• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

That may not be the best way to put it. I had a house fire today, and though we originally thought it to be a very stupid accident, we learned that the family in the other half of our duplex received their eviction papers yesterday.

I'm so sorry! My prayers go out to you.

It "takes place" in another dimension, but you're going to see plenty of Liberl. I wouldn't worry about it.

It IS a departure in terms of structure from FC. But after SC, you will probably welcome it.

But... my town NPCs...

duckroll

That may not be the best way to put it. I had a house fire today, and though we originally thought it to be a very stupid accident, we learned that the family in the other half of our duplex received their eviction papers yesterday.

Yikes! Hope everything sorts itself out. That sounds iffy as hell. :(

So, who's the Valkyrie Profile fanboy at Falcom?

I mean, inbetween the Lenneth and Silmeria knockoffs in Ao and Cold Steel - And now we have Ries' first Ult which is literally Nibelung Valesti.

Or is Falcom where Tri-Ace's talent mysterious vanished off to? /Iceburn

danthefan

It "takes place" in another dimension, but you're going to see plenty of Liberl. I wouldn't worry about it.

It IS a departure in terms of structure from FC. But after SC, you will probably welcome it.

Cool thanks. Playing CS2 at the moment and will probably go into SC after that. So won't get around to this for a while in any case!

Did my part today!
AGvTOf8.png

Can't wait to jump in right after finishing SC (currently in process of doing)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Planned to only play a bit but the game is too engrossing. Hearing people say things like 3rd is basically a giant dungeon build very weird expectations that I wasn't sure about me liking that approach.

Turns out everything is just so well paced between story bits and dungeon traveling + unlocking more and more things it's a very interesting and great Trails game, exactly what I needed after the slight Zero burnout that is more like a traditional trails game.

I just Met Zin and Olivier and it's hard to stop.
Thanks to the team for the great work it's been such a joy to read everything I can find.

Eusis

Well shit. Hope it all works out. :(

rickyson1

early in chapter 2 now so far so good but I am starting to get sick of not being able to open any doors

was able to open the first one but now literally the past 4 doors i've found in a row I haven't been able to open because I don't have the right party members

at least I can teleport to them later I guess

Does anyone know whats causing the battle camera to rotate constantly because I'm not sure whats going on and its hard to play with that going
Is tthere any way tto llock the camera from rotating

Just did my part :') I don't own FC for Steam, but I have it for PSP and have played it a few times through already, so I don't feel the need to replay that for a while.

nejyq1o.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know whats causing the battle camera to rotate constantly because I'm not sure whats going on and its hard to play with that going
Is tthere any way tto llock the camera from rotating

Probably need to reset/re-calibrate the controller. Or just turn off analog camera control if you don't use it.

Nyoro SF

Got up to finishing the 1st door today.

I have to say starting with such high health values, but taking so much damage anyway, is confusing my brain somehow. Maybe because I've never played an RPG that did that before.

Out of legitimate curiosity...

How did anyone even play these games on PSP/PS3 effectively in the first place? Pretty much the entire UI of these games top to bottom was made for mouse controls - And then there's the matter of the really long spell lists if you set your Quartz up right, which I can only imagine to be a scrolling nightmare at the PSP's resolution.

duckroll

How did anyone even play these games on PSP/PS3 effectively in the first place? Pretty much the entire UI of these games top to bottom was made for mouse controls - And then there's the matter of the really long spell lists if you set your Quartz up right, which I can only imagine to be a scrolling nightmare at the PSP's resolution.

What. I play all these games on the PC with a controller.

preta

I played the entire series on Vita (PSP versions of the Sky games) and I honestly have no idea what problems you could be picturing.

Massicot

Any missables in this one (like quests in other Trails games) or can I play this one without a guide?

EDIT: By which I mean any of the following: Any ways to permanently bungle door requirements, any missable characters or techniques, any particular character combinations I should have in certain areas to view special cutscenes (like the leadup to the end in SC), or any special equipment I can get by doing certain things (book collections, etc.)?

There's a missable involving not ever running away from battle until the final chapter (or at least until you fight 300 battles) and then something involved with books that I'm not 100% on. Japanese guides I think mention talking to schera and another in chapter 6.

Personally, I've played all of the games available on PC entirely with the mouse.

No, I'm not joking.

Me too. That feels like how they were designed, anyway. There's more thoughtful mouse controls than with most western PC games nowadays. Like bringing up the menu by putting the cursor at the top margins.

Kvik

Yeah, the entire trilogy can be played with just one hand, with a mouse.

I very rarely have to rotate the camera in FC/SC

vkrili

I find it easier to walk around and get pre-emptive strikes/talk to NPCs with a controller, but I can see the comfort in the mouse.

wrowa

Ugh, fell asleep last night before this unlocked. Failed to give XSEED the Hour 0 purchase they needed. I'm a failure. :(

Just bought it and installed. Sorry XSEED! T_T

Amateur. Real pros bought the game and then fell asleep looking at the download screen. :p

That's horrible, here's hoping everything will work out okay. :/

Personally, I've played all of the games available on PC entirely with the mouse.

No, I'm not joking.

Yessss, one-handed gaming ftw. Only thing that slightly annoyed me in FC/SC was that the mouse cursor would jump automatically to certain menu points. Does that still happen in 3rd?

rickyson1

No, I'm not joking.

kinda weird to think about but I think I have too

can't remember ever using the keyboard for anything

Yeah, the entire trilogy can be played with just one hand, with a mouse.

I very rarely have to rotate the camera in FC/SC

you can rotate the camera with the mouse wheel anyways

JudgeRAW00

Neo Member
Very excited to be off this weekend. Hopefully the apparent success of the 3rd brought us a little closer to seeing the Crossbell games come over. And maybe we will see CS3 in a reasonable amount of time (~1 year)

Thoraxes

Yeah, it goes up to 125FPS if I set it to Automatic. I can't get it to just stay locked at a max of 60FPS regardless of the mix of settings I've tried.

If I do anything else, like set the limit to 60 FPS with vsync on or off, it gets locked in at 56.3/57.3/57.6 FPS for me (can't remember which of these three it was off the top of my head), based on what Afterburner says. When it's at 125 though, for some reason the "stutter" (aka not syncing up with the monitor's framerate) isn't there, but that's only when I set it to automatic.

It's been a non-issue on automatic for me, but still odd nonetheless that it locks in below 60 FPS with it set to the 60FPS cap.

Played the Sky games on PC (hooked up to my TV) with a Wii U Pro Controller and wireless headset.

Knurek

Anyone can confirm the Cheat Engine speedhack works for 3rd?

If anyone has trouble with SGSSAA not working, NVIDIA Inspector 12xS mode seems to at least work (jaggies are almost eliminated, there's a lot of temporal shimmer though).

Ascheroth

Yessss, one-handed gaming ftw. Only thing that slightly annoyed me in FC/SC was that the mouse cursor would jump automatically to certain menu points. Does that still happen in 3rd?
Tbh I consider that an important QoL feature instead of an annoyance. Basically no long mouse distances!

theclaw135

Banned

A double edged sword. The gameplay is excellently suited to portable form, on the other hand feeling like straight ports has its downsides. UI clutter is an issue with PSP's screen size.

I guess I'm halfway through Chapter 2 now? Just did the boss in
Grand Arena
, which was a nice variation on an old friend from SC. Now I have to figure out if I should stick with Tita/Julia (both are super useful right now) or branch out before the chapter ends.

Ouch...I don't wanna know what happened to them, but I hope y'all are doing okay now. We tend to make light of this stuff, but I'd feel for ya in that situation regardless.

Turns out everything is just so well paced between story bits and dungeon traveling + unlocking more and more things it's a very interesting and great Trails game, exactly what I needed after the slight Zero burnout that is more like a traditional trails game.
What this game's doing right for me is more challenging combat in general, and great dialogue throughout (especially in the Doors...I just finished Julia's and found the discussion between her and Mueller interesting
not to forget the win-or-lose duel with Till the Night of Glory playing
). But there's plenty of one-off encounters to spice things up, and bosses like Bennu with multiple phases which force tactical improv and maybe even a change in strategy. The hub area's just cool, too, and has a bunch of fun interaction between the cast.

Anyone can confirm the Cheat Engine speedhack works for 3rd?
Been using speedhack since the beginning of my playthrough, and I've tested it as high as 5x without issue. I'm playing on Windows 7, though, and these games run into more problems at higher OSes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is going to be a really stupid question, but how do I rotate the camera using a mouse?

Edit: Mouse wheel. That was even more glaringly obvious than I expected.

So, how are people playing on hard doing? I only had time to do the first handful of fights yesterday and I'm wondering if I should restart on normal before I make significant progress.
With SC I ended up running into a boss that pissed me off and made me start over. Any difficulty spikes so far?

Never played one of these games before but I watched the launch trailer.

The ingame art looks super charming. I should get into this series at some point

preta

Never played one of these games before but I watched the launch trailer.

The ingame art looks super charming. I should get into this series at some point

I can't recommend it more highly.

Definitely start with FC though, and try not to read or watch anything more about SC or The 3rd for now.

Started the game yesterday, just arrived at Chapter 1. Liking it a lot. I'm looking forward to do one of those rare marathon sessions this weekend.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Of course after what I said earlier the game has tried to make me do a 180 on
Tita. Her healing craft with the status cleanser has been a lifesaver this early on when you don't really have many options, and Deathblow Turn Bonuses makes her AOE matter even without status quartz.

So, how are people playing on hard doing? I only had time to do the first handful of fights yesterday and I'm wondering if I should restart on normal before I make significant progress.
With SC I ended up running into a boss that pissed me off and made me start over. Any difficulty spikes so far?

On Chapter 2; nothing like the SC Prologue boss so far.

rickyson1

it never ceases to amaze me just how much estelle has grown on me over time,I don't think i've ever had a change of opinion quite as big on any character in anything

I thought she was a bad character(not like "this is ruining the game" bad but bad) for like the entire first game

vkrili

it never ceases to amaze me just how much estelle has grown on me over time,I don't think i've ever had a change of opinion quite as big on any character in anything

I thought she was a bad character(not like "this is ruining the game" bad but bad) for like the entire first game

kt7WtN1.png

Foffy

Banned
I always held back on playing these games because they're so story heavy, but now that it appears all of the games of this story are out, I think it's time to change that.

I don't need to have knowledge or history of previous Legend of Heroes or Dragon Slayer to start with Trails, right? I know the 3rd is..the third game, but I am talking of the trilogy in general. I believe it's all of the sequels from Trails that use the same base as canon, like the Cold Steel games.

Body me if wrong.

Arthea

I always held back on playing these games because they're so story heavy, but now that it appears all of the games of this story are out, I think it's time to change that.

I don't need to have knowledge or history of previous Legend of Heroes or Dragon Slayer to start with Trails, right? I know the 3rd is..the third game, but I am talking of the trilogy in general. I believe it's all of the sequels from Trails that use the same base as canon, like the Cold Steel games.

Body me if wrong.

that's right, you don't need to play any previous game before playing Trails in the sky FC

No, I'm not joking.

that's no joke, I dare you to find any game that controls better with the mouse than Trails

Trails is the mouse paradise.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Body me if wrong.
All of this info is in the OP.

Kvik

If anyone has trouble with SGSSAA not working, NVIDIA Inspector 12xS mode seems to at least work (jaggies are almost eliminated, there's a lot of temporal shimmer though).

Sadly 12xS isn't working for me. I have better luck forcing MSAA 4x via dgVoodoo2. Check the curves on the tables in these shots.

It is super expensive, however. I have to lock it to 60fps to avoid hitches.

Top Bottom