• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

Nice to see someone who actually knows how to play. The Wuhu course looks great too. You drive all the way to the top and then glide down to the bottom for the finish.

Sinthetic

Not going to spoil myself by seeing all the tracks, but the first video (1st minute) looks amazing.

Shy guy is so cute with his flappy arms.

...oh my god, this is looking better and better with each new video.

It's going to be so great to hop online and race for a while before bed.

m.i.s.

Banned
storafötter;32851140 said:
Good to hear as Super Mario 3d Land was a disappointment for me. I cant wait for this possible GOTY!

Have their actually been any reviews for Mario Kart 7 yet?

Have their actually been any reviews for Mario Kart 7 yet?

No, and I don't know when the embargo ends. My Googling on the matter has been pathetic. Nintendo has been holding preview events with journalists for a while now, so every gaming site should have a preview up by now.

That Wuhu Island track is amazing. I don't know what happened in between the development of the Wii game and this, but I'm so happy that there's less of an emphasis on track gimmicks and a whole lot more of that sweet, sweet drifting. I was fearful of the impact of kites on the gameplay, but it looks like they augment the racing rather than make it less fun.

I'm still not sold on the underwater racing, though. Going in and out of water over and over just doesn't seem like a pleasant racing environment (not to mention that awful feeling of getting water in your ears), but I'm certainly open to being convinced otherwise.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just got another hacker while playing MKWii the other day. Called "WiihackU"(derp) and had some hack that allowed him and his guest to finish 1st and 2nd, no matter how far behind they were. I was 1st for the whole race, i was far ahead of everyone else, and noticed my rank going from 1st to 3rd in a matter of seconds right before i reached the end.

I sincerely hope i wont see this crap on MK7.

Berordn

There's no way for them to hack yet, so you'll be fine. Once flash karts start spreading around, then we'll have issues.

I'm actually surprised at the relative lack of hackers online in MKWii. Some of us GAFfers play a few times a week and the odds of getting a hacker are pretty slim, even though it's easier than ever. Gotta admit, though, some hackers are fun. Anytime a race becomes an absolute mess because of all the blue/red/green shells flying everywhere, it always loosens the mood.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well, its not that bad at least on MKWii, despite the game being 3 years old. Only saw 2 hackers in the last weeks and i did a lot of worldwide games.

Speaking of MKWii worldwide... i have yet to see someone from Africa or Asia(other than Japan). And everyone from Europe seems to be from countries around germany/netherlands/denmark. :lol No one from Italy, UK, Spain, Sweden, Russia and so on. Think i saw 1 guy from France and that's it. Most players are from the US. I wish it was "real" worldwide.

Well that makes some sense, given the almost total lack of a Nintendo presence in certain parts of the world. Also, the location thing is weird; it accurately points out people in Texas or the east coast of the US, but it reports me as being from the east coast (I'm from the Midwest). I would bet that a lot of those European players just end up getting reported as Germans.

I wouldn't expect it to change with MK7, though. My guess is that 90%+ of players will be from the US, Japan, or western Europe.

Rhod said:
Communities feature means you can just race with trusted players, right?
Yes, unless other people get the code to the community. Or maybe there's a moderator and he/she can ban people from the community, or you can password protect it... I have no clue. One of the many things I was wondering about -- what if you have 5 people playing in a community race/event/battle? Can you recruit random players from worldwide to join you and have a full race? As an extension of that idea, would you be able to select a certain item distribution and invite random players? Is there an option when you connect to join up with communities that are looking for players?

I'm still very out of the loop on community features. The glory of SNES Rainbow Road put me in a daze and I've been unable to read anything about the game until last night.

I was thinking about MK 7's online randomly recently, and I became super excited. If what they say is true, then the whole "private server" thing is going to make the online soooo good. Can't wait to play battle mode online, though I generally suck at it.

Is there a Community thread for MK Wii? Would enjoy racing with people better than me for once. :p (as opposed to most of my friends)

Amazingly, I haven't seen too many MK Wii hackers either. The most technically interesting hack I've seen is one that always gets your stage picked in the roulette. I always wonder how that works, and what would happen if two people used it at once.

beril

Diddy Kong has to be in, with the DKCR track and Retro's involvement. It doesn't make sense for him NOT to be in, considering a couple of the other character choices. Especially since was a full-fledged Brawl character and had his own racing game.

Diddy isn't really part of the Mario universe though. Of course the line between Mario and DKC is a bit blurry and even more so when the Kong level is based on DKCR rather than classic DK or Mario vs Donkey Kong, but I'm pretty sure Diddy still haven't appeared alongside Mario in a game except for Smash. And if they start using side characters from spinoff series, they might as well use WarioWare characters, and Jimmy T should be the first in line

Kusagari

Diddy isn't really part of the Mario universe though. Of course the line between Mario and DKC is a bit blurry and even more so when the Kong level is based on DKCR rather than classic DK or Mario vs Donkey Kong, but I'm pretty sure Diddy still haven't appeared alongside Mario in a game except for Smash. And if they start using side characters from spinoff series, they might as well use WarioWare characters, and Jimmy T should be the first in line

Diddy was already in Mario Kart Wii. There's zero reason to take him out.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So who's getting this? Mine is pre-ordered and paid full.

Are we having a NeoGAF Mario Kart 7 Community?

I remember the Mario Kart where you would have to be fished out and lose a lot of time if you fell into deep water
KuGsj.gif

this is so strange that underwater is such a major part of this game

Rainbow Road looks amazing, I love the way the kid is making his dad watch and record all of that btw. The poor guy doesn't sound that interested but he doesn't wanna sound disinterested either :lol

Top Bottom