even then only a few games came with the patch.

Dingotech

You people realize that R4 type devices were expensive when they first came out as well, right?

Of course, I owned one of the original Supercards that came out for the DS that also required you to flash your DS firmware using a special tool.

This new device has way too many downsides to make it worth buying, better off sticking with carrying around my actual 3DS carts. If I can't keep them digitally on the one card it makes it pointless for me.

Foffy

Banned
One game per cart? Fuck, that basically banks the device as some strange backup thing, making it more of a pure incentive for piracy than literally anything else.

Come back to me when we get cards that are region free and can store tons of games. Maybe then the reasons will be worth it, as well as the price for a game dumper being cheaper. How much do those cost on a 3DS? Is it fair to assume such a device costs more than this card?

Drago

Well, at least they're gonna look into the possibility of region free. Only then will I have a use for this.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
No white 3DS in USA and poor game selection are the reasons I don't own a 3DS this is worthless indeed.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It's about this being a stepping stone to greater things.

Sorry, but this isn't. Making a 1-1 copy of the a cartridge has always being in the cards and always was (relatively) easy to do. With this device we are no closer to region free or homebrew. Multiple ROMs on a single card should be attainable, but implementing such function would probably increase the price of the device by a considerable margin.

Tik-Tok

I'm fairly certain the one card per game limitation is only temporary until they've developed some loader software method. (For what it's worth)

injurai

Banned
Sorry, but this isn't. Making a 1-1 copy of the a cartridge has always being in the cards and always was (relatively) easy to do. With this device we are no closer to region free or homebrew. Multiple ROMs on a single card should be attainable, but implementing such function would probably increase the price of the device by a considerable margin.

oh i didn't realize...

I'm sure there will be a breakthrough one of these days.

Yanksfan

One game per cart? Fuck, that basically banks the device as some strange backup thing, making it more of a pure incentive for piracy than literally anything else.

Come back to me when we get cards that are region free and can store tons of games. Maybe then the reasons will be worth it, as well as the price for a game dumper being cheaper. How much do those cost on a 3DS? Is it fair to assume such a device costs more than this card?

Once it has a loader that can boot multiple games per cart, like you want, that is when it becomes a popular piracy device. For those that want a workaround on a game for region lock purposes, wouldn't the one game per cart work for that? Or am I oblivious to how many region locked games people really want to play?

Foffy

Banned
Once it has a loader that can boot multiple games per cart, like you want, that is when it becomes a popular piracy device. For those that want a workaround on a game for region lock purposes, wouldn't the one game per cart work for that? Or am I oblivious to how many region locked games people really want to play?

It could, but the issue is simple; this doesn't break region locking. It narrows the pool for options. :p

Fou-Lu

So my only reason for ever wanting a flashcast (breaking the region lock) isn't even in effect here?... Well that is both disappointing and aggravating. Hope Nintendo manages to properly patch their system this time.

Eusis

To play one ROM of the same region at a time and lose your save every time you change ROMs.
I hope this is enough to kill this as serious piracy and being more like a glorified demo cart. I can't imagine any but the cheapest of people would really care if they can't retain progress in modern games.

eggwolio

Seriously, can someone who's saying they'll use this for backups only show me how they're going to backup their games?

I can't find any way for the average person to do it now (as far as I can tell it requires specialized hardware set ups with a personally coded dumping program) and this flashcart doesn't appear to be able to do it either.

Dealextreme sells a USB device for this purpose which costs ten bucks. It's been out of stock for ages, though.

I'd get me one of these so I could play Multiplayer with my girlfriend on games that require two cartridges (NSMB2, DKCR, etc) would be great since i haven't updated my old Aqua Blue 3DS in forever.

I would love it if Nintendo would create a cartridge solely for this purpose. I'd gladly shell out fifty or sixty bucks for it. I would rather make the single large purchase than to have to double up every time a game comes out that my lady and i would like to play together. On NSMB2 and DKC, there are three save slots, which seems to encourage three people in your house to enjoy the game in single-player mode. However, for two of you to enjoy it together, you gotta buy another cartridge. It would be really neat for Nintendo to develop a "Player 2" cartridge which downloads the game data from a legitimate cartridge and then purges said data when system link is broken. NSMB2 wasn't worth its asking price for single player, IMHO. Should've been a $20 title. Asking me to double that investment for a multiplayer which proved to be atrocious was a real kick in the pants.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Nintendo, this is why you should get your shit together and announce a decent, nay an excellent account system.

Because of where I live, I'm forced to buy all my games off the e-shop right now. If shit goes down and I lose/break my XL, I hope the flashcart gods are listening and bring great justice down on Ninty's head.

But seriously though Nintendo, do the right thing.

Top Bottom