• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Squishy3

Late to the party perhaps, but finished the main story last night, some theories and thoughts:

So, Ala Mhigo. Basically just sitting there right now in all of its amazing Aht Urghan/Whitegate flair. Very, very curious to see if they open this up mid-cycle. If not I will personally be quite disappointed.

I think they will end up opening it, also noticed Kugane has an airship port with no routes yet, perhaps it'll fly to Ala Mhigo, seeing it as the closest port.

So, we have 1 confirmed hub (Rhalgar's Reach) and 2 potential candidates; Doman Enclave and less-hub more-city state, Ala Mhigo. Going to be an interesting patch cycle!
For the airship port, the attendent there mentions it sees arrivals from Hingashi and the Garlean Empire, among other places.

iammeiam

Nightmares of A4S (I believe) and our stupid WAR who wouldn't let go of their crafted gear that was super far behind.

Both our tanks started out A4S like that.

Then they just said screw it and went full Gordian slaying. At least with the crafted they were pretending to care about VIT!

I mostly remember when 3.2 hit, the AP calculation changed, they dropped the Gordian stuff to go back to crafted because it was again superior damage, and then we'd have to wait for them to change gear to queue into things because their actual used-in-fights sets were too low level.

I dunno why they thought they could get away without job-restricting the old gear too; we've already seen how all of this plays out.

Luigi87

Going through 3.4 now, I'm really glad GAF did that Coil run a month or two back, otherwise I would be pretty confused right now, lol

Luigi87

Dialogue changes if you didn't do Coil iirc

Ooh, neat. That is something else I love about this game I should add, specifically when completing job quests change MSQ dialogue (IE: Already knowing Y'mhitra by doing the Summoner quests)

Edit: And I just got to dialogue where Alphinaud directly mentions traversing the coils, lol

Kusagari

Ooh, neat. That is something else I love about this game I should add, specifically when completing job quests change MSQ dialogue (IE: Already knowing Y'mhitra by doing the Summoner quests)

I especially liked the dialogue changes in Heavensward if you had already met Estinien.

Since the 19th I've beaten ARR MSQs, pluggin away at HW Story, and just got to the Churning Mists. I'll get to where all the cool kids are eventually.

Main thing for me is that I want a new sword since I'm still swinging around a paddle as a Level 56 PLD. So hoping in a couple days I'll finally get to Idyllshire and spend my poetics on Shire Gear. I think that's the best course of action.

HW Spoilers for a Primal fight with: 1v1 me w/ padddle sword.
LOXJsCB.png

When I get to 60 I don't know what I want to do. Continue leveling PLD or start to level up Red Mage just to switch things up, I plaayed it a little and am liking it. Kinda tempted to by a 60 potion for DRK and hit things with a huge sword with huge guts. But Samurai might scratch that itch, be something different (a dps aside from my usual PLD) and save me money.

Sucks that my old FC lost all my main friends and now only a couple friends of friends are still on but never when I'm on. Luckily the Novice chat is there so I can just ask all my dumb questions and get answer quick, great feature.

Anyways, can I get a link to the GAF discord?

Rua

Awww. Shatter queues are taking 10+ minutes for me as dps now. I miss the 30 second queues :(

It's taking me 10+ minutes to queue into a dungeon as a tank. Also seeing people on shout complaining about not being able to get into potd.

Seems like the duty finder having problems again

B.K.

I had hoped to finish the story tonight, but I've got five or six more MSQs and six million experience points to level 70. Maybe tomorrow night or Tuesday.

iammeiam

TIL Battle Voice misses if you push it too quickly after you start a song--it looks like if you push it before the game has applied the song's crit buff to players, they dodge it?

Kyolux

Planning on starting up from where I left off tomorrow.

Somewhere early in 3.1 quests, with basically the lowest level 60 gear most likely that was available when HW first launched.

So should I just pick up my Dragoon back up and go through up to 3.5 or I'd be better place with getting SAM or RDM from 50 to 60 before doing those story quests gear-wise?

Any other optimal option to catch up on gear otherwise? I'm intrigued with trying PotD basically, I'd like to know where my attention should focus first off.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
IIRC Ishgard has vendors for 255 gear now so if you want to upgrade that might be a good idea.

Amazing how much I like this game now. When I first played it a couple years ago I wasn't feeling it. Wasn't like FFXI enough. But nowadays I don't have the time to lfp for 20 hours. Been having a blast soloing and then teaming up for dungeons

It took me way too long, but I finally got up here. My trial queue popped the second I got up the final jump, which took me to Nidhogg. That was fun, since I'm trying to get myself used to using the Dualshock 4 instead of my keyboard and it was the first time I wasn't healing it.

Got the sightseeing log and logged out there.

Haly

Good to know. Will give that a look. Are they expensive? I doubt I had a lot of gils. Or is that tomestone gear?

Vendor gear, I have no idea how expensive it is though.

Planning on starting up from where I left off tomorrow.

Somewhere early in 3.1 quests, with basically the lowest level 60 gear most likely that was available when HW first launched.

So should I just pick up my Dragoon back up and go through up to 3.5 or I'd be better place with getting SAM or RDM from 50 to 60 before doing those story quests gear-wise?

Any other optimal option to catch up on gear otherwise? I'm intrigued with trying PotD basically, I'd like to know where my attention should focus first off.

On top of the vendor gear, they added random gear rewards to various MSQs and to the 60 class quests(i210 gear for that, not sure about MSQ). Hard to say if you can get it where you are though.

If you have tomes from before though, you can buy i260 gear in Idylshire with poetics. Every old tomes can be converted to poetics. Gear is like 250-350 per piece or something, with weapons being 500.

If you pick RDM/SAM, you get a fair amount of poetics running potd which requires no gear anyway, and then you'll be able to buy most of your gear from tomes. But that kinda depends on what you want to play.

Welp getting into HW and level 54 I finally dropped my Lv34 Cavalry Cuirass glamour.
RIP for now...
So wish they had eventually added the option to dye it, unfair that more easily attainable versions(Dragoon's) that look the same can be.

Rocking a poncho atm, I wish there was more gear that felt environment specific for Paladin at least.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
General tips on the Bard, what should my rotation be while leveling etc. (assuming it's not wildly different from when I get to 70)

So yeah, just how do I not suck while leveling I guess lol.

I find that starting combat with Foe' Requiem in general is something to get accustomed to(just beware as it can possibly aggro other enemies nearby if you are mostly focusing on one). The cast timer is why it makes for a good opener and it's free bonus damage while active!

Otherwise, standard rotation. (1) Maintain your two dots. (2) Change Bard songs every 30s(and re-up Foe's requiem!)

The rest shouldn't require much explanation. Lots of Heavy Shot and Bloodletter/Sidewinder/etc... when available. Not too complicated once you get the rhythm. It can feel overwhelming initially but its really not.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What the heck is the point of all these diving areas outside Ruby Sea if there's nothing to gather from them?

I've had some quests take me to a few of them as well as a botany leve in Tanxia, but they seem pretty pointless.

iammeiam

I find that starting combat with Foe' Requiem in general is something to get accustomed to(just beware as it can possibly aggro other enemies nearby if you are mostly focusing on one). The cast timer is why it makes for a good opener and it's free bonus damage while active!

Otherwise, standard rotation. (1) Maintain your two dots. (2) Change Bard songs every 30s(and re-up Foe's requiem!)

The rest shouldn't require much explanation. Lots of Heavy Shot and Bloodletter/Sidewinder/etc... when available. Not too complicated once you get the rhythm. It can feel overwhelming initially but its really not.

Alongside this, you do want to kind of nudge your song order around in dungeons. Ballad is stupid AOE damage, and you want it up and active on trash packs as much as possible. The general idea is set up DoTs on a bunch of things at once and watch Bloodletter/Rain of Death spin constantly as it keeps proccing as soon as you can use it. It only gets dumber after you get the upgraded/longer lasting DoTs since 30 second duration means everything will be dead before you need to refresh. My big "this is ridiculous" moment was the big trash pull at the very start of the level 67 dungeon, where Ballad/DoTs/RoD spam /Eventual quick nock because procs were already constant peaked at like 9k dps.

Minuet is better single-target, because Perfect Pitch is a solid single-target attack but it does nothing for your AOE. I think (?) it's the current preferred Bard song on pull in single-target fights.

Paeon I'm not a big fan of, but if you build 4 stacks in Paeon and then switch songs, the recast time on the new song drops from 80 seconds to 67 seconds, meaning you can start it up again much sooner. Otherwise it's kind of boring filler in the rotation. Due to the cool down you'll use them all in AOE and single-target situations, it's just if you hit a point where you have multiple songs up what you're doing can influence which you'll pick.

If you're in a situation where MP isn't a concern, you can use Refresh to help increase the amount of Foe Req you can play. It eats MP at an insane rate, so it's not a huge gain, but anything > nothing.

In addition to Foe Req, you're generally going to want to use Battle Voice early in the pull to give the rest of your party a buff to Direct Hit. You have to have a song up, though.

OH. One major change that doesn't get highlighted enough: They got rid of Quelling Strikes, but Tactician and Refresh both act like Shroud of Saints and halve your enmity. Given the insane amount of damage and hate Bard can pump out really quickly on AOE, it's a good idea to keep an eye on threat and pop Tactician or Refresh if you need to get a thing to stop hitting you back.

Qvoth

A question for the 70 blms, now that we know lucid dream doesn't give mp during AF, what's a good replacement?
Is mana shift relevant enough? Does it give 20% max or current mp?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't really see the issues other sch's are having at 70 with MP. Haven't had a single mana issue.

Adlo is basically off limits unless you are blocking a tank buster/ going to spread for an aoe/ set up some dots and dps This is how it's always been, one aetherflow/energy drain together gives back almost 4k mana as well.

R0ckman

Are the lizard race guys suppose to always look dead inside? Most of the player controlled ones hardly change their expressions, saw one doing the manderville and she was just stone cold. Yugiri seems like the only one that has any life in her.

JonnyB

Banned
I can't help but think that the DPS queues would be a lot better if WAR and DRK were in a better spot in v4.0.

I play as PLD and absolutely love it, but it's really the only polished tank right now.

Ozigizo

IIRC Ishgard has vendors for 255 gear now so if you want to upgrade that might be a good idea.

I got mine off the market board for about 5k a piece. Best to get it now while everyone is getting it from their quests.

After about 2 weeks in HW, all that HQ stuff started to hit like 40k a pop.

I can't help but think that the DPS queues would be a lot better if WAR and DRK were in a better spot in v4.0.

I play as PLD and absolutely love it, but it's really the only polished tank right now.

That is just silly. In no way can you extrapolate meta talk on forums into having an effect on general population leveling habits. 2 new hot jobs. Both dps. No amount of kick ass war/drk changes where going to make the average player suddenly decide to spend the next 20+plus hours leveling a job they are already use to over taking the hot rod in their garage out for a spin.

Ashodin

Welp getting into HW and level 54 I finally dropped my Lv34 Cavalry Cuirass glamour.

RIP for now...
So wish they had eventually added the option to dye it, unfair that more easily attainable versions(Dragoon's) that look the same can be.

Rocking a poncho atm, I wish there was more gear that felt environment specific for Paladin at least.

You got a pic of that poncho?

scy

Real talk, 90%+ of the tanks you see in DF probably don't even know, or really care, about that form of tank balance.

Haly

DPS queues would be a lot better if it was 3 DPS instead of 2.

thinking.gif

Top Bottom