• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Rymuth

^ Yeah, I mean he can say whatever he wants. I think what the frustration has been about all year long are the actual outcomes.

Yep

M31Ylsa.png

More first party games than last year...

I know they wouldn't make much money, but they really should start trying to "pick up" more smaller games like in the XBLA days. There was so many gems that were "exclusive" based on that. Games like Pit People, Cuphead, Ashen, etc would do wonders for their published lineup. And it's not like there are indies who aren't looking for publishers. Just look at all the games that Curve, Devolver, Adult Swim, Team17, and other middle of the line publishers pick up...why can't MS make a small studio of 30 or so people and give them a budget to sign some smaller games?

They do it with their Chinese studio E-Home Entertainment, so they should try and do it here as well. It would help fund games that might need funding and help securing them for their platform and giving a better perception of "exclusives"

Because that would make too much sense.

Shiggy

Yep

M31Ylsa.png

Technically, he's not wrong:
Halo Wars 2
Phantom Dust
ReCore Definitive Edition
Forza Motorsport 7
Disneyland Adventures
Pixar Rush
Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection
Super Lucky’s Tale
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

It's just stuff that only few are excited about.

gamz

Halo Wars 2
Phantom Dust
Forza Motorsport 7
Disneyland Adventures
Pixar Rush
Super Lucky’s Tale

a few for Battleground?

Halo Wars 2
Phantom Dust
Forza Motorsport 7
Disneyland Adventures
Pixar Rush
Super Lucky’s Tale

Also Halo Wars DE

I'd wager he's also counting Rise of Nations and Age of Empires since 1st party IPs. VooDoo Vince and Fanle fortune are also owned IPs

Edit: oh user specified Xbox One

kpaadet

Halo Wars 2
Phantom Dust
Forza Motorsport 7
Disneyland Adventures
Pixar Rush
Super Lucky’s Tale

Do you really consider Battlegrounds a first party game?

Shiggy

Also Halo Wars DE

I'd wager he's also counting Rise of Nations and Age of Empires since 1st party IPs. VooDoo Vince and Fanle fortune are also owned IPs

Edit: oh user specified Xbox One

Microsoft just licensed out their IPs for that, those aren't first party projects - similar to Age of Empires or Blue Dragon on Nintendo DS.

The new IP he was talking about was probably Sea of Thieves, which slipped into spring 2018.

Just counting Microsoft-published games as first party there.

SpotAnime

a few for Battleground?

It's probably been said before, but I don't think PUBG is going to move the needle for the Xbox One. It will sell well to it's install base, but I don't think people will buy the Xbox One for it. You'll have the majority of sales going to Destiny 2, the annual CoD sell-through, and the Star Wars Battlefront crowd for the mainstream. Non-Xbox One owners who really want to play PUBG will get (or have already bought) it on the PC.

I mean, it won't be a bust, it just won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Same as for when it finally lands on the PS4.

Just my thoughts. 100s of thousands, not millions. Not a system seller.

I like Fable Fortune more than I thought I would.

I suppose the ultimate test now is E3 2018, presuming no more announces etc between now and then. A good first half of 2018 is on the cards, but after that, if it's 'just' Halo 6 (which I will bite for, of course), and a Forza, then what? It's a pretty weird move given they want to sell a new console model inbetween, which leads me to reckon there really isn't much in the pipe.

If so, I will curse my addiction to Halo!

gamz

It's probably been said before, but I don't think PUBG is going to move the needle for the Xbox One. It will sell well to it's install base, but I don't think people will buy the Xbox One for it. You'll have the majority of sales going to Destiny 2, the annual CoD sell-through, and the Star Wars Battlefront crowd for the mainstream. Non-Xbox One owners who really want to play PUBG will get (or have already bought) it on the PC.

I mean, it won't be a bust, it just won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Same as for when it finally lands on the PS4.

Seriously? You think it'll only do 100s of thousands? It'll do millions. You are vastly underestimating this game.

Microsoft just licensed out their IPs for that, those aren't first party projects - similar to Age of Empires or Blue Dragon on Nintendo DS.

The new IP he was talking about was probably Sea of Thieves, which slipped into spring 2018.

Just counting Microsoft-published games as first party there.
Can you say without a shred of doubt that Phil and Aaron wouldn't count them? Heh

I like Fable Fortune more than I thought I would.

I suppose the ultimate test now is E3 2018, presuming no more announces etc between now and then. A good first half of 2018 is on the cards, but after that, if it's 'just' Halo 6 (which I will bite for, of course), and a Forza, then what? It's a pretty weird move given they want to sell a new console model inbetween, which leads me to reckon there really isn't much in the pipe.

If so, I will curse my addiction to Halo!

Microsoft's early year stuff will probably be good but their late year stuff will probably be light. Im predicting that their holiday release schedule will include Forza Horizon 4, State of Decay 2 (yes, a delay) and Ori 2. I don't think Halo will pop up until 2019.

If they were going to release a new AAA IP in 2018, they would probably be announced it by now to hype it up. Also, if they had a big title that they were sure would hit, they probably would have announced it just to throw a bone to impatient fans (like myself).

JlNX

Yep

M31Ylsa.png

That was February, I'm sure he would have loved to have SOD2, SOT and CD3 release this year but that isn't within his control (unless he wants to ship them half baked.) But it's a better situation for those games now releasing Q1/Q2 anyway, they have a chance of being successful. For every one that is successful it strengthens their first party, it means a CD4, SOD3/new IP or SOT2/expansion. This is far better than releasing SO it failing, then saying bye bye to the ip and the potential sequel. Not to mention the loss of money directly affects investment in new projects. MS's issue is almost everything new and revived has failed which not only effects their investment, but it also effects their potential first party line-up. If Ryse could have been bought, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, Quantum Break, Recore, Fable Legends and Scalebound were successful then a sequel would be in the works we would probably have seen one or two of them by now, their future first party line-up wouldn't be a complete mystery. KI and ORI have been successful and we are getting a sequel to ORI, which alongside CD3, SOT, SOD2 and the telegraphed FH4 and Halo 6 (probably) looks like a really good year. If they can build of the momentum of the first three going into E3 next year (if they are good) and capitalise on that with release dates for ORI, FH4 and Halo 6 for the rest of 2018 (maybe something else AA) and show games coming out Q1/Q2 2019 then great. But they could always fail as they have shown with this year, but the day I get to say ORI, SOD, SOT and Crackdown rather than just the continuous Halo, Gears and Forza is the day MS has unfucked their issue. If that means releasing games when their done (poor Recore) and releasing them when they can be successful then I'm all for it, I've got plenty of third party games this holiday and I can catch up on P5.

That was February, I'm sure he would have loved to have SOD2, SOT and CD3 release this year but that isn't within his control (unless he wants to ship them half baked.) But it's a better situation for those games now releasing Q1/Q2 anyway, they have a chance of being successful. For every one that is successful it strengthens their first party, it means a CD4, SOD3/new IP or SOT2/expansion. This is far better than releasing SO it failing, then saying bye bye to the ip and the potential sequel. Not to mention the loss of money directly affects investment in new projects. MS's issue is almost everything new and revived has failed which not only effects their investment, but it also effects their potential first party line-up. If Ryse could have been bought, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, Quantum Break, Recore, Fable Legends and Scalebound were successful then a sequel would be in the works we would probably have seen one or two of them by now, their future first party line-up wouldn't be a complete mystery. KI and ORI have been successful and we are getting a sequel to ORI, which alongside CD3, SOT, SOD2 and the telegraphed FH4 and Halo 6 (probably) looks like a really good year. If they can build of the momentum of the first three going into E3 next year (if they are good) and capitalise on that with release dates for ORI, FH4 and Halo 6 for the rest of 2018 (maybe something else AA) and show games coming out Q1/Q2 2019 then great. But they could always fail as they have shown with this year, but the day I get to say ORI, SOD, SOT and Crackdown rather than just the continuous Halo, Gears and Forza is the day MS has unfucked their issue. If that means releasing games when their done (poor Recore) and releasing them when they can be successful then I'm all for it, I've got plenty of third party games this holiday and I can catch up on P5.

Yeah, I'd rather play games when they are done and have a chance to shine. ReCore getting an upgrade is the least that game deserves.

blakep267

tricky. It's not first party but they are publishing the Xbox version and will market and treat it as if it's a first party game ex 2015 Tomb raider. They are putting money behind the game. It's not exclusive, we all know that.

Ark survival evolved did millions on the console(1 million in a month). And that game has nowhere near the amount of hype that PUBG has. It'll easily sell millions of copies

Since I was doing a bit, here's just a random update on some Xbox first-party metrics for the less established titles. Cuphead included because Super Luckey's Tale is too new in the picture.

PmJveel.jpg

pagrab

I know they wouldn't make much money, but they really should start trying to "pick up" more smaller games like in the XBLA days. There was so many gems that were "exclusive" based on that. Games like Pit People, Cuphead, Ashen, etc would do wonders for their published lineup. And it's not like there are indies who aren't looking for publishers. Just look at all the games that Curve, Devolver, Adult Swim, Team17, and other middle of the line publishers pick up...why can't MS make a small studio of 30 or so people and give them a budget to sign some smaller games?

They do it with their Chinese studio E-Home Entertainment, so they should try and do it here as well. It would help fund games that might need funding and help securing them for their platform and giving a better perception of "exclusives"

I think that this is the point where the fact that all these games will be also on PC hurts the console the most. There are really not that many people who couldn't play these games on their Windows machines. They work even on crappy notebooks.

Wedzi

Banned
Seriously? You think it'll only do 100s of thousands? It'll do millions. You are vastly underestimating this game.

It'll be a little sketchy considering the game will be in early access, but if MS is smart I'd do some kind of bundle this holiday with PUBG. It's just too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Chris1

It'll be a little sketchy considering the game will be in early access, but if MS is smart I'd do some kind of bundle this holiday with PUBG. It's just too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Ark did 1M in preview I believe on Xbox One

This game will smash that easily, probably a good 3 million during the time it's in preview/exclusive

For comparison Ark is sitting at 5.1m on Steam after over two years, PUBG is sitting at 7.3M after 6 month on the market and will probably reach ~10M by end of the year

Ark has likely done well over 1 million in sales on Xbox. It reached 1 million downloads in January of 2016. That's not sales because there is a free trial for all early Xbox game preview games but it should give an indication of its success.

Welfare

Ark did 1M in preview I believe on Xbox One

This game will smash that easily, probably a good 3 million during the time it's in preview/exclusive

For comparison Ark is sitting at 5.1m on Steam after over two years, PUBG is sitting at 7.3M after 6 month on the market and will probably reach ~10M by end of the year
Ark launched on Xbox One in December 2015 and sold 1M as of April 2016 and 1.5M in July 2016.

blakep267

peppers

Does anybody know anything about this?

https://twitter.com/Koralestes/status/899597424779563010

Project Elea, a first person adventure title for Xbox and PC, on unreal engine 4.

Edit: Seems to be from an indie studio based in Sofia Bulgaria. Saw the trailer in their web projectelea.com
It said MacOS, VR and Consoles. Probably an old trailer tho, since that tweet is way more recent and says only PC and Xbox.

I don't know exactly who he is, but all I'm gonna say is, what about that job posting for that Horizon ZD like game?

And if they are only going to focus on GaaS, why is that bad? Unless I'm wrong, isn't Gears 4 GaaS? Isn't Halo 5 that as well? Any game that can keep you coming back thanks to microtransactions, isn't that GaaS?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

They'll never do a bundle with a preview game.

jelly

I don't know exactly who he is, but all I'm gonna say is, what about that job posting for that Horizon ZD like game?

And if they are only going to focus on GaaS, why is that bad? Unless I'm wrong, isn't Gears 4 GaaS? Isn't Halo 5 that as well? Any game that can keep you coming back thanks to microtransactions, isn't that GaaS?

How much GaaS do they need to make it worthwhile if their budget is cut and in all likelihood GaaS features will be expanded anyway from the previous games, it's what any business would do. The worry is, what sort of games do they make if that becomes more important and vital to their survival. Sure, many games have GaaS features but lets not tip the scales, not something I want to see.

Need jez to chime in on this. I'm taking it with a grain of salt until confirmation from other sources.

Doubt he'll be allowed to confirm or deny that. I mean it wouldn't exactly be good news. I'm sure they'd rather stay silent on that for as long as possible.

Fuck this shit though, we're getting a hugely improved Xbox and this kind of shit news to go along with it? The fuck man.

Welfare

It had 1 million downloads in under a week and more DAU than the pic version. Now granted downloads don't equal sales since the game preview has a trial

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...on-downloads-on-xbox-one-daily-/1100-6433476/

Also the article said Ark had been downloaded 5.5 million times. People just assumed that every download equals a sale

That's why I specified it sold 1M in April. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dino-game-ark-passes-new-sales-milestone-on-xbox-o/1100-6439121/

PS4 version also sold 1M in 2 months http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-02-16-ark-survival-evolved-sells-1-million-on-ps4

PUBG is going to blow those numbers out.

JlNX

Zhuge is probably just like a lot of posters and insiders here is trying to rationalise whats going on at Xbox, a lot of people including press are coming to the conclusion it could be MS from above. Thats not something we will get to find out not even insiders that info is kept on the board and exec's within Xbox, you ain't finding that info out from insiders or anyone else. Unless Zhuge wants to clarify maybe internal MS documents leaked I don't know, he is in the analyst community he would know better. But it just comes of like what a lot of other people are saying to rationalise what Xbox is doing. Pretty sure we would have heard from MS insiders by now if any financial documents leaked from MS.

In simpler terms what blakep267 said:
Zhuge is just speaking in generalities. He's an analyst

jelly

Doubt he'll be allowed to confirm or deny that. I mean it wouldn't exactly be good news. I'm sure they'd rather stay silent on that for as long as possible.

Fuck this shit though, we're getting a hugely improved Xbox and this kind of shit news to go along with it? The fuck man.

Think how much Xbox One X cost to develop, that must have sucked their budget dry and then you have Fable Legends and Scalebound down the drain, Crackdown dragging on, Sea of Thieves any day now...that's a lot of negatives that have yet to bare fruits.

Welfare

Zhuge is probably just like a lot of posters and insiders here is trying to rationalise whats going on at Xbox, a lot of people including press are coming to the conclusion it could be MS from above. Thats not something we will get to find out not even insiders that info is kept on the board and exec's within Xbox, you ain't finding that info out from insiders or anyone else. Unless Zhuge wants to clarify maybe internal MS documents leaked I don't know, he is in the analyst community he would know better. But it just comes of like what a lot of other people are saying to rationalise what Xbox is doing. Pretty sure we would have heard from MS insiders by now if any financial documents leaked from MS.

We have had insiders say MS are not giving Xbox much to work with. The budget isn't increasing.

wapplew

I don't see why Xbox first party need to change status quo.
PUBG deal probably will push Xbox hardware and MAU more than Sea of thieves, State of decay 2 and Crackdown 3 combine.
They just need to sign more deal like this, much cheaper than than running 100+ people studio or hire third party studio.

Top Bottom