• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita firmware update locks memory cards

DMB4237

Neo Member
No matter how much I like [the one game on the Vita], I just cannot get this device. There's too many hurdles for me to jump with a hefty price tag. I'll just get something simple like the iPad

/mostly everybody

OR

What's a Vita?

/everybody else

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
The fact that you can't back up the now-inaccessible files is what makes this inexcusable as opposed to just another shitty anti-consumer move.

I hope they at least fix Content Manager, but I wouldn't be surprised if the affected users are just boned unless they can borrow a pre-1.8 Vita. Ugh.

al-pacino-scarface-up1215.jpg

Haha, Sam Bishop is on another site saying that this is no big deal and GAF is "retarded" for being upset. Someone's still bitter.

ieNnukfd5VnXo.gif

Out of left-field. Further alienating (potential) customers. Why?

To a degree yes. But they're already alienating potential customers with pricing and the stupid requirement that you need a memory card simply to play a game, and then not including even a small one. What this move does is alienate those of us that are already Vita owners. It's almost as if Sony wants to fail at everything they do now. I don't get it.

People are still defending Sony on the handheld front? Even with locking memory cards for no reason? What would it take?

If they did this for hacking prevention, that's fucking dumb. I would argue that they should embrace CFW at this point.
Anyone talking about CFW right now have really no clue on what they are talking about

SmokyDave

Do people honestly think that this is the straw that's gonna break the camels back?

I can't imagine the casual handheld buyer standing in front of a Vita and saying "well, yeah, I'd love one but then I heard you can only have 1 PSN account per memory card!". Nobody gives enough of a shit about the Vita to care about this outside of message boards.

Shambles

lol consoles. The more they do this the more they are pushing people away. These decisions have real impacts on their quarterly reports.

Do people honestly think that this is the straw that's gonna break the camels back?

I can't imagine the casual handheld buyer standing in front of a Vita and saying "well, yeah, I'd love one but then I heard you can only have 1 PSN account per memory card!". Nobody gives enough of a shit about the Vita to care about this outside of message boards.

Specific events don't change consumers mind. They're mind are changed when they think of a product and the first thing they feel are negative feelings. It's not an attitude of "I've had enough!". It's a more passive "Screw that, i'll get something else"

No, but it could be the straw that pushes away more hardcore gamers from picking up the console, and at this point Sony could use as many sales as it can get casual or hardcore.

Casuals don't want a Vita. Probably never will. All this does is piss off those "hardcore" among us that do want one, or already own one. Basically Sony just said, "Hey thanks for supporting us when no one else appears to want to, now stand still while we kick you in the nuts."

SmokyDave

Specific events don't change consumers mind. They're mind are changed when they think of a product and the first thing they feel are negative feelings. It's not an attitude of "I've had enough!". It's a more passive "Screw that, i'll get something else"
And I'd suggest the Vita was well into that territory before they started enforcing these rules. Rules which most 'consumers' will neither know nor care about.

No, but it could be the straw that pushes away more hardcore gamers from picking up the console, and at this point Sony could use as many sales as it can get casual or hardcore.
I guess the way I see it, the hardcore already own one. The 'slightly-less-hardcore-but-still-hardcore' will buy 2 memory cards and everyone else will be utterly unaffected since they only have 1 PSN account anyway.

I really can't see the issue here. If it was one account per system, no swapping ever, I'd get it. As it is, it's a minor inconvenience affecting very very few people.

Casuals don't want a Vita. Probably never will. All this does is piss off those "hardcore" among us that do want one, or already own one. Basically Sony just said, "Hey thanks for supporting us when no one else appears to want to, now stand still while we kick you in the nuts."
And yet, as an early adopter of the Vita, my nuts remain unkicked.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

More than anything else, ever since Sony became internet enemy #1 somehow, I feel the lesson they're going to come out of this gen with is "we were too generous" with things like OtherOS, region free, game sharing, etc, because of that horrible little contingent of gamers that find a way to fuck it all for the rest of us.

The nuclear hot shitstorms that emerge whenever Sony does stuff like this though is due to the taking of something good away. You just dont see this fire thrown at Microsoft or Nintendo for continuing their own anti-consumer bullshit.

No, the lesson will be "do not give them anything at all from the start", and I guess as a business that makes sense.

Sad that we lose out on cool things as a result though, and people lose save files and the like.

EGM1966

Every time I get tempted to get a Vita another obstacle appears. I'm going to have to just borrow one and play Golden Abyss and be done with it.

Kusagari

So the only people who own the Vita are the ones who care?
:p

Aeana

I really can't see the issue here. If it was one account per system, no swapping ever, I'd get it. As it is, it's a minor inconvenience affecting very very few people.
So I guess that means it doesn't matter at all. Nevermind the fact that there was no reason for them to actually make this change to begin with, and forget those "very very few people" who actually lost their data. We should just roll over and take it.

Shahed

I don't think it'll affect the majority of people who would look to buy a Vita in the future.

What it does do is piss of your existing user base. The people who can promote the system and games via word of mouth. These are the only people they have at the moment, and alienating for no real benefit is just stupid

Because of this, I'm not gonna go buy a new memory card. All just end up buying less from PSN Store

DR2K

Banned

No I'm sure the PS3 owners that have multiple accounts will just be happy to buy a Vita per account. A buyer is going to research something before they buy it, and it's stuff like this that can end a sale.

zroid

Banned
LMAO, thank christ I was too lazy to download anything from my JP account, I would definitely have gotten screwed by this.

SmokyDave

So I guess that means it doesn't matter at all. Nevermind the fact that there was no reason for them to actually make this change to begin with, and forget those "very very few people" who actually lost their data. We should just roll over and take it.

It was a workaround from the start, the Vita doesn't support multiple accounts on the same card. It's always been that way IIRC. I knew this before I bought mine and I bought mine on day 1.

No I'm sure the PS3 owners that have multiple accounts will just be happy to buy a Vita per account. A buyer is going to research something before they buy it, and it's stuff like this that can end a sale.
If they research they'll know it's one account per memory card and not one account per Vita.

I've never had more than a single PSN account, for this very reason. Having multiple accounts, with purchases spread across said accounts, etc. It's just playing with fire. Eventually you were going to get burned.

Nevermind the fact that on future systems you'd likely have trouble ever transferring all that content over.

Aeana

It was a workaround from the start, the Vita doesn't support multiple accounts on the same card. It's always been that way IIRC. I knew this before I bought mine and I bought mine on day 1.
It was not a workaround. Read back a page or two and see what Sony's official policy was. They don't support using a card on multiple Vitas, never said ANYTHING AT ALL about multiple accounts with the same card. And it worked simply by saying "no" to a prompt. Not a workaround. It was definitely something that was working as intended, especially since the Vita OS would say you couldn't load stuff from the other card because it was associated with another account. The Vita OS knew about it, even!

Javier

I can't imagine the casual handheld buyer buying a Vita at all. That person will stick to the 3DS.

Shahed

I've never had more than a single PSN account, for this very reason. Having multiple accounts, with purchases spread across said accounts, etc. It's just playing with fire. Eventually you were going to get burned.

Nevermind the fact that on future systems you'd likely have trouble ever transferring all that content over.

It's not as if I have a US Account because I want one. If I could've bought Chrono Cross and Xenogears on my UK account, I would have never created a second account.

The region lock. Apparently thats not enough to be "done with Nintendo".

Region lock is arguably the main reason I don't have a 3DS now. I'm not gonna reward Nintendo's shitty practices by buying multiple 3DS's.

Just because Sony may be better than Nintendo in that regard, it's still doesn't mean it's right. Being better than shite doesn't excuse your own inadequacies

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

Agreed, it's annoying for those that use multi accs on one card but your all playing with loop holes, you must expect that at any time one of those loop holes can be closed, it's not really a sanctioned feature.

zroid

Banned

It's only playing with fire because Sony is constantly hosing us down with lighter fluid.

SmokyDave

It was not a workaround. Read back a page or two and see what Sony's official policy was. They don't support using a card on multiple Vitas, never said ANYTHING AT ALL about multiple accounts with the same card. And it worked simply by saying "no" to a prompt. Not a workaround. It was definitely something that was working as intended, especially since the Vita OS would say you couldn't load stuff from the other card because it was associated with another account. The Vita OS knew about it, even!

Strange, I definitely knew it was one account per card when I bought my Vita. I honestly couldn't tell you where I read it or whether I misunderstood something but this definitely hasn't come as a surprise to me.

I can't imagine the casual handheld buyer buying a Vita at all. That person will stick to the 3DS.
Precisely. They sure as fuck won't care about this, either way.

I'm surprised by how locked down the Vita is compared to how open the PS3 was/is.
I'm not. The open standards of the PS3 did fuck all to help sell PS3's and then ended up going against them.

pompidu

Yup, people didn't heed the warnings and got screwed. Only thing you can blame is SCEA not telling people about it before they update the firmware.

Plenty of Vita games and ps1 games as long as you have a PS3. You can get the Madden Bundle at Best Buy that comes with a $50 giftcard, get a better memory card with that money then a 4gb. No excuses now!
Shouldn't have to have a ps3 to get content for vita. Sony really needs to step up their game so I can buy this Damn thing.

It was a work around.
The fact that you had to reset the vita proves that using the card that way wasnt their intended purpose.
They always said one account per card and as many card as you want with a reset in between

What is wrong with all of you, it was never meant to be a muti accounts machine, just like every other portable device out there.

For the 99% of users, this is not a problem at all.

I'm surprised by how locked down the Vita is compared to how open the PS3 was/is.

Really? As of now you can download an official SDK and run unsigned code on your own vita, even emulators if you take the trouble to write them. You can't get much more open than that.

Aeana

What is wrong with all of you, it was never meant to be a muti accounts machine, just like every other portable device out there.

Cool. And for the 1% of users for whom it is an issue, who lost data without warning? Fuck them, right?

This change doesn't benefit anybody. You're not getting some cool new functionality at the expense of 1% of users. Nothing changed for anybody but the 1%. But fuck them anyway. Because Sony said so?

Tain

why on earth should we even begin to give a shit about "99% of users"

Hanmik

Strange, I definitely knew it was one account per card when I bought my Vita. I honestly couldn't tell you where I read it or whether I misunderstood something but this definitely hasn't come as a surprise to me.

you remember correctly...

first wired.com posted this story..

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/vita-accounts/

“Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita,” MacKenzie said. “So if you wanted to change different PSN users but use the same memory card, you would need to go factory reset.”

Customers will be able to swap cards to use different PSN IDs on the same system, MacKenzie said. If you have more than one memory card, you can register a different PlayStation Network account on each.

“You can also use them both on the same PSN account as well,” she said.

but later that week they retracted the story..

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/sony-vita-psn/

“[The] PSN account is tied to the hardware and the memory card, not just the card,” a different Sony representative said in an e-mail, “which means that if a second person is using your Vita, it’s not just a case of switching out memory cards, it’s clearing out all of your saved data on the Vita itself when you do the factory reset.”

“In other words, PlayStation Vita is intended to be played by only one user,” the representative said.

I'm not. The open standards of the PS3 did fuck all to help sell PS3's and then ended up going against them.

I think the open standards like the HDD and region free games are the best part of the PS3. The problem it had selling is unrelated to these things IMO. Things like Blu-ray jacking up the price, bad ports, and slow to get moving online is what hurt the system at first. But I've never heard anyone speak ill of the openness of the system.

7threst

Even if it just affects 1%, it's still a move that poses a problem for people, no matter how small the group. Also, locking accounts seems a bit unnecessary. How is this a benefit to Sony? In other words, the only thing happening here is that people lose saves and cannot access their content anymore without either formatting or buying more memorycards for every account (which does benefit Sony, but it's not something to applaud them for I think...).

Top Bottom