• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PSP2 (NGP) will be affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
FoneBone said:
At this point, I think that's more likely, yes.

If that's true, and I was Nintendo, I would lower the 3DS price by 50 bucks just in time for next holiday season. They can hold the price at 200 for a few years, but there needs to be a 100 dollar difference between the 3DS and NGP IMO.

rObit

Banned
I expect $399. I don't see Sony bending over backwards to hit the 3DS price range, not with what we're seeing in the PSP2. If they could bring it to $300, or heck even $350 that would be a big step, but I don't see it.

$399 for WiFi, who knows what they'll do with the 3G one with plans and stuff.

NomarTyme

GDGF said:
If that's true, and I was Nintendo, I would lower the 3DS price by 50 bucks just in time for next holiday season.
I don't see it unless the sales are really bad. I say they'll keep the original price but bundle it with something.

FoneBone

GDGF said:
If that's true, and I was Nintendo, I would lower the 3DS price by 50 bucks just in time for next holiday season.
They're more likely to introduce a new bundle for $249 to add perceived value before they actually drop the upfront price.

EDIT: Beaten.

They can hold the price at 200 for a few years, but there needs to be a 100 dollar difference between the 3DS and NGP IMO.
Not convinced of that. Maybe after Sony shows software that looks more of a system-seller.

GDGF

Soothsayer
NomarTyme said:
I don't see it unless the sales are really bad. I say they'll keep the original price but bundle it with something.

Yeah you guys are probably right about that. I could see a Mario Kart bundle really turning some heads, actually. Maybe introduce the red color along with it. It'd be nice.

Same price as the 3DS. That's my guess. It's a PSP with two upgraded components, extra stick, and a couple of very affordable gimmicks. Without a UMD reader which should be a nice trade off.

Guevara said:
given the competition which I view as the 3DS (of course), the iPod Touch, and newer Android/iPhones.

Sorry, but that's not true. I know business sense will make it seem like your competitors are in much broader category, but you cannot apply every textbook thinking to real life:

1. Phones are phones. Their primary function is to communicate i.e. call, SMS, etc. This is primarily a gaming device, with all other features being extras. It is thus primarily positioned at gamers.

2. Android/iOS games are impulse buys - $1, $2, $3, etc. You cannot compete with that no matter how much you try. First of all: your margins are really bad - Angry Birds selling 1mln @ $0.99 is only 20k copies of a game @ $50, which a lot of games nowadays (even niche Japanese ones) have no problems or reaching.

The economies of iOS/Android gaming market and dedicated hardware are different - say what you want, no big publisher like EA and Activision will be able to live off selling its games for smartphones. Won't happen. Activision will not be able to get as much money from CoD on iOS as it does in X360 - not now, not in 20 years.

In the end smartphones will continue to be a place for inexpensive ports with stripped features.

3. Android/iOS phones are subsidized by the carrier - I'm sorry, but paying $600 for an iPhone 4 is miles ahead on retard scale than paying $599 for a PS3. Again, no way Sony can compete directly with a device like that. Human logic works like that:

-OMFG, 299$ for a handheld? INSANE! I bite when it drops to $150 (lots of ppl on GAF are posting this everyday)

-iPhone is so cool! I need to renew my AT&T contract so I will grab it later in the year.

It is the same when prices are always rounded to .99 instead of full number - most people, even if they compute 24 months x XYZ (arriving at much higher price point) will still try to convince others iPhone is a great deal.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Anyone with a 40 hour a week or even part time job can put 5-10 a week down for this and be ready for launch.

Tell that to people who have no idea of what "Savings" are (which includes vast majority of Western world).

Thetallywacker said:
It's a PSP with two upgraded components, extra stick, and a couple of very affordable gimmicks.

I don't think you understand how technology works. If PS3 is upgraded PS2, why did it retail for $599? Should be selling for $200, amirite?

Owzers

I was hoping 3DS would be $199, they made it $249 off the back of massive internet hype.

I'm hoping PSP2 wi-fi only version is $299 max, possibly even $249. Pricing it at $399 would just be insane.

Why For?

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
3. Android/iOS phones are subsidized by the carrier - I'm sorry, but paying $600 for an iPhone 4 is miles ahead on retard scale than paying $599 for a PS3. Again, no way Sony can compete directly with a device like that. Human logic works like that:

I paid $860AU for the iPhone 4. I don't take phones on contract. I like the freedom of not being on contract for 2 years.

gofreak said:

This is why I honestly think Kutaragi was a liability. Under his watch they produced a tech beast that sold at an insane price, that lost them an even more insane amount of money on each unit, that has consistently been restrained against price-dropping aggressively, and which uses a baroque architecture that many developers still aren't used to.

Now the NGP pushes fairly high-end power on a developer-friendly architecture and parts that are ripe to drop in price aggressively almost immediately. It's a far saner approach to high-end technology.

pulga

Banned
Amir0x said:
no, it only does

MULTI TOUCH
REAR TOUCH
GYROSCOPES
ACCELEROMETERS
DUAL ANALOG

more gameplay possibilities than 3DS. Never thought I'd see that day. They should try to highlight this in the ads somehow.

Not sure why gyros and accelerometers are up there, 3DS has 'em too.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
$359.99 for WiFi version

$449.99 - for 3G version

You heard it here first.

And lol @ the people that actually believe this thing will be under $300 USD...

GDGF said:
You think 299 basic/399 premium? Would 3G really be a 100 dollar difference maker?

No, so you add more flash memory and some other minor features or pack-ins to compensate.

The issue isn't what it actually costs to sell the more expensive SKU; it's that when companies do a two-SKU strategy (and they're not doing it to disguise an insane botched launch like with the PS3) the pricier SKU is to capture price-insensitive customers so you want to charge as much as you feasibly can and offset the small losses you're taking on the cheaper "mass market" edition. People are used to $100 tiering on both phones/tablets and on game consoles, and a $100 difference actually makes entry-level people feel better about buying the cheaper one (as opposed to a $50 difference which can cause second-guessing about which version to get.)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Define "affordable."

The PS3 was affordable if you had a nice paying job. An $8,000 Digital SLR is affordable if you get lots of photography gigs.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Anyone with a 40 hour a week or even part time job can put 5-10 a week down for this and be ready for launch.

Anyone can buy literally any object by putting down $5-10 a week for a sufficiently long time. That doesn't necessarily mean something is reasonably priced. :p

theBishop

Banned
charlequin said:
This is why I honestly think Kutaragi was a liability. Under his watch they produced a tech beast that sold at an insane price, that lost them an even more insane amount of money on each unit, that has consistently been restrained against price-dropping aggressively, and which uses a baroque architecture that many developers still aren't used to.

Now the NGP pushes fairly high-end power on a developer-friendly architecture and parts that are ripe to drop in price aggressively almost immediately. It's a far saner approach to high-end technology.

One thing I'll want to see with PSP2 is how the technology ages. Say what you want about Kuturagi's crazy designs, but the games consistently improve throughout the system's life. This has been true of every Playstation so far. If hardware engineers make everything easy to access up front, it risks topping out early.

Amir0x

Banned
pulga said:
Not sure why gyros and accelerometers are up there, 3DS has 'em too.

The point is that the PSP 2 has more combined gameplay enhanced feature than any other gaming-dedicated device on the market, not a 1:1 comparison versus the 3DS. The 3DS has a few gameplay enhancements for sure as well as the touch screen which PSP NGP does not have; the PSP NGP has many many more on top.

Just like anything, you take the device as one unit. As ONE unit, the PSP NGP has more gameplay possibilities combined than the 3DS. The technology facilitates it at every turn, Sony has packed the shit to the brim with features.

That's why it's pretty ridiculous to say Sony has positioned PSP NGP as "more and better" and not, somehow, the 3DS. If the PSP NGP is just more of the same "but better", then so is 3DS.

Vinci

Danish
GDGF said:
If that's true, and I was Nintendo, I would lower the 3DS price by 50 bucks just in time for next holiday season. They can hold the price at 200 for a few years, but there needs to be a 100 dollar difference between the 3DS and NGP IMO.

Why would Nintendo need to do that?

spwolf

theBishop said:
One thing I'll want to see with PSP2 is how the technology ages. Say what you want about Kuturagi's crazy designs, but the games consistently improve throughout the system's life. This has been true of every Playstation so far. If hardware engineers make everything easy to access up front, it risks topping out early.

that makes no sense... it is better hardware is hard to work with so it takes them 4 years to fully exploit it? isnt it better to get best possible games tomorrow, and not in 4 years?

Of course, none of it works that way, there is always learning and innovation curve.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
The point is that the PSP 2 has more combined gameplay enhanced feature than any other gaming-dedicated device on the market, not a 1:1 comparison versus the 3DS. The 3DS has a few gameplay enhancements for sure as well as the touch screen which PSP NGP does not have; the PSP NGP has many many more on top.

Just like anything, you take the device as one unit. As ONE unit, the PSP NGP has more gameplay possibilities combined than the 3DS. The technology facilitates it at every turn, Sony has packed the shit to the brim with features.

That's why it's pretty ridiculous to say Sony has positioned PSP NGP as "more and better" and not, somehow, the 3DS. If the PSP NGP is just more of the same "but better", then so is 3DS.
But isn't that what everyone wanted?

braves01

Banned
Can someone direct me to a video that shows off rear touch? If eliminating that can save me $50 off whatever crazy price Sony sets for this thing, I don't think I'd mind since all I've seen of the feature is from Uncharted, and the implementation there looks terrible.

Amir0x

Banned
Lonely1 said:
But isn't that what everyone wanted?

I'm not debating against the conclusion, only against the argument.

The argument is -> The PSP NGP is "more and better" but the 3DS is "new and different".
The truth is -> PSP NGP has more combined fundamental gameplay enhancement functionality than any other handheld gaming device ever made. If one is new, then so is the other. If one is not new, then neither is the other.

theBishop said:

This has nothing to do with technology "aging". X360 has pretty simple and open architecture, and current games look way better than launch titles in 2005. It's simply a matter of getting more comfortable with the system, learning to do 2 things instead of 5 for the same effect.

PS2 and PS3 "aging" has nothing to do with great tech, and everything with complicated architecture and crap development tools.

braves01 said:
Can someone direct me to a video that shows off rear touch? If eliminating that can save me $50 off whatever crazy price Sony sets for this thing, I don't think I'd mind since all I've seen of the feature is from Uncharted, and the implementation there looks terrible.
Why would a simple touchpad be $50? It's made out of cubic zirconia?

Vinci

Danish
Amir0x said:

The argument is -> The PSP NGP is "more and better" but the 3DS is "new and different".
The truth is -> PSP NGP has more combined fundamental gameplay enhancement functionality than any other handheld gaming device ever made. If one is new, then so is the other. If one is not new, then neither is the other.

Agreed. FFS, I don't even care about 3D yet. And I'm not sold on the rear touch pad, per se, but at least it might have some functional use for someone like me who thinks 3D is likely to turn out completely useless beyond marketing.

PSGames

I expect them to sell this at cost for $299 wifi only and $399 with 3G and expanded storage. I don't think they expect to make money off the hardware out of the gate.

I definitely care about 3D gaming, I do think it has a place in the industry...just not on a tiny, low-res handheld screen.

3D gaming on my PC is awesome when I'm playing Starcraft 2 or L4D2 or something. I can't see myself getting wowed by anything coming out of a 3DS screen, and there were far too many concessions made to get that 3D effect. The touch screen is one of many things that will be inferior on the 3DS compared to the NGP's wide variety of gameplay-enhancing options.

theBishop

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
This has nothing to do with technology "aging". X360 has pretty simple and open architecture, and current games look way better than launch titles in 2005. It's simply a matter of getting more comfortable with the system, learning to do 2 things instead of 5 for the same effect.

PS2 and PS3 "aging" has nothing to do with great tech, and everything with complicated architecture and crap development tools.

I think it's both. And I do think 360 has had a growth problem for what its worth. The last big breakthrough in my opinion happened in late 2008. Haven't played Crysis 2 yet though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
PSGames said:
I expect them to sell this at cost for $299 wifi only and $399 with 3G and expanded storage. I don't think they expect to make money off the hardware out of the gate.
Most likely this could be it, at least the 100$ difference between skus

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think Sony's biggest problem is that they are still left pandering pretty much to the dedicated Sony fans and have little to offer the new customer. This combined with the price of $300 or above makes this really hard to sell in my opinion. They are stuck in no-man's land between Nintendo's brand name, and the Android's/iPhone's price (data plan included) and functionality.

Handhelds need to not ever cost too much more than consoles.

Imagine buying your Game Boy in 1989 for 3x the cost of your NES...shit would've been absurd. Handhelds costing as much or more than a PS3? C'mon, son.

If this thing is released and is sold for $250, it'll do ridiculously. If it comes out for $300 or more - like it's an iPod or similarly-priced "lifestyle device" - it'll have a tough road. I would imagine that the defense of certain prices will come from a new mobile world where smartphones, iPods, tablets and netbooks exist, so people will suggest that these things are where the PSP2 should be compared.

But this is a Game Boy, like every other portable game device ever is. You can't price things that children are going to be the bulk owner of like they're expensive devices. You need to price them like toys - even if they aren't really just "toys".

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:

what if both are new and betterer?

DenogginizerOS said:
I think Sony's biggest problem is that they are still left pandering pretty much to the dedicated Sony fans and have little to offer the new customer. This combined with the price of $300 or above makes this really hard to sell in my opinion. They are stuck in no-man's land between Nintendo's brand name, and the Android's/iPhone's price (data plan included) and functionality.

If by new customers you mean people who want a cheaper device - I think there is a real danger of diluting Playstation brand. Look at Apple - every Apple product, regardless of tech, always has a huge margin.

They cannot simply make a cheap product, and name it Playstation. If they want that, they will have to fund new line of products. Playstation stays cutting-edge for the time being.

captmcblack said:
Handhelds need to not ever cost too much more than consoles.

That is not true. Although a given tech may be cheap on consoles, it is now put in a portable - the miniaturization of a device will always be costly, because in practice this is way harder to do than simply making a console.

angelfly

I think we'll see three models:

$299 Base: PSP2 + 32GB onboard flash
$350 3G: PSP2 + 3G + 32GB onboard flash
$450 Premium: PSP2 + 3G + 64GB onboard flash + carry case + 2GB memory stick + hdmi cable + pack in demo (uncharted?)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
angelfly said:
I think we'll see three models:

$299 Base: PSP2 + 32GB onboard flash
$350 3G: PSP2 + 3G + 32GB onboard flash
$450 Premium: PSP2 + 3G + 64GB onboard flash + carry case + 2GB memory stick + hdmi cable + pack in demo (uncharted?)

While 32 is nice, I could see the "cheapest" model being 16 gigs so that they can push people to go for the higher models with 32 and 64 gigabyte iterations.

Forsete

Premium model for me. I buy a console/PC maybe every 3-4 years, my philosophy is to get what I will be happiest with, often that is the most advanced model.

Now if "Tre" (mobile operator) would offer a twin SIM-card 3G access would be a no-brainer.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm going to guess $399.99. Sony thought the PS3 at $599.99 was affordable
as long as you have 2 jobs

my prediction:

- base model (no 3G, 16 GB of memory): 249 dollars
-standard model (no 3G, 32 GB of memory): 299 dollars
- premium model (3G, 64 GB of memory): 399 dollars, less with contract

or

- standard model (no 3G, 16 GB of memory): 299 dollars
- premium model (3G, 32 GB of memory): 399 dollars, less with contract

Sealda

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I think Sony's biggest problem is that they are still left pandering pretty much to the dedicated Sony fans and have little to offer the new customer.

Well, the PSP have sold 62 million WW. They do not have to invent the wheel. They just want to make a damn good handheld video game console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom