• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

What's their playstyle overall? like what makes them unique from other 40k factions?

They are...automatons. They specialize in being able to come back unless completely destroyed as a unit. Basically, if you're fighting against a unit of 20, you have to destroy the whole unit or they will regenerate. They also have very strong fire power with some specialized melee units, but they're a very daunting army to play against if you don't know how to fight them.

Leunam

Without having seen the new rules...

Relentless. They can pour on quality firepower while being hard to kill. And not because they're individually tough, but because they will piece themselves back together if not killed deader than dead. Their vehicles also have strong defense beyond just their hulls, and I think the Monolith got a big boost in that regard. They don't particularly shine in close combat like other races do, but their melee troops can still be scary.

Someone else will surely provide a better answer but these are the trademarks that they've mostly had since their release. Skeleton bots that refuse to die that flay the armor and skin off their enemies with their gauss weapons.

Mikeside

Painted my first Poxwalker.
1 down, 39 to go!

xSksgGK.jpg

Mikeside

thanks guys!

Gotta strip my primaris marines as the primer I used on them went all thick and gloopy as it dried.
Hoping they come out OK or I'll be pissed at losing half my 8th ed box!

Palmer_v1

So I'm still on the fence about 40k. Not sure what fan sites are useful for a newbie, so you guys are all I have for now. What exactly makes 8e better than previous editions? Why is everyone so happy with GW when it normally seems like everyone hates their business practices?

What kind of investment would I realistically need to make to have a playable army? Probably Necron at this point.

Leunam

Games Workshop had a reputation before as not being friendly to the hobbyists who buy their product but that has been turning around for a few years now. The Start Collecting boxes are the best deals you can get in their catalog when starting or expanding your army. Their YouTube page has greatly changed improved on the hobby side and with tournament coverage. Their relationships with online retailers are improving too, and now you don't have to go through loopholes to buy their stuff from other retailers. Their prices have gone up over the years, that much is definitely true, I don't think that's ever going to change. Their consumer friendly pivot has also brought niche games to the forefront as well, like Blood Bowl, "Necromunda" and "Mordheim", and model support for 30k.

8th Edition was originally feared to be an oversimplification of the system, kind of the way Age of Sigmar was for Fantasy. But over time Age of Sigmar surged in popularity, and the worries about it being too dumbed down subsided to a degree. Games Workshop took the lessons learned there and used that for 8th Edition 40k. Lots and lots of rules that bogged down the game were scrapped and many modifiers were removed. What you get is a very streamlined game where you spend less time looking up individual keywords in the rulebook, but still has the tactical depth that people assume you lose when you have simpler rules.

Not only is it a good time to be into Warhammer, it's a good time to be into miniature wargames in general if you have the community to support it.

Ohnonono

thanks guys!

Gotta strip my primaris marines as the primer I used on them went all thick and gloopy as it dried.
Hoping they come out OK or I'll be pissed at losing half my 8th ed box!

As an alternative you can buy primer that you can put on by hand with a brush. It certainly takes longer but you can do it inside and year round. It is also much harder to screw it up. I think the stuff I have is from either Reaper or Valleijo. My local store had it. Before that I used Gesso (you can find it at an art store.) Gesso is used to prime canvases for painting. It comes in White and Black and you can mix them for grey. Gesso tightens on the model more than normal primer though so it can leave tiny little pinholes after you paint the primer on. You can either touch these up with regular black paint or the Gesso.

It takes a whole lot longer but I will never touch my minis with a rattle can again. Airbrush is another story. If I had one of those I would use it for priming in a heartbeat. Much more control.

Palmer_v1

Thanks again for all the previois 40k answers. Still eyeballing Necrons, but i might be able to get a fair amount of Tau via a trade.

Can anyone give me a brief rundown on how Tau play, and what makes them unique, as well as how hard to paint they would be?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Thanks again for all the previois 40k answers. Still eyeballing Necrons, but i might be able to get a fair amount of Tau via a trade.

Can anyone give me a brief rundown on how Tau play, and what makes them unique, as well as how hard to paint they would be?

It is hard to say specifically for 8th ed,

but the typical playstyle of T'au is long range firepower. They have really high tech shooting and technology but poor close combat. They have very maneuverable battlesuits with all sorts of gadgets but again, mid-long range is their area.

Leunam

Yeah, speaking from a seventh edition perspective, Tau excel in mid to long range combat. They melt in melee to just about any core unit in the game, and will be chopped up to a fine red mist against any baddie that thinks guns are for wusses.

But their shooting, good God their shooting, you really get good options. Low damage high rate of fire, single shot high damage, their varied arsenal coupled with marker light stacking can simply erase units in a general direction. The standard Pulse Rifle that your Fire Warriors can take is arguably the best basic weapon available to troop choices. Though they work well as a static gunline, Tau also have very good mobility thanks to their transports and battle suits.

Most of the models are very easy to paint because they feature large flat panels. Their symbols and markings are easy to pull off and can add some character to individuals. Kroot and Vespid offer great opportunities for a splash of color that contrasts your army in case you need a painting break from your theme. Fire Warriors and other infantry aren't as posable as other kits (Marines) but their suits can be pretty dynamic for what they are with little to no converting.

Nazo

Can someone please give me some advice? I've been doing some edge highlights on some of my space marines and I keep running into the same problem. The paint at the tip of the brush drys almost instantaneously and if it doesn't I run out of paint on the brush after doing a single highlight. Is there some kind of technique or do I just need to thin my paints more?

Palmer_v1

I'm about ready to drop the Batman Miniature Game. It has potential, but I feel like it has the worst playtesters and translators possible. Model balance seems okay, but almost every other aspect of the game is shrouded in mystery and contradictions. Every time I ask a question, I get multiple answers, with zero citations, which often create even more questions.

I think all of the playtesters are just in it for swag and insider info, but don't actually try to break the game like they should. Then they act offended that anyone has questions. They fundamentally don't realize that every question we have to ask is a massive failure on their part.

Leunam

Can someone please give me some advice? I've been doing some edge highlights on some of my space marines and I keep running into the same problem. The paint at the tip of the brush drys almost instantaneously and if it doesn't I run out of paint on the brush after doing a single highlight. Is there some kind of technique or do I just need to thin my paints more?

Can't say I've ever had this problem. Give your paints a very good, hard shake before you use them to be sure the components mix well then thin it down some on your palette. Paint retarder or a wet palette could also help.

I'm about ready to drop the Batman Miniature Game. It has potential, but I feel like it has the worst playtesters and translators possible. Model balance seems okay, but almost every other aspect of the game is shrouded in mystery and contradictions. Every time I ask a question, I get multiple answers, with zero citations, which often create even more questions.

I think all of the playtesters are just in it for swag and insider info, but don't actually try to break the game like they should. Then they act offended that anyone has questions. They fundamentally don't realize that every question we have to ask is a massive failure on their part.

I've been toying around with a miniatures game idea myself (Mad Max car combat, though it's been done already) and I know exactly the person I want to play test it precisely because I know he'll try to break the game every chance he gets.

Palmer_v1

Time to ask for more help! So I can get my hands on Tau via a trade for some other stuff, and the guy told me to come up with a 2k point list and he'd see what he could do.

So... what's a good 2k point list for Tau? I really have no idea what I'm doing yet.

So I've been cracking on with my Dark Imperium box..

Think I'll do the Hellblasters or some Intercessors next, since those are the most 'boring' models in the set.

Looking really good! Nice to see some none smurf Primaris marines!

I'm really impressed with the quality of the starter box miniatures all round.

Papa Nurgle would be proud of the chaos stuff on this page. Lovely and disgusting! I finished assembling the contents of the box a few days back and have to say I love the Nurgle stuff, so much personality, so much guts.

Jinaar

I posted this already in the WH40K Thread but since more actual finished miniatures are here, will double post.

CYPHER
A8a2QCD.jpg

EMPEROR'S CHILDREN PRIMARUS MARINE
DZCMX33.jpg

I forgot to edge highlight the Helmet on the Emp Child. Have to go back and fix that and the parchment. I just wanted to get it done, so rushed that last part. First time I never used any metal paints. Was fun to test out NMM.

Yeah, I'm really confused where to post stuff now. The 40k thread is starting to feel more like the place for all 40k stuff and this thread for everything else miniature related.

Miniatures and 40k are inseparable. Maybe we should ask the opinions of others and see if we can reach a consensus.

Brakke

Banned
I played that Dark Souls game. It's not really at all like Dark Souls but it seemed pretty fun. Only did one run at a miniboss (gargoyle).

Mini quality wasn't great unfortunately. If you're going to use soft-ass plastic and shape the storage slots poorly, maybe don't have so many models with spears and long, thing swords. It's all bent to heck and back.

Draxal

Yeah, I'm really confused where to post stuff now. The 40k thread is starting to feel more like the place for all 40k stuff and this thread for everything else miniature related.

Miniatures and 40k are inseparable. Maybe we should ask the opinions of others and see if we can reach a consensus.

I'd say both? The new warhammer set is a watershed moment for the industry imho.

I'm just waiting for non snapfit primaris marines.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I posted this already in the WH40K Thread but since more actual finished miniatures are here, will double post.

CYPHER
A8a2QCD.jpg

EMPEROR'S CHILDREN PRIMARUS MARINE
DZCMX33.jpg

I forgot to edge highlight the Helmet on the Emp Child. Have to go back and fix that and the parchment. I just wanted to get it done, so rushed that last part. First time I never used any metal paints. Was fun to test out NMM.

How do you manage to edge so cleanly?

Jinaar

Honestly, its really hit or miss. I have a 00 brush where I tried to use it for edge highlights but I am now using a 1 brush and having more luck.

The key with the 1 brush is to thin my paint a tad and dab a little on a piece of paper first. If it works out, I can pretty much do a 45 degree angle with my brush to the edge and apply without pooling any of the paint and blotching it up.

If I am lucky with that same technique, I can also apply it directly to the model like I am just painting with basic strokes.

Some paints I have had better luck with then others in the Citadel line. It really is patience and trying to lightly hit the model and continue with the same strokes over top of each other building up the color.

I really need to practice personally more on it.

The last thing I guess to say is at times, I also have good luck when I have more paint on the brush. My mind believes if I just keep a small amount on just the tip, that is enough, but more often then not, there isn't enough life on the tip before it just dries up before being applied. Having more paint on the brush allows it to flow off easier, consistently and for a longer time.

I have a funny feeling I wash my brush too often after every application to the model and by doing that, I keep artificially loading water onto the brush, which I then add back into the paint on my wet palette.

Painting is so complex and complicated. But like most people will say, in order to become good/great at something you have to put in the hours (what was it, 10K hours?). I think am around 100hrs. Many many many more to go.

EDIT: The models look really good just with the naked eye on them. When taking such close up shots and using SHARPED filter no Photoshop, it really makes the models look bad. But that's what you get when you take a microscope to it :) Regardless, listening to some professional model painters and hearing the best take away that you "can never paint the perfect model", allows me to see my errors or weaknesses and move onto the next model with that knowledge and hopefully I correct it.

I started this to focus on miniature gaming in general cause the board game thread years ago was getting lot of posts on mini games and some didn't care for it, so created a separate miniature game thread. Idea was to cover anything miniature gaming related.

Course later on a Warhammer thread was created, and a separate X-Wing one too.... so yea.....

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I played that Dark Souls game. It's not really at all like Dark Souls but it seemed pretty fun. Only did one run at a miniboss (gargoyle).

Mini quality wasn't great unfortunately. If you're going to use soft-ass plastic and shape the storage slots poorly, maybe don't have so many models with spears and long, thing swords. It's all bent to heck and back.

Mine aren't bent up too badly. Ornstein's spear had a kink in it but I was able to tease it back into place.

Haven't played it yet but I'm having a blast painting it. Moving on to Smough and Boreal Dancer next. I'll post them when I figure out how to embed photos on mobile.

Brakke

Banned
Get some unscented chapstick and rub a bit on your fingertips to keep it from sticking to you.

I never really used green stuff except for gap filling.

Do the sign of the aquilla before you begin. Make sure you report back that you did otherwise nurgles rot might come after you.

Oh! I posted in the 40k thread but rudely didn't post here, but I rang the bell 7 times and I think nurgle blessed me.

Edit-Yes! I managed to snag some Vargheists for their wings on Ebay. Gonna make some sick Tyranid Shrikes when they arrive 8D

RMI

Banned

pair of genestealers i painted up as tests for my 40k nids/gsc that i am going to be working on. I have my energy spread out between a lot of models right now, but working on 3 tyranid warriors (built), a company of kurita battlemechs (basecoated), and a heavy support squad of 30k death guard with las cannons, plus a siege breaker consul (armor painted/shaded/highlighted - working on details).

I have been pretty motivated to hobby lately.

barik

I just realized I had enough color tests to make up a small unit of plague marines:

tumblr_ossizv4GKF1wqfx56o1_1280.jpg

That's one thing I don't see discussed often: knowing what a color scheme is supposed to be, but being unable to pick a specific scheme/method to go with, and being afraid to commit to a single one. Same with basing. Anyone else suffer from this, or am I just shoving my perfectionism into something that is supposed to be relaxing?

Top Bottom