• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh Nintendo, you always know how to set my heart aflutter about new hardware.

IT BEGIIIIIIINS

Squishy

I'm really interested in how they'll actually pull off a 3d effect without glasses. Who knows, maybe we have a second Virtual Boy on the way?

Edit: oh, there ARE glasses? I should read more before I post.

I'm not so sure about this now... Those glasses better be pretty damn stylish if you want to get a cool dude like me to wear them, Nintendo.

Dresden

WTF@ Kotaku's article:

At E3, Nintendo will be announcing new hardware, the Nintendo 3DS.

The portable allows gamers to experience 3D gaming with 3D glasses. The product will go on sale between April 2010 and March 2011.

COPY/PASTE CORRECTLY YOU FUCKING IDIOT

A 3d handheld? :O Interesting, hope it actually works.

And I want to say hi to my future self reading this announcement thread.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheGreatDave said:
English press releases says it's the successor to the DS, if anyone needed clarification, and backwards compatibility with the DS.

But the 3 in the name makes me think the DSi was considered DS2... as they talk about it being the successor to both DS and DSi.

Jirotrom

obaidr said:
Wow they are really milking that Gamecube hardware, releasing it now for the third time but it really sounds interessteing. Didn't expect them to go this far.
lmao! :lol :lol :lol

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
there is no way i'm not beaten, but what the hell:

14brzmd.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtNL37Ec2sA

Maximus.

holy shit 3d handle with no freaking glasses, nintendo has done it yet again :lol

edit: sick if it uses gcn graphics and wow at lameness of kotaku :/

The PDF says that it's backwards compatible. So it must have 2 screens. Just clearing things up for the people who were wondering before.

Also: OMG

Andrex said:
I just want three things:

- 3D without glasses :)D)
- Backwards compatible with DS games (nVidia Tegra...)
- Lifetime free wireless EDGE/3G like the Kingle (as Iwata said they were exploring)

System of the forever if it gets all three.

Freudian slip?

25qry20.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
devilhawk said:
If they do include 3G, would adding 4G later be possible?

No (well maybe through a peripheral) but 3G is already great for downloading/playing online. Depends on what network they'd go with though, I'd assume AT&T since they would probably want it to be GSM and AT&T already has a couple non-phone data-only devices (Kindle, iPad.)

Jenga

Banned
So this is going to be one of those threads where everyone looks back on and go "Oh they/I were so silly!"

huh

well, I still think the 3DS will be successful, but we'll see

jony_m

skeptic here - maybe just butthurt since i just got a DSi…
the XL is not even out in the US and they announce this? early april fools?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
smokeymicpot said:
Nice time frame they have. April of 2010 to March of 2011. It will come out. Fail site.
To be fair, that's all Nintendo said, too. It's going to be that fiscal year, but that's all we know.

Though, if I were Kotaku I would PROOOOBABLY go ahead and guess that it's going to be AFTER E3.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just hope the 3D is not butt-ugly like the DS'. Also, I'm afraid of what this means for 2D gaming. It will continue to live, but will it thrive like it has in the DS?

What of RPad, dude was pretty close minus the 3D, wasn't he?

System sounds awesome, portable GC would be great :D I've had the Lite for a while, an upgrade in a year doesn't sound too shabbeh.

Stillmatic

Now people like 3D because you don't have to wear glasses? You prissy mother fuckers. :lol

Sounds awesome anyway, i've always been on the 3D bandwagon, so givme, nao.

Hurray for backwards compatibility for DS & DSi games!

I'm less worried about it now. At first I thought it might just be only for 3D games, (I'm not a huge fan of "true" 3D) but I'm glad that 2D games and standard 3D games will still be viable.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
chicken_ramen said:
The PDF says that it's backwards compatible. So it must have 2 screens. Just clearing things up for the people who were wondering before.

Also: OMG

It does say it's backwards compatible? What were the exact words?

Nafai1123

Banned
3d on handheld sounds amazing. Will wait for impressions before getting too excited tho. This is shaping up to be an epic e3!!!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wonder what kind of voodoo Mario magic software Nintendo's coming up with for this, considering the company line nowadays is that software drives hardware. Hopefully it's not like a bunch of half-assed Gamecube ports.

Although a 3D Sunshine would rock pretty hard.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
wow... this E3 should be fun

Himajin

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm 150% sure it'll be backwards compatible. Nintendo always plays it safe for the first version of a new handheld.

The second 3DS, well....

Yes, the release confirms that this is a proper successor to the DS, but it will remain compatible with existing DS games, including DSi titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom