• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'How Did This Get Made?' podcast appreciation thread

Tom_Cody

I overall enjoy this podcast but it's really hit or miss. It lacks structure, they jump back and forth all over the plot of the movie they are describing, it's funny to them but not the listener when they start laughing before telling the joke. On recent episodes, guests barely get to speak. Paul Sheer needs to do a better job at hosting.

Also, describing every scene or entire movie as insane is not funny, helpful or anything. It's like listening to a 13 year old describe something.

"Oh my G0D, it's was INSANE!"

I think their enthusiasm for describing a particular bit of the movie they noticed is what makes it work.
I agree with poppabk, that flow is why I like the podcast so much. They all come in with notes on the movie and then just let the funny stream out. Their adjectives can become repetitive (which they call themselves out on) but that is only because their reactions are genuine. They generally try to keep their comments in sequence with the plot of movie but sometimes that is impossible.

big ander

I agree with poppabk, that flow is why I like the podcast so much. They all come in with notes on the movie and then just let the funny stream out. Their adjectives can become repetitive (which they call themselves out on) but that is only because their reactions are genuine. They generally try to keep their comments in sequence with the plot of movie but sometimes that is impossible.

And I think this is what makes the good episodes work, but during some episodes I definitely had a feeling that the moment/plot point they were calling out was a huuuuuge stretch. and yet they would still use the same adjectives, insane! etc.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm watching Birdemic on Netflix...I can not wait to listen to the episode on this movie.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I am addicted to this podcast. It's hard to watch some of the movies they talk about without actively paying to rent them, but it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the show.

The Birdemic and The Room episodes... oh man. :lol

Birdemic episode was hilarious. I was crying at one point. I want to listen to the room, but I want to watch the movie first.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Man, fucking Road House, Liz and Dick, and Season of the Witch were on the docket for last night and they were all gold. I downloaded like every episode.

This is great shit.

Listened to From Justin to Kelly and Anaconda today. Good stuff. And I noticed the one guy (Jason I believe) must be a Howard Stern fan because he dropped a "whoa whoa whoa stop the clock" and "get the poison out" reference.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm listening to the Devil's Advocate episode right now. Never heard of these guys before, but they're hilarious. And I say that as someone that loves The Devil's Advocate.

Currently dling all episodes. Is episode 16 missing from the feed for anyone else?

EDIT: Sweet - I see some special guest episodes w/ Doug Benson.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm listening to the Devil's Advocate episode right now. Never heard of these guys before, but they're hilarious. And I say that as someone that loves The Devil's Advocate.

I'm a fan of Paul, and a huge fan of Jason. Both from viewing The League. Great show, and they are just as funny in it.

Is episode 16 missing from the feed for anyone else?

Yeah, first thing I noticed when I was browsing through the list.

AColdDay

My favorite episodes are the ones for Judge Dredd (Hacking the pasta robot!), Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1, and Sleepaway Camp.

This is one of my all-time favorite podcasts, in the same weight-class as the Bombcast in my opinion.

Saw this on the earwolf forums ...

Forum Member: What happened to the Smurfs episode? It doesn't seem to be up anymore.

Earwolf CEO: There was a very reasonable request that we no longer make those eps available and we've accommodated that request. Sorry.

Dram

I wonder if something controversial was said in that episode or was it pressure from the movie studio?

Oh shit, someone made an appreciate thread about one of my favorite Podcasts

Listened to almost every episode. Shit is amazing

Favorites probably being:

Sleep Away Camp
Punisher War Zone
Cobra
Wicker Man

They're all gold, but any episode with Pacino impressions is like triple distilled gold concentrate. And the Birdemic one is even better.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
On their FB page, they have 'HDTGM?' FB cover fan art:

3rDOSOJ.jpg

nEqpHIC.jpg

FIP8p5M.jpg

5R7sTfF.jpg

PBalfredo

So I see this topic and decide to give them a try. Clicked on The Last Airbender podcast, because if any movie deserves to be mocked, it's that one.

Less than five minutes in, one guy says he hasn't seen the animated show because he never watches animation.

The other guy asks, "You don't watch any animation? Never?"

"No. Because I only like to support real people doing real work"

rmdSx.gif

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So I see this topic and decide to give them a try. Clicked on The Last Airbender podcast, because if any movie deserves to be mocked, it's that one.

Less than five minutes in, one guy says he hasn't seen the animated show because he never watches animation.

rmdSx.gif

The guy was so very obviously joking. How the hell could you not tell?

Truant

rmdSx.gif

rmdSx.gif

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Next movie is, 'In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale'. The movie is available on Netflix, and YouTube.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Next movie is, 'In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale'. The movie is available on Netflix, and YouTube.

I watched the second one with Dolph Lundgren and it was horrible. I bet the first is worse. Will watch tonight before I listen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I watched the second one with Dolph Lundgren and it was horrible. I bet the first is worse. Will watch tonight before I listen.

I have had it in my q for awhile I think. Never got around to watching it. The episode isn't up yet, just the Prequel episode that they do.

This past weekend while disassembling and cleaning a bunch of old NES carts I turned the TV on to AMC because more often than not they're playing some shit film. Sure enough Catwoman starring Halle Berry was on, and I treated myself to the accompanying HDTGM episode afterward.

Saw this on the earwolf forums ...

Forum Member: What happened to the Smurfs episode? It doesn't seem to be up anymore.

Earwolf CEO: There was a very reasonable request that we no longer make those eps available and we've accommodated that request. Sorry.

hmmm another reason to dislike Earwolf besides the super obnoxious outro to every episode.

I listened to a couple of episodes last week after reading this thread. I think it's a hit and miss podcast as well but it definitely was better listening to one about a film that I'd actually seen. The show could do with a more structured pace at times, as they jump all over the place. Sometimes they'll go down one path, never to a conclusion then jump over to a different topic altogether. As someone said, it's a lot like friends discussing shitty movies, which is good but it sometimes comes across as if they forget others are listening.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I listened to a couple of episodes last week after reading this thread. I think it's a hit and miss podcast as well but it definitely was better listening to one about a film that I'd actually seen. The show could do with a more structured pace at times, as they jump all over the place. Sometimes they'll go down one path, never to a conclusion then jump over to a different topic altogether. As someone said, it's a lot like friends discussing shitty movies, which is good but it sometimes comes across as if they forget others are listening.

I agree, it is more enjoyable when you have watch the movie. Or have a sense of what the film is about.

For me, the jumping around doesn't affect the overall experience all that much. Most of the movies they talk about, have plots that make little to no sense anyway. You aren't listening to them to get a detail discussion on plot/characters, you are listening to hear them crack jokes, and talk about how ridiculous some of the scenes are.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I almost forgot about this. I listened way back when they started but now they have so much to catch up on. I'm checking out the Super Mario Bros. episode right now but I know what I'm going to be doing for the rest of the night. This stuff is entertaining.

I love this movie for how stupid it all is.

This Sleepaway Camp movie sounds insane and confusing. Also, thanks to my simple mindedness I laugh every time they casually throw out "bone zone".

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This Sleepaway Camp movie sounds insane and confusing. Also, thanks to my simple mindedness I laugh every time they casually throw out "bone zone".

The second one is awesome. I pretty much had a non-stop giggle fit from beginning to end.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I almost forgot about this. I listened way back when they started but now they have so much to catch up on. I'm checking out the Super Mario Bros. episode right now but I know what I'm going to be doing for the rest of the night. This stuff is entertaining.

I love this movie for how stupid it all is.

Before the episode, I think it was 10 years since I last saw it. So I thought it was good. But man, that movie is in 'so bad, its good' camp.

Dude, stop what you are doing, and watch that film. It was freaking insane.

Close to an hour in. This is painful. Matthew Lillard's 'acting' is attrocious and Burt Reynolds appearance is absolutely disturbing. He looks like an ill formed wax figure of himself. I'm not sure if I can make it the whole way through this. Need to get my whisky on.

EDIT: I wonder how they got so many well respected actors in this movie? Uwe Boll must've had incriminating information on all these people.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Spent all last night listening to these guys. Ended with the Birdemic episode. Holy shit was that good. Also the Twilight: Breaking Dawn episodes kind of made me want to watch all the movies just to see how bad they are.

Tonight I have Superman III, Pluto Nash and Cool as Ice with Vanilla Ice. Cannot wait. Especially after the Nostalgia Critics review.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Close to an hour in. This is painful. Matthew Lillard's 'acting' is attrocious and Burt Reynolds appearance is absolutely disturbing. He looks like an ill formed wax figure of himself. I'm not sure if I can make it the whole way through this. Need to get my whisky on.

EDIT: I wonder how they got so many well respected actors in this movie? Uwe Boll must've had incriminating information on all these people.

Actors gotta eat, yo.

Spent all last night listening to these guys. Ended with the Birdemic episode. Holy shit was that good. Also the Twilight: Breaking Dawn episodes kind of made me want to watch all the movies just to see how bad they are.

Tonight I have Superman III, Pluto Nash and Cool as Ice with Vanilla Ice. Cannot wait. Especially after the Nostalgia Critics review.

Did you watch the Birdemic movie? So bad, and awkward. It is on Netflix streaming if you have that. I want to see the 2nd part of T:BD since they hyped up the battle scene lol.

Top Bottom