• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

From the video: I'm guessing the game data is still encrypted as I've heard nothing of encryption keys being leaked. In that case that includes the header information and the region code. Basically all this does is acts like you've put the cartridge in.

Unless it has some drive hacking ninjitsu and it somehow able to feed a region free header (Wii drive hacks aka modchips had a buggy region free working despite the discs being encrpyted and not keys being leaked). But like I said before, if you're showing off the product that is exactly the feature you would show off. Since it has not happened (or they picked only English games).

seriously why the fuck is the 3DS region-locked
Keep publishers happy, stop counterfeit proliferation (if you have to make per region it makes it more expensive). I still think the eShop should have been region free or some sort of lagged version (say after a year of release something goes region free, a year allows plenty of time to distribute in other regions if you want).

Tayaya

I'm torn on this. I know the opinion on GAF seems to be that the people that "want to carry their games on one card" have no argument because so many games are available digitally, but... I do still like buying physical copies of my games. Call me old fashioned if you like, but I do enjoy having that nice line of game cases and games on my shelf, and I like being able to pop them in my system and play them, even if I swap out said system for a new model or new color, or whatever the next handheld happens to be (assuming they keep a modicum of backwards compatibility as Nintendo usually does). So.... I do tend to limit my digital game buying for anything outside of my PC.

I have a Card Case 18 I got from Club Nintendo, so carrying 18 games around doesn't exactly take up a lot of space, but as a guy that's accidentally left that card case 18 behind at the office or at a friend's house.... I can tell you it's pretty heart wrenching to feel like you just lost $500+ worth of games in a single moment of irresponsibility. Luckily I work around some honest folks and have never lost my games, but I've made too many hurried drives back to the office at weird hours to retrieve my games! So.... something like this DOES have some appeal to me even as a legit gamer (I have 1200+ games, all legit... I pay my dues to the industry). It would be nice to take my games around with me and not have to worry about losing a large wad of money if I leave the case or card behind.

But really it's trivial... outside of long trips or conventions I can get by with 1-2 games plus all my virtual console, eShop only, and ambassador titles. Also there's the disadvantage of not being able to move your saves to the legitimate games, so you essentially have a bin full of games just for the sake of making it feel legal and nothing else, as playing on the cart means starting over.

So yes, I understand the argument of wanting all your games in one easy to transport package, but the Card Case 18 is brilliant for that.... just make sure to chain it to your person so you don't leave it behind.

Now breaking the region-lock..... well that's a different matter altogether!

All I want is 1 of 2 things,

A way to back up my carts and a hex editor.

Or

An action replay/code breaker/game shark where I can create my own codes.

I am sorry, but RPGing as a new father isn't like the good old days, time is money. Again this is what my use would be of this, that piracy thing is going to be brutal though.

Furthermore, can game companies please allow for a hex editor application on there devices, just disable my trophies or what the hell ever you measure my online achievements and let me enjoy my damned game...

Fey

Banned
I don't like this. Flashcarts obliterated sales of high quality but niche DS games such as the Ace Attorney series or The World Ends With You.

MTE. Piracy on the DS is the reason AAI2 wasn't released here and AA5 is only being released digitally. Reeeally not looking forward to what will happen when people will be able to start pirating 3DS games.

how would this exclude rom dumps from other regions

The game has the region code. The console has the region lock security. The console checks the game to see if it has the right code.

Unless described otherwise, this tool is essentially acting as a 1:1 duplicate of a legitimate game, so it will also the the same code as the original.

Mithos

We CAN contact Nintendo about this and transfer them over still. It's not really ideal, but it's not so horrific that "no one sane" should bother.

Seriously, look at the likes of Digital River, they straight up don't let you redownload after a short period of time unless you pay "download insurance", and it STILL isn't for as long as the service persists, just a year or two.

as far as I am aware you can transfer all your content from system to system no? granted, both the new and the old system need to be working, but this can be done. the content already can be moved from one piece of hardware to another.

"Call me" when Nintendo do not need to be involved, until that time it is insane to buy digitally.

This would be awesome for people like me who don't like digital (because of Nintendo's games bound to system policy) but still want to carry all their games with them on a single cartridge!

lol

I smell piracy. If not you.. even if your reason is REALLY odd.. a lot of people will.

I am being honest. Do I need to show you my 3DS and my receipt for a AC 3DS XL preorder to get you to stop implying I'm a liar?

No, because if you're even being honest, it doesn't matter. You represent such an astronomically small subset of people (those with 2 3DS systems, one for home, and one for away) that your particular concern is insignificant. For people with 2 3DS systems, just buy the cart if you're that concerned.

Understand I am not blaming you. But the way it will be used by the majority is obvious.

Now third parties will have another excuse not to release games... Really hope Nintendo can fix this. I guess the DS taught them the hard lesson. They better be ready to counterattack. If this is the same as DS, well, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Fair enough.
Hell, I know people that bought R4s for their devices back in the day to pirate.
I got one because of work-related restrictions, and because I wanted to collect DS games.
(Mostly because I really liked the shape of the cases.)

It blows my mind that people believe EVERYONE will use it for piracy.
Most will, yeah. And that pisses me off. I want the 3DS to succeed. It's my favorite console.
But not everyone will.

spons

Gold Member
If and only if it's a real kernel level exploit of the 3DS then everything will be in it for the legitimate users. If not, the 3DS just got a fairly shitty way of doing piracy. All in all, this news is just hours old and nobody understands the device well enough to draw any conclusions.

Risette

A Good Citizen
No, because if you're even being honest, it doesn't matter. You represent such an astronomically small subset of people (those with 2 3DS systems, one for home, and one for away) that your particular concern is insignificant. For people with 2 3DS systems, just buy the cart if you're that concerned.
I will. So there's no argument here.

DiscoJer

Crap. I just bought a 3DS because I didn't think the Vita was getting enough games.

People who think this will be more convenient somehow are being very short-sighted. Does it really matter if you can carry more games around if publishers stop producing games for it?

Despite massive sales of the DS, we saw fewer and fewer games get released for it because of the ease of piracy thanks to flashcarts. The 3DS hasn't had great software support so far, though not terrible, but it's going to only get worse thanks to this.

Linkhero1

What if they don't want to carry those games with them at all times?

And? The software sales got affected. Again, this isn't a solution, this is just a sidestep to a problem that leads to an even bigger problem.

Show me proof that those pirates would have bought those games that were supposedly affected.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Look at the DS.

Hey look, I did what you did. Do I get a cookie?

Just because it the effects weren't severe on one platform doesn't means it's effects can't be severe. Basically like any pathogen.

It's foolish to think just because it didn't happen once that it won't happen the next time. In any scenario you'll want to minimise or remove it if it has a very obvious possible negative effect.

Also who says it didn't greatly affect the DS? The DS was a sales juggernaut to it's effect wouldn't be as noticeable anyway.

So you paid full retail price for games you can't then trade in or sell or lend just for the convenience of traveling with your full library.. SMH.

Of course. I have nobody to lend to, and I know I'm not going to trade in Fire Emblem Awakening ever since I never trade in Fire Emblem games.

Someone doesn't have the same priorities as you! Insanity, right?

Neo Child

Banned
thing is after looking at the website

you basically have to carry around each game on a seprete microSD card so you dont have the luxury of all the games on one cart because youd have to chop and change. may as well carry your actual 3ds cart.

UNLESS ITS CHEAPER BUYING MICROSDCARDS &DOWNLLOADING THEM ILLEGALY FOR SHAME

Portugeezer

Somali-pirates-001.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
So what was the excuse on the DS?
People used it to carry around their entirely library then too. Shocker, I know. You can go look at the DS flashcart threads that were active at the time where people with huge DS collections used them for that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If only everyone thought that way rather than "sweet, free games!" because I really do not want the 3DS's rise fucked up by ease of piracy as the case seemed to be for DS and PSP.

hangon.... DS was one of the best selling handhelds of all time and piracy was easy and rampant.... How did this damage DS?

Lettuce

For me personally it would be nice to have all my games on 1 cart, rather than paying Eshops ridiculous Digital Download prices for retail games!!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Of course. I have nobody to lend to, and I know I'm not going to trade in Fire Emblem Awakening ever since I never trade in Fire Emblem games.

How many digital download games have you bought at full retail?

Linkhero1

Just because it the effects weren't severe on one platform doesn't means it's effects can't be severe. Basically like any pathogen.

It's foolish to think just because it didn't happen once that it won't happen the next time. In any scenario you'll want to minimise or remove it if it has a very obvious possible negative effect.

Okay. Now show me direct proof that piracy was the reason that PSP didn't receive support. I'm basically doing the same thing as you. The DS got support while it had a much larger piracy scene than PSP. It's foolish to think that piracy alone affects publishers decisions to bring a game to a platform.

Also who says it didn't greatly affect the DS? The DS was a sales juggernaut to it's effect wouldn't be as noticeable anyway.

So you can't prove it? Okay.

DaBoss

Show me proof that those pirates would have bought those games that were supposedly affected.

Are you really going to be that obtuse? If one can't pirate it, they would have to BUY it or NOT BUY it. There definitely would have been more software sales if there wasn't a way to pirate the software.

Maedhros

Okay. Now show me direct proof that piracy was the reason that PSP didn't receive support. I'm basically doing the same thing as you. The DS got support while it had a much larger piracy scene than PSP. It's foolish to think that piracy alone affects publishers decisions to bring a game to a platform.

Unless he's a publisher himself, I don't think that's really possible to answer.

Are you really going to be that obtuse? If one can't pirate it, they would have to BUY it or NOT BUY it. There definitely would have been more software sales if there wasn't a way to pirate the software.
Not definitely. What if everyone choosed to NOT buy it?

Linkhero1

Most of the time they would lean towards not purchasing it or buying it used. So then what?

Unless he's a publisher himself, I don't think that's really possible to answer.

Then that would mean his claim can't be backed either.

yami4ct

Well, I expect Nintendo to start forced firmware updates built onto first party cards to start any day now. If this does in fact break the system open for piracy, Pokemon will certainly require an update to break this at the very least.

That's strange.
You know, because some have different priorities than you!
WHAT A CRAZY WORLD WE LIVE IN.

Seriously.
Not everyone likes the eShop. Can you say that there is no excuse for not using it?
You like it because you don't have to worry about lending or collecting. That's cool.
I like it because of the neat new games that are in it, but not the retail aspect. That's cool.
Others don't like it at all.

If you like it, that doesn't mean that everyone does.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

So you can't prove it? Okay.

I'll see I can find it but there's more than evidence that the rampant piracy on the psp were part of the reasons for it's pitiful software sales.

stuminus3

Banned
Moral discussions aside, this kind of thing just seems more of a hassle than it's worth these days. It's not like the days of the OG DS where there was no online store and there was very little reason to ever connect the system to the internet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
However, if it's one game per SD card as I'm reading here, it won't probably affect that much 3DS software sales (if Nintendo will never try to stop it...and that's not a so likely scenario). DS games saw a decrease in sales (big in Europe) because R4 sold were sold with 10-20-30 games, and having so many games on just one card, for such a low price was convenient. Having one game per SD card, instead? Not at all.

Top Bottom