• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving to Canada Advice

HiResDes

Comparatively, yes.

London is still more or less a college town with Western University and Fanshawe College.

We slowly are growing our tech scene so lots of jobs there.

When it comes to having things to do out of work, your options are pretty limited. There isn't a huge music and arts scene.

The hottest sports ticket in town are for the Knights (Jr. Hockey). The Knights consistently are one of the best Jr. teams in Canada and there's always at least 1-2 players each year that go on to have good NHL careers so definitely worth the watch.

The city is also divided with a good and bad side. There's a street that runs north-south called Adelaide. East of Adelaide (EoA) is considered the bad side of town. There's some pockets that are good of course!

If you do some reading as well, you may find out that unfortunately London can be a racist town. I can't speak to this because I'm a white guy so I'll have never experienced this. I also have not witnessed anything like that first hand either.

That being said - London is VERY affordable when you compare to other cities in Canada of this size or larger. You can get a decent home for $250k.
Thanks a bunch I'm really into music and arts but maybe I'll have to make some sacrifices.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I must admit it's difficult living here with like 10 ski resorts within 3-4 hours drive and bucketloads of mountain biking nearby. Without needing to shovel over 15 feet of snow in the winters.

Calgary has improved a lot over the last 5 or 6 years. The nightlife is still pretty ordinary, but there is a fair few good restaurants / cocktail bars and the rockies are a 45 minute drive away. I'd much rather that than living in a place like Toronto.

I say that as someone who grew up in Sydney, Australia. I'd gladly take Calgary over any massive city these days.

And I'll bet most of those ski resorts are in the way cooler province to the West. Same with better biking, better landscape, better weather, better people...the list goes on.

I expected lots of hate for Toronto on here (as is the way of things in Canada) but all the love for cities like Ottawa and Calgary is mindblowing to me.

Montrealer here, you'll need to speak French to fully enjoy living here.

As a bilingual Islander who lived in Montreal for two years, this is 100% untrue.

Go to Toronto [friendliest city in Canada, also the most multicultural], Montreal is a hate-filled place full of cultures who all hate each-other [the English hate the French, the French hate the English, everyone hates the Jews].

I specifically moved there to work on my French [which is pretty much perfect], and not a single fucking Francophone would do me the honor of ever speaking back to me in French [outside of maybe one or two experiences with contractors who weren't bilingual].

Holy fuck did I hate Montreal...

The worst part was the enclave of Anglophones who were BORN AND FUCKING RAISED in Montreal [read: Westmount], who COULDN'T EVEN SPEAK FRENCH.

Like, even I hate you...

Switch Back 9

Move to Montreal over Toronto, not as expensive, amazing culture and food. Less american than Toronto.

I don't really get this comment. Toronto is the most diverse city on the planet, I don't know how that equates to it being "American". Cities like Calgary and Edmonton are way more "American" than Toronto in terms of culture.

EDIT: I hate the fact that I'm defending Toronto in this thread. My family would be rolling. Normally I'm the one hating on the city.

pr0cs

Calgary is a hole. It's an incredibly ugly, flat city with zero personality surrounded by and chock full of rig workers, ranchers, and all manner of wannabe
Totally agree, look at this fucking dive, how anyone could live there is beyond me.
Calgary3.jpg

(mat)

I'm Canadian. I've lived in Montreal, Winnipeg, Toronto, and now Edmonton, and I can sincerely say I have never once witnessed "bagged milk". Weirdest stereotype.

Switch Back 9

Totally agree, look at this fucking dive, how anyone could live there is beyond me.

Wow the five minutes a year where it isn't brown and gross or snowy and gross. Nice that those mountains are off in the distance, if you're looking AT the city from one particular direction. For those that like it, fair play, but out of all the major cities in Canada to move to or recommend Calgary is near the bottom of that list for me personally.

prophetvx

Calgary is a hole. It's an incredibly ugly, flat city with zero personality surrounded by and chock full of rig workers, ranchers, and all manner of wannabe 'Murica cowboy types. Again, no offence to the posters in here from Calgary but I've spent a lot of time in that city and don't really have anything positive to say about it and certainly would never recommend living there.

And I'll bet most of those ski resorts are in the way cooler province to the West. Same with better biking, better landscape, better weather, better people...the list goes on.
With all due respect, most people in Calgary are actually white collar workers, not 'rig workers' or ranchers. Is your only experience going during stampede?

Sure on the ski resort front. Fernie is only around 11 hours drive from Van, Kicking Horse 7.5 hours, Revelstoke 6.5 hours.

I think you'd find everyone would love to live in interior BC. Getting a job and affording to live there isn't so easy.

Whistler is full of the biggest douchebags on the planet.

Switch Back 9

I'm Canadian. I've lived in Montreal, Winnipeg, Toronto, and now Edmonton, and I can sincerely say I have never once witnessed "bagged milk". Weirdest stereotype.

I don't believe that for a second. It's 100% an East Coast/Ontario thing but there's no possible way you lived in Toronto and never saw bagged milk in a grocery store or someone's house/apt.

MikeyB

Downtown Calgary and the old residential neighbourhoods are actually alright.

The rest of the city though... it just spreads. Low rise low density housing, strip malls, malls, gas stations as far as the eye can see. Avoid that part like the plague.

how good are you at apologizing

G'damn LMFAO!

My company acquired a company in Toronto two years ago so I am up there pretty regularly and love it. Keep in mind I stay downtown when I travel but I absolutely love Toronto. Prior to that I lived in Vancouver for about 4 years in the mid 90's and loved it there too.

Switch Back 9

With all due respect, most people in Calgary are actually white collar workers, not 'rig workers' or ranchers. Is your only experience going during stampede?

Sure on the ski resort front. Fernie is only around 11 hours drive from Van, Kicking Horse 7.5 hours, Revelstoke 6.5 hours.

I think you'd find everyone would love to live in interior BC. Getting a job and affording to live there isn't so easy.

I'm a bit biased because I do live (in Ontario for the summer but for the most part) in the Interior and yeah, it fucking rocks. I've also lived in Vancouver and Cypress/Grouse/Seymour and Whistler are all within an hour or two, and the latter shits on Fernie from a riding perspective (lived there as well). Sure Whistler is a HUGE resort with tons of people and thus tons of ego and dickery, but for terrain it's easily the best in Canada, for biking, skiing, hiking or whatever.

Calgary is a giant, flat city that is mostly just houses and stores. There's like zero culture or uniqueness to anything there, and no one would be able to recognize that skyline unless you grew up there.

EDIT: In order to avoid totally de-railing this thread I'll stop hating on Calgary. If you live and you love it, power to you. It's just not a place I'd recommend over somewhere like Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Victoria, etc...

prophetvx

I'm a bit biased because I do live (in Ontario for the summer but for the most part) in the Interior and yeah, it fucking rocks. I've also lived in Vancouver and Cypress/Grouse and Whistler are all within an hour or two, and the latter shits on Fernie from a riding perspective (lived there as well). Sure Whistler is a HUGE resort with tons of people and thus tons of ego and dickery, but for terrain it's easily the best in Canada, for biking, skiing, hiking or whatever.

Calgary is a giant, flat city that is mostly just houses and stores. There's like zero culture or uniqueness to anything there, and no one would be able to recognize that skyline unless you grew up there.

And Revelstoke shits on Whistler from a riding perspective, with a much more chill crowd.

I wasn't comparing Fernie to Whistler, Van really only has Whistler. Most other major resorts are actually closer drive to Calgary or Kelowna. Grouse and Cypress are decent local mountains, with massively inconsistent snow.

As I've said I grew up in Sydney, a city with arguably the most recognizable skyline in the world alongside New York, nightlife / restaurants and all that jazz, and I'd gladly take what I have now living in Calgary with the amount of outdoor activities you can do, through all seasons.

It honestly just sounds like you have extremely limited experience there as you're repeating every bullshit stereotype. You don't see cowboys walking down the street and rig pigs are more common in the rural areas or Edmonton (which I've also lived in).

I don't disagree with you that it is a bland looking city, but its backdrop isn't. Toronto feels just like every other big city, it's not unique. It's not a bad city by any stretch, most in Canada are actually pretty good cities.

Ehhhh. I think Kelowna takes that crown. Lived in Kamloops for a while and any time I'd visit there it was all a bunch of tattied up dude bros acting all elitist that they are from Kelowna. They would actually hate you just for being from Kamloops (which I actually loved living there). Just awful. Most beautiful place filled with the biggest sacks of shit Canada has to offer. Not going to deny the women there were damn beautiful though.

Whistler peeps are alright in my book. Out of all the mountain towns, Jasper, Alberta is the best. Best people. But theybare hardcore Oiler fans so it definitely loses points there.

Victoria is the best City in Canada.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't believe that for a second. It's 100% an East Coast/Ontario thing but there's no possible way you lived in Toronto and never saw bagged milk in a grocery store or someone's house/apt.

Yeah, bagged milk is available everywhere in Quebec too, even the local gas stations. It's impossible to miss if that guy was in Montreal.

prophetvx

Ehhhh. I think Kelowna takes that crown. Lived in Kamloops for a while and any time I'd visit there it was all a bunch of tattied up dude bros acting all elitist that they are from Kelowna. They would actually hate you just for being from Kamloops (which I actually loved living there). Just awful. Most beautiful place filled with the biggest sacks of shit Canada has to offer. Not going to deny the women there were damn beautiful though.

Whistler peeps are alright in my book. Out of all the mountain towns, Jasper, Alberta is the best. Best people. But theybare hardcore Oiler fans so it definitely loses points there.

Actually I can't disagree with any of that hah. My hatred of Whistler is probably more because it has the worst type of Australian's there. Plus it represents everything I hate in a ski town.

Kelowna is a wicked place with terrible people though. If I want to hit the Okanagan in summer, I usually stay around Vernon.

Victoria is amazing, I'd love to live there when I retire.

(mat)

Yeah, bagged milk is available everywhere in Quebec too, even the local gas stations. It's impossible to miss if that guy was in Montreal.

Alright - fair enough. I definitely lived in Montreal and Toronto as a young kid, so maybe I just didn't pay too much attention. I've been in Edmonton for my entire teen/adult years, and we certainly don't have it here.

The worst is when you didnt have scissors handy when you put the bag o milk in the jug and you needed to cut the corner but all you have is a serrated steak knife and the corner was all fucked up after and when you poured the milk it was like peeing after a long night of sex and milk would go everywhere.

Actually I can't disagree with any of that hah. My hatred of Whistler is probably more because it has the worst type of Australian's there. Plus it represents everything I hate in a ski town.

Kelowna is a wicked place with terrible people though. If I want to hit the Okanagan in summer, I usually stay around Vernon.

Victoria is amazing, I'd love to live there when I retire.
Worst part of Vic is that it rivals Van for how expensivenit is to live here. $1600/month for a 1bdrm in my area. $400,000 for a meh condo. Million dollar houses that would go for like $300,000 in Ontario.

I guess thats the price you pay for no winters in Canada.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Worst part of Vic is that it rivals Van for how expensivenit is to live here. $1600/month for a 1bdrm in my area. $400,000 for a meh condo. Million dollar houses that would go for like $300,000 in Ontario.

I guess thats the price you pay for no winters in Canada.

No, that's just the depth of insanity you have to reach to convince yourself there are "no winters" in Victoria.

Darksol

Alberta is a piece of shit.

Montreal is awesome but you likely won't go very far there unless you're fluent in French.

Toronto is interesting but isn't as densely packed as New York, Tokyo or any other mega cities.

Other than cost of living, Vancouver is loved by all.

Bring a jacket.

No, that's just the depth of insanity you have to reach to convince yourself there are "no winters" in Victoria.
Well in the 10 years Ive been here. Its barely snowed at all. In the last ten years the winters have had snow on the ground for like a few weeks tops in the winter. Even then its not a lot and it is usually gone the next morning. Only last winter was kinda shitty. It just rains a lot. But it barely ever drops below ten degrees celcius. Coming from Cape Breton and growing up in Ontario and spending many years in the Rockies. This is not a "Canadian" winter here by any means.

The amount of car accidents here when it does snow is insane because nobody knows how to drive in snow.

Winter here is no different then the Fall in other places I've lived.

I walk around the lake here in January and February without a jacket on and the grass is green. Pfffft "winter"

I lived in Kelowna 10 years, can confirm. I was so desperate for friendly people I ended up moving to Halifax just for that reason.

- Toronto is perhaps the most american Canadian city, and the second most expensive. But it's comparatively big so there are lots of options.

Ehh... I dunno, I'd say between Vancouver and Toronto, Vancouver would be slightly more Americanized than Toronto. I find that there are more traditionally Canadian aspects of the cities on the east coast, and more Canadian French speakers etc.

Mind you, I've lived in Vancouver my whole life and have only been to Toronto a few times, so you may disagree with me on this.

To answer your question a bit OP, Canada is an awesome country. I think you'll enjoy it. But should you choose to live in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, be prepared for it to be quite expensive! And it gets real cold on the east coast in the winter, and real humid in the summers, so be prepared for that! :)

Darksol

The most ironic thing about both of these threads is that I've been recently looking at jobs in London, Canada... Is that a boring city?

I missed this post. As someone who lived in London more than five years my advice is to never fucking visit there yet alone live there. Rednecks, heavy drug users, no real art or music scene to speak of, a piece of shit transportation system (even by Canadian standards) and largely still reeling from factory jobs they lost years ago.

Baltic

Banned
As a bilingual Islander who lived in Montreal for two years, this is 100% untrue.

Go to Toronto [friendliest city in Canada, also the most multicultural], Montreal is a hate-filled place full of cultures who all hate each-other [the English hate the French, the French hate the English, everyone hates the Jews].

I specifically moved there to work on my French [which is pretty much perfect], and not a single fucking Francophone would do me the honor of ever speaking back to me in French [outside of maybe one or two experiences with contractors who weren't bilingual].

The worst part was the enclave of Anglophones who were BORN AND FUCKING RAISED in Montreal [read: Westmount], who COULDN'T EVEN SPEAK FRENCH.

Like, even I hate you...

Seems like an odd experience. Wonder what happened cause it's not what we are used to here about the place.

Like, even I hate you...

sounds like West Island Angryphones who listen to too much CJAD

Ehh... I dunno, I'd say between Vancouver and Toronto, Vancouver would be slightly more Americanized than Toronto. I find that there are more traditionally Canadian aspects of the cities on the east coast, and more Canadian French speakers etc.

Mind you, I've lived in Vancouver my whole life and have only been to Toronto a few times, so you may disagree with me on this.

Yeah, I'm speaking as someone from Vancouver who lived in Chicago for years. :lol Vancouver is too laid back, too international. Toronto, structurally and at its core feels more like America. Of course, both feel safer than the US. They are still fundamentally canadian cities. But I do get the feeling all of the business that would have still been in Buffalo is now in Toronto, giving it this semi-american vibe of sorts.

Anyway, yeah compared to Vancouver, winter in TOR/MTL is no joke. Snow is a lock and in MTL expect long stretches of ice and -20 to -30. Buying a good down jacket should be high priority in fall.

Yeah, I'm speaking as someone from Vancouver who lived in Chicago for years. :lol Vancouver is too laid back, too international. Toronto, structurally and at its core feels more like America. Of course, both feel safer than the US. They are still fundamentally canadian cities. But I do get the feeling all of the business that would have still been in Buffalo is now in Toronto, giving it this semi-american vibe of sorts.

All valid points, but I was talking more about the presence or absence of Canadian French speakers in the province, which many people associate with an area being "more Canadian" than the other. The reality is, the west coast seldom actually utilizes Canadian French, because there aren't many in our demographic. Maybe it's because I don't actually live there, but every time I've gone to Toronto, I've fully felt like I was in Canada. Vancouver to me is much like Seattle or California in the way people are laid back. But I will agree that Vancouver is much more international than most places in the US.

SRG01

Does it actually get to -20/30 in Montreal or Toronto? I live in Edmonton and we used to get -30C (or even -35C) on a regular basis.

It's so cold that air is silent.

Tetraeon

Canada is fucking great. End of story. Toronto is quite expensive but it is a fantastic city with no shortage of things to do. The few times I've visited Montreal I really enjoyed the atmosphere. London I can also speak to as primarily a University town but the cost of living in Southwestern Ontario is much lower than any of the aforementioned cities.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Does it actually get to -20/30 in Montreal or Toronto? I live in Edmonton and we used to get -30C (or even -35C) on a regular basis.

It's so cold that air is silent.

It can. But it's not frequent. Montreal typically sees harsher weather than Toronto. Toronto is kind of protected right on top of Lake Ontario, though sometimes it can have the opposite effect but is rare.

Blues1990

Also if you can drop a series of in-jokes from the Red Green Show, your bill at every restaurant in the country is immediately slashed in half. It's like a law.

Shhhh! Don't scare him off. He seems like a nice fella.

Besides, you don't want to tell him about Toronto's Polar Bear infestation.

Dan-o

LOL the hate for Alberta / Calgary is real.
Calgary is fine. Great? No. Has its issues with sprawl and culture; film fests and theatre seem to struggle a little bit, despite being friendlier and welcoming to the general public, and the Calgary Expo (like comic con) is huge now. It has some REAL culture too, but there's no doubt that the Big Three are better in that regard.

Calgary has the best coffee in the country (Rosso. No comparison. Don't @ me) and some interesting microbreweries.

But yeah... It's not a quote Great unquote city. I mean... it spawned Stephen Harper and a few other truly hateful politicians. There's no recovering from that.
Lots of good road trip options...Being an hour from Canmore and Banff ain't a bad thing for that place though.

I don't live there, but I know it well. You could do worse, even in Alberta.

Winters though. They're something else...

Dabanton

My company recently opened up several new positions in Canada and have asked for people willing to move out there and help pay for the moving bills and first 3 months of rent.

Most of the jobs are in Toronto, some are in Montreal. My wife and I have always wanted to travel the world and the idea of doing a year or more in Canada is really appealing.

Are there things I should know about before I start moving on this?

I'm from the UK and hold a British passport btw.

As a brit who's lived in Vancouver for about 2 years now. The most sensible things I can say to you are

Will your salary support you, your wife and a fairly nice lifestyle for a year or two?

Will your company also get a visa that will allow your wife to work if she wishes to?

One of the biggest issues that you will find especially if your wife works in the UK is it's hard to get work out here in more professional positions as companies are wisely loathe to hire non Canadians who don't have permanent residence.

A lot of people I've met with SO's who had well paid jobs in their countries but struggled to find work here. Because of the permanent residence thing. It does take a while.

Crazylegs

Comparatively, yes.

London is still more or less a college town with Western University and Fanshawe College.

We slowly are growing our tech scene so lots of jobs there.

When it comes to having things to do out of work, your options are pretty limited. There isn't a huge music and arts scene.

The hottest sports ticket in town are for the Knights (Jr. Hockey). The Knights consistently are one of the best Jr. teams in Canada and there's always at least 1-2 players each year that go on to have good NHL careers so definitely worth the watch.

The city is also divided with a good and bad side. There's a street that runs north-south called Adelaide. East of Adelaide (EoA) is considered the bad side of town. There's some pockets that are good of course!

If you do some reading as well, you may find out that unfortunately London can be a racist town. I can't speak to this because I'm a white guy so I'll have never experienced this. I also have not witnessed anything like that first hand either.

That being said - London is VERY affordable when you compare to other cities in Canada of this size or larger. You can get a decent home for $250k.

London-ON-GAF reporting for duty...

I've lived all over the country, but I've called London home for most of my adult life. It's a pretty nice city overall. The Good Side/Bad Side is more myth than fact.

There actually is a pretty vibrant music/arts scene here, but it often flies under the radar of many Londoners. In the Summer, there is some kind of festival (lots of music) almost every weekend.

I work in the IT field, and it's a growing field here for sure. The presence of Western University and Fanshawe College definitely bolsters the tech sector here.

It's cliched, but London is a great place to raise a family.

If there are specific questions about London, I'm happy to answer them!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Edit: All the nonsensical Toronto shade in this thread. You can clearly tell the jealous people who are sad they don't live in this great city.

I'll take your opinions seriously about my city when you get your own baseball team and stop badwagoning from our success.
Baseball? Pfft.

Only false Canadians care about baseball.

Like, even I hate you...

What a weird post. o_O

Nice, a cherry-picked, professional skyline picture. That surely means... something? I don't know.

Calling BS here. xD

Alberta is a piece of shit.

Montreal is awesome but you likely won't go very far there unless you're fluent in French.
I wish people would stop repeating this. I've known many people who lived here for years (some, most or all of their lives) without speaking French.

It's not ideal but it's definitely doable.

sounds like West Island Angryphones who listen to too much CJAD
Fucking lol
"Angryphones", I should steal that

Yes, but it's not that regular. I'd say a typical Montreal winter day hovers between -10C and -15C.

Edit: All the nonsensical Toronto shade in this thread. You can clearly tell the jealous people who are sad they don't live in this great city.

I'll take your opinions seriously about my city when you get your own baseball team and stop badwagoning from our success.

Let me know when the leafs manage to win a playoff series

Hycran

Banned
It's funny how this thread devolved into talking about parts of the country OP can't move to. Canadians are so catty about where they live.

That being said, I'll confirm that Kelowna blows chunks and Kamloops is superior and is closer to a better ski resort

Top Bottom