• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

zakujanai

Is this whole game just a space dungeon? I don't think I can do a whole game of just space dungeon. Chapter 7 in SC almost broke me and that was only a few hours of space dungeon.

Also, anybody else getting a graphical error in the menu? When I'm selecting equipment or orbment the area on the left where the characters should be is just black rectangles.

I'm getting a lot of stuttering in here, far more than I ever did in FC and SC. Looking at earlier posts in the thread, I guess 3rd doesn't play well with laptops that have both integrated graphics and a dedicated graphics card? I'll just have to try to tolerate it, I guess.

desmax

Is this whole game just a space dungeon? I don't think I can do a whole game of just space dungeon. Chapter 7 in SC almost broke me and that was only a few hours of space dungeon.

Also, anybody else getting a graphical error in the menu? When I'm selecting equipment or orbment the area on the left where the characters should be is just black rectangles.

I only got to chapter 3, but I believe it's
One space dungeon, then one of the previous locales from the previous games

Quixzlizx

It's still going to be a while before I play this, but I bought it day one to show my support for getting the Crossbell games.

Nyoro SF

I'm getting a lot of stuttering in here, far more than I ever did in FC and SC. Looking at earlier posts in the thread, I guess 3rd doesn't play well with laptops that have both integrated graphics and a dedicated graphics card? I'll just have to try to tolerate it, I guess.

Check the config as it lets you specify whichever graphics card you like to use and see if that helps.

Also check the framerate choices, cause when I set my framerate to 60fps it caused it to go to 58fps and stutter, so I set it to Automatic instead and turned on vsync and Hardware Vertex Shading. No more stuttering.

If it still stutters check back a few pages for a DX8 wrapper and see if that helps too.

Xeteh

Does the game crash upon exit for anyone else? Playing through GOG Galaxy and without fail the game stops responding when I try to quit the game. Not a big deal or anything but its weird.

Check the config as it lets you specify whichever graphics card you like to use and see if that helps.

Also check the framerate choices, cause when I set my framerate to 60fps it caused it to go to 58fps and stutter, so I set it to Automatic instead and turned on vsync and Hardware Vertex Shading. No more stuttering.

If it still stutters check back a few pages for a DX8 wrapper and see if that helps too.

Unfortunately the config only recognizes the Intel integrated graphics, not the NVIDIA GPU in my laptop. I've messed around with the other settings too. I'll see if the wrapper helps.

Aeana

It's broken up a lot by the doors and the dungeons between the spacey ones.

Ascheroth

Unfortunately the config only recognizes the Intel integrated graphics, not the NVIDIA GPU in my laptop. I've messed around with the other settings too. I'll see if the wrapper helps.
Hm, if you right click the ed6_win3.exe, do you have the option "Run with graphics processor" and can choose your NVIDIA card?
Maybe that helps.

From what I can see so far (just got to Chapter 2), Trails in the Sky the 3rd feels like Persona 3 FES's The Answer done a lot better. You have access to all of the gameplay components that involved battle in FC/SC in this game unlike The Answer which was missing Social Links and a few other things that are in the main game. And there's WAY more story dripfed to you in this game than The Answer did with it's doors. But it's ultimately a more combat and dungeon crawling oriented experience than the first two games, just as The Answer was vs. The Journey. I managed to enjoy myself with The Answer, so since it's done even better here I'm having a lot of fun.

...TBH, I'm surprised I've never heard that comparison made between the two games, but maybe its because I tried to stay away from people talking about games I hadn't played yet.

For Hard on SC and FC at least battles rarely turned into a slog- usually they were over quickly. One way or another.

Like the problem with the Prologue SC battle was his speed was just so damn high.

This is true for all of SC on Hard actually, but in the Prologue you only have Estelle Analace with really limited orbment options, so you feel it a lot more. Plus the woman who sells food ingredients gets "kidnapped" after the 1st dungeon, making you unable to prepare more of the incredibly useful Surprise Cookie attack items. After this, your equipment and orbment options begin to grow and you have more abilities on tap with more party members, so while has its moments of initially seeming overwhelming, you almost never deal with a boss nearly as insane.

As for Hard mode on The 3rd, it's much more manageable so far. Nothings given me any major problems so far, having just finished Chapter 1. I may even want to play this one again on Nightmare, which I haven't felt strong desires to do for the other two games. It's only Chapter 1 though, I still have plenty of time to come crawling back with a broken nose and black eye.

zakujanai

It's broken up a lot by the doors and the dungeons between the spacey ones.

Ok so there are other dungeons? I'm fine with the different style of this one (though I feel the NPCs are my favourite part of these games). I just couldn't face nothing but space dungeon for 60 hours, I actually like them to some extent but they get very samey very quickly.

I already like Kevin a lot more than I did in SC, seen a bit more of him as he was at the very end of SC when he used the piece of the salt pale. I want to like Erika because there are never enough strong female characters in games, but her weird nastiness towards Agate gets in the way. I'm sure I'll see more of her so hopefully there'll be more justification of why she feels that way. It was really nice to have a bit of Cid at the start. He's always very peripheral to the main events but I feel like that's what I identify with about him the most.

Marche90

It doesn't help, unfortunately. Despite selecting that, I think the game still forces itself to be run on the integrated graphics.

Here's what I did. I'm in the same boat as you so you might find this post useful. Not perfect, mind you, but at least I can play it decently now. Download the tool Eusis mentioned, extract it and put it in the Trails the 3rd folder. After that, run the config file selecting the nvidia graphics processor to run it and see if that did the trick. If you see something like "//DISPLAY" you're good to go

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
This is true for all of SC on Hard actually, but in the Prologue you only have Estelle Analace with really limited orbment options, so you feel it a lot more. Plus the woman who sells food ingredients gets "kidnapped" after the 1st dungeon, making you unable to prepare more of the incredibly useful Surprise Cookie attack items. After this, your equipment and orbment options begin to grow and you have more abilities on tap with more party members, so while has its moments of initially seeming overwhelming, you almost never deal with a boss nearly as insane.

As for Hard mode on The 3rd, it's much more manageable so far. Nothings given me any major problems so far, having just finished Chapter 1. I may even want to play this one again on Nightmare, which I haven't felt strong desires to do for the other two games. It's only Chapter 1 though, I still have plenty of time to come crawling back with a broken nose and black eye.

Yeah, but I feel like apart from that and an 'optional' fight later on Hard isn't really that difficult (again, because you're restricted to a small party).

You're right that 3rd has nothing like that though so far; there's an optional fight in a door that's tough but you get nothing for it other than satisfaction.

Knurek

Sadly 12xS isn't working for me. I have better luck forcing MSAA 4x via dgVoodoo2. Check the curves on the tables in these shots.
It is super expensive, however. I have to lock it to 60fps to avoid hitches.

I think I'm happy with how 12xS looks for me:

fM59SK1.jpg

Ideally, there'd be a temporal element, as the shimmering while moving the camera can be a tad distracting, but still images are more than okay. 125 fps with my fans staying dormant, no problems with stuttering with that FC/SC/Xanadu Next D3D8 wrapper.

Jolkien

Door requirement question (Chaoter 2):
There's a Moon door that demands the guardian of the royal family and the blade that serve the Imperial House, isn't that Mueller ? The door doesn't open, I guess I'll come back later but looking at the party member list in the in-game guide I fail to see who it could be otherwise,

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Door requirement question (Chaoter 2):
There's a Moon door that demands the guardian of the royal family and the blade that serve the Imperial House, isn't that Mueller ? The door doesn't open, I guess I'll come back later but looking at the party member list in the in-game guide I fail to see who it could be otherwise,

It's asking for two people. Answer:
Julia and Mueller.

asagami_

Banned
From what I can see so far (just got to Chapter 2), Trails in the Sky the 3rd feels like Persona 3 FES's The Answer done a lot better. You have access to all of the gameplay components that involved battle in FC/SC in this game unlike The Answer which was missing Social Links and a few other things that are in the main game. And there's WAY more story dripfed to you in this game than The Answer did with it's doors. But it's ultimately a more combat and dungeon crawling oriented experience than the first two games, just as The Answer was vs. The Journey. I managed to enjoy myself with The Answer, so since it's done even better here I'm having a lot of fun.

...TBH, I'm surprised I've never heard that comparison made between the two games, but maybe its because I tried to stay away from people talking about games I hadn't played yet.

Someone in the Kiseki OT made the reference. I didn't catch it until a few days after lol Funny because both games are from the same year.

Sara

It doesn't help, unfortunately. Despite selecting that, I think the game still forces itself to be run on the integrated graphics.

It's a driver-level issue. I can't fix it. Nvidia Optimus no longer supports DX8 or earlier games using the dedicated GPU.
The only solution at the moment is to use a DX8 to DX9 wrapper for the game, and most of those are crapshoots from what I've seen. x_x

It's a driver-level issue. I can't fix it. Nvidia Optimus no longer supports DX8 or earlier games using the dedicated GPU.
The only solution at the moment is to use a DX8 to DX9 wrapper for the game, and most of those are crapshoots from what I've seen. x_x
Unrelated, but are there other Falcom Win9x games which don't have DX9 versions? I bet anything earlier than Ys VI is likely stuck with DX8.

Ah. I guess that's what you just have to deal with when working with older PC games. Thanks for trying!

Ries is nothing like I expected her to be and I love it.
Her dialogue with
Gilbert
is brutal lol.

Got my first ever foil, bless this game.

Decided to stick with hard, let's see how it goes.

Eila

Ries is nothing like I expected her to be and I love it.
Her dialogue with
Gilbert
is brutal lol.

Got my first ever foil, bless this game.

Decided to stick with hard, let's see how it goes.

Didn't get any foils myself but the game has decent card prices. Interestingly (?) Olivier fetched the highest price.

Jolkien

Even with the minigames Falcom don't hold their punches with their soundtrack. The shooting minigame was pretty fun, but the soundtrack was incredible like usual. I needed to use the mouse instead of my controller for that one :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Question about the first star door:
Do I get anything for beating Meuller?
Because I got my ass whooped.
I was so close to beating him. He had just under 3k health left.

Even with the minigames Falcom don't hold their punches with their soundtrack. The shooting minigame was pretty fun, but the soundtrack was incredible like usual. I needed to use the mouse instead of my controller for that one :p
They did a very nice job on that Sun Door, and it's a good challenge on Normal so long as you increase the crosshair sensitivity. I stopped using the sniper view after a while since there's so much to process from afar.

Thud

They did a very nice job on that Sun Door, and it's a good challenge on Normal so long as you increase the crosshair sensitivity. I stopped using the sniper view after a while since there's so much to process from afar.

When does it even end. Might switch to easy tomorrow.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Nearing the end of chapter 2 and man, the 3rd's soundtrack blows FC's and SC's out of the water.

STAR DOOR 1 spoilers

Am i supposed to believe that
faced with a horde of rabbids fanboys & fangirls , a sister disguise was enough to fool them ?

No way

No way.

Tita mother wouldn't have made that mistake :)

Got past the brief intro segment and saved at the start if the prologue proper. My hw took a lot longer then I anticipated and finals next week so can't play much till next wednesday. Still that little taste wasn't enough I need more asap.

kswiston

It looks like 3rd is off to a stronger start sales-wise than SC on PC. I suppose that makes sense with some of the PSP audience migrating over.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like 3rd is off to a stronger start sales-wise than SC on PC. I suppose that makes sense with some of the PSP audience migrating over.

Also had a bit more of push before release. SC just kind of dropped anyone who wasn't actively following it probably didn't even realized it came out.

Kvik

Unfortunately it's now has been bumped off from top 10 best sellers. :-\ . Steamspy says 4,429 ± 3,541 owners so far. Looks like there's no negative reviews on Steam (yet).

Hopefully some more numbers will come in once the weekend starts.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately it's now has been bumped off from top 10 best sellers. :-\ . Steamspy says 4,429 ± 3,541 owners so far. Looks like there's no negative reviews on Steam (yet).

Hopefully some more numbers will come in once the weekend starts.

Steamspy's stats aren't accurate for brand new games, or games with low sales. It will probably be a while before we get an accurate picture for 3rd.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So did XSEED really put in a whole short story scattered among the various chest messages? That's impressive.

Two, even. The second is shorter though.

Imagine if they trolled everyone and intentionally left a line out. Leaving people scouring the game for chests to try and find the last line, only for everyone to eventually realize they are all missing the same line and conclude it was never there at all.

Sara

Two, even. The second is shorter though.

Imagine if they trolled everyone and intentionally left a line out. Leaving people scouring the game for chests to try and find the last line, only for everyone to eventually realize they are all missing the same line and conclude it was never there at all.

I legitimately worry about one of the lines being inaccessible. I guess time will tell.

zakujanai

That man in black at the end of the prologue has an awfully familiar cow lick, does nobody stay
dead
in Kiseki?

(I'd actually be ok with that since it's usually the best characters)

Absol

Not sure if this is just a 4K issue but on the left side of the status screen where character info should be it's black rectangle things. If I switch it down to 1080p it's perfectly fine.

Top Bottom