• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'How Did This Get Made?' podcast appreciation thread

big ander

whoa people hate doug benson that much? goddamn can't see how. I mean, you have to realize that the people he's being "passive agressive" to are his friends...they're not taking it personally like you seem to be. though I really only hear him on doug loves movies and comedy bang bang. maybe he's bad on deathsquad, which I don't haven't even heard of. edit: oh that redban guy? remember being really bored by that dude on esther's podcast when I listened a couple times.

strobogo

Banned
There was a Ice House Chronicles episode where Doug was such an outright dick head to 3 of the other guys (2 of whom he is not friends with and barely even knew), that I had to stop listening. He was being such an asshole and everyone knew it, and it got really awkward. He was full on attacking them the entire show, talking about how stupid their acts are and how no one even knows who they are. The next podcast had Redban basically apologizing and making excuses for how much of a dick Doug was on it. I sent Doug a message on Twitter asking why he was always so grumpy on those shows and he sent me one back saying "Why are you an idiot? Maybe you should stop listening." and blocked me. What I sent him wasn't confrontational or rude. I just said that it seems like he's in a bad mood on there at lot and it is kind of a bummer.

The only time he isn't an snide asshole to everyone is when Rogan is in the room. It's gross. I completely skip over shows he's on, even if there are other people I want to hear. Every five minutes, he'll chime in with a "oh, you're so fucking stupid, I'm so much smarter than all of you, you people are beneath me" kind of comments. But as soon as Rogan leaves the room, he's back to being a fuck head for the next 25 minutes.

big ander

weird, I believe that that could happen but it seems completely at odds with everything I've heard him do. I actually don't listen to dlm fully regularly, but when I do he always seems cordial not combative. and I heard him on comedy bang bang today actually, he was never mean or even really snarky.

I have seen him be really harsh on twitter though, but it is often to people who deserve it. naturally sometimes people who are just trying to talk get blocked too, which is lame on his part.

strobogo

Banned
He's the worst kind of one upper, too. Not only does he have to make a similar joke right after someone gets a reaction, but he goes out of his way to say whatever the other person said is stupid and doesn't make sense. It's really unbearable. He kills the flow of all the shows he's on, at least on Deathsquad stuff.

The pasta robot discussion on the Judge Dredd episode had me rolling. June Diane Raphael has some crazy theories. "He was hacking the robot with strands of spaghetti!"

BearChair

The pasta robot discussion on the Judge Dredd episode had me rolling. June Diane Raphael has some crazy theories. "He was hacking the robot with strands of spaghetti!"

Yeah, since this thread went up I have been listening to old episodes. I couldn't stop laughing at that. I also loved their discussion of what "recycled food" meant.

Personally, I like the Doug Benson episodes. Maybe I just don't expose myself to him much, and it makes it okay. I stopped listening to Doug Loves Movies regularly a few years ago because I just like hearing the Leonard Maltin Game, not all the talking beforehand. I used to listen to Carolla, but I heard the exact same rant one too many times and gave up on it.

My dream episode would have Dana Gould as a guest. His podcast is far and away my favorite comedy podcast, and he is great at talking about movies.

As an aside, I wish Gould could have gone on Retronauts and talk about making Gex, even if it would have been a mini-episode.

Speaking of June, has anyone else been watching Burning Love? It's actually pretty great.

Negative, what channel is it on? Maybe I'll take a look. Since discovering the brilliance of this show I've been wanting to check out NTSF:SD:SUV ... something I previously ignored because it seemed like yet another dumb Adult Swim show with a dumb name. Saw some clips on youtube and it seems pretty good.

SmithnCo

Negative, what channel is it on? Maybe I'll take a look. Since discovering the brilliance of this show I've been wanting to check out NTSF:SD:SUV ... something I previously ignored because it seemed like yet another dumb Adult Swim show with a dumb name. Saw some clips on youtube and it seems pretty good.

NTSF is pretty fun, yeah.

Burning Love is an online series on Yahoo I believe, maybe I should check it out.

Loxley

Thank you for introducing me to this show, I love it. I just got done listening to the Wild Wild West episode with Kevin Smith, his story about John Peters and Superman will never get old.

strobogo

Banned
Predators is SO much better than Predator 2, AvP, and AvP2, though. There are 3 movies they need to watch before they get to Predators.

ToxicAdam

There was a Ice House Chronicles episode where Doug was such an outright dick head to 3 of the other guys (2 of whom he is not friends with and barely even knew), that I had to stop listening. He was being such an asshole and everyone knew it, and it got really awkward..

I haven't listened to that podcast, but that's a pretty common thing when comedians get together. They bust balls and disrespect the younger guys. Maybe that kind of thing is falling to the wayside with the new wave of comics where everyone slurps each others asses, but you listen to the stories from the older guys and its always about how brutal they are with each other off-hours.

Doug Benson can be slightly prickly at times, but he can get away with it because for my money he's one of the most off-the-cuff funny people in podcasting. Doug Loves Movies is the most consistently hilarious podcast I know.

strobogo

Banned
I haven't listened to that podcast, but that's a pretty common thing when comedians get together. They bust balls and disrespect the younger guys. Maybe that kind of thing is falling to the wayside with the new wave of comics where everyone slurps each others asses, but you listen to the stories from the older guys and its always about how brutal they are with each other off-hours.

While yes, that happens a lot on IHC, this was so extreme that it made everyone really uncomfortable and apologizes were made for the next show. It wasn't just fucking with friends, it was attacking two guys he didn't even know for 2 1/2 hours because he had a layover or something. It was aggressive "fuck you, you aren't funny, you shouldn't even be in the same room with me, your act is hackey and that's why no one knows who you are" kind of stuff.

Blastoise

Banned
I listened to the Smurfs episode, but the audio quality was pretty bad (June and Jason were on Skype). Are there anymore HDTGM featuring Paul F. Tompkins?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I listened to the Smurfs episode, but the audio quality was pretty bad (June and Jason were on Skype). Are there anymore HDTGM featuring Paul F. Tompkins?

I would have to check later, but I doubt it. There have been very few repeating guests.

Added Godzilla and Bad Ass to my queue to prepare for those particular episodes. Added Birdemic, Trespass, Gigli, and Season of the Witch as well. Not sure which one I want to do first.

I kinda wish Pluto Nash was available somewhere. The reference it a lot on subsequent episodes. Apparently its very influential on a lot of bad movies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added Godzilla and Bad Ass to my queue to prepare for those particular episodes. Added Birdemic, Trespass, Gigli, and Season of the Witch as well. Not sure which one I want to do first.

I kinda wish Pluto Nash was available somewhere. The reference it a lot on subsequent episodes. Apparently its very influential on a lot of bad movies.

Out of those, I have heard Godzilla, birdemic, and gigli. Birdemic by a long shot.

Edit- The movie is all types of bad. But one of the best, so bad its good, films ever.

Some of these Amazon reviews are amazing "This is a clean movie. Of course there might be some language but it was totally void of any long petting scenes. Five stars."

Some of these Amazon reviews are amazing "This is a clean movie. Of course there might be some language but it was totally void of any long petting scenes. Five stars."

The positive reviews for From Justin to Kelly had me in tears.

I know on a videogame forum wanting them to do more game adaptations seems too easy, but I'm dying for them to do Street Fighter -- just trying to anticipate Jason's reactions to Blanka. The '07 Hitman movie, too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What the fuck did I just watch? Why were there ninjas? And what were those women doing in the trees? What the heck happened to the nephew? Why transfer the power if she wasnt going to use it? How the hell does he know karate? Why did I just watch this? Why do people keep giving Use boll money?

totowhoa

Banned
Well I started listening to this at work today. Absolutely loved it. I listened to the Devil's Advocate and From Justin to Kelly at first (both were amaaazingly funny). Followed it up with The Last Airbender and Super Mario Bros., which weren't too bad. Definitely going to keep up with this show... all three personalities are great.

Made a full list of movies and their streaming availability. I didn't do youtube though so if someone wanted to take up that torch it'd be greatly appreciated.

59. Spice World
58. In the Name of the King - Netflix
57. From Justin to Kelly
56. Nothing But Trouble
55. The Devil’s Advocate
54. The Odd Life of Timothy Green
53. Anaconda - Netflix; Xfinity Streampix/OnDemand
52. Reindeer Games
51. Liz and Dick
50. Twilight Breaking Dawn pt 2
49. Cobra - Xfinity Streampix/OnDemand
48. Sleepaway Camp
47. Super Mario Bros.
46. Barb Wire - Netflix; Xfinity Streampix/OnDemand
45. Road House
44. Jaws 4
43. Wild Wild West - Xfinity Streampix/OnDemand
42. Batman & Robin
41. Spiderman 3
40. Judge Dredd
39. Godzilla - Netflix; Crackle; Xfinity Streampix/OnDemand
38. Bad Ass - Netflix
37. Speed 2
36. On the Line
35. Tiptoes
34. The Adventures of Pluto Nash
33. Abduction - Netflix; Amazon
32. 88 Minutes
31. Birdemic - Netflix
30. Cool As Ice
29. Trespass - Netflix
28. Crank
27. Twilight Breaking Dawn pt 1
26. Jingle All the Way - Netflix; Amazon
25. Catwoman - Xfinity Streampix/OnDemand
24. Superman 3
23. The Room
22. Leprechaun in the Hood
21. I Know Who Killed Me - Crackle
20. Punisher: Warzone
19. The Wicker Man
18. Gigli - Netflix
17. Skyline
16. Smurfs
15. The Back Up Plan
14. Green Lantern
13. Crank 2
12. The Love Guru
11. The Tourist
10. Mac and Me - Amazon
9. Fast Five
8. Sucker Punch
7. All About Steve
6. Battlefield Earth
5. Drive Angry
4. The Last Airbender
3. Old Dogs
2. Season of the Witch - Netflix
1. Burlesque

I've just gotten into this podcast from an elseforum recommendation. It's quite funny. That theme song sucks, though. Also, Jason has an amazing potty mouth, which is a shock if you're not expecting it, and then it gets hilarious.

The only downsides to the podcasts is when they don't seem to know much about the movie. For example, yes, Green Lantern sucked, but the podcasters not having much knowledge of Green Lantern sort of chilled the experience for me.

The only time I didn't quite agree with them was on Godzilla. Because that movie was actually farce, but no one realized it. Including the makers of the movie, I concede. :(

Watching Gigli right now. Why am I doing this. This is so bad. Watching someone act mentally handicapped is just painfully offensive.

And done .. wow that was bad. In the Name of the King was actually kinda good in comparison to Gigli.

EDIT: Just watched Season of the Witch. Not a bad movie at all in my opinion. And one of Nic Cage's better acted role. I wonder why they went with this one to mock and not Bad Lieutenant or Ghost Rider which were bad and Cage's acting was super hammy.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Watching Gigli right now. Why am I doing this. This is so bad. Watching someone act mentally handicapped is just painfully offensive.

And done .. wow that was bad. In the Name of the King was actually kinda good in comparison to Gigli.

EDIT: Just watched Season of the Witch. Not a bad movie at all in my opinion. And one of Nic Cage's better acted role. I wonder why they went with this one to mock and not Bad Lieutenant or Ghost Rider which were bad and Cage's acting was super hammy.

Gigli was cringe worthy. Gigli was far too long. I thought it was a quick 90 minutes. Nope, it is 2 plus hours of full blown horrible acting, and 20 minute monologues.

The episode was great though.

Gigli was cringe worthy. Gigli was far too long. I thought it was a quick 90 minutes. Nope, it is 2 plus hours of full blown horrible acting, and 20 minute monologues.

The episode was great though.

What made the movie longer than it needed to be was Jennifer/Ben would awkwardly stay silent for a few seconds before speaking.

Ben: What's your favorite color?

Jennifer: *looks down at her feet* .... *looks at Ben* ... *giggles* ... *looks away* ... *looks down at her feet* ... *looks at Ben* .. *giggles* ... blue.

Plus some scenes are just incredible overkill. Like when Ben is psyching himself up to get into bed with Jennifer. He talks to himself in the bathroom mirror for about three minutes. And later Jennifer and Ben debate lesbianism, hetero sex, and penises for what feels like 10 minutes .. and it adds absolutely ZERO to the movie.

Also, this movie is incredibly schizophrenic. Its mostly a light hearted romantic comedy (or attempts to be) but then out of the blue Jennifer's girlfriend slits her wrists, Ben cuts off a thumb with a plastic knife, and Al Pacino shoots a guy in the head and then delivers a monologue in front of his bloody corpse.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What made the movie longer than it needed to be was Jennifer/Ben would awkwardly stay silent for a few seconds before speaking.

Ben: What's your favorite color?

Jennifer: *looks down at her feet* .... *looks at Ben* ... *giggles* ... *looks away* ... *looks down at her feet* ... *looks at Ben* .. *giggles* ... blue.

Yeah what does this movie think it is? Drive?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I watched it last night, and I would have to agree. I thought it was pretty decent. Not as bad as I imagined it would be. The CGI was probably the low point of the film, but I'm assuming the budget was low. The action was much better than 'In the Name of the King.'

Usually when they pick movies, it is based on what fans have voted/ask for.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Season of the witch episode wasn't too funny. But I'm glad they got rid of the 'wtf moments', and 'June's life lessons', segments.

Top Bottom