• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ian McKellen Says It’s ‘Un-American’ for Trump Not to Protect Gay Rights

Link.

He also talked about LGBT superheroes in movies or rather the lack of them:
The actor known for playing Magneto in the “X-Men” franchise spoke about the lack of gay characters in major Hollywood tentpoles. “I wouldn’t say the films coming out of the mainstream are quite as related to what’s going on in the real world as I would like them to be,” McKellen told Variety. “One indication of that is LGBT people don’t really get quite a big enough say. If you’re one of those initials yourself, you do notice that actually these movies are not about me at all.”

Hollywood has yet to greenlight a comic-book movie anchored by a gay superhero. “Frankly looking at the images of some of these superheroes it’s a surprise to me they aren’t gay,” joked McKellen.

He expressed disappointment that his costume for Magneto isn’t quite as flamboyant as it was in the comics. “I wasn’t allowed to wear that outfit,” McKellen said. “I don’t look like Magneto in the comics — always shot from the crotch level.”

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hollywood has yet to greenlight a comic-book movie anchored by a gay superhero. “Frankly looking at the images of some of these superheroes it’s a surprise to me they aren’t gay,” joked McKellen.

Spot on

The Kree

Banned
Ian McKellen doesn't understand metaphors? C'mon, man.

Ice Man's mom explicitly says to him "Have you tried not being a mutant?"

LiK

ojmlkkodq4zy.jpg

He's with the enemy.

This. Bryan Singer took the racial metaphors origin of the Mutants and reimagined them as gay metaphors in a timely and relevant fashion.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Hollywood has yet to greenlight a comic-book movie anchored by a gay superhero. ”Frankly looking at the images of some of these superheroes it's a surprise to me they aren't gay," joked McKellen.

In all fairness, this is hardly Hollywood's fault. Not that many prominent gay superheroes for them to work with, especially marketable ones.

Tagyhag

I don't know that sounds pretty American to me.

In all fairness, this is hardly Hollywood's fault. Not that many prominent gay comic book characters for them to work with, especially marketable ones.

I'm ignorant when it comes to this, are there any gay comic book superheroes that would make for good film material?

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm ignorant when it comes to this, are there any gay comic book superheroes that would make for good film material?

This is what I'm saying. Outside of characters who are quietly hinted to be bisexual like the Gotham City Sirens, I'm drawing a blank for prominent superheroes who are established and popular in their own right who Hollywood could make a film about.

The Kree

Banned
I don't know that sounds pretty American to me.

Not really. America Chavez is getting a push currently, but she's not that well developed yet.

jwk94

Wait, isn't Miles Morales gay? And would an ensemble cast with a gay member count as "anchored"? Because if so, then
Power Rangers
has one.

How long did it take trump supporters to point out he's british and then beging going on about wars? less than a second?

Spot on by Sir Ian as usual

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This. Bryan Singer took the racial metaphors origin of the Mutants and reimagined them as gay metaphors in a timely and relevant fashion.

The metaphors are nice, but the X-Men message is always more of a catch-all "if you're hated or alienated, there are other people out there like you". There are nods, but in the end it's like he says, it's not really related to real world experiences. And those characters in the movies are still all heterosexual too.

The experience of being persecuted for being LGBT is so extremely different than being persecuted for having superpowers that there's only so far you can take it as far as relatability goes. It's important to have gay, black and other minority mutants even if the overall message of the franchise supposedly already covers all of that at once.

I get the feeling it's gonna be a long-ass time before we get a trans superhero movie on the scale of a Marvel or DC blockbuster.

Pau

Not sure there's anything about Batwoman that would make an inherently interesting film, honestly.

Then again, I feel the same way about Batgirl, so...
I think Elegy could be adapted into a good film (particularly if they are half as creative/unique with the visual aspects as JHWIII). But if you think the character or story isn't interesting from the get go, I doubt I could convince you otherwise. :p

Glass Rebel

He expressed disappointment that his costume for Magneto isn’t quite as flamboyant as it was in the comics. “I wasn’t allowed to wear that outfit,” McKellen said. “I don’t look like Magneto in the comics — always shot from the crotch level.”

it's official: people against costumes in x-men movies can go fuck themselves

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think Elegy could be adapted into a good film (particularly if they are half as creative/unique with the visual aspects as JHWIII). But if you think the character or story isn't interesting from the get go, I doubt I could convince you otherwise. :p

Honestly, I haven't even read Elegy! I've definitely been meaning to read more Batwoman, on account of the fact she's one of the very few Batman characters that never really clicked for me...so maybe if I immerse myself in more of her top-tier stories, I'll end up coming around!

Servbot24

Banned
Easy solution to there being minimal gay heroes in comics.

Make one gay.

Doesn't making someone gay send the wrong message (if you are referring to an existing character)? You don't want to give people the idea that you could also make someone straight. (You could definitely get away with making someone bi though)

I'm all for writing existing characters whose sexuality has not yet been disclosed as gay, or making new characters (making new characters requires pushing them in the market as well though, do it you have to mean it).

Shaanyboi

Banned
Honestly, I haven't even read Elegy! I've definitely been meaning to read more Batwoman, on account of the fact she's one of the very few Batman characters that never really clicked for me...so maybe if I immerse myself in more of her top-tier stories, I'll end up coming around!

The early Rucka run was just collected.

Doesn't making someone gay send the wrong message? You don't want to give people the idea that you could also make someone straight. (You could definitely get away with making someone bi though)

I'm all for writing existing characters whose sexuality has not yet been disclosed as gay, or making new characters (making new characters requires pushing them in the market as well though, do it you have to mean it).

It's exactly the same as writing movie Hawkeye to be a family man. There's no reason you can't just have a character come out, most of these people are functionally asexual anyway beyond the tippity top of the A-list.

Ice Man was straight for 50 years till he wasn't anymore.

Servbot24

Banned
This has to be the most nonsensical thinking...

I don't read comics so I may be missing the context, makes sense to me though. If you have a straight character and they suddenly start being gay, it makes it seem like sexuality is a choice.

EDIT: I kinda forgot that timelines get restarted sometimes, it would work there.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't read comics so I may be missing the context, makes sense to me though. If you have a straight character and they suddenly start being gay, it makes it seem like sexuality is a choice.

EDIT: I kinda forgot that timelines get restarted sometimes, it would work there.

And some people don't really come to terms with their sexuality until adulthood. What's the difference?

Beth Cyra

Batwoman is needed
They won't even let the best Lesbian in comics into fucking Injustice or Arkham games outside a voice line, she isn't ever getting a big budget movie.

Though she fucking should given Batwoman is amazing both as women empowerment character and as a gay icon.

Top Bottom