• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves new info - 1-2 player ships shown off and vote to lock players in brig

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Video

Couple videos went up recently for Sea of Thieves. One shows stuff that they talked about at NY Comic Con (that panel video is still not up). It shows the 1-2 player ships for the first time. They have single sails, 2 cannons and looks to have some kind of lower deck, maybe just a map room and storage and they show off video of two smaller ships attacking a larger one.

qZzZixC.gif

rMkA3ju.gif

nzLU7C5.gif

They also talk about voting to lock players in the brig to use as an anti trolling system. (can also vote to release them). Players that are stuck in the brig can either quit or beg their crew mates to let them out to continue playing.

QO9s4eY.gif

ypurpQn.gif

Another recent feature shown off is non-verbal communication. Obviously you can just use a keyboard to chat like any other game, but they are adding context aware communications. Better for controller players I guess, and probably good for people speaking a different language. See more about non-voice communication here

riNTNS1.gif

Gestault

My interactions with random players in the beta left me with no desire to ever touch this again, outside of a very dedicated crew of people I know personally. I think more streamlined ships is a good start, but man, that's an uphill fight with the way the world seemed to be built to require positive social interactions. But hey, if I ever want to be forced to listen to malicous bigotry, sexism, and frankly WORSE to play a game, this'll be my go-to.

That brig feature will 1000% backfire on well-meaning players, you can quote me on that.

wwm0nkey

Really wish I could play this again or at least give my alpha access to someone who can use it, I am not in the Win10 Alpha and my XBO is MIA so I keep seeing these things I can play without actually being able to play them :(

This may be the game that gets me to get an Xbox One.

Its on PC too.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
My interactions with random players in the beta left me with no desire to ever touch this again, outside of a very dedicated crew of people I know personally. I think more streamlined ships is a good start, but man, that's an uphill fight with the way the world seemed to be built to require positive social interactions.

That brig feature will 1000% backfire on well-meaning players, you can quote me on that.
yeah I wouldn't care about this game if they didn't have an option for a smaller ship. I only have interest in playing by myself or with my brother. I don't have much interest in playing with strangers, only time I will would probably be by just using keyboard chat and not using voice.

I know Rare's mentioned that you could lone wolf the game to some degree, but they haven't been talking about it enough for me. Glad to see an update on it.

At most I think I'll be playing with one... maybe two (thanks to cross-play) other people on my friends list, and I only imagine them checking it out for a few sessions at launch if it doesn't take off.

Love the non-verbal communication stuff too if I do go on to play with randoms.

My interactions with random players in the beta left me with no desire to ever touch this again, outside of a very dedicated crew of people I know personally. I think more streamlined ships is a good start, but man, that's an uphill fight with the way the world seemed to be built to require positive social interactions. But hey, if I ever want to be forced to listen to malicous bigotry, sexism, and frankly WORSE to play a game, this'll be my go-to.

Looking for Groups eliminates all of that though. Use it, trust me! :)

And I love the idea of sending trolls down into the brig, that's awesome!

Jumeira

Banned

Id honestly love if they allowed you to make them walk the plank, even if they disconnect, we should be able pull that off then automatically send a video to them lol

I was invited to play on the 13th I cant wait to check it out!

You suck, I've been waiting forever...every time they say we've sent out another 30K invites I'm just left disappointed

LFG feature has been a god send, I use it heavily now after I started playing D2...so quick to get a party going.

Zedox

Id honestly love if they allowed you to make them walk the plank, even if they disconnect, we should be able pull that off then automatically send a video to them lol

I thought it was going to be walking the plank...I'm glad they have these options though. Seems that the game is getting more fleshed out.

The panel was posted yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYXUR7v8AsU

It showcases the content in the Inn-Side Story video and a ton more. The Q&A at the end revealed some good stuff.

I thought it was going to be walking the plank...I'm glad they have these options though. Seems that the game is getting more fleshed out.

I remember a while back Rare talking about how the plank is there for us to use. More for roleplaying I think. That is interesting though about it being used for when the player in the brig finally disconnects.

I spent some time to compare the small ship to the big ship for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GOiG26cnSU

Are people still getting into the Alpha on this? I would like to give it a shot when I get my Xbox One X.
Yeah, if you sign up to be an Insider you will be invited to the Technical Alpha at some point. Every Insider will get to play before the game is released.

RoKKeR

Small ships, sweet. Just what I was hoping for.

Haven't played the Alpha in a while, interested to see how it continues to develop.

watership

Since these threads are never active after 10 mins I always miss them. 1-2 player ships is just what I'm going to need if I can't get all my friends in a game.

1-2 player ships are cool but I'd love for them to increase the player count for the big ships. I have quite a bit of friends on Live and we'd like to play this as one big crew. Wonder if they're looking into that.

My only worry about this game is the combat. It looks really not fun especially the guns.Wish I could get my hands on it to try for myself.

Top Bottom