• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ditch your PS3, Get $100 store credit towards Xbox One

I think this is where's GAF hardcore mentality is missing the point.

Most people sell their games and consoles. Collectors are a rare breed, but common here.

Not that many gamers are interested in Persona 5. It's still a niche franchise in the west. It sells well to its fans of course, but Joe Gamer isn't holding out for Persona 5.

MS is going for a specific user, who the PS3 has no value to them as much and possibly is interested in the XB1--it's demand is still high even after all the mishaps with their DRM.

This is a reasonable deal. Not everyone is a super hardcore Sony fan.

If the ps3 has no value to a certain person, don't you think they would have sold it or traded it in by now? And if they haven't you can get more for a Ps3 selling it yourself. If they do this what happens to their game? Sell them? Then why not sell the system with the games to get more? Right now the PS3 is the best system to get because of PS+. You can buy a great bundle for under $300 and buy plus and literally do not need to buy a game. You can keep your PS3 and buy the PS4 for $400 (the same exact price you pay in this deal and you are not out one console forever. Not to mention the Ps4 is the more capable hardware and everyone knows Sony will bring the games, just like they have with all their consoles, and are still doing with the Ps3. It has way more than Persona 5 coming this year.

MS didn't think this one through. Desperate times calls for desperate measures, and desperate people do desperate things without thinking them through. That is the problem with MS at the moment, ever since the reveal of the ONE. They think they are smarter than everyone else. Maybe the fact that they went toe to toe with Sony last gen got to their head, similar to what happened to Sony during the Ps3 beginnings. Whatever it is they need to change their attitudes and stop thinking people are dumb.

If you think this is a reasonable deal then people like you are the precise target for this promotion. No offense but people who do this are idiots.

Fnord

I got $250 for my super slim with a few games.

Pretty sure you can get $100+ just for the system on craigslist.

Same here. Sold my one of my Slims for about $250 through Craig's List. Threw in a few games (old stuff that, while it was technically in my backlog, I knew I would never get around to). This was about a month before the PS4 launched.

genbatzu

Sonys answer just came in:

genbatzuuuuuuu8xu8y.jpg

nah...jk, just my crappy mspaint skills
I want you promoted to Member for this.

haha, thx gaf, never thought it would get this much coverage xD

btw, does member status works like this? ^^

The fact that the S in PlayStation isn't capitalised is really annoying me.

I'm really sorry q_q

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A 500GB super slim trades in to GS for $130 right now (well, $100 base with a 30% bonus towards certain preorders, but you can always cancel those); there haven't been quotes on other PS3 models in ages, though, and I suspect that those would probably be in the $60-70 range before the 30% for slims/250GB super slims.

If you were already going to buy an XB1, then it's an ok way to dump your PS3, but if you weren't, it's not good enough that you should buy one just to take advantage.
Interesting. I guess it's still advantageous for most of the models though, and likely not new adopters or pick ups.

There has to be some kind of psycho-therapy type of mental description/condition for those people who desperately cling to an idea or image of themselves and just completely can't connect to any social cues around them... and i think MS is letting this crazy dribble out slowly now..

Strike the last year of blunders and nobody would really give a shite about a deal like this "Trade in a console and get money" ... well no shit. But to put out stuff like this makes them look like they have no self awareness. At all...

Microsoft is pretty well-known for a complete lack of self-awareness. It's why they always keep re-branding things with "Windows" without realizing that doing so will not sell more things, because people don't use Windows because they love Windows. They use it because they pretty much have to in order to run the vast majority of software for PCs.

Microsoft as a company pretty much has the problem that Square-Enix had with Lightning. They love Lightning and they keep telling us how much we're supposed to love Lightning, but we don't. But they're going to keep pushing Lightning on us anyways because they love it and they conflate themselves with their customers. This is exactly the problem MS has, and it's why nobody wants Windows Phone and Surface even though MS seems to believe they are the greatest thing ever in the history of greatest things.

So this brings us to the Xbone. MS believes it is the greatest thing ever. It's an all-in-one entertainment device which realizes a vision Bill Gates had all the way back in the 1990's of a single device made by MS which could dominate the living room. It plays games, it watches TV, it connects to the Internet. They believe that it is so amazing that people will rush to drop competitors' products to buy it. So they offer a trade-in program which lets you trade in your old console, including the competitor's product, so you can rush out and buy it right away. They believe this so strongly that they were willing to add always-online DRM to it, because they had convinced themselves everyone would want one regardless of what shitty policies they forced on it. And now here we are, I hope everyone is ready to ditch their PS3's for the Xbox One, the All-in-One Entertainment System!

overcast

Naw. Don't need an XB1, and I'll stick with my current gen consoles until summer/fall of this year, before investing in a new box.

Will continue to keep them around of course.

Deraj

As a PC gamer, I just bought a PS3 on ebay bcos Persona 5*. I was happy to pay $250 as it comes with The Last Of Us and GTA V. My last console was a PS2 so I'll be LTTP when it arrives. :)

*Also bought it bcos JRPG's and 1st Party.

the hell are you talking about?

I'm saying, people that say this act like the game libraries are identical and no one could possibly prefer to have an X1 over a PS4. What if you really like Halo? What if you really like Killer Instinct? What if you're really interested in Quantum Break? What if you actually like the Kinect? What if you really not that interested in any of the PS4's exclusives this year? Why would you buy a PS4 over an X1 at that point? Doesn't matter if it's $100 cheaper if the games you really want to play are on the other system.

zzz79

Banned
I'm saying, people that say this act like the game libraries are identical and no one could possibly prefer to have an X1 over a PS4. What if you really like Halo? What if you really like Killer Instinct? What if you're really interested in Quantum Break? What if you actually like the Kinect? What if you really not that interested in any of the PS4's exclusives this year? Why would you buy a PS4 over an X1 at that point? Doesn't matter if it's $100 cheaper if the games you really want to play are on the other system.

Agree 100% on this :)

But I think this MS campaign is addressed to people who are not sure which console they should buy, so here the PS4 seems to be the better product.
For all those who really know what they want and if they like all the games on the MS console, Kinect and the System itself, those will buy it anyway, also for 500$/€.

Agree 100% on this :)

But I think this MS campaign is addressed to people who are not sure which console they should buy, so here the PS4 seems to be the better product.
For all those who really know what they want and if they like all the games on the MS console, Kinect and the System itself, those will buy it anyway, also for 500$/€.
I can agree with that too for sure.

The weirdest thing is...what are they going to do with the PS3's?

They just destroy them? Donate them?

They sell them to a company that refurbishes electronics for resale.

Anyway, there's nothing really immoral about a deal like this, but it just comes across as a bit uncouth or tacky given the relative positions in the market right now. It was also foolish to craft a deal that just highlights what a poor value the Xbox One is compared to a PS4.

No one tell him where this is from.

serversurfer: it's not "You survive."

Guess again. I want to see what other word(s) you can come up with. This is neat.
Hahahahaha!! You suck! :p

Hmm. I thought I did pretty good with, "You survive."

Lose the fight?
Use the five?

None of that makes sense though. Can I get a hint? How many words/syllables? lol

Thanks for the PMs, but I'm not ready to give up just yet. ;)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
$100 toward an X1, which doesn't have PS+... yeah that'll be a tough sell in my home.

Transitioning from PS3 to PS4 is the right and natural progression, because of said PS+. MS has no answer.

Haha, nice

OP: If you want $100 for your ps3, just go sell it. That's not very much.

This. You could craigslist a PS3 for $150 rather easily I would imagine. $125 at the absolute lowest.

It's really odd that they're targeting PS3 with this add instead of trying to get their own users to trade in 360s. Granted they can, but the ad itself specifically references PS3. That's just weird.

Edit: After reading the above post, I just wanna say that I think the truest test is seeing how long you can maintain 'member' status here without ANY tag. And of course not get banned...

ITT: people high fiving each other for replying to a corny pro-MS ad with even cornier Pro-Sony "custom" ads.

Slow down guys, a man can only cringe so much.

Da warz...

ITT: people high fiving each other for replying to a corny pro-MS ad with even cornier Pro-Sony "custom" ads.

Slow down guys, a man can only cringe so much.

Da warz...

You become immune to it after awhile, you develop thick scar tissue. Before long you can't sleep without the sound of the screaming from the console wars in your head

Picked up Last of Us PS3 Bundle w/ a year of PS+ two months ago for $230.

Since that time I've added these games to my PS+ list for free: Bioshock Infinite, Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Brothers a Tale of Two Sons, Borderlands 2, Binary Domain, DmC, Uncharted 3, Dyad and Grid 2...with Metro Last Night, Remember Me and PayDay 2 on the way.

PS+ works great so far...their digitial sales are screaming...and I'm adding a ton of free PS4 and Vita games to my list to boot (effectively making those two Sony products attractive pick ups some day.)

What value proposition does Microsoft have to compete with this? I'm not seeing it. It's like MS is speaking a totally different language.

JayDub

Holy crap.

I've never seen fans peddle for a company like Sony fans do. Its like they're getting some sort of monetary compensation for it. Or just pathetic.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it really is pathetic:

"You can save this much money by going PS Plus. BUY PS PLUS."

"This is why All-Stars is not a Smash rip off, BUY ALL STARS"

"BUY PS4!!!!!!!!!!"

Christ.

beast786

Holy crap.

I've never seen fans peddle for a company like Sony fans do. Its like they're getting some sort of monetary compensation for it. Or just pathetic.

"BUY PS4!!!!!!!!!!"

Christ.

You are so amazing , a true prophet to get us all back in righteous path.

How are you so perfect?

Holy crap.

"BUY PS4!!!!!!!!!!"

Christ.

This may end badly for you.

PS3 is a much better value proposition than X1 or PS4 at this point.

This is trash marketing. Unless someone owns no games for their PS3 or is devoid of at least 3 ounces of critical thinking ability, than this "deal" is garbage.

Top Bottom