• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates react to their games being pirated in Game Dev Tycoon

Sophia

Damn that's rough haha.

Reminds me a little of TMNT3 on NES that had an anti-piracy protection thing that checked if the Konami logo was missing from the title screen, which would usually be the case with a pirate copy. If it was missing, the enemies took many more hits to kill and dealt more damage. And Shredder was unbeatable.

Nowadays I think anti-piracy checks that are blatant are much more effective than ones that ruin the game. Let them know they're playing a pirated copy and shame the player significantly.

Game Dev Tycoon's developers might have not made their obvious enough, it seems.

Slavik81

This is kind of what happens when a "pirated" version is released within minutes of the store's opening.

Good job cannibalizing your own sales to make a point about piracy, guys. Really, stellar work.
Isn't it DRM free? The real version would be uploaded shortly anyways and they needed to be there before it.

Edit: Their site is erroring for me now. I can't confirm that.

I almost feel obliged in buying the game for reading the sad developer story on their website. Hard to fathom that there are people on the world who can not even shell out a measly 8 bucks.

Game Guru

They're gonna pick it up because they always make something out of nothing for hits, otherwise it's not at all uncommon, plus other games do this kind of thing technically better by having it as part of the DRM so until discovered and properly cracked every illegally distributed version has it rather than only a separate special version of the game uploaded by themselves that technically isn't even pirating since they basically just released a free altered (and bad) version of their game.

Actually this is quite different... It's using the format of the game, being a game about being a game developer, to make a comment about piracy to the guys who are actually pirating. It's also effective satire, showing the consequences of piracy in an exaggerated way within the pirated game itself.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Random question, but is the game any good?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That's actually what I suspected which was why I posted that link to the Steam thread to get GAF detectives working. The Steam user that posted the thread is "corporalhicks" and I thought he was going to turn out to be a shell account but based on his library it's entirely possible that he really did pirate it because his library is filled with cheap games and games from bundles.

aww lawd we all pirates now

Isn't it DRM free? The real version would be uploaded shortly anyways and they needed to be there before it.
Usually companies that release their products DRM free are less obsessed with how many copies of the game get pirated.

Lyonaz

I hope the next DRM anti-piracy method have you log in with facebook and just autopost pirate themed updates. That would be fun.

DBT85

Funny when they whinge about pirates but steal the idea for the game from other developers.

I've not played this game or others in the genre, so forgive me, but have they done a Zynga and blatantly copied existing games or is this game just in the same ballpark as others?

Dabanton

I've not played this game or others in the genre, so forgive me, but have they done a Zynga and blatantly copied existing games or is this game just in the same ballpark as others?

His probably referring to Game Dev Story. Which this looks very similar too

But I love these kind of games and I like the look of this one.

Replicant

That's a genius. And LOL @ RL pirates protesting that their (in-game) hardwork is being pirated by (in-game) pirates.

We need to go deeper, me thinks.

Darryl

Banned
Good job cannibalizing your own sales to make a point about piracy, guys. Really, stellar work.

give up some early launch sales in exchange for this huge free advertising campaign, i think they did some pretty stellar work ya

ascii42

This is kind of what happens when a "pirated" version is released within minutes of the store's opening.

Right. The developers practically forced people to download the pirate copy by doing that...

J.W.Crazy

That's actually what I suspected which was why I posted that link to the Steam thread to get GAF detectives working. The Steam user that posted the thread is "corporalhicks" and I thought he was going to turn out to be a shell account but it's entirely possible that he really did pirate it because his account has been active since 2009 and his library is filled with cheap games and games from bundles.

It'd be great if it was actual pirates but it wouldn't be the first time somebody used a preexisting account for viral marketing.

At least they have an original concept for a game.

image.php

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What kind of DRM did The Witcher have?

If you played it, you were tainted by interesting story telling and all other western RPG stories seemed unplayable afterwards.

Mithos

So where are the pirates, I can't see any? All I can see are people downloading 2 different legit versions of the game.

So the title of the thread is wrong.

usea

wanted to buy but:

I think they should get a better hosting
I put a mirror link in the OP. This site is currently trending on several major news aggregators and their site has been killed.

edit: sorry, I misread your post. You wanted to buy, not read the blog post. Yeah, those shouldn't even be on the same box.

Isn't this kind of hypocritical when they stole their idea from Game Dev Story?
No.

Toma

So where are the pirates, I can't see any? All I can see are people downloading 2 different legit versions of the game.

I agree, its basically a demo.

There's a demo you can try. I'm currently trying to find it :lol

Isnt the "cracked version" basically the demo?

Boss! We've successfully managed to utilize a highly effective technique to create a game. Using SingGa's ideology we created a game that taps into a creative fountain of knowledge to create a game many people adore. All we need now is to implement a viral gimmick! Deploy the pirated version to gain thousands of dollars in free advertising to off-set the lost sales of this marketing ploy! We'll sell more than ever before.

[ : -) ]

Takao

Banned
Yeah, it's a little too on the nose. Especially the line about the new engine. I may just be cynical but it seems like viral marketing to me.

Game Dev Tycoon has you develop engines. I just played the demo and sucked at it. My best selling game pushed 20k on the NTES. ;_;

sakipon

You could still consider the early downloaders pirates (at heart). Imagine apples are free but the store owner doesn't tell anyone about it. Someone comes, pockets some apples and runs out. Legal but not honest.

Delio

Tried to get the demo but yeah site is getting hammered I guess. I loved Game Dev story so much so im more than ready for this.

Toma

Thing is... THEY uploaded a version of the game that is restricted and obviously not the full version.

Honest question here, isnt it technically a demo as well? As I see it, they now have 2 different demos out there. I dont see any reason to call it a "pirated" version instead of a demo. Super quick non-academic look up of the definition of pirating:
One who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization.

Doesnt apply here. People downloaded it with the INTENTION of pirating, but that doesnt make it pirating if its actually legal.

Top Bottom