• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papers, Please |OT| Glory to Arstotzka!

DrBo42

Yeah, I get that in the case of mismatched names. If it comes back with no aliases or something I nail them. In this case it was a bad photo but the fingerprints came back with the right name so I don't see what the discrepancy is. I've had this problem a few times so I'm not sure if it is a bug or I'm doing something wrong with mismatched names

You checked the fingerprints he gives you against the fingerprints from the state, right? They're two different documents.

Karakand

:lol

map.png

To be fair, that was in Alpha 0.1.1, I don't think the game even had terrorists implemented back then (though he had them planned already). It was half exploring the game's mechanics and half defying what the game told me to do, but my first reaction was indeed "fuck the system, entry permits for everyone!"

The game has advanced past this stage since then and has become more complex - which forces me to balance following my rebellious first instinct or staying a good Arstotzkan lapdog. I've noticed myself becoming much more suspicious about people and their behaviour once the mistakes start piling up and a sick family back home starts to increase the pressure.

If you really engage with the game and let that happen, it's doing a tremendous job forcing you into a (for me) very uncomfortable mindset.

Thanks for the clarification! I agree that the game has great little ways of making you feel very uncomfortable if you're willing to role-play along with it (the game doesn't go out of its way to make you feel invested in your family, for example).

The first time I let through the
suicide bomber
even though all their paperwork appeared in order I was gutted. :(

Amazing game.

I was on my final warning and so I had to let the human trafficker through or my uncle and son would die. Didn't end up making enough to save the uncle, and my son died the day after.

If you inspect the
letter
from the
sex worker
and connect it to that person's name you can
have the human trafficker detained
with no penalty. Win-win scenario (unless you're role playing as a dissident).

dukope

Neo Member
Oh, not sure why I thought you only get paid for letting people in. That makes sense. Regarding the dialog, I get where you're coming from but it seems no matter what I do I get cited:
http://i.imgur.com/1dDD5nR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/q6qWXt1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6pGCoZK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Um1JT49.jpg

Shit. Sorry, this is just another stupid bug. The duration speech discrepancy doesn't get cleared properly after you interrogate. Will fix for final. Thanks for the pics.

You can go back and change your name to hers if you're feeling generous. Of the nearly 500 entries, only 39 are women. Any submitted girl's name will have a much higher chance of showing up with the random selection.

But my username in the game would be a hilarious ego trip!

Oh well, ok changing name to my sister's :p

dukope

Neo Member
But my username in the game would be a hilarious ego trip!

Oh well, ok changing name to my sister's :p

Actually you don't have to worry about anything, Messofanego. I'm definitely putting your name in the game as a thanks for this thread, the GiantBomb stuff, etc. You're free to change your current submission to your sister's since "Messof Anegovych" will be in the game regardless.

Actually you don't have to worry about anything, Messofanego. I'm definitely putting your name in the game as a thanks for this thread, the GiantBomb stuff, etc. You're free to change your current submission to your sister's since "Messof Anegovych" will be in the game regardless.

What?! Wow. That's crazy talk lol. Too kind, man.

btw you should do some marketing or shilling to websites, however indie devs get the word spread on their games. It would be nice to have the buzz of a game with social commentary or art game cred and be a fun game at the same time, which is a rarity.

Mik2121

I know I will probably be alone on this, but... I would pay money to play this on my iPad. The buttons are the perfect size, and it would be fun to play around moving the documents on top of your table with just your fingers rather than having to click around all the time.

Oh, and one thing I would change if it were myself, is the "NEXT!" button. I like how everything is so nicely represented on the booth where you work, yet to call the next person instead of pressing a button on your booth, you just click the top image... I would probably put the button below the shutter handle thing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey, great you are onboard here! Really nice to know that the effort some others and me are putting into the Indie Games thread and the follow up threads seems to pay off for developers as well. Gaf is a huge platform for these kind of games, if you get people to listen to you. Its a bit like talking to a wall, but its awesome to see that the big Indie Games thread qnd follow up individual thread for this game actually made enough impact to affect a developer :)
I hope some other games that got attention in that thread will get a few more fans as well. Currently, I am struggling wit throwing Factorio at people here. Sometimes it really feels like you are throwing yourself against a brickwall with these Indie game threads, and it seems like it barely has an impact for the dev himself.

dukope, are you doing anything on the clutter front?

It's hard having a rule book out, stamps, passports, entry permits, transcripts as they start to form layers and feels like I'm playing desk tetris as they start to form layers. Maybe changing the sizes of either the left counter, or the books?

Totakeke

Great premise which I believe a lot of people can relate to.

It's hard having a rule book out, stamps, passports, entry permits, transcripts as they start to form layers and feels like I'm playing desk tetris as they start to form layers. Maybe changing the sizes of either the left counter, or the books?

Rule book should be on its own window though. I doubt there's anyone that doesn't need it open. The current method definitely contributes to how intense the whole situation is though. :)

This also feels like a perfect game for the 3DS.

Maybe some auto snap-in function. You only pull the pieces of interest to the left and they get arranged automatically for you.

Koomaster

I'm probably the odd one out on this, but I like the clutter. Gives a sense of overall feel for the job. Lot's of things to crosscheck and reference and paperwork to look over. Sometimes you can start to feel 'AHHHH!!!' with all the paperwork, but that's the job.

What I usually do is scan all paperwork for obvious mistakes (Date/Picture/Seals) I can catch. If I can't find any then I just handle one piece at a time. I'll look over the work permit since you just have to make sure the Seal is right, the name is right and the duration is correct. Once I know that's good I just hand it back to the immigrant and move on to the travel document and if that checks out, hand that back and then all I'm left is the passport.

Extraneous things like notes/cards/fingerprints given to me, once I have read or am done with them I put them on the far corner of the desk out of my way.

Like any task you just have to find your rhythm for doing things.

Also I've played 3 times now and have pretty much gotten the memory of city/country names. Since I think the game is going to be 30 days (is that correct) long, players will probably start learning them before things get too intense so you won't need to look in the book all the time. I still like it open on my desk. I usually keep the book in the background just in case I need it to highlight a rule. :p

Majukun

really good game.

my entire family died in the same day (around the fifth day i think)
is humanly possible to scan more than 7 people a day?

Haunted

really good game.

my entire family died in the same day (around the fifth day i think)
is humanly possible to scan more than 7 people a day?
Absolutely. You have to unleash your inner bureaucrat!

If you inspect the
letter
from the
sex worker
and connect it to that person's name you can
have the human trafficker detained
with no penalty. Win-win scenario (unless you're role playing as a dissident).
wow, I didn't know that was possible.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm probably the odd one out on this, but I like the clutter. Gives a sense of overall feel for the job. Lot's of things to crosscheck and reference and paperwork to look over. Sometimes you can start to feel 'AHHHH!!!' with all the paperwork, but that's the job.

What I usually do is scan all paperwork for obvious mistakes (Date/Picture/Seals) I can catch. If I can't find any then I just handle one piece at a time. I'll look over the work permit since you just have to make sure the Seal is right, the name is right and the duration is correct. Once I know that's good I just hand it back to the immigrant and move on to the travel document and if that checks out, hand that back and then all I'm left is the passport.

Extraneous things like notes/cards/fingerprints given to me, once I have read or am done with them I put them on the far corner of the desk out of my way.

Also I've played 3 times now and have pretty much gotten the memory of city/country names. Since I think the game is going to be 30 days (is that correct) long, players will probably start learning them before things get too intense so you won't need to look in the book all the time. I still like it open on my desk. I usually keep the book in the background just in case I need it to highlight a rule. :p

I agree. Definitely keep the clutter, I think it's part of the charm of the game, having a desk that's inadequately small and having to detect the smallest inconsistency while juggling between documents is exactly what an oppressive government would expect from you.

If anything, you should be thankful you were provided with a desk at all. And a chance to work for the glorious Arstotzkan government. And class-8 living arrangements.

Haunted

Maybe some auto snap-in function. You only pull the pieces of interest to the left and they get arranged automatically for you.
No way!

I think the feeling of clutter, the danger of being overwhelmed with paperwork and just having to work with the limited space you have on a small countertop is imperative to that shitty-Eastern-European-border-booth-in-the-80s feeling.

edit: Fireblend *high five*

Kaldea

Awesome game. I'll have to play more when I get more time off work.

I submitted a name to add to the female choices. :D

Majukun

do you get penalized if you deny the passage to some people without checking what is wrong?
that old guy is fun,but every time is just wasting my precious time.

fantastic game/demo so far. Would be nice if there was some keyboard shortcuts to flip through your guidebook quicker. Are there any benefits to detaining guys vs just denying them?

what does closing your blinders do?

Do the whore business card and that weird 'prophecy' card do anything?

The AHHHH reminds me of Enviro Bear 2000 hehe
eb%20ss%201.gif

I probably should get around to memorising the issuing cities, like a good Arstotzkan. They're really my main hassle, having to quickly press the bookmark on the rule book each time to get to the start. Later days, rules became more important for Kolechians.

My method currently is also check for the right date/picture/entry permit and checking issue city last. But if I can memorise them, it'll be one big thing over with.

I like the intensity, I just want to go through as many people as I can in a day! Getting at least 8 without mistakes is a good feeling.

dukope

Neo Member
dukope, are you doing anything on the clutter front?...
...If anything, you should be thankful you were provided with a desk at all. And a chance to work for the glorious Arstotzkan government. And class-8 living arrangements.

This exactly. Managing the paperwork in limited space is half the fun for me. Shuffling all the papers around, making different things visible, etc. The game was originally going to have fixed columns and no shuffling at all but by the time of the very first rough test I knew the game was going to be freeform drag-n-drop.

And if you think it's cramped now, try the Alpha version. The Ministry of Admission is downright generous with the current desk dimensions.

fantastic game/demo so far. Would be nice if there was some keyboard shortcuts to flip through your guidebook quicker.

That's a good idea!

Are there any benefits to detaining guys vs just denying them? what does closing your blinders do? Do the whore business card and that weird 'prophecy' card do anything?

You get paid the same for detaining and denying. Detaining just gives you a little extra peace of mind. Some story threads have different outcomes depending on what you do though.

Closing the shutters manually doesn't do anything. I was thinking about having the person get agitated but haven't implemented it yet and may not.

The Pink Vice cards just tie certain entrants together and don't have a use on their own. The EZIC card can be given to someone to move a story thread along.

do you get penalized if you deny the passage to some people without checking what is wrong?

Nope. However you arrive at your conclusion, if there's an obvious error, you can deny without interrogating. This goes for dialog mistakes (ignoring the bug in Beta) and stuff like invalid-looking-but-correct gender. You can be a thorough inspector and interrogate on these issues (which may clear them for entry), or be lazy and kick em out to move on to the next entrant.

khaaan

I feel like I'm missing something or some aspect. I think I've verified everything and stamped "approved" on it but the person wont leave. This has happened a bunch of times and I always end up restarting.

Really interesting concept though, I'm enjoying myself.

Are the suicide bombers mandatory story beats? Like is there a way to prevent them? Or do they have invalid paperwork that I missed or something.

Is there a story reason why you go all terminator vision when you investigate ;)

Guy on the 3rd day walks up and doesn't give me any papers. I figure it's a bug.

Game is quite interesting. Looking forward to a final release.

Majukun

Guy on the 3rd day walks up and doesn't give me any papers. I figure it's a bug.

Game is quite interesting. Looking forward to a final release.

it's not.

just open the rules book,point the rule that everyone must have a passport and then point the empty desk in front of the guy

I feel like I'm missing something or some aspect. I think I've verified everything and stamped "approved" on it but the person wont leave. This has happened a bunch of times and I always end up restarting.

Really interesting concept though, I'm enjoying myself.

did you give back all the documents to the guy?

it's not.

just open the rules book,point the rule that everyone must have a passport and then point the empty desk in front of the guy
Eh, then they need to add some sort of hint for that in the final version. Game didn't prepare me for it at all. Thanks I can play some more later now.

dukope

Neo Member
Are the suicide bombers mandatory story beats? Like is there a way to prevent them? Or do they have invalid paperwork that I missed or something.

The first suicide bomber is scripted. Their docs are in order at that time, which is why mandatory searching is instituted.

Is there a story reason why you go all terminator vision when you investigate ;)

"Looks cool"

Eh, then they need to add some sort of hint for that in the final version. Game didn't prepare me for it at all. Thanks I can play some more later now.

The second page of the bulletin gives explicit instructions but I think the problem is that many people miss that there's even a second (and third, and sometimes fourth) page there with extra information. I'll make this more clear in the final release.

sangreal

Shit. Sorry, this is just another stupid bug. The duration speech discrepancy doesn't get cleared properly after you interrogate. Will fix for final. Thanks for the pics.

Glad to help; can't wait for the final version. I've been replaying the beta seeing how much money I can save up. Not much, although I have managed to keep my family OK throughout

On the savings screen there are a bunch of outlines for items on the left hand side. I've gotten one of them for betraying my duty to the great nation of Arstozka, but I'm wondering if the rest are in the beta?

Interesting game, and dare I say, fun.

A few questions though:

There was one guy who said he was in transit, and the permit said visit. When you interrogate him, he says, "That's right, I'm visiting." So I denied his lying ass, then I got a citation because he was cleared for approval? What the hell?

Also, has anyone actually approved the crazy old guy, and what happens if you do? Do you get fired right away or something? And does he show up again after you approve him?

Do visitors ever have discriptencies with their dialogue and their visit permit thing? I'm pretty sure the instructions said that, but I've never encountered it.

Are all the npcs and their paperwork randomized?

JesseZao

What a Glorious Indie! Can't wait for the official release! I bet if you did a kickstarter for this with tickets/permits/seedy biz cards/passports/rule book you'd fund 1000%. Very inspired. I really like the art/style.

I would love for a more versatile Warioware DIY type game to experiment with making these sorts of puzzlers (albiet very simplified). If only I knew how to code.

HoodWinked

Do visitors ever have discriptencies with their dialogue and their visit permit thing? I'm pretty sure the instructions said that, but I've never encountered it.

Are all the npcs and their paperwork randomized?

yes. there are. you point out the differences in the audio log.

HoodWinked

the hell? If I let a terrorist go through with valid papers, she will kill the soldiers, if I don't let her in, then I get penalties.

Also, the stupid invalid date always gets me.

its probably intentional and i think for two reasons. to allow for the more interesting events of the game to have a higher likelihood to occur and also show that papers won't necessarily catch every issue. maybe theres even some hidden unobvious interrogation angle you could use to detain her.

there is some rng in the game but some parts of the game are scripted for each day.

billsmugs

I've only got up to day 8 so far, but I'm definitely liking it and looking forward to the full game. How many days are in the current beta? Also, my son sure is a sickly child, Arstotzka needs some sort of National Health Service because that medicine is expensive :p

If someone has a major discrepancy (eg passport number, name etc) is it worth interrogating them or is it better to save time and just deny them access right away?

Also, despite how unlikely it probably is to happen, seeing as the dev is here and people are naming platforms I'd like to say that I'd love to see this on Vita. Maybe through PlayStation Mobile? The only issue would be the small screen for touch inputs, but maybe there could be a few button prompts for certain things (eg opening the stamp menu, calling the next person, doing a search etc)?

In terms of things that could be changed, it could possibly benefit from pointing out more clearly the sources of information (eg the height chart on the wall) and the highlight-able information (eg date on entry tickets-I was just selecting the whole ticket at first, rather than the date field, and I got a warning as a result).

Koomaster

Closing the shutters manually doesn't do anything.
Makes me feel good and that's enough. :p

I usually immediately close the shutters if someone doesn't hand me all the appropriate paperwork up front. Why are you trying to cross the border and not hand your passport? *shutters closed* Then I ask for the passport and watch as they have to slide it under the shutters. Will they get it back; will their paperwork all be in order? They don't know what I'm doing behind the shutters. I press the loudspeaker button to announce "Have Your Documents Ready" so everyone outside knows and the person inside gets nervous. Don't waste my time immigrants!

Breaks up my day to go on a power trip every once in a while with someone.

Makes me feel good and that's enough. :p

I usually immediately close the shutters if someone doesn't hand me all the appropriate paperwork up front. Why are you trying to cross the border and not hand your passport? *shutters closed* Then I ask for the passport and watch as they have to slide it under the shutters. Will they get it back; will their paperwork all be in order? They don't know what I'm doing behind the shutters. I press the loudspeaker button to announce "Have Your Documents Ready" so everyone outside knows and the person inside gets nervous. Don't waste my time immigrants!

Breaks up my day to go on a power trip every once in a while with someone.

ibyWjlJPqlZ6BA.gif

SO GOOD

Game should have the tagline: "Unleashing the ultra nationalist in you!"

Well, we know one thing: Apple would absolutely be opposed to put a "serious game" like this on their marketplace.

Sweatshop HD is the latest victim in Apple's war on serious games
Littleloud's head of games, Simon Parkin, told Pocket Gamer that "Apple removed Sweatshop from the App Store last month stating that it was uncomfortable selling a game based around the theme of running a sweatshop."

"Apple specifically cited references in the game to clothing factory managers 'blocking fire escapes', 'increasing work hours for labour', and issues around the child labour as reasons why the game was unsuitable for sale."

"Littleloud amended the app to clarify that Sweatshop is a work of fiction and was created with the fact-checking input of charity Labor Behind the Label, and to emphasise that the game doesn't force players to play the game in one way or another. Rather, Sweatshop is a sympathetic examination of the pressures that all participants in the sweatshop system endure."

So, if you want to experience it, you'll have to play the free Flash version.

Shit makes my blood boil.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wow, having a complete blast with this beta. This game reminds me of time when we had stupidly strict border controls and brought up some memories from 20 years ago :)

taoofjord

The game is just amazing. Not only is it fun, but it also has the potential to make people think about things they might not have otherwise. Definitely one of the latest and best examples of why indie games and smaller projects with a strong vision are (and always have) been so important.

Thinking about mentioning this game in my powerpoint on Socialist Realist art to make it less dull. Assuming that video games can be art, do you think this game could be an example of Socalist Realism?

Thinking about mentioning this game in my powerpoint on Socialist Realist art to make it less dull. Assuming that video games can be art, do you think this game could be an example of Socalist Realism?

Isn't this more fascist or communist than socialist?

Someone with politics education will probably sort this question out.

Karakand

Since it's neither typical (I mean this literally, the game is about fictional people in a fictional place facing the consequences of fictional governments and a fictional war) and is not supportive of a particular workers' party or state, I wouldn't say it is.

However you could certainly use it as an example of the lingering effects of socialist realism's decades of hegemony in anti-bourgeois art. When someone goes to make something creative about the Soviet experience, they don't usually reach for Mayakovsky, Shostakovich, Rodchenko or Ilf & Petrov as an inspirational template.

I downloaded this last night and tried playing it, but all I got was a black screen and the music playing in the background.

I'm running Windows 7 if that matters.

dukope

Neo Member
When someone goes to make something creative about the Soviet experience, they don't usually reach for Mayakovsky, Shostakovich, Rodchenko or Ilf & Petrov as an inspirational template.

The last time I reached for Rodchenko, he slapped my hand. Orwell was much nicer.

I downloaded this last night and tried playing it, but all I got was a black screen and the music playing in the background.

How long did you wait? There's a few seconds of music + black screen at the start. You can click the mouse to skip this intro. Aside from that, it might be a fullscreen/windowing problem. Try ALT+ENTER to toggle. Maybe that'll jar it back into working. If it still doesn't work, do you mind telling me what videocard you've got?

Top Bottom