• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ditch your PS3, Get $100 store credit towards Xbox One

Jburton

Banned
Holy crap.

I've never seen fans peddle for a company like Sony fans do. Its like they're getting some sort of monetary compensation for it. Or just pathetic.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it really is pathetic:

"You can save this much money by going PS Plus. BUY PS PLUS."

"This is why All-Stars is not a Smash rip off, BUY ALL STARS"

"BUY PS4!!!!!!!!!!"

Christ.

Seems playtime on GAF is a bit too rough for you bud.

Dry your eyes mate, it's ok ....... I will call your parents to take you home.

Holy crap.

I've never seen fans peddle for a company like Sony fans do. Its like they're getting some sort of monetary compensation for it. Or just pathetic.

"BUY PS4!!!!!!!!!!"

Christ.
Holy crap.

I've never seen a ban go down so fast like your ban did. Its like you're getting some sort of monetary compensation for it. Or just pathetic.

"You can save this much salt by getting banned now. GET BANNED NOW."

"This is why salt is not a sugar rip off, BUY MY SALT"

"BUY MY SALT!!!!!!!!!!"

Truespeed

Holy crap.

"BUY PS4!!!!!!!!!!"

Christ.

Conversely, one simply has to cycle through your post history to see your Xbox peddling. I know it sucks when a Microsoft advertising campaign implodes upon itself, but it's a regular occurrence. Besides, the offer was ridiculous.

-MB-

In 2006 MS would have been lauded for this, but they're not the industry darling anymore so they don't anymore.

Duxxy3

With the amount that I use my PS3, and not my next gen system, you will have to pry my PS3 out of my cold dead hands. I use my PS4 so rarely that I unplugged the thing to save on power cost.

Duxxy3

In 2006 MS would have been lauded for this, but they're not the industry darling anymore so they don't anymore.

Things were different in 2006. Sony was launching a $600 console and telling people to get a second job. Microsoft had a well priced console and was supporting it with first party games. They were also under completely different leadership. Leadership that actually had vision.

SPDIF

Things were different in 2006. Sony was launching a $600 console and telling people to get a second job. Microsoft had a well priced console and was supporting it with first party games. They were also under completely different leadership. Leadership that actually had vision.

I always wonder what people mean when they say this. What sort of amazing vision do you think they had back then that they don't have now? If you think it's anything other than trying to get their box under people's TVs to dominate the living room, then you're very likely mistaken. They may have gone about it in a different (you might even say deceptive) way, but that doesn't mean that their ultimate goal was any different.

Holy crap.

I've never seen a ban go down so fast like your ban did. Its like you're getting some sort of monetary compensation for it. Or just pathetic.

"You can save this much salt by getting banned now. GET BANNED NOW."

"This is why salt is not a sugar rip off, BUY MY SALT"

"BUY MY SALT!!!!!!!!!!"

haaaha!

Couleurs

Holy crap.

Sorry, but giving fans monetary compensation for saying something good/neutral about them is more Microsoft's thing

#XB1M13

I guess, I was only talking about MY PS3 80gb Phat, and then had like 3 people tell me about how I'm wrong and also talking about another model... makes no sense.

I think there were two 80GB consoles, the EU launch ones had partial BC and those released around MGS4 release had no BC (except the MGS4 special edition itself).

BigDug13

I always wonder what people mean when they say this. What sort of amazing vision do you think they had back then that they don't have now? If you think it's anything other than trying to get their box under people's TVs to dominate the living room, then you're very likely mistaken. They may have gone about it in a different (you might even say deceptive) way, but that doesn't mean that their ultimate goal was any different.

They built the 360 from the ground up to be the most powerful gaming console, just like the OG Xbox. This time they came out from the start to tell us that they didn't target high end graphics on their game machine and gimped the memory architecture to ensure 8GB was available for non-game related things. Then bundled in the Kinect with barely any actual gaming usage and charged $500 for it.

If you don't see that as a change in leadership vision for their console device, I don't know what to tell you.

Derrick01

Banned
Don't know why I would ditch a system that has all the games for a system that has almost none right now and with MS' shaky history of supporting their consoles long term, may end up with not very many. As it stands right now my PS4 has been in the closet for 2 months because I have too many games to play on PS3, with a few more coming this year (not counting future PS+ games).

SPDIF

They built the 360 from the ground up to be the most powerful gaming console, just like the OG Xbox. This time they came out from the start to tell us that they didn't target high end graphics on their game machine and gimped the memory architecture to ensure 8GB was available for non-game related things. Then bundled in the Kinect with barely any actual gaming usage and charged $500 for it.

If you don't see that as a change in leadership vision for their console device, I don't know what to tell you.

Well I won't expect a reply then :)

Their actual goal (their vision) hasn't changed. They want to sell you a box to stick under you TV and help them to dominate the living room. Like I said, they were more deceptive about it in the past (they had to be), but this time round they're more upfront about it (because they felt they were in a position where they could be). It seems that many gamers feel betrayed about the way they're going about things now, they might see it as a change in leadership, a different vision, but as far as I'm concerned MS are just trying to fulfil their original goal that they started back in the late 90s:

Step 1 - Get their foot in the door (lose billions in the process)
Step 2 - Build a strong user base (lose billions in the process)
Step 3 - Try to dominate (make billions in the process)

Unfortunately for MS, step 3 likely won't work out quite as planned.

I genuinely believe that even if Allard was there, the XB1 wouldn't be radically different. It would still be a rather modest console built to provide profits, not cutting-edge graphics.

rvy

Banned
Ditch all of the free games I get with Plus for a piddly $100 off your underpowered system with ANOTHER online fee? No thanks.

BUT THOSE ARE RENTALS! I'd much rather have what Microsoft is offering with Gold, at least I get to keep muh games.

And the game are a bonus, you shouldn't even complain about them.

/angryfanboycue

Holy crap.

"BUY PS4!!!!!!!!!!"

Christ.

mmmm perfect for my soft pretzel! THANKS!

oti

Banned
It's just marketing. Marketing is supposed to be aggressive. MS did the same with iPads and Surfaces, I don't get what the big deal about this is. Of course it would be a dumb thing to do. Ditching a PS3 with PS+ for either Xbox One or PS4 (or Wii U for that matter) doesn't make any sense if you haven't played EVERY PS3 game available already and aren't interested in games like Dark Souls 2 and Persona 5.

It's a dumb idea but it's marketing. Marketing is supposed to make dumb decisions appear like smart decisions.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have a question. At what point do you get the coupon for $100 off? After they receive and verify that your trade in is working? Or when you sign up initially to send it back? I want to take advantage of the $399 Unity Xbox One with free game deal today.

Cleve

You just necro'ed a 10 month old thread to ask a question that would best be answered by just calling a Microsoft store? This deal likely isn't active anymore.

B-Ri

I was going to jump on this, except that they want a 360 S or E.

I have an original that was replaced 3 times because of RROD, and they wont take it.

Top Bottom