• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PSP2 (NGP) will be affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risible

You want a popcorn.gif kind of day? The day Sony announces the price of this thing is going to be pure bedlam day on NeoGAF.

mclaren777

Even at $399 they would still be taking a huge loss on hardware.

I can't wait to see the iSupply breakdown of this thing when it launches.

EvilMario said:
$499.99 with a pack in, and Sony eating a huge loss for every system sold.

I definitely think the design of this system is great, but it can't be cheap..
they will not eat a loss. they've already said so (see: OP). they plan to make a profit this time around.

Vinci

Danish
Dreams-Visions said:
they will not eat a loss. they've already said so (see: OP). they plan to make a profit this time around.

And since I imagine they're not horribly suicidal, I'd wager that people are massively exaggerating how expensive this system is to build.

Mariah Carey said:
Nintendo's approach with 3DS is making more sense now. I (and a lot of people) had pegged it for a hit-it-with-a-sledgehammer attempt at finally killing the PSP1 in Japan. But now it's definitely looking like a way to undercut NGP. I'm sure Nintendo's industrial spies (for lack of a better term) let them in on NGP's direction and it looks like they acted accordingly.

Nintendo seem to have made the mistake of going with heavily customised parts though (the GPU and the screen especially), which bloats the price. At the very least, the PSP2 has parts which are now industry standard in the smart phone world, and therefore tumble in price quickly. It may seem higher spec, but I actually guess the PSP2 will be much better value.

Guevara

At $499 Sony should not even have bothered showing the system. $299 is the price that makes sense given the competition which I view as the 3DS (of course), the iPod Touch, and newer Android/iPhones.

Mariah Carey said:
Nintendo's approach with 3DS is making more sense now. I (and a lot of people) had pegged it for a hit-it-with-a-sledgehammer attempt at finally killing the PSP1 in Japan. But now it's definitely looking like a way to undercut NGP. I'm sure Nintendo's industrial spies (for lack of a better term) let them in on NGP's direction and it looks like they acted accordingly.

sorry but the 3ds is way overpriced for what it is. Nintendo is gouging the fuck out of their fanbase.

Vinci

Danish
outunderthestars said:
sorry but the 3ds is way overpriced for what it is. Nintendo is gouging the fuck out of their fanbase.

Only those who foolishly buy it without it having software they want to play. If it has software they want to play, more power to them.

Vinci said:
And since I imagine they're not horribly suicidal, I'd wager that people are massively exaggerating how expensive this system is to build.
I suspect (hope) so.

but shit...the last time they got us hyped about specs, shit was SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS.

idk what to expect this time.

Diablos

It's gonna take a lot, and I mean... a lot for me to buy this. Impressive tech and games, but I'm just not into portables. They'd have to secure something epic like a remake of FFVII or a new Chrono game to make me buy this. Seems like they are working on some features that will make it look like a worthy alternative to Android or iOS. Nintendo and Sony need to realize that's the biggest threat moving forward.

Why For?

Banned
$449 easily.

Just like my PSP, I'm going to love this thing, but seriously, it looks like it's the same situastion as the PSP all over again.

PS3 ports and a handful of 'other stuff' on a console that doesn't sell outside Japan.

Of course, the inevitable small fortune price tag will kill it before it even gets off the ground. For this thing to even have a chance it needs to be the same price as the 3DS or only a TOUCH more.

Kamille

I'm really impressed with this thing. I honestly wouldn't have thought that much power could be put into such a small device. I doubt I'll be an early adopter, but I might pick one up after either it's built up a nice library of compelling exclusive titles, there is a price drop, or the Uncharted game comes out.

I've never been much of a portable gamer, but between this and the 3DS, that might change in the near future.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Another Yoshida quote, from Kotaku.

When I asked about price, Yoshida replied, "We are not talking about price yet, but I hope that when we announce the price, people will say it makes sense."

I asked Yoshida what he thought about the 3DS's US$250 price tag, to which he replied, "The 3DS is pricier than what Nintendo typically launched their hardware for." He said he thought the 3DS was "pretty interesting", adding that it feels like a more powerful DS.

http://kotaku.com/5744896/sony-is-n...ice-or-skype-but-portable-3d-is-another-story

LJ11

Over $300 and it's DOA.

Edit: Seriously doubt they go over that mark. It'll be a disaster competing with cheaper itouches/3DS, while approaching tablet prices.

Vinci

Danish
Dreams-Visions said:
I suspect (hope) so.

but shit...the last time they got us hyped about specs, shit was SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS.

idk what to expect this time.

And they crashed and burned hard that time. There is no way they are going to do something like that ever again, unless, well... they really just want to go out of business.

Kaako said:
$999.99 ahaha wtf...
Edit: Why would they base it off that?

They pick a price that's much, much higher than any possible real price so they're safe from any sort of "you raised the price after I pre-ordered!!!" nonsense.

FoneBone

I'd say $299 for the basic version, too. So kudos to Sony, because a week ago I never would have thought that sounded plausible.

charlequin said:
They pick a price that's much, much higher than any possible real price so they're safe from any sort of "you raised the price after I pre-ordered!!!" nonsense.
Yeah, that's a standard placeholder price for newly announced hardware. Gamestop did the same thing in their system with the 3DS.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
charlequin said:
I see. Thank you for the explanation.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Vinci said:
Good man.

EDIT: Wait, no. I read that wrong. And I think you're off on this one, Soothsayer.

I know :(

Seriously, though. It's probably going to be either 299 for the cheap one and 399 for the 3G or 349 for the cheap one and 399 for the 3G. Gonna be an interesting race this time around.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
And a rather choice quote from Hirai :)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/217937/sony_games_chief_faced_big_challenges_with_psp_refresh.html

Hirai declined to talk about pricing, but said he intends to balance price with features.

Sony has faced criticism in the past from consumers who said the launch price of new gaming systems was too high. This time around, the company kept in mind the cost of the components as it developed the NGP, said Hirai.

"That's something we spent a lot of time on this time around with NGP, to make sure that we don't go off the deep end," he said.

Heh...

FoneBone

GDGF said:
I know :(

Seriously, though. It's probably going to be either 299 for the cheap one and 399 for the 3G or 349 for the cheap one and 399 for the 3G. Gonna be an interesting race this time around.
I doubt the difference between the basic and premium versions will be as little as $50.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
So we know:

1) it has awesome components
2) they won't sell it at a loss
3) it's affordable

...does not compute....

NolbertoS

429.99 is going the the expected price in Canada, I'm predicting. $299.99 is too unrealistic for US and Canadian markets. Just like the PS3 intro all over again. Take a loss in your sales to get market share and than turn the tide, but I honestly don't think this thing will make the DS lose market share. The 3D factor is > than pretty graphics PSP2 factor, based on most of the kids I see at BB asking the Retail guys about 3DS launch days. We'll see...I'll purchase at PSP2 probably 6 months after launch..but I'll still pissed at the lack of UMD Drive or even an independant UMD Drive to play games. Sony, I supported your obsolete technology and this is how you repay me??

GDGF

Soothsayer
FoneBone said:
I doubt the difference between the basic and premium versions will be as little as $50.

You think 299 basic/399 premium? Would 3G really be a 100 dollar difference maker?

Jin34

charlequin said:
Reads like more evidence for the pile of "priced neither surprisingly high nor low," which certainly points at $299 to me.

$299 sounds surprisingly low to me. $349 is what I'm expecting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LiquidMetal14 said:
lmao in terms of price or features? Because they threw in everything I could have hoped for on this one.

From a cost POV, not sinking billions of dollars into chip R&D is probably considerable progress as far as Hirai is concerned... Kutaragi might be sad about that, but as the first non-Kutaragi machine, in terms of just results on screen, I think they've done a pretty bang-up job living up to their history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom