• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PSP2 (NGP) will be affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Castor Krieg said:
If by new customers you mean people who want a cheaper device - I think there is a real danger of diluting Playstation brand. Look at Apple - every Apple product, regardless of tech, always has a huge margin.

Huge margin, but when it comes to arguably their flagship product line, margin doesn't translate into expensive. You can currently buy an iPod for $49. The shuffle doesn't have the vast majority of the features of the other iPod models, but they did make sure to get a cheap option out there to draw customers into the iPod ecosystem hoping to get them to eventually upgrade.

This may be what they're hoping Playstation Suite will do, but they'll have to actually push the platform pretty hard (not just release it and then leave everything up to the phone manufacturers) to use it as a lead-in. If PSP Go is PSSuite compatible they could viciously slash the price on that and use it as their low-tier in.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sealda said:
Well, the PSP have sold 62 million WW. They do not have to invent the wheel. They just want to make a damn good handheld video game console.
I agree. However, I am sure they want to grow their base, especially in North America. I think they would do well if they can match the PSP2 to a very specific, high-end gaming experience that simply cannot be obtained on any other portable device. Certainly, Apple has a product that can compete with them, but if Sony can continue to develop the PSN Store and the PS3/PSP interaction, they will be making their own version of a gaming iTunes with the PS3 playing the role of Mac or PC.

°°ToMmY°° said:
my prediction:

- base model (no 3G, 16 GB of memory): 249 dollars
-standard model (no 3G, 32 GB of memory): 299 dollars
- premium model (3G, 64 GB of memory): 399 dollars, less with contract

I can see something like this.

gkryhewy

Looks wildly optimistic to me. I can see something like that in late 2012. Now add 50-100 bucks, maybe. I really don't expect any version of this device to touch 299 at launch, however.

I would not be at all surprised if they market this against the iPad at 449-499... I think that's much more likely than 249/299, given the hardware. But it's nice for the kids to dream.

Emitan

Elios83 said:
Sounds like 299$ for the full package to me, which would be great for what if offers.
$299 would be day one for me. That's the maximum amount that I'd pay for a 3DS, and I'm just as excited for the NGP as the 3DS.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Castor Krieg said:
Tell that to people who have no idea of what "Savings" are (which includes vast majority of Western world).
You mean the same ones racking up debt spending money they don't have? It's not that hard. I shouldn't have to give anyone a budgeting lecture to you or anyone else on how to manage finances.

I'm in MI, I know how dire the economy is. If you have a job and are stable, this should be no problem. That is why some of us spend the way we do.

charlequin said:
Anyone can buy literally any object by putting down $5-10 a week for a sufficiently long time. That doesn't necessarily mean something is reasonably priced. :p
I want everything to cost 1 dollar. I know it's a pipe dream but hey :p

I get your point though.

angelfly

The Abominable Snowman said:
I prefer Sony cut costs and just have an expansion SD or Memstick slot instead of embedded flash mem. It's far easier to manage.
Onboard memory is a must have especially with PSN games getting larger.

Vinci said:
Enough SKUs. There should be no-3G and 3G. Nothing else.

Who cares as long as they offer an SKU you want? More choice is better.

The main reason I see this happening is because the base SKU will be sold at a loss, so Sony will follow the ps3 strategy of more expensive models/bundles to absorb some of the losses.

Man

They are using a proprietary removable storage solution. Mentioned in one of the interviews.
The game cartridges is also (unsurprisingly) proprietary.

Vinci

Danish
H_Prestige said:
Who cares as long as they offer an SKU you want? More choice is better.

The main reason I see this happening is because the base SKU will be sold at a loss, so Sony will follow the ps3 strategy of more expensive models/bundles to absorb some of the losses.

If they want to do well, they need to keep the damn thing simple. That's all I'm saying.

angelfly

Man said:
They are using a proprietary removable storage solution. Mentioned in one of the interviews.
The game cartridges is also (unsurprisingly) proprietary.
memory sticks are proprietary

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
New Jack Trenton quote about the price:

Edit: Expanded a bit.

Engadget said:
We weren't able to get him to budge on the issue of the NGP's price, but we did ask him to opine on the Nintendo 3DS's $250 tag. Instead of offering friendly competitive jabs, he said only, "I think if the quality's there, then the people will find a way to buy it, within reason... I think that if you could create content that consumers sees compelling, they'll find money that they didn't think they had." A bit too reminiscent of former boss Ken Kutaragi's old adages, but hey, it's not like we expected a sub-$300 sticker, anyway.

Paul: And the PSP Go, more recently... this looks really expensive. Maybe the PlayStation Suite will hopefully help you with this, in terms of an alternative.

Yeah, we were at $249... you know, I think price was a barrier to a degree, but I don't know that we really saw it as being "gating." I think we have a long history of publishing devices, quite frankly, at a loss. Reaching production efficiencies that allowed us to get more attractive prices, but I think it's always difficult at launch.

Well, the goal is that people will appreciate the quality and the technology, and it's aspirational. First you create the market where people want it, and then you try to achieve a price that's within reach... So I think we certainly got people's attention with the technology. They can see the quality, they can see the value there. It's a question of whether we can bring it in at a price that compels them to want and go out and buy it. That's the goal.

Also, reference on Kinect and how they sold a webcam for $150.

Full interview.

Boney

Banned
Billychu said:
Does "find a way to buy it" mean getting a second job?
or starve a bit yeah

i don't think it'll ne anywhere close to 599, but I can see the cheaper SKU being $350.

MechaX

Jack Trenton said:
"I think if the quality's there, then the people will find a way to buy it, within reason... I think that if you could create content that consumers sees compelling, they'll find money that they didn't think they had."

Wait, wait, wait. No jab against the competitors this time? "Think they'll find money that they didn't think they had?"

Oh yeah, $349.99 incoming.

I don't see how it could be sold for less than $400, but I'm eager for Sony to surprise me otherwise.

Have they said anything about onboard storage? 32GB is the bare minimum i would consider acceptable.

Phatcorns

If 299, day one somehow, I'll find a way. 350 no go because then I can't get a game. 400 definitely not because that's just too expensive.

Will get one regardless at some point. Just don't know where I'd find the money before a price drop.

1) Implement phone functionality.
2) Have mobile operators subsidize the 3G version with a 2-year contract, bringing the subsidized price down to $199.
3) Profit!

mooreupp

If Microsoft ever wants to launch a hand held now is the time. Both Nintendo and Sony seem to be missing pricing concerns. I'm a long time Nintendo fan, but given the economy, I'm not going to be thinking about the 3DS until it's down to at least $150. If that means I'm waiting 3-4 years, I'll wait.

Vinci

Danish
Seriously, Sony shouldn't talk about price anymore till they're ready to reveal what it really is. They sound like the same moronic idiots that dropped $599 on us years back. It's getting bad vibey in here.

Can't believe people expect this to be the same price as the 3DS. This thing makes the 3DS look like a cereal box toy. If it was even within $50, it would be pure insanity.

plainr_

Lonely1 said:
New Jack Trenton quote about the price:

Edit: Expanded a bit.

Also, reference on Kinect and how they sold a webcam for $150.

Full interview.

"I think if the quality's there, then the people will find a way to buy it, within reason..."

This doesn't sound good at all. Changing my prediction from $279 to $350.

Emitan

mooreupp said:
If Microsoft ever wants to launch a hand held now is the time. Both Nintendo and Sony seem to be missing pricing concerns. I'm a long time Nintendo fan, but given the economy, I'm not going to be thinking about the 3DS until it's down to at least $150. If that means I'm waiting 3-4 years, I'll wait.
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Microsoft. Cheaper.

Those words in that particular order do not make sense to my brain.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
jeez no come on this ain't a charity, you pay the one damn dollar
ybzqg6f

mooreupp

SuperSonic1305 said:
Can't believe people expect this to be the same price as the 3DS. This thing makes the 3DS look like a cereal box toy. If it was even within $50, it would be pure insanity.

That might be true, but then we also shouldn't expect it to sell like it. Pricing is a very big concern right now. I think both companies choose a bad time to decide to start with high prices. It's a little more understandable from Sony (who can decide to make the PSP2 for people with higher incomes) than Nintendo (who is relying on a more diverse audience and should have planned for nothing that would cost more than $150 at launch), but I hope both fall on their faces shortly after launch until prices drop.

yanhero

I haven't read the entire thread, but this opinion is written to those who believe this will cost $250:

The iPhone 4 costs $600 unsubsidized. Yes, its got a cellphone antenna, but the NGP has 4 cpu and 4 gpu cores and a 3g antenna too. The iPad costs $500. If the NGP sells for $300, that is already an amazing deal. Don't get your hopes up on $250.

I would bet on $400.

theBishop said:
If hardware engineers make everything easy to access up front, it risks topping out early.

Oh... well? This strikes me as a silly thing to care about. I mean:

spwolf said:
that makes no sense... it is better hardware is hard to work with so it takes them 4 years to fully exploit it? isnt it better to get best possible games tomorrow, and not in 4 years?

Developer-friendly hardware will just produce the same results faster. It's one thing if there's no possible way to achieve a certain level of power without baroque architecture, but in that case it's not a plus, it's a cost to achieve a specific goal -- it's always still better to just have as much power as possible available right upfront and within easy reach of developers.

theBishop said:
I think it's both.

That really makes no sense. If 360 has a "growth problem," it's that it's significantly weaker hardware than PS3. There isn't some magical "extra power" that can be unlocked on equivalent hardware just because it's more complex.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wouldn't you want everything to hit the top, like, on day 1...instead of dealing with shitty games for 4 years? I mean, I get that people like upward sloping curves, but this seems more habitual than actually beneficial.

Emitan

yanhero said:
I haven't read the entire thread, but this opinion is written to those who believe this will cost $250:

The iPhone 4 costs $600 unsubsidized. Yes, its got a cellphone antenna, but the NGP has 4 cpu and 4 gpu cores and a 3g antenna too. The iPad costs $500. If the NGP sells for $300, that is already an amazing deal. Don't get your hopes up on $250.

I would bet on $400.
iPod Touches are ~$200 and have the same hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom