• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What other hobbies do you have outside of gaming?

Tams

wanks GIF

Dural

I used to race 1/8 electric buggy and truggy. Still have them but haven't raced them in nearly a decade. Also have a brushless Axial Bomber V2 and Losi 5ive T gen 1 with various upgrades like a fully modified 30.5cc rooster tail engine. I don't do RC car stuff any more really, but it's all there still.

I stopped RC cars when I got into drones. I have various racers and freestyle quads and worked with Karearea in design of racing frames. They still make the best racing frames imo, not the lightest but the way they handle is superb. God knows how many quads I've had or built but I keep 3 ready to race, a 5, 4 and 3" freestyle quad and a wall full of planes ranging from the super light EPP 3D foamies to larger planes like the Grand Tundra or Flex Innovations Cap 232.

Need to get back into the RC stuff but I've been busy with mountain biking now. Bought Dec 28 2021, been riding for a bit over and year finally just hit over 1000kms. I'm not much for jumping, but I'm learning at nearly 40yrs old. I like the steep technical stuff but I'm getting better at the other stuff like drops, railing berms etc.

Some drone stuff

Some riding stuff

AGBWXJF.jpg

Nice, I'd like to get into POV with the quad I built but the cost of entry is so high. I've watched a bunch of videos of EDF planes and would love to get one. There's just so much in the RC world to do, I got my son a brushless boat a couple years back that is lots of fun.

Garibaldi

Motorbiking is my main hobby. I'm up to 3 bikes now. A ridiculous 1000c sports bike (s1000rr if anyone is interested), a Tiger 900 Rally Pro for touring and some light off road and an old SV650 which I just pull to bit and tinker with mainly. Thinking of flogging that on and getting a naked street bike to finish off the trifecta.

I'm also quite heavily invested in football (or soccer for those who call it that). Been a Newcastle United supporter (30 years) and ticket holder for about 25 years.

Love getting out and hiking with the dog too. That's more of a recent thing.

I read quite often too but along with TV/movies I don't really count that as a hobby.

Gaming is usually when I've got nowt else to do.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Nice, I'd like to get into POV with the quad I built but the cost of entry is so high. I've watched a bunch of videos of EDF planes and would love to get one. There's just so much in the RC world to do, I got my son a brushless boat a couple years back that is lots of fun.

Yeh the barrier with quads is quite high. Planes have a lower entry but don't survive crashes. After you get over the initial FPV bump for goggles etc it gets easier.

I actually thought I would enjoy EDF, but in the end I actually found prop planes way more enjoyable; just a tonne of fun to fly and a lot more agile; the EDFs need speed and are easily lost in the sky and aren't as acrobatic.

Honestly get yourself a Bixler 2. They are cheap as (don't get the Bixler 3, it's crap) and have a toy around with one of them. They are super easy to fly and you can learn to fly inverted, do loops etc.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I can help you out here because I've done enough research by now.

This one sounds like a pretty good way to start: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-Command-Edition-EN-2020?_requestid=18752255

Along with a paint set if you want to paint your own figures: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/40k-Paint-and-Tool-Set-EN-ES-2020

This will set you up for both solo and 2-player games, or give you a cool set of Necron and Astartes figures, along with a few terrain pieces to paint. It also includes a rulebook, lore book, stat cards, and everything you need to start playing.

should I finally decide to order a set, this is what I would start with.
I’m wondering if I should wait till the 10th edition launches before buying ?

I've been also thinking quite seriously about getting into model making. I'm just not sure where to start with it. I've been even considering getting into Warhammer 40k tabletop just for the figure painting aspect of it, but I think gluing some jet fighters could also be pretty fun.
I started doing this during Covid and I absolutely recommend it. I had never done it before either. Here's what you need:

1. Xacto knife
2. Flush cut wire cutters (must be flush cut!)
3. Citadel plastic glue
4. Citadel Wraith Bone spray primer
5. The Army Painter Speedpaint Starter set

People will give you thousands of recommendations all across the board but honestly this is the best way to give the hobby a fair shot without a huge $$$ investment. Buy a single miniature, put it together, prime it, paint it and go from there.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I’m wondering if I should wait till the 10th edition launches before buying ?
I guess it doesn't matter. It's not like the game will become unplayable just because a new edition came out, and if you're buying it just for the fun of model painting then it matters even less.

Dural

Yeh the barrier with quads is quite high. Planes have a lower entry but don't survive crashes. After you get over the initial FPV bump for goggles etc it gets easier.

I actually thought I would enjoy EDF, but in the end I actually found prop planes way more enjoyable; just a tonne of fun to fly and a lot more agile; the EDFs need speed and are easily lost in the sky and aren't as acrobatic.

Honestly get yourself a Bixler 2. They are cheap as (don't get the Bixler 3, it's crap) and have a toy around with one of them. They are super easy to fly and you can learn to fly inverted, do loops etc.

The Bixler 2 looks great, especially for the price. Even FPV ready if I ever jump into that.

bitbydeath

Currently building a website, or at least orchestrating one for others to build, and about to step up my writing game, has been a long time since I’ve been distracted with work and the website.

badblue

Cooking is pretty much my number one hobby. Got some chicken brining in the fridge right now for fajitas later and made a big pot of chili the other day. I'm also pretty excited that I'm final getting a new BBQ after my last one rusted out in 2019. Got some pork loin in the freezer waiting for it.

I do a bit of wood carving and writing as well.

Does living through my children count? It counts, it's all I have time for. Sport, tournaments and more sport for them so I volunteer a ton at their various clubs.

Summer - camping, beaching, snorkelling and fishing. Also pretending to do manly projects at home.

Winter - drinking, eating and trying to workout for summer. Eating is a hobby right?

New hobby - I'm investing in MTB so I can ride with my son and his friends who are pretty nutso on it. I spend enough time transporting them to tracks and jumps as it is. I miss my BMX racing days. Old man injuries inbound this year.

EDIT:

You two need to get a room.

My hobbies are sport fucking.

Being a cunt.

Last edited:
Gaming is my most consistent hobby, but there's some other things I enjoy.

Trying to get back into biking, but it's been years. Just bought a new pump on impulse after reading this thread so that's good (old one broke a while back). I hate buying crap that I don't use so this will probably get me back on the bike for a bit. In the mean time, I get some physcial activity by going on runs 3 times a week and taking the dogs for 10-15 minute walks a couple of times a day. I used to hate running, but actually enjoy it quite a bit now.

I've also been binging a lot material on Youtube for religious mysticism, philosophy, and western esotericism. In particular, I find ancient theories of metaphysics to be incredibly stimulating. Mostly interested in finding inspiration for building a hard magic system for a story/game I want to write at some point.

On a related note, I like learning about history and ancient cultures. At the moment, I'm very interested in learning more about the Incas. Hoping to gleam some good ideas for world building.

Attempting to learn DirectX12 by working through some sample code in my off-time. The problem is that I keep coming across some new data structure I haven't heard about every couple of lines and end up going down a rabbit hole learning about it. It doesn't help that my day job has me coding so I'm mentally exhausted in the evenings most weekdays and want to do anything else but write more code on the weekends. One line at a time, I guess.

I used to like to grill regularly when I was living in a house and had a yard. Wife and I moved to an apartment a couple months back. Now, the only grill available is near the only pool for the complex so they're always in use. I'm not a particularly good cook and only make grilled ribs, but it was a ritual of mine to wind down on Sunday evenings. I miss that a lot.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Drawing and painting is the big one.

Keeping creepy crawlies. I have four tarantulas, an asian forest scorpion, a corn snake, a bearded dragon, and a jumping spider.

Does reading count? All kinds of books but also comics and manga.

Do movies count? I've seen a loooooooot of movies. I hung out at Blockbuster so much as a teenager the manager hired me. So then I spent the next 4 years watching all 10 of my free rentals per week. Every week.

Warhammer 40k kits.

There are other things but these are the main things I suppose.

Jsisto

Cooking
Reading
Bodyweight exercises and casual indoor rock climbing
Indoor plants
Collecting affordable men’s fragrances/colognes
Fucking supermodels

I think that about covers it as far as recent hobbies.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Eating at new Japanese restaurants
Riding a bicycle
Headphones / music listening
Lots of useless YouTube watching

TylerD

-Listening to music, mostly in full length album or concert format. Attending concerts.

-Enjoying the company of and exercising with my 8 year old Boston Terrier, Vincent

-Watching, learning about, and doing BMW repair and maintenance.
I own a 42K mile 2017 X3 xDrive35i bought 4/2021 with 29K miles and a 125K mile 2006 330ci 6spd with rare ZHP performance package bought 8/2012 with 55K miles. Though now since I work from home a lot less maintenance is needed so it's more minor restoration of my 330ci and detailing of both which is also very satisfying.
I had told myself years ago that I wasn't going to buy a newer BMW but I had learned so much over the years and once you "know" them it really isn't that bad. They come apart and go together pretty nice but there may be more steps involved. They also drive and generally feel really good when properly sorted.

-Watching, learning about, and doing DIY house projects, repair and maintenance.

Why not right? I guess I feel super empowered when saving money working and fixing my own stuff... within reason. I'm much more equipped for auto repair tools-wise but the access of getting to and working on things around the house is so much easier than on a car.

-Cooking and BBQ. Still enjoy it but do it quite a bit less and opt for more easily prepared meals and sandwiches more often than I used to. My favorite BBQ to make, pulled pork, freezes and reheats super well though so having ready to go half pound bags of meat in the freezer ready for some tacos, nachos, sandwiches, etc.. is always nice.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Videogaming is my main hobby (meaning playing, watching videos/listening podcast/reading about it...).

Others hobbies :
  • Playing music : use to play guitar casually. Now started (since 7 months) Cello and play on a daily basis.
  • Listening music
  • Reading (novels, comics, manga)
  • I have some phases where I do Pixelart or Miniatures painting.
Also I guess movie/serie/anime but I don't consider that like a hobby (at least on how I do it)

Last edited:

INC

DJ'in
Music production
Bouldering
Paintball
9 ball
Ancient history

And then I have a tendency to get really into things for short amounts of time, for instance I'm currently sorting my car, so spend loads of time researching mods, detailing etc etc. And this happens with a lot things I have a passing interest or investment in

Last edited:

Mohonky

New hobby - I'm investing in MTB so I can ride with my son and his friends who are pretty nutso on it. I spend enough time transporting them to tracks and jumps as it is. I miss my BMX racing days. Old man injuries inbound this year

Yeh don't try and keep up with the kids....I learnt the hard way at the jump park.

Mind you with your BMX racing background at least you'll have the basics of jumping, manualing and bunnyhops down. Trying to learn at about 40 with a 23kg ebike is bit of a strain

I'm attempting to get every top ten horror film since the US box office records started on the 3rd of March in 1922, per the trade paper, Variety.

I noticed on eBay, sellers charge ridiculous prices for out of print movies. But one thing I don't like about buying goods online is that the cases aren't very strong, so they are easily broken during transit. Unfortunately, because of how rare they are now, HMV and Fopp doesn't usually have them in stock anymore. Some films are also not available on Region B, 2, or whatever region the UK is known by. 🙃

In 1946, Variety began something called the National Box Office Survey where films in at least three cities were on the chart, based on their earnings from what they labelled as "key cities!" It was possible for a local film to gross more money than what was listed on the national chart, but there was a rule they implemented that stated if it had less than three screenings or something like that, it then wasn't eligible to chart, despite the enormous success of the movie. I don't really understand why that rule was even in place.

Somebody made film charts which he sold on Amazon under the name, Leonidas Fragias. I think he plans on doing another range of books where the policy I spoke of, is hereby ignored.

It's a tricky hobby. Costly, too.

🤡

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Getting in shape in the gym. Watching every RLM episode. Take long walks. Cooking.
Used to be "big" in anime
Daydreaming i guess. Should do a lot more. Pretty lethargic atm.

Not a hobby perse but i dream every night and i love it

How got did i forget. Podcasts. Lots of them.

Last edited:
- Movies
- TV Shows
- Creative Writing, I enjoy writing short horror mainly.
- Music
- Colouring/Drawing. It helps with my anxiety.
- More recently, working out. Enjoy going to the gym, for walks/runs.

Top Bottom