• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Whales

Banned
Oh, and also, re: Lothric Castle
do we really need to have Ornstein as a boss in every damn game?! I get it, he's a great design that they knocked out of the park and From is super proud of it but...geez. Sometimes less is more.

Now on to the Archives and DLC!

huh? that boss wasn't
Ornstein
at all unless im remembering super wrong

Made significant progress last night. Finished up Lothric Castle and 2 optional areas
untended graves and archdragon peak

Untended Graves was very creepy and one of the only times since Tomb of the Giants I've explored with a torch out. The familiarity of the area meant it wasn't really necessary but added to the atmosphere. Champion G is something else...wow. Extremely mobile and aggressive. Lots of cool lore related stuff there that I'll have to wiki at some point.

Archdragon Peak seemed derivitive of the Dragon Aerie so didn't impress as much, but the bosses were certainly memorable. Nameless King and King of the Storm had an especially cool design. Actually it was very reminiscent of Warhammer fantasy battle aesthetic. On another note, I could do without seeing Havel on the roof. Or the president of the Havel fan club or whoever it is.

Oh, and also, re: Lothric Castle
do we really need to have Ornstein as a boss in every damn game?! I get it, he's a great design that they knocked out of the park and From is super proud of it but...geez. Sometimes less is more.

Now on to the Archives and DLC!

He isn't a boss in Lothric Castle though.

my lore recollection is kinda messy but
supposedly Ornstein and Nameless King were in Lothric and changed their knights from Dragon Hunters to Dragon Tamers that they would ride into battle. Hence the Warrior of the Sun shrine in Lothric Castle and lion effigies around the place

bremon

Yes, exactly my point. It's not "Ornstein", but come on. It's basically Ornstein. Just like in DS2... that argument boils down to "it's not 6, it's half a dozen!"

huh? that boss wasn't
Ornstein
at all unless im remembering super wrong
An empty suit of armor controlled by freaky bugs. Just happens to have same armor, Lightning weapon, etc. Just like Havel isn't Havel isn't Havel, but it's an enemy that's a carbon copy in every game with a different lore explanation. "It's not him though!" still handwaves some lazy fan service away.

Yes, exactly my point. It's not "Ornstein", but come on. It's basically Ornstein. Just like in DS2... that argument boils down to "it's not 6, it's half a dozen!"

The moveset is totally different, the armor has small but noticiable differences, and uses a totally diiferent weapon combination.

Is not the same as in DS2.

Whales

Banned

An empty suit of armor controlled by freaky bugs. Just happens to have same armor, Lightning weapon, etc. Just like Havel isn't Havel isn't Havel, but it's an enemy that's a carbon copy in every game with a different lore explanation. "It's not him though!" still handwaves some lazy fan service away.

his weapon isnt the same at all, his moveset isn't close to ornstein either

also his weapon is basically
that fucking he shield he uses, because jesus christ he likes bashing it around... lol

The armor looks different enough to me IMO

bremon

The moveset is totally different, the armor has small but noticiable differences, and uses a totally diiferent weapon combination.

Is not the same as in DS2.

his weapon isnt the same at all, his moveset isn't close to ornstein either

also his weapon is basically
that fucking he shield he uses, because jesus christ he likes bashing it around... lol

The armor looks different enough to me IMO

I will concede the point to you guys. They clearly made an effort to change the encounters.
that savage shield especially, as mentioned
. I guess I just wish they changed the aesthetic, put more effort into making a different design. I get it, time is diluted, cycles repeat, etc. etc. but this and
Havel the Rock, Havel Knight
just don't sit right for me. By comparison
The Nameless King and King of the Storm was a far more memorable encounter, and a great expansion of the lore that had been speculated on since DS1

Even Crystal Sage is a better homage to Big Hat Logan than the ever popular empty armor.

Hey I talked about him too respond to me :mad:
Congrats on the "gitting gud"! Heavy exile got a huge buff from what I've read that has it in ridiculous damage territory now. Reddit seems to be losing it about it.

Doing a FTH build with a blessed broadsword has been tougher than I expected, but it came through during my SL48 victory over Friede. Didn't have to Estus as much during the final phase thanks to it.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I'm happy this thread is still going strong!

Just picked the game up for PC and am starting a character.

When should I start Ashes of Ariandel?

-obligatory "I'm-sorry-for-asking-something-that-no-doubt-has-been-answered-already-but-I'm-new-to-the-thread-so-I'm-asking-again-sorry-sorry-sorry"-

Gnawing/Dorhys Gnawing will carry you through bosses.

Just got into Irithyll, so I don't have Karla yet, but I'm about to get Dorhys. Hopefully it's better than the supernerfed lightning spears (though watching DSP's playthrough of Dark Souls II, I know why they did but still).

Edit: Also hate how bad the broadsword's 2H moveset is, as it forces me to use it 1H.

Goldboy

I'm happy this thread is still going strong!

Just picked the game up for PC and am starting a character.

When should I start Ashes of Ariandel?

-obligatory "I'm-sorry-for-asking-something-that-no-doubt-has-been-answered-already-but-I'm-new-to-the-thread-so-I'm-asking-again-sorry-sorry-sorry"-

I'd wait until you're level 75+. It gets very difficult.

Whales

Banned
I will concede the point to you guys. They clearly made an effort to change the encounters.
that savage shield especially, as mentioned
. I guess I just wish they changed the aesthetic, put more effort into making a different design. I get it, time is diluted, cycles repeat, etc. etc. but this and
Havel the Rock, Havel Knight
just don't sit right for me. By comparison
The Nameless King and King of the Storm was a far more memorable encounter, and a great expansion of the lore that had been speculated on since DS1

Even Crystal Sage is a better homage to Big Hat Logan than the ever popular empty armor.

Congrats on the "gitting gud"! Heavy exile got a huge buff from what I've read that has it in ridiculous damage territory now. Reddit seems to be losing it about it.

There is a lore reason ( well, maybe, not sure if its a ''good'' theory but it makes sense) about why
Havel is in Archdragon peaks.

I won't spoil it for you in case you want to discover it by yourself though. It is a nice ''twist''homage to DS1 too, in the same way
the nameless king
is

Hey I talked about him too respond to me :mad:

You should try the pure rolling more, it's a lot more fun than having a shield IMO!

I quite literally play every souls game with rolls only, 2h, no shield. Obviously that wasn't the case when I started in DS1, but thats how I played DS2 and 3 :p

Toxi

Banned
This is Ornstein.

darksouls_dragon_slayer_ornstein_for_xnalara_xps_by_mgsraiden-d8jk0pc.png

This is Dragonslayer Armour.

041216-221015886-big.jpg

Any questions?

Nimby

Banned
Did they seal off the opening from the start of Irithyll Dungeon into Smoldering Lake in an earlier patch? Seems weird why they would that.

Nimby

Banned
...Irithyll Dungeon was never connected to Smoldering Lake.

Like the end of Irithyll where Alva would invade if embered, going into the dungeon. There used to be a hole in the wall across the pit. Not a physical connection.

this: http://imgur.com/gallery/RjKK7

nevermind i'm stupid apparently. I noticed how badly stretched the rock textures were and just assumed that they covered it up for some reason. I remember being able to see that hole from the opposite side though, but it's not visible.

Im interested in the Design Works book just for all the cut content, or how they got to this point.

Edit: Apparently the final boss or the optional boss is the hardest boss in DS3. If you think of Nameless King + Blackflame Friede as hard it's on their level or above.

*prepares to die*

bigol

It seems like there are
4 bosses (3 main story, 1 optional)
, the dlc seems to be 4-7 hours long (twice the size of Ashes of Ariandel)

Ferr986

Man all of those new weapons makes me want to create new builds but I don't see myself having the strenght to finish the game all those times again.

How I wish the bottomless box glitch from DS1 was a thing here...

Seeing your avatar, that's a perfect Yoko Taro response lol

Seeing the new weapons, I expect everyone running one of them. They all seem to be very good and have WA done right.

The
double greatswords looks cool as fuck.

Is shitty that in the arena on PC, so many people already using them. Stupid release dates, why don't release on Friday?

Super wasn't kidding about Dorhys'. Thanks to bleed it cut right through Sulyvahn's health and, while he dodged it in his second phase, it made sure I could take out his double at a distance.

Kazuhira

Is it me or the performance went to shit after the last update for the pc version? No matter which settings or resolution i choose,i can't get more than 40fps.

Super wasn't kidding about Dorhys'. Thanks to bleed it cut right through Sulyvahn's health and, while he dodged it in his second phase, it made sure I could take out his double at a distance.

Dorhys is awesome. In my headcanon I'm replacing Velka with Dorhys. Also Dorhys makes NK's second form comparatively trivial.

Also what the shit but the DLC is tomorrow at 10am-12pm CET for Steam?

MaKTaiL

Guys, I just downloaded the game on my PS4. When I open it says there is a new update and does not let me be online. There is no update though. Are the servers down?

Goldboy

Anyone else love the Nameless King fight but think it's so lame that you have to fight King of the Storm every time? Totally kills my desire to keep fighting this boss after dying a couple times.

Toxi

Banned
Anyone else love the Nameless King fight but think it's so lame that you have to fight King of the Storm every time? Totally kills my desire to keep fighting this boss after dying a couple times.
It really is crappy. It's not like Ludwig where there are two awesome phases; the Nameless King is clearly one filler phase you're supposed to burn through and one awesome phase.

karasu

Okay so I avoided that naked samurai dude on the left side of Firelink Shrine, but now I've run into a fucking dragon and all I have is a fucking spear!! :(

It really is crappy. It's not like Ludwig where there are two awesome phases; the Nameless King is clearly one filler phase you're supposed to burn through and one awesome phase.

His first phase is extremely bad, but his second phase is so good (especially since he's a traditional Dark Souls boss instead of super-mega-combo-X-treme like a lot of other bosses in DS3), that I can't keep him out of my top 5 favourite bosses in the whole Souls series.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I have a love/hate relationship with King of the Storm.

I like how the fight forces you to play without lock-on to some degree and I wish this was something you had to do more often.

I also dislike him because I got stomped by the Nameless King so consistently my first time I got tired of phase one.

Kieli

Did they optimize this game in recent patches? I'm getting a solid 60 fps everywhere whereas before I'd be down to 54 - 57 fps.

So with the custom games so far paintball is my favourite

But. . .these boss lobbies are garbage with their slow movement speed and usually against a one hit kill boss

Top Bottom