• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Ferr986

maybe they will release the game on the 24th for those that own both Ashes of Ariandel and Ringed City...would be a nice gift to the fans...plus From Software is known for unlocking DLC early...I remember the final Dark Souls 2 DLC (Crown of the Ivory King) unlocked 6-8 hours early

Nah, Kimmundi said DLC is on the 28th. 4 days is different than some hours.

edit: reposting from the other thread

Reminder about the server maintenance for tomorrow

PS4
2017/03/24 Fri 02:00am-04:00am CET // 2017/03/23 Thu 06:00pm-08:00pm PST

XB1
2017/03/24 Fri 02:00am-08:00am CET // 2017/03/23 Thu 07:00pm-12:00am PST

Steam
2017/03/24 Fri 09:00am-11:00am CET // 2017/03/24 Fri 01:00am-3:00am PST

Patch will be up to download 1 hour before the maintenance ends

I'm avoiding details on the DLC, but just based on the initial promo, I wonder if the
Usurper
ending will be the one that offers the most story/lore. Seems like that is the one that offers up the most content in the base game.

Stevey

I just beat Ornstein and Smough in NG+ for the first time and it feels so good. The Zweihander's long stab after a roll is so awesome.

I remember giving up on NG+ thanks to O&S back in 2012 and it feels great to finally kick their asses so many years later.

edit: Now only Sif, The Four Kings, and Gwyn are left.

Another edit: NG+ Four Kings is brutal

Second to last edit: Now I'm on Gwyn, dude is wrecking me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755000

:)

I'm avoiding details on the DLC, but just based on the initial promo, I wonder if the
Usurper
ending will be the one that offers the most story/lore. Seems like that is the one that offers up the most content in the base game.

Atm we have no idea, but I imagine there will be something there, for that ending.

Anyway. I finished my Friede + Vilhelm co op cosplay run today. All bosses down...Nameless King kicked us around two or three times, but then even the Firstborn was powerless before the might of Dorhys' Gnawing. Soul of Cinder remains a really good boss, mechanics, music and all. I want a lore boss, a surprise boss, and a holy shit how does Miyazaki expect me to beat this boss from Ringed City...

First playthrough finished!

\[T]/

Soul of cinder was an interesting surprise. Not my favourite duel, but good enough.

For the ending
I summoned the fire keeper. Purely because she mentioned that the embers will return in the future.

Toxi

Banned
Friede becomes a lot easier once you learn her combo patterns. My typical strategy is to just wait at mid range and then either rush in if she doesn't do a combo or keep my distance if she does a combo until she goes for the ending strike.

I'd honestly say Nameless King is hardest if you're not using projectiles. Why? Because he changes the timing of his attacks. So your muscle memory will fail you.

Hikami

Man.. anyone mind telling me where to go next?

Started up the game to get ready for the DLC and forgot I stopped midway through an NG+ run playing with the Onyx Blade.

Been so long since I last played. I think Deacons was the last thing I killed?

Toxi

Banned
Man.. anyone mind telling me where to go next?

Started up the game to get ready for the DLC and forgot I stopped midway through an NG+ run playing with the Onyx Blade.

Been so long since I last played. I think Deacons was the last thing I killed?
Farron Keep or the Catacombs should be your next destination.

lionpants

Good news, game looks better on PS4 pro now. Increased res?

Bad news... The variable frame rate is absolute shit and frame pacing is still not fixed. I swear it jumps from 40-50 down to 30 and back constantly. Why even bother FROM?????

I don't think it looks better... unless you're using a 4K TV?

For me using a 1080p TV it is clear they just unlocked the frame rate, which is bad news, because it mostly hovers between 45-60 which feels jerky and looks very distracting.

Look at the sky and then look across the buildings of High Wall of Lothric for example and you can see how looking at the sky gives 60fps while looking at literally anything normal messes it up.

Anustart

Fun fact, ringed city will be the first time I've experienced any part of dark souls at the same time the rest of the community is.

Got ds1,2 and 3 late. Season pass go!

Good news, game looks better on PS4 pro now. Increased res?

Bad news... The variable frame rate is absolute shit and frame pacing is still not fixed. I swear it jumps from 40-50 down to 30 and back constantly. Why even bother FROM?????

So now it's basically DS2 on 360, because I hated the unlocked framerate.

lionpants

So now it's basically DS2 on 360, because I hated the unlocked framerate.
I mean... I didn't expect much. But come on... FFS. Why do devs keep doing this shit with PS4 pro patches.

And yes, I'm using a 4k OLED (TV reports 2160p), I swear it looks better. Runs even more shit now though.

I'm going to try forcing to 1080p and see what happens.

Edit: Changing the res did nothing. Same shit performance.

Jobbs

Banned
I loaded a few different areas prior to the patch just to remind myself how bad it was on PS4 and after the patch I almost couldn't be more pleased.

It does appear to be unlocked and varying a bit, but the improvement is dramatic. I don't have enough underlines for the font to make the point sufficiently. I can't understand how some people would be negative on this change. The game absolutely came alive with this patch (if you have a pro).

After getting the PC version for the launch of the previous DLC, I came to find the PS4 version unplayable because of how far superior the PC experience was (which was a shame, because I like playing at my PS4). Now it's definitely playable and I think I'll be returning home to PS4 for the new DLC.

Incidentally, during my tests I got summoned as a blue phantom and noticed that there's a glowy spirit realm effect on the world now when playing as one.

edit: here's a pro patch FPS video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdD5d4L-zow

I mean... I didn't expect much. But come on... FFS.

I find it amazing anyone would complain about a pro patch making a game transformatively better. This is the among the best examples of pro support.

Hikami

I've discovered the wonders of Rapport with this Pyromancy NG+ playthrough I'm doing. Hope it's effective in the new DLC, would love to take that in there.

I've discovered the wonders of Rapport with this Pyromancy NG+ playthrough I'm doing. Hope it's effective in the new DLC, would love to take that in there.
Funny thing about Rapport; I always thought you had to be touching the enemy to use. It wasn't until DS3 that I found out you can just target enemies with it. Doh! It is a fun pyro for sure, even more so when you know how to use it properly! :3

Jobbs

Banned
Heavy weapons got a lot better in general.

My heavy bastard sword with 40 str is up to 560 from 436.

edit: I should say 509, I realize I had lloyds sword ring on

I read someone say heavy claymore is now great as well, which is good. Hopefully claymore can be a thing again.

Ferr986

Posted at Reddit

Sharp Crow Quills (12 str 40 dex) - 364 AR (down from 389)

Sharp Lothric Knight Sword - 366 AR (up from 336)

Sharp Gotthard Twinswords - 348 AR (up from 337)

Sharp Follower Sabre - 365 AR (up from 353)

Sharp Estoc - 354 AR (up from 338)

Sharp Sellsword Twinblades - 353 AR (same as before)

Sharp Uchigatana - 379 AR (up from 369 AR)

Sharp Ricard's Rapier - 345 AR (up from 337 AR)

Sharp Onikiri & Udabachi (14 str 40 dex) - 369 AR (up from 342)

Sharp Lothric Spear - 398 AR (up from 365)

Sharp Great Scythe - 375 AR (up from 366)

Sharp Crow Talons - 332 AR (down from 338)

Heavy Millwood Battle Axe (40 str 13 dex) - 468 AR (up from 466 AR)

Heavy Claymore - 479 AR (up from 416)

Heavy Estoc - 334 AR (up from 319)

Heavy Greataxe - 599 AR (same as before)

Heavy Mace - 440 AR (up from 397)

Heavy Warpick - 429 AR (up from 416)

Heavy Great Club - 551 AR (up from 549)

Heavy Great Mace - 573 AR (up from 502)

Heavy Pickaxe - 488 AR (up from 476)

Heavy Follower Javelin - 387 AR (up from 381)

Heavy Zweihander (40 str 13 dex) - 529 AR (up from 479 AR)

Heavy Greatsword (40 str 13 dex) - 569 AR (up from 502) - holy moly!

Heavy Club - 419 AR (up from 384)

Heavy Lothric Knight Greatsword (40 str 18 dex) - 629 AR (up from 572)

with 40 faith Lightning Blade (Canvas Talisman) gets me 800 AR

adding Priestess Ring gets 810 AR

adding Lightning Clutch Ring gets 863 AR

Heavy Dark Sword - 409 AR (up from 382)

Heavy Exile Greatsword (40 str 18 dex) - 589 AR (up from 482) - go home From, you're drunk.

Heavy Murakumo (40 str 18 dex) - 467 AR (up from 420 AR)

Heavy Broadsword - 410 AR (up from 390)

Heavy Shortsword - 343 AR (up from 327)

Heavy Reinforced Club - 404 AR (up from 394)

Heavy Caestus - 316 AR (up from 300)

Heavy Greatlance (66 str) - 523 AR (was below 400)

Refined Longsword (27 str 40 dex) - 393 AR (same as before)

Refined Lothric Knight Sword - 378 AR (same as before)

Refined Gotthard Twinswords - 357 AR (same as before)

Valorheart - 362 AR (same as before)

Refined Claymore - 455 AR (down from 469 AR) - Heavy Claymore with 40 str and 13 dex is now better.

Black Knight Sword - 496 AR (same as before)

Refined Zweihander - 503 AR (down from 518 AR)

Refined Follower Sabre - 371 AR (down from 378 AR)

Refined Estoc - 350 AR (down from 357 AR)

Refined Washing Pole - 370 AR (down from 382 AR) - better off going normal upgrade path.

Refined Onikiri & Udabachi - 357 AR (364 AR) - better off going normal upgrade path.

Refined Red Hilted Halberd - 442 AR (same as before)

Refined Lucerne - 433 AR (same as before)

Did not change:

Dragonslayer's Spear

Dragonslayer's Greataxe

Morne's Great Hammer

Yhorm's Great Machete

Frost on Vordt's Great Hammer went from 60 to 110.

Also, the DLC is acces is at
the Kiln, via a new bonfire

Apparently dlc is now out today?

I think it's available to some "influencers" etc and for reviews today, but it's like the Old Hunters where there is an assets patch the week before with rebalances, then the DLC the week after. So Old Hunters was like 10gb and apparently Ringed City is the tiniest bit larger, but by 10s of mb, not GBs :p

I think it's available to some "influencers" etc and for reviews today, but it's like the Old Hunters where there is an assets patch the week before with rebalances, then the DLC the week after. So Old Hunters was like 10gb and apparently Ringed City is the tiniest bit larger, but by 10s of mb, not GBs :p

I'll check my x1 since its got season pass on it, but its apparently 24th if you own it.

Ferr986

I'll check my x1 since its got season pass on it, but its apparently 24th if you own it.

24th is only the new arenas for owners of Ariandel and Season Pass.
The DLC itself is 28th for everyone.

Also, almost everything is getting spoiled right now so watch out lol I'm avoiding areas and bosses but saw some new weapons.... DAMN!

24th is only the new arenas for owners of Ariandel and Season Pass.
The DLC itself is 28th for everyone.

Also, almost everything is getting spoiled right now so watch out lol I'm avoiding areas and bosses but saw some new weapons.... DAMN!
Ah okay....and yea but the cost of media blackout is not even knowing how this thing is releasing!

Just loaded up a save to look at armor weight...and I guess I was expecting too much. I thought there would be a moderate reduction in armor weight, but it's more like I can tweak one piece of gear to stay under 70%. Maybe the tweak was more to the heaviest armor, to stay under 100%, so I probably read it wrong.

Some of the heavy infusion numbers did get a nice boost, though. The best looking weapon in the game, the Cathedral Knight Greatsword, finally does good damage on the strength build. The Lothric Knight Greatsword now does more damage with a heavy gem, as opposed to (some reason) doing more previously with a refined gem on a strength build.

Just loaded up a save to look at armor weight...and I guess I was expecting too much. I thought there would be a moderate reduction in armor weight, but it's more like I can tweak one piece of gear to stay under 70%. Maybe the tweak was more to the heaviest armor, to stay under 100%, so I probably read it wrong.

Some of the heavy infusion numbers did get a nice boost, though. The best looking weapon in the game, the Cathedral Knight Greatsword, finally does good damage on the strength build. The Lothric Knight Greatsword now does more damage with a heavy gem, as opposed to (some reason) doing more previously with a refined gem on a strength build.
Any note of the changes?

Ferr986

Tweak was indeed for heavy armors.

Manu

Sharp Uchi at +10 changes DEX scaling from C to A now, giving it a 10 AR bonus at 50 DEX vs the old 1 AR bonus (yeah, seriously.)

Bleed was also reduced from 35 to 30 so it's not as big a nerf as I was expecting.

Ferr986

They finally added Ornstein's plume.

Reddit is going crazy about the friggin plume lol

Sharp Uchi at +10 changes DEX scaling from C to A now, giving it a 10 AR bonus at 50 DEX vs the old 1 AR bonus (yeah, seriously.)

Bleed was also reduced from 35 to 30 so it's not as big a nerf as I was expecting.

Yeah some weapons had their scaling changed when infused. Sharp infused Corvian Scythe is now S scaling with DEX.

Some nice changes to strength weapons, but FUGS stays losing. Maybe next patch they'll increase the AR by 5, and up the weight to 300 pounds.

Top Bottom