• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good anime based games?

butman

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans

5mfqerG.jpg

By the Director of BATEN KAITOS and the Art Director of CHRONO CROSS

This game should have covered from Dragon Ball to the Buu Saga and it would be a masterpiece.

The Gundam VS games are legitimately great arena fighters. They definitely go beyond the "good for a licensed game" label.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom is fun too.

Asura's Wrath is the best anime.

1184834_o.gif

There's also the Attack on Titan game that was pretty servicable. It must have been a real challenge to translate the acrobatics of the show to an intuitive control scheme, but they got most of the way there. IIRC there was a pretty good Bleach-based fighting game on the DS too.

EDIT: Beaten to that last one!

i regret i never rented it when it was available at my local store, too bad the game isnt on the psn

slamhk

Neo Member
It's understandable as to why, but it's a shame that DBZ: Infinite World flew under a lot of people's radars. Tightened up the fighting, streamlined the capsules, and simplified the main story mode.
And also a rare occasion wherein Yamcha became the most OP fighter thanks to his priority beating every single character's iirc.

Oh yeah, I remember Infinite world. I didn't play it due to owning DBZ budokai 3 and it came out together with Burst limit came out before it.
Buying a DBZ game, which was similar to budokai 3 seemed like a waste of money.
Tbh I still haven't even played it yet, but I'm all for playing a better budokai 3 experience :).
Thanks, would be nice for Yamcha to be as strong as he believes to be. The poor guy lol.

i regret i never rented it when it was available at my local store, too bad the game isnt on the psn

Also a real bummer is that the real ending of the game was a paid DLC. Seems like a bad afterthought to do that...

One Piece Unlimited Red
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 + Reborn
Berserk: Band of the Hawk
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (didn't play the sequels yet)

come to mind.

I feel like you've managed to list just about every "meh" anime game from the past few years without mentioning any of the good ones. Props to you if you enjoyed them I guess, but a lot of these were kind of poor (although I did like OPPW3 an DWGR).

L Thammy

I haven't played it so I can't really say one way or another, but I'm interested in the X/1999 game for the PlayStation. It apparently plays like Psychic Force. ...which I also haven't played, but looks pretty appropriate for an X/1999 game.

Voror

Never knew about this one. First exposure to any Gundam games was Battle Assault 2. Had the G Gundam cast and everything. I actually remember reading it was the first thing the dub actors had done as Domon's VA is way less hotblooded than he is in the actual show.

I'll also throw another in for Astro Boy: Omega Factor. I loved that whole system of finding other characters from the original authors various series in the game.

Paltheos

Are we talking games strictly based off anime themselves? Or are we including games rooted in an anime aesthetic that may or may not themselves feature anime.

In the case of the latter, the Lunar games come to mind, and I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned them yet! Pretty much anything by Game Arts from 20 years ago qualifies. All fantastically fun and playful.

Jigorath

Banned
Those Naruto Ninja Storm games were totally alright.

Better than the anime.

Probably better than the manga for the most part.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Holy shit those sprites are amazing

gundam battle assault's sprites were these taken to the next level. ALways loved that first game as a kid on PS1. Great times. Voice announcer was hysterical as hell.

GU-N DAM, BATTEL ASSAUELT

Those Naruto Ninja Storm games were totally alright.

Better than the anime.

Probably better than the manga for the most part.

I would say the CC2 Naruto games were definitely better than kishimoto's source material. The only fuck up was not making part 1 a proper campaign mode like 2 3 and 4.

L Thammy

Holy shit those sprites are amazing

Gameplay's pretty amazing for a SNES game too; it's probably the closest thing to a Versus game on the system.
Some great music too.

gundam battle assault's sprites were these taken to the next level. ALways loved that first game as a kid on PS1. Great times. Voice announcer was hysterical as hell.

GU-N DAM, BATTEL ASSAUELT

Battle Assault's got the sprites made out of independent parts thing though; that always irks me when I look at it.

Ravelle

The ./Hack games are pretty great, they're being trapped in an MMO RPG.

The Naruto Ninja Storm games are spectacular looking fighting which are fun with friends.

spad3

Pokemon doesn't count as the show is based off the games.

Digimon however is game off of show.

Digimon World 3 is AMAZING.

Umbooki

All the NUNS mentions are making me salty. Once you get past the pretty ougis and cutscenes, you're left with a lackluster arena fighter. To make matters worse, the soundtrack is the standard CC2 guitar instrumentals that have been in their games since the original .hack Quadrilogy.

The Xenoverse games are a dumb kind of fun. I play the series because I enjoy dressing up my goofy Saiyan lady. All the dudes in the game suffer from Toriyama's Same Face syndrome, so that ruins them for me.

The best anime games are...the Gundam Versus series. Consistently awesome with licensed soundtracks 👌🏾

And shoutouts to the SRW series.

Inuhanyou

All the NUNS mentions are making me salty. Once you get past the pretty ougis and cutscenes, you're left with a lackluster arena fighter. To make matters worse, the soundtrack is the standard CC2 guitar instrumentals that have been in their games since the original .hack Quadrilogy.

Sometimes, that's all you need to be fun and entertaining. I mean there's nothing inherently wrong with an arena fighter. Tons of people like xenoverse and that's far worse in terms of gameplay than the ultimate ninja storm games, with no production values to back it up either.

L Thammy

Pokemon doesn't count as the show is based off the games.

Digimon however is game off of show.

Digimon World 3 is AMAZING.

I don't think that's quite true. The World series came before the anime did.

Digimon World 1:January 28, 1999
Digimon Adventure: April 7, 1999

ASaiyan

Banned
If VNs that were made into anime count, this conversation is incomplete without Steins;Gate. Honestly better than the anime imo.

SteinsGate-2-790x447.jpg

The Astro Boy GBA game is also great. And I'm very excited for Yakuza of the North Star.
..despite never having actually watched that series, lol.

Pokemon Yellow? :D
You know, I think technically this does count, lol.

I enjoyed the Attack on Titan game. If you're a fan of the series you might enjoy it.

Only got about 10~ hrs out of it though so YMMV.

The Orz

I have to agree with everyone that has mentioned Ghost in the Shell (and I don't even like Ghost in the Shell). Game is more fun than it has any right to be.

A couple of my personal favorites would have to be:
pce_macross_elsf.jpg

Macross: Eternal Love Song for the PC-Engine

macrossels2.png
macrossels8.png
macrossels7.png

A fun, grid-based strategy game with great music that creates this wonderful illusion of action. I was addicted to this game in high school.

Then there's also:
258606-urusei-yatsura-dear-my-friends-sega-cd-front-cover.jpg

Urusei Yatsura: Dear My Friends for the Sega CD.

Urusei-Yatsura-My-Dear-Friends-2.gif
Urusei-Yatsura-My-Dear-Friends-4.gif
Urusei-Yatsura-My-Dear-Friends-1.gif

A point and click Urusei Yatsura adventure game by Game Arts! The animation is beautiful and the game is absolutely loaded with references from the show/comic. Admittedly it helps if you're a fan of the series (which you should be) (you really should be).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Remember back then when Naruto games weren't associated with shallow repetitiveness and pointless roster counts? I remember.

pjZ2yNh.jpg
kuOSJya.jpg

Before Ultimate Ninja Storm was Ultimate Ninja/Narutimate Hero, where it was 2D arena fighter. Characters feel more distinct and don't feel same-y with attacks, cinematic moves don't take forever, and there just is a oomph to the game.

The peak of the franchise, depending who you ask, is either Narutimate Hero 3 or Narutimate Hero Accel/Ultimate Ninja 4. Man, Bamco really screwed the pooch in order to appeal to a more casual, flashy/less substance game.

It was so good that they used to have tournaments.

Inuhanyou

ultimate moves that dont take forever, what? Ultimate ninja started the whole "ultimate moves take forever/flashy" stigma, and they got longer and longer each game. The first game to tone those down was storm 2. and they again got longer from there

And storm also has tournaments, you can make anything have tournaments, doesnt matter how in depth or not in depth the combat is

Rose colored glasses

EDarkness

So far my favorite anime game in recent years has been Fate/Extella. I picked this up on the NS and put an insane amount of hours into it. I really enjoyed it and if you like the Fate series, it's worth checking out.

Top Bottom