• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

MS pretty much has an open license for both UE4 and Unity. When ReCore was starting, UE4 wasn't that mature and could have been considered a risk. ReCore budget wasn't Halo size, but it also wasn't a 'budget' title either. All in, it wouldn't shock me if ReCore was $10m development only.

Don't forget that ReCore had four teams working on it, Armature Studio, Comcept, Asobo Studio and internal MS staff.

Say the game took 2 1/2 years with 30 people. That is $10m right there.

Armature itself was 50 people.

element

Armature itself was 50 people.
You can always get a rough idea of a games budget by a studios man month cost.

How much does it cost to have an employee work per month? This includes their salary, benefits such as insurance, operational costs such as power, rent, computers and overhead for non-budget employees such as HR and administration.

If you were to ask most US based studios, their man month cost is between $12,000 and $14,000 a month, depending on where they are located. Someplace like SF is going to be much higher than say Bend, Oregon.

Simple math. 30 employees x 24 months x $12,000 man month = $8.6m

Indie studio can greatly reduce that number, as they mostly deal with contractors, work remote or use profit share/points as compensation.

Any work for hire studio with an office knows exactly what their man month cost is.

Ign's McCaffeys ideas aren't completely terrible. I really want a spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden. There hasn't been an action game to rival Ninja Gaiden Black yet. I would love for Phil to give our guy Itagaki another shot at the master piece, but realistically that's s hefty risk from a developer who hasn't had a commercially successful game in years.

Regarding ShadowRun, the idea of it was awesome. A game set in a futuristic world with fairy tail creatures. It should of been an RPG first and foremost, not a shooter. It would be great if they brought it back and had it be a hybrid rpg/shooter like Dues Ex.

And then there's our favorite shooter Halo. With as big and creative as 343 is, I don't understand why they haven't branched the game out into other genres.

Can you imagine a 3rd person action game set in the Halo universe with us playing a highly trained ODST whose on a special mission. Or even an action RPG set in the Halo universe with using playing an Elite. So many possibilities. Hopefully after the conclusion of the Chief's story, they can do something completely different.

The one thing they currently lack in comparison to Sony is a big budget story game. I get the whole games as services thing, but I would love for them to give us a single player game with a thoughtful, powerful and engaging story.

Im pretty sure Phil and co have deals in place for next year and the year after, it just sucks to be waiting in the wings wishing and hoping for some new IPs and games.

Vinc

MS pretty much has an open license for both UE4 and Unity. When ReCore was starting, UE4 wasn't that mature and could have been considered a risk. ReCore budget wasn't Halo size, but it also wasn't a 'budget' title either. All in, it wouldn't shock me if ReCore was $10m development only.

Don't forget that ReCore had four teams working on it, Armature Studio, Comcept, Asobo Studio and internal MS staff.

Say the game took 2 1/2 years with 30 people. That is $10m right there.

10 mil? That is a budget ass budget title for a retail game these days.

Jetboxx

Ign's McCaffeys ideas aren't completely terrible. I really want a spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden. There hasn't been an action game to rival Ninja Gaiden Black yet. I would love for Phil to give our guy Itagaki another shot at the master piece, but realistically that's s hefty risk from a developer who hasn't had a commercially successful game in years.
I'm sure our guy Itagaki will do it right.

Zukkoyaki

I've already spoken on Ryan's article and while there's nothing wrong with it, some cool ideas in fact, it does seem to miss the point a bit.

None of that really "fixes" the situation with Microsoft Studios. The problems there go beyond needing a few more cool deals with third party devs. Fact is their first party studios are simply too few in number and too predictable to generate significant excitement for most of the gaming enthusiast crowd. To remedy that they would need to purchase or establish new studios or expand the current ones to handle additional projects.

But, that doesn't seem to be in the cards so cool deals are the likeliest solution thay we could actually see. As a few others have said, signing up a bunch of Ori and Recore sized projects feels like a reasonable route.

That said, hitting up Itagaki and Valhalla for a project is an idea I can get behind.

element

10 mil? That is a budget ass budget title for a retail game these days.
When I hear budget title, there are still games out there made for $5m, but that is becoming more and more rare.

Game budgets are actually a huge issue in the industry now with things like Kickstarter because people think you can make a $60 quality game for $500k or $1m.

hybrid rpg/shooter like Dues Ex.
So like the game that was half off a week after it was out and $15 within a month of being released?

To remedy that they would need to purchase or establish new studios or expand the current ones to handle additional projects.
Who could they acquire?

Acquisition really isn't a good option anymore. Just costs too much up front and operational cost moving forward. Better to find talented work for hire studios to contain cost and be able to cut bait without having to do layoffs.

Ryan's article is bad by the simple virtue of the fact that wish-list is not how problems are fixed. It's how problems are hidden. And the way to achieve his wishlist can be boiled down to "pls give Xbox more budget on first-party games that are likely to be commercial disappointments & failures."

The fact that one of the checklist ask Xbox to look into fully funding a TIMED exclusive of Splinter Cell. I can only dare to dread the ROI on a project like that.

Salty Hippo

I've posted these ideas before but here is what I think is a better version of McCaffrey's list:

1. Acquire IO, staff them enough to have 2 teams, one working on Hitman and another working on a brand new GaaS IP.

2. Acquire Playground, have the racing team alternating between Horizon and another MS racing IP (2-year dev cycles) like PGR, Midtown Madness, or a kart racer. Have their recent new team working on whatever they're already working on.

3. Build a small team of around 40 people at Rare focused solely on concise, smartly budgeted projects, mainly nostalgia ones, one at a time. Keep the rest of the studio working on SoT or whatever new thing that comes after that.

4. Find a way to make a proper Fable that doesn't sound as stupid as putting Rare on it. You can fund Obsidian to make Fable IV. MAYBE you can even acquire them to be the Fable/WRPG studio. Or you can build a new studio from the ground up for it. Whatever is best for the long term well being of this franchise.

5. Turn 343i and The Coalition into 2-game studios. Even if that's all they're supposed to work for the rest of their life. There's a number of ways to do this. You could add a second team to each and have each of those 4 teams do their own thing, or have the current teams alternating between Halo/Gears and something else. That something else could be either new IP, existing IP (Perfect Dark and ReCore for instance) or a combination of both. Choose whatever makes the most financial sense, as long as it expands your portfolio from these studios twofold. Also rename them if you want.

6. Keep funding small teams to work on your smaller IPs that have potential, such as KI, Ori and throw in the mix Crimson Skies and MechAssault revivals for good measure.

7. Yes, bring back XBLA because why not?

None of these will ever happen.

I've posted these ideas before but here is what I think is a better version of McCaffrey's list:

1. Acquire IO, staff them enough to have 2 teams, one working on Hitman and another working on a brand new GaaS IP.

2. Acquire Playground, have the racing team alternating between Horizon and another MS racing IP (2-year dev cycles) like PGR, Midtown Madness, or a kart racer. Have their recent new team working on whatever they're already working on.

3. Build a small team of around 40 people at Rare focused solely on concise, smartly budgeted projects, mainly nostalgia ones, one at a time. Keep the rest of the studio working on SoT or whatever new thing that comes after that.

4. Find a way to make a proper Fable that doesn't sound as stupid as putting Rare on it. You can fund Obsidian to make Fable IV. MAYBE you can even acquire them to be the Fable/WRPG studio. Or you can build a new studio from the ground up for it. Whatever is best for the long term well being of this franchise.

5. Turn 343i and The Coalition into 2-game studios. Even if that's all they're supposed to work for the rest of their life. There's a number of ways to do this. You could add a second team to each and have each of those 4 teams do their own thing, or have the current teams alternating between Halo/Gears and something else. That something else could be either new IP, existing IP (Perfect Dark and ReCore for instance) or a combination of both. Choose whatever makes the most financial sense, as long as it expands your portfolio from these studios twofold. Also rename them if you want.

6. Keep funding small teams to work on your smaller IPs that have potential, such as KI, Ori and throw in the mix Crimson Skies and MechAssault revivals for good measure.

Yeah, honestly this does sound better than Ryan's list.

Lom1lo

Yep thats a good list and relative easy to do (3 and 5), this would do so much for the brand and fix all my problems with the current state of xbox.
I would split halo/gears team in one big team and one smaller team. The big team alternating between halo/gears and new ips. The small team supports the existing entry of halo/gears with new content that it doesnt get old while the big team is on a new IP.

I know they wouldn't make much money, but they really should start trying to "pick up" more smaller games like in the XBLA days. There was so many gems that were "exclusive" based on that. Games like Pit People, Cuphead, Ashen, etc would do wonders for their published lineup. And it's not like there are indies who aren't looking for publishers. Just look at all the games that Curve, Devolver, Adult Swim, Team17, and other middle of the line publishers pick up...why can't MS make a small studio of 30 or so people and give them a budget to sign some smaller games?

They do it with their Chinese studio E-Home Entertainment, so they should try and do it here as well. It would help fund games that might need funding and help securing them for their platform and giving a better perception of "exclusives"

wapplew

They didnt announce anything at e3, why should they do this at gamescom ? The only thing that makes sense at gc is age of empires and this wouldnt come to xbox one

Because they delayed Crackdown 3, they must have something up their sleeves.

Because they delayed Crackdown 3, they must have something up their sleeves.

I mean, the fact that they delayed Crackdown 3 definitely does not mean they have something significant up their sleeves.

I hope they do, but I doubt it. Anything major would have been at E3. I expect some minor things tomorrow. And a PUBG release date for this year...THAT will be their answer to the Crackdown 3 delay.

blakep267

I mean, the fact that they delayed Crackdown 3 definitely does not mean they have something significant up their sleeves.

I hope they do, but I doubt it. Anything major would have been at E3. I expect some minor things tomorrow. And a PUBG release date for this year...THAT will be their answer to the Crackdown 3 delay.
While o don't expect them to announce anything, the last gamescom they had a smaller game in halo wars 2. So while unlikely, I wouldn't say impossible. Maybe the long mentioned studio gobo game would be announced /s

Yeah but those remasters hurt, I rather have nothing lol
I mean, this thread isn't for my or your personal preferences really, they are still games published by Microsoft Studios :p. I understand why they are bringing them, since the new Minecraft console will likely brining in a lot of families, you need some more games that appease that demographic

Also need to add PUBG now

peppers

I've checked some footage of Kinect Rush and I gotta admit that the Incredibles and the Cars games look pretty decent. Although since it's Kinect based they look unpleasant to play. I wish there was a controller option for these remasters, and if they are intended for the holidays, the Minecraft bundle doesn't include a Kinect afaik, so...

I've checked some footage of Kinect Rush and I gotta admit that the Incredibles and the Cars games look pretty decent. Although since it's Kinect based they look unpleasant to play. I wish there was a controller option for these remasters, and if they are intended for the holidays, the Minecraft bundle doesn't include a Kinect afaik, so...
There is! During stream they said all support Kinect but are full playable with controllers

That's why these remastered are pretty cool, gives people a chance to play them that never did because of Kinect

peppers

There is! During stream they said all support Kinect but are full playable with controllers
Wow whaaat

Thanks!!! I'm actually a big fan of the Incredibles tbh. If these games launch on game pass directly (plus the retail release obviously) this could take off quite nicely for them I reckon.

I mean, this thread isn't for my or your personal preferences really, they are still games published by Microsoft Studios :p. I understand why they are bringing them, since the new Minecraft console will likely brining in a lot of families, you need some more games that appease that demographic

Also need to add PUBG now

Did we find out what new zoo tycoon content there is?

Shiggy

Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection
Disneyland Adventures
Pixar Rush

-> all three were ported by Asobo Studio (Young Conker, Pixar Rush 360)
-> release on October 31
-> 29.99$/EUR
-> apparently not a free update for those who already bought the games

Did we find out what new zoo tycoon content there is?

Includes a selection of new animals from South America and Australia, including kangaroos and koalas.
Supports Xbox Play Anywhere
4K Ultra HD and HDR

Leak

When we were expecting 2017's E3 there was heat in the air, they were going to show a new console, generations discussion aside, X is a new console, in this intergenerations paradigm but a new console, there were a few announcements and it seemed obvious that they had to rock with developements for the X. But they only showed the f*cking Forza Motorsport 7.

When One was announced the failure was obvious. That policies, Kinect, power, size, price... All-in to fail, but even that, they sold pretty enough because of the 360 good times, but not near to their Wii-style console sells expectations, and they were just pushing the console in that fitful way of PC temporarily exclusives as Ryse or Dead Rising 3 (and above, were flops). I ever defended that Xbox was making more productions than PlayStation, and when Spencer came I even defended making new games don't takes a few days.

But after all that, comes and goes, that last descent into hell of their image with all-in with their games to PC, Scalebound cancellation, and knowing that they're still making lots of money with royalties, I swear to god that I hardly can understand the lineup for this year. Them were plenty possibilities, from Halo 3 Anniveresary, going through PGR5 (remembering 360 good times and instead of FM7 knowing that FM6 sales were not very good), bring Conker again (that bait in the first seconds of Super Lucky's Tale E3 trailer were fucking painful), Perfect Dark, Fable 4 (they had a lot of awesome work made with Legends), Halo or Gears spin-off, or something new for God's love. In fact when first Gears of War (1) images where shown with that gray scenarios, people was especulating if it was going to be a survival horror game, and then that fake about a Halo horror game that matched the relationship between Xbox and Creative Assembly, who made Alien Isolation, and matching too that Halo 5 arts set after Halo 5s campaign where the Chief is alone.

But

absolutely

fucking

nothing.

The fucking Forza Motorsport 7. And Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust remasters, DON'T MESS WITH ME.

I guess this rage is coming because I'm a tech lover, I love powerful consoles, I didn't care about PS4 because it wasn't much more powerful than One and not much expensive PCs where more capable, with Pro I was more interested, and even more with PSVR, now X looks really awesome... But I feel absolutely fooled where the only prediction/wish I had for the E3 that has been accomplished is that there was going to be an edition with green details (Project Scorpio edition). It's near to literal that the only that remains of the Xbox name is... The name. Until today, or better until the last E3, there ever was a excuse to hope that things were going to change, but again I swear God that Scorpio Edition green against all the exposed before feels feels like retrieval.

PS: My english isn't very good so I'm sorry if some parts aren't well written. If you can't understand any of them I'll be charmed of trying to explain myself.

Chobel

Phil Spencer about Fable

wdtZuhM3QtmvY94GArozoA.png

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/899468629074300929

sirronoh

^ Yeah, I mean he can say whatever he wants. I think what the frustration has been about all year long are the actual outcomes.

When we were expecting 2017's E3 there was heat in the air, they were going to show a new console, generations discussion aside, X is a new console, in this intergenerations paradigm but a new console, there were a few announcements and it seemed obvious that they had to rock with developements for the X. But they only showed the f*cking Forza Motorsport 7.

When One was announced the failure was obvious. That policies, Kinect, power, size, price... All-in to fail, but even that, they sold pretty enough because of the 360 good times, but not near to their Wii-style console sells expectations, and they were just pushing the console in that fitful way of PC temporarily exclusives as Ryse or Dead Rising 3 (and above, were flops). I ever defended that Xbox was making more productions than PlayStation, and when Spencer came I even defended making new games don't takes a few days.

But after all that, comes and goes, that last descent into hell of their image with all-in with their games to PC, Scalebound cancellation, and knowing that they're still making lots of money with royalties, I swear to god that I hardly can understand the lineup for this year. Them were plenty possibilities, from Halo 3 Anniveresary, going through PGR5 (remembering 360 good times and instead of FM7 knowing that FM6 sales were not very good), bring Conker again (that bait in the first seconds of Super Lucky's Tale E3 trailer were fucking painful), Perfect Dark, Fable 4 (they had a lot of awesome work made with Legends), Halo or Gears spin-off, or something new for God's love. In fact when first Gears of War (1) images where shown with that gray scenarios, people was especulating if it was going to be a survival horror game, and then that fake about a Halo horror game that matched the relationship between Xbox and Creative Assembly, who made Alien Isolation, and matching too that Halo 5 arts set after Halo 5s campaign where the Chief is alone.

But

absolutely

fucking

nothing.

The fucking Forza Motorsport 7. And Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust remasters, DON'T MESS WITH ME.

I guess this rage is coming because I'm a tech lover, I love powerful consoles, I didn't care about PS4 because it wasn't much more powerful than One and not much expensive PCs where more capable, with Pro I was more interested, and even more with PSVR, now X looks really awesome... But I feel absolutely fooled where the only prediction/wish I had for the E3 that has been accomplished is that there was going to be an edition with green details (Project Scorpio edition). It's near to literal that the only that remains of the Xbox name is... The name. Until today, or better until the last E3, there ever was a excuse to hope that things were going to change, but again I swear God that Scorpio Edition green against all the exposed before feels feels like retrieval.

PS: My english isn't very good so I'm sorry if some parts aren't well written. If you can't understand any of them I'll be charmed of trying to explain myself.

Not worth getting angry about, you can always spend your money on something else.

Top Bottom