• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papers, Please |OT| Glory to Arstotzka!

dukope

Neo Member
If the story is expanded and the game becomes less broken then I'd be down for this. Currently though, the money you make by rejecting everyone instantly outweighs the penalties you receive and still leave plenty for rent and such.

I'll fix this for final. After 5 citations or so on a single day it'll be game over. Pretend it's fixed when you play the beta :)

It seems the public servers for downloading the beta is down, as I can't download it. Sounds pretty interesting though, so I'll make sure to check it out when they're up again.

Dropbox has some of my money now. Should be back up!

Jackson

This is a great little game Dukope. It's done so well already!

A few notes though --

With such a minimalist design approach the cards and the shutter lever having no purposes felt underused. I'd get rid of them or give them purpose. I thought that weird guy was a suicide bomber as he was talking about the greatest of the country so much I slammed the shutter closed. The problem is your game makes so much ado about minor details that when you give frivolous options my first thought is they must be important.

Also it'd be great to get rewarded for detaining vs denying. Detaining makes guards work harder, maybe they give you a kick back.

Lastly, I lacked attachment to the meta game. You play each round for 10-15 minutes and then see your dying family for 30 seconds. All while on a black menu screen vs a beautifully bleak work day world. So for me, unless everyone dying causes me to game over I just don't care because I don't put the time in to care. And having them game over would be tough to swallow unless you're going for a rogue-like experience. I'd rather they die and that bothers me, than it makes me replay from the start.

But if I did care about my family it could lead to all kinds of new options... If I cared about my family by watching them slowly die, that would open up options for bribery. Obviously with a nasty chance of getting caught and losing money. Also would be interesting to use the shutter to stop people pulling guns/bombs on you as I discussed early, and if you don't you can miss work as a penalty as you recover.

Overall the game was very fresh and well executed.

Anyway, just some fun ideas. Feel free to completely ignore everything I said... You're the artist! :p
I'll definitely be pimping this game out to others to check out for sure.

dukope

Neo Member
With such a minimalist design approach the cards and the shutter lever having no purposes felt underused. I'd get rid of them or give them purpose. I thought that weird guy was a suicide bomber as he was talking about the greatest of the country so much I slammed the shutter closed. The problem is your game makes so much ado about minor details that when you give frivolous options my first thought is they must be important.

The shutter will get more use in the final. Pretty much as you describe, but I'm actually using it in the latest beta (0.5.7) for that guy exactly. For "cards" I think you mean the brothel and ezic cards? Those kinds of things will also become more and more important and even in the basic form now they allow me to do a lot more with the story elements.

Also it'd be great to get rewarded for detaining vs denying. Detaining makes guards work harder, maybe they give you a kick back.

Yeah you're right that there should be some differentiation between deny/detain. Gonna try attaching a small bonus to it.

So for me, unless everyone dying causes me to game over I just don't care because I don't put the time in to care. And having them game over would be tough to swallow unless you're going for a rogue-like experience. I'd rather they die and that bothers me, than it makes me replay from the start.

It will probably just game over when they die. You can always continue from the start of the current day to try again. There'll be scripted night-time events to draw a little more out of the family, but I'm inclined to keep it very minimal.

Thanks for the comments and ideas!

Dremark

Banned
The second page of the bulletin gives explicit instructions but I think the problem is that many people miss that there's even a second (and third, and sometimes fourth) page there with extra information. I'll make this more clear in the final release.

I would put an in game hint in too. Nothing that's really holding the player's hand though.

Maybe if you sit there for a while have the guy say something like "What's taking so long? Are you investigating the desk or something?"

sohois

The shutter will get more use in the final. Pretty much as you describe, but I'm actually using it in the latest beta (0.5.7) for that guy exactly. For "cards" I think you mean the brothel and ezic cards? Those kinds of things will also become more and more important and even in the basic form now they allow me to do a lot more with the story elements.

Yeah you're right that there should be some differentiation between deny/detain. Gonna try attaching a small bonus to it.

It will probably just game over when they die. You can always continue from the start of the current day to try again. There'll be scripted night-time events to draw a little more out of the family, but I'm inclined to keep it very minimal.

Thanks for the comments and ideas!

Regarding the deny/detain thing, do you plan to make the bonus conditional on the detainee being really bad, i.e. a bomber or a criminal, or will everyone who has something wrong with their papers result in a bonus for being detained.

And, if the latter option, would you insert some kind of representation of the detaining. Since this is a repressive, autocratic country one assumes that those detained are going to be tortured and/or killed regardless of them being major criminals or innocent people who made a mistake. Some players will naturally imagine such consequences which will act as an automatic deterrent to just taking the bonus, but for others such a thought won't spring to them and it will seem as though detaining is just free money.

I thought that weird guy was a suicide bomber as he was talking about the greatest of the country so much I slammed the shutter closed. The problem is your game makes so much ado about minor details that when you give frivolous options my first thought is they must be important.

This this this. I thought I was alone on this thought. I frantically went to click the shutter door for some cover, expecting him to blow up. You know, what would be cool is if he pulled a gun on you and if you don't shutter it fast enough you get shot and end up having to skip the day for a hospital visit or something, I dont know hahah. Just throwing things out there :D. I just got done with the beta as I closed it all excited to not play anymore so I can just give it all my time when I buy it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Almost got to the end.
But I have a lot of fun noticing how last names are spelled differently, how an ID might have a different number than the work permit. So I don't know if the emotional or social points are actually driven home enough.

I think that's sort of a hidden point, you depersonalize these NPC's further by focusing on the gamey aspects to the point that when you notice they have the wrong city as an issuer of their passport instead of looking for a way to give them a pass you just grin and think "hehehe sneaky sneaky but no one out wits me!" despite the fact they may have just told you they'll die if they don't go through.

Giant Bomb played this on Unprofessional Fridays (April 19th, 2013). Skip to 26:39. If you're a subscriber, you absolutely must watch their segment because it's goddamn hilarious and entertaining to see their reactions.

Jeff and Drew, a duo that makes Arstotzka proud!

ibn5Qd4AQ9XtwN.gif

Jintor

I got it for a month just to get that Unprofessional Fridays for Papers, Please. Glad I did, their playthrough was hilarious. I could put it on youtube, if you want.

nah i'll wait for a sale. Want to rewatch the North Korea Gaming Extravaganza again.

Just wanted to say thanks and congratulations to Dukope for making such an awesome game. I voted for it as one of my top five on Toma's indie thread back in March, and after seeing it was on Greenlight I was going to do likewise, until I realized I already had done so. :D

LegoArmo

Just played through the beta, I absolutely loved it, so simple yet engaging. I didn't seem to have much problem keeping my family fed, warm and in good health though.

successfully made it all 8 days with no deaths and some money to spare. game is awesome; can't wait for the full version.

@dukope - is there any plan to have a "speed" setting? i actually wanted the opportunity to check more people per day (because it's fun). i understand this has serious ramifications on the way the game's economy would work, but maybe there could be different levels of...servitude (difficulty) that allows you to check more people per day at a lower rate per person.

HIGHEST OF GLORIES TO ARSTOTZKA.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I downloaded the beta after seeing it on Unprofessional Fridays on Giantbomb. I really hope it gets greenlit and can't wait to play the final product. Surprisingly fun!

Madouu

I just tried the game and the concept is really fantastic (even though I'm appantly really bad at it).

It resonates a bit with me since I have had to go through a lot of administrative/immigration stuff throughout my life and still do. Luckily it wasn't as drastic as in the game, but still it definitely takes a big toll on you.

Karkador

Banned
Although the tone is quite different, this game kinda feels like what Ace Attorney is to lawyering. That's a really good thing.

Jasconius

Woohoo, just saw this on the steam greenlight page:
4IHjizh.png

Endless Mode!

Now I can quit my job and fulfill my dreams of being an Arstotzkan border guard for the rest of my life!

ElFly

Just played this. Damn it's a great game.

I think the search option should not be hidden; in the day where you must not search all the dirty kolechians, I would have searched one if the option had been available to me; but I had to go through the correlate-rules-with-violations mechanics, and since the rule was gone, my ass was saved.

MisterC20XX

I tried the beta for the first time this afternoon. This game is more engrossing and intense than the last several $60.00 games I've played. It gave me the experience I love most about great games: I forgot I was playing a game. I am sold beyond sold. Amazing!

Neverfade

I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious, but I sat there all day trying to figure it out: When someone needs a entry ticket along with their visa but doesn't immediately give you one, how do you pair up that discrepancy? Click the rule and what else?

Ventrue

I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious, but I sat there all day trying to figure it out: When someone needs a entry ticket along with their visa but doesn't immediately give you one, how do you pair up that discrepancy? Click the rule and what else?

Select the entry ticket rule and the counter where the documents go.

Soi-Fong

Really looking forward to getting this on Steam. Such an amazing premise and incredible execution.

I submitted my name and my gf's name, but it might already be late, but whatever.. Lol

mattp

i agree with wanting to keep the nighttime/family stuff brief and simple. but maybe something to make it a LITTLE more effective? pictures of the family members faces when their sick
and some kind of punishment for letting them get sick or die, beyond the emotional one. i'm not sure what/how though. i dont think just having game over when the family dies fits the mood of the game.

i agree with wanting to keep the nighttime/family stuff brief and simple. but maybe something to make it a LITTLE more effective? pictures of the family members faces when their sick
and some kind of punishment for letting them get sick or die, beyond the emotional one. i'm not sure what/how though. i dont think just having game over when the family dies fits the mood of the game.

The emotional hook is what the game really hinges on though. You've got people pleading with you to let them through for various reasons when all you really need to do is stick to the rules. I don't think you need any more impetus than that.

mattp

The emotional hook is what the game really hinges on though. You've got people pleading with you to let them through for various reasons when all you really need to do is stick to the rules. I don't think you need any more impetus than that.
yeah I should reword that. I think it needs more a further emotional hook, which pictures might help with? I'm not sure

LegoArmo

If it needs more of an emotional hook, add in a family dog. If years on the Internet have taught me anything, it's that people get really upset when dog's are hurt.

Inotti

If it needs more of an emotional hook, add in a family dog. If years on the Internet have taught me anything, it's that people get really upset when dog's are hurt.

Oh yes! I'd rather let the uncle die that the family dog! Go to work you lazy uncle!

Top Bottom