• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalgia Thread - 1996 Toys R Us Holiday Ad

Gaming has always been expensive, the usual price is around 59 for a new game, has been like that for a very long time. People don't need to worry for a signficant increase in prices we pay for a game.

The Game Gear isn't as large as it appears in that ad.

Also, I recently got my GG out of storage and it doesn't work right anymore. Pisses me off. The screen barely comes on, the contrast is all off, and there's no sound. And no turning of the contrast knob helps. Such a punch in the gut.

terrisus

look at those colored n64 controllers

I remember being so fascinated with the different colored N64 controllers, and planning out before the system launched what colors I would have my four controllers be.

I ended up with a Gray (with system), Blue and Red at/around launch, and later picked up a Gold (not the Toys 'R Us one, there was also a Gold controller in Nintendo Power's 100th Issue catalog that came out the next year) and DK64 Banana Yellow (from a Nintendo Power resubscription offer. So, yeah, two controllers thanks to Nintendo Power).

Seeing them again, I just kind of want to get all of them to have them. Too bad most used ones out there would have joysticks that were falling apart from Mario Party 1 or such.

Megasoum

Banned
Brings back memories of me waiting for HOURS in my local Blockbuster on the N64 launch week waiting for the ONE console they had for renting to come back from the previous customer lol.

The Game Gear isn't as large as it appears in that ad.

Also, I recently got my GG out of storage and it doesn't work right anymore. Pisses me off. The screen barely comes on, the contrast is all off, and there's no sound. And no turning of the contrast knob helps. Such a punch in the gut.

You probably need to have all the capacitors replaced.

Coolwhip

Banned
We have to go back, Jack. Those were the days.

I like the feature list of the N64. 'It's an unbelievable gaming experience!' As one of the bullet points. Bring those corny times back :[

Wait are those dollars?

N64 in Italy was 600.000 lire, the official exchange rate makes it ~300€ without counting it was 16 years ago. And a cart was 150.000 lire.

Damn you
LLShC.gif

But yeah, I remember spending hours watching ads. Good times.

I paid the Japanese import with Mario and Pilotwings L. 1.300.000 in june '96. 650 euro not considering inflation !!

goldenpp72

Yeah, controllers in general were way cheaper back then- like priced appropriately for an accessory. They pretty much have been a price of a game ($60) this gen and has never dropped.

Well to be fair, a controller than was a small piece of plastic and some buttons, now we have motion sensors, rumble motors, wireless stuff built in, analog sticks, and now one with a screen built in. I'm not sure what all that stuff cost, but I imagine they cost at least 2x the amount they did prior to make.

FStop7

Banned
I was only 11 months old. >_>

Get out.

From http://huguesjohnson.com/scans/ebspring91/

I always loved Electronics Boutique's catalogs.

God, I wanted Neo Geo so badly back then.

Now I have one. Childhood dream ACCOMPLISHED.

Look at the bullshots nintendo used for their Mario on the first page :p

And let's have some name drops here for the informed (and I am uninformed). Can anyone name the athletes featured on the cover of:

• NHL 97
  • NHL Faceoff 97
  • NBA 97
  • Sega World Series Baseball 96
  • NFL Gameday 97
  • College Football 97
    And Finally
  • The madden 97 announcer

Beezer was on the cover of NHL 97, it was the year after the Panthers' Cinderella run to the Stanley Cup Finals. That was a really exciting time in South FL.

Donkey Kong Country 2 was close to $90 without tax in Canada for me when Donkey Kong Country 3 launched. Thank god the Canadian dollar appreciated as much as it did against the US dollar

$70 bucks for street fighter alpha?

Capcom going crazy since those days

It's alpha 2 and it had an additional chip built into the cartridge. It was specially designed for the Super Nintendo port to allow it to run the game and all the crazy effects that came with it. The arcades are a dying breed now so we don't see crazy arcade games compared to consoles anymore. Otherwise you could probably expect Capcom to be charging even more for their games lol.

Well to be fair, a controller than was a small piece of plastic and some buttons, now we have motion sensors, rumble motors, wireless stuff built in, analog sticks, and now one with a screen built in. I'm not sure what all that stuff cost, but I imagine they cost at least 2x the amount they did prior to make.

Well last time I checked the prices MS was paying for their controller parts it averaged out to about $10 for their wireless controllers. That was around the time the PS3 came out. I'm not sure how much it costs them now. It could have risen too since then.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
As far as 1996 me is concerned, the $10 Giga Pet is the most attractive item in the ad. I was way into those things for a bit there.

Mahonay

Banned
It is weird just how clearly I remember this ad. I used to always take the ad section out of the paper every Sunday to read comics, and to look at games on sale at Toys R' Us. I was particularly glued to this beauty, so to speak.

Such an amazing time, all of these games seemed ridiculously cutting edge to me as a kid. It all kind of felt like magic. My more privileged neighborhood friend had most of the consoles since launch, therefor I spent most of my time at his house.

I believe it was the following Christmas of 97' when my parents got me a used PS1 at Funco Land. They got Crash Bandicoot 2, and Need For Speed 2 along with it. Proceeded to play the living bejesus out of both of them. No one should have ever played NFS2 as much as I did...

At least Crash 2 was an awesome game.

That was my senior year in high school. Oh god.

I was 11 when this ad came out.

Look at the bullshots nintendo used for their Mario on the first page :p

And let's have some name drops here for the informed (and I am uninformed). Can anyone name the athletes featured on the cover of:

• NHL 97
  • NHL Faceoff 97
  • NBA 97
  • Sega World Series Baseball 96
  • NFL Gameday 97
  • College Football 97
    And Finally
  • The madden 97 announcer

College Football 97 - Tommie Frazier, who should have won the Heisman in 1995 if he didn't have blood clots that made him sit out 1/4th of the season. :(

terrisus

God, I wanted Neo Geo so badly back then.

Now I have one. Childhood dream ACCOMPLISHED.

I remember I was in a private school the year after the Neo Geo came out, and, even in a school that cost a bunch of money to attend, and so most of the parents were obviously fairly well-to-do, I only knew one person who got a Neo Geo that year. The rest of us, of course, got SNESs.

One of these days, though, I'll get a Neo Geo anyway.

abadguy

Banned
I wonder if the people who spent $199.99 for any of those terrible early Neo Geo games, pictured in this ad, feel any regret today.

I remember really wanting a Neo Geo, but i knew not to dare ask my parents for it. I could picture pops laughing his ass off at me after i ask for a 600 dollar console with games that cost 200 bucks each. I was happy with my Genesis/Turbo Graphix 16 combo.

Only knew one person who actually owned one around my neighborhood( and i am pretty sure i was the only person there with a TG16) this one kid who's parents were obviously well off and willing to buy it for him.

Also funny seeing that 1996 Best Buy ad, honestly i had no idea they even existed Back Then. Don't remember seeing any commercials for them or anything before 2000, biggest electronic store chain i remember at the time was The Wiz.

Eusis

the US version of the SNES was fucking hideous. PAL version is too sexy

549px-PAL-SNES.png
That's because they decided they HAD to redesign the system from Japan to NA, whereas for Europe they clearly went "Fuck it, just give it the Super Nintendo branding and call it a day". I do wonder why they thought they had to redesign it like that when the original seemed be a more than acceptable design, I guess the button changes may've at least had the logic of distingushing Y/X better and not being "too colorful" for the US, but no one bothered to keep that cupped design anyway and it didn't stop the N64/GC from having colorful buttons.

Booties

Banned
I remember renting the n64 from block buster with mariokart. It was only for three days but in those three days I feel like I lived more life than any other kid in the world

Fast forward 9 or 10 years to college and my roommate still has a foam fitted suitcase for his system so we could play in our dorms. Good times.

Also, fuck you Reddit

I got an N64 at launch... first system I ever got at launch and only because my mom got a large influx of income in a one off.

I bought Killer Instinct Gold off a friend for about 60 bucks.

Blast Corps Used for $50 straight cash at J n L here in NYC, back when it was in the Elizabeth mall.

I got REAL lucky with Pilotwings, it was on sale at the Wiz for 39.99. After exhausting the fuck out of Super Mario 64 I needed a new game and luckily had enough money saved.

I bought Doom 64, launch day, for 74.99 + tax. Fucking nuts.

Booties

Banned
I got an N64 at launch... first system I ever got at launch and only because my mom got a large influx of income in a one off.

I bought Killer Instinct Gold off a friend for about 60 bucks.

Blast Corps Used for $50 straight cash at J n L here in NYC, back when it was in the Elizabeth mall.

I got REAL lucky with Pilotwings, it was on sale at the Wiz for 39.99. After exhausting the fuck out of Super Mario 64 I needed a new game and luckily had enough money saved.

I bought Doom 64, launch day, for 74.99 + tax. Fucking nuts.

Dude how do you exhaust Mario 64? I watched an lp on something awful where the OP 100%'ed the game with his feet.

My parents bought me an N64 with Super Mario 64 for Christmas. I will never forget hoisting the N64 box over my head yelling "I got a Nintendo 64! I got a Nintendo 64!". My parents are awesome.

For me personally, 1996-2000 was the perfect storm of me being the right age, and amazing new experiences from a rapidly changing games industry. What a fantastic time to be a gamer!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Nostalgia overload for me. I remember going through this TRU catalog debating which of the three consoles I would eventually end up. I ended up getting a N64 right before my 8th bday.

Times were simpler back then. :(

Afrikan

buy an unopened game that is on clearance at Good Guys for $10.... go to Toys R Us and get $50 worth of Geoffrey Money...and get a new game.

back then as a kid, I had to hustle.......there was no such thing as allowance in our house hold.

Development costs, not inflation, are to blame for this generation.

But wow at SNES/Genesis prices not dropping even though that generation was done. Or maybe it was just TRU. I remember grabbing Super Mario Kart for $50 from Babbage's in early '93, when it was still pretty new.

Xzeon

Banned
i saw this on Tumblr first actually.

i love how much you guys hate reddit, it amuses me.

anyways, i wish i could go back in time and buy all this awesome stuff. :(

PC Gaijin

Yeah, prices now aren't so bad. My first "next-gen" system was a TurboGrafx-16 in 1989. It was the last system my parents bought for me, $200 (about $370 in today's dollars). Bought the CD player the next year with earnings from my first job. It was 400 freaking dollars in 1990. That's about $700 in today's dollars! Insane to think I bought that when I was a teenager, but I lived for games back then.

Typical Turbo game prices circa 1989-1990:

2 megabit - $50
3 megabit - $60
4 megabit - $70
CD games - $50-62

I had the strange fortune of living near a game rental place that actually rented Turbo games (even the CD games), so I didn't buy many games until years later. The rental store was an odd one; I think the owner must have had a thing for underdog systems. Besides renting out Turbo games they also had a ton of Sega Master System stuff back when it was getting clobbered by the NES. It was a place in College Station, Texas called "Floppy Joes" if anyone happened to be going to Texas A&M back then and remembers.

mokeyjoe

Bought an N64 in 97 with the money from my first job, I think I got it as soon as it dropped to £99. I got it with Starfox 64 and ISS64 I think. Or maybe it was Blast Corps.

Cartridges were really expensive, even more so in the UK than the US. I think this is why I was largely a computer gamer until I got my N64.

Top Bottom