• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey patch adds major stuttering to PS4 version, "worst ever" frame pacing

angelic

Banned
This reminds me of Bioshock 2 on 360...endless promises of bug fixes, a wide FOV option, and to reinstate the broken sounds. I think they did 1 patch and then went radio silent. People think gamers forget, but we dont..we remember this shit for years.

I love Arkane, but if this isn't fixed on PS4, I think I'm done buying their games. Completely ridiculous this is still an issue. I'd like to actually play the copy I bought.

I'm in the exact same boat man :(

Worse case, I'll just sell off my PS4 copy, put it towards XB1 version and wait to play it on an Xbox One X later this year
I'm sure that system will at least brute force the performance dips

I really want to buy this but no chance until I get 100% confirmation that the framepacing is fixed. Only thing putting me off buying, what otherwise looks like my type of game.

I must have hit the sweet spot. I played it without any major problems, except for nearly broken quests that I almost thought would be impossible to complete. One of the quests only fixed/completed itself on a restore from an autosave. Nothing I could do would actually make it complete and if I left the area it'd fail.

I love Arkane, but if this isn't fixed on PS4, I think I'm done buying their games. Completely ridiculous this is still an issue. I'd like to actually play the copy I bought.
Yeah, I'm pretty done with Bethesda at the moment. They don't seem to give a shit about optimization and Fallout 4 was huge fucking disappointment that I can't even looked at it in those big dumb eyes.

I must have hit the sweet spot. I played it without any major problems, except for nearly broken quests that I almost thought would be impossible to complete. One of the quests only fixed/completed itself on a restore from an autosave. Nothing I could do would actually make it complete and if I left the area it'd fail.

Yeah some people don't have any major problems others do. Then there is also peoples tolerance for said issues. It'd suck to be that sensitive and not be able to enjoy some games because of technical issues. That said if people have an X1 or preferably PC, you should get it there it's an awesome game.

reson8or

So glad I finished the game before they introduced these issues. Bethesda's track record with PS versions is not so hot, but eventually they make it work. I just wish their communication would be better.

Prey is fantastic and anyone who purchased their game deserves better.

Shock32

This. Every time I see it bumped I wonder "can I buy the fucking thing already, Arkane?"

I really want to but it from best buy today at 50% off. But after Google searching there seems to no mention of a pro patch to fix the game. I'm really disappointed because it looks like Bioshock meets Soma. 😞

psychotron

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up with this bump, but I think it might be time to throw in the towel. The Prey sub-Reddit is full of people that have lost all patience waiting for this patch, but all are being ignored. Jess from Bethesda stopped answering as well. After over a month since the last patch, Arkane may have completely abandoned the game. A damn shame really.

Hearing about this on the Bombcast today made me consider buying it, but this thread bump enlightened me a bit. So I appreciate it, at least.

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up with this bump, but I think it might be time to throw in the towel. The Prey sub-Reddit is full of people that have lost all patience waiting for this patch, but all are being ignored. Jess from Bethesda stopped answering as well. After over a month since the last patch, Arkane may have completely abandoned the game. A damn shame really.

FUCKING HELL :(

This game is a mess. By the time it's fixed it'll be $10, so that's a plus!
Got mine for 20€ on prime-day on amazon. Last weekend I saw a bundle at a local electronic store: "Get Prey free on top for every PlayStation 4 OR Dualshock 4 you buy". The game is like 2 months old oO

And this is why I won't support Arkane Studios anymore. Truly an inadequate studio when it comes to console optimisation.

Gestault

I'm wondering if this was one of those situations where they tried to "sneak" in one last patch before their production window closed as sort of a cool little nod to the fans, but it went bad, and then they didn't have the time to fix it.

I feel like I've encountered more titles with odd frame-pacing issues on PS4 since the Pro launch (meaning confirmed/recognized cases). Is that just confirmation bias because I've been looking more since early reports, or may there be some new quirk to work around with the firmware?

etta

my hard graphic balls
They don't exactly have the best track record on pc either. Dishonored 2 is still in pretty bad shape.
Dishonored 2 ran fine on consoles aside from the massive input lag, but it was bad on PC all together. Prey runs fine on PC and Xbox.

Shame, they make some of the best games.
You can’t play them anywhere else?

Nope, I don't do games on PC. That said, I finished the game before the Pro patch ruined everything.

PS4 Pro, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch are more than enough to keep me busy.

Gator86

Woof. Glad I played this before the patch hit. It's a shame as Prey is still #3 on my Goty list. Arkane really seems like they're one of those good studios who just can't get their tech side together, like From.

Good to know; thanks. I will never buy this game even when it gets really cheap.

rafaelr

damn, i´ve had this on my download list for about 2 months now, trying to be patient and wait for the fix that doesn´t seem to be coming after all.

guess i´ll just give in and play the screwed patched version.

Unlikely.... They've repeatedly said they are working on a patch. The best Jess can do is repeat what everyone knows. Besides Arkane is still rolling out patches for PC, and that came out almost a year ago.

Piggus

If you haven't tried the PC version, you're missing out. It doesn't happen often these days, but this is a game where the PC version is significantly better beyond just visuals. The framerate and level of control you have makes a massive difference.

I'm officially done with waiting around for this game, what a disappointment.

If I ever end up investing in a decent PC in the future, I'll pick up that version in some deep discount sale no doubt, but they can suck it with this bullshit PS4 version. Thanks guys.

RuhRo

Great news! I feel comfortable buying this on PS4 Pro now. Ridiculous that it took three months.

I assume when DF says "all issues" are resolved, that includes the FOV bug?

black070

I'd like to think the devs stumbled onto this thread and realised they hadn't pushed the submit button for their last patch. :p

It makes me feel kinda sad when a game takes a long time to get fixed and heaps of people play it with a sub-optimal experience.

timberger

That's good to hear, I hadn't gotten around to this one yet and it's pretty cheap at this point so things worked out nicely for me :)

Poor etta gonna need to get a new sales pitch now tho :(

Gurish

3 months to solve?

TW3's frame rate also took months to fix, why can't devs ship a completely polished game like GG with Hoizon for example?

Open world, setting new benchmarks in visuals, and still polished to perfection, there are no excuses.

3 months to solve?

TW3's frame rate also took months to fix, why can't devs ship a completely polished game like GG with Hoizon for example?

Open world, setting new benchmarks in visuals, and still polished to perfection, there are no excuses.
Prey didn't have framerate issues at launch. It had input latency issues, which is an established problem for CryEngine titles on PS4. Their fix for input latency in the 1.02 patch caused stuttering, but massively reduced latency. Some time has gone by, and how they've pushed a new patch that fixes the stuttering and finds a middle ground on input latency.

Gurish

Horizon says hi.

Yea this is nonesense, devs are shipping incomplete games because they are rushing it (maybe publishers aren't giving them enough dev time), blaming this on power is ridiculous, especially since they do manage to fix it in most cases after several patches so what does power got to do with it? :|

Top Bottom