• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Yeah...wow, Wrecked is absolutely horrible. Like 2008-on-XBLA horrible. How did they cram so many shitty ideas into one game? Worst camera I've ever seen, controls are floaty and crap, the AI cheats relentlessly with infinite boosts... And that control scheme? Why do I have to break-gas-gas to boost instead of just pressing A?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Fuck Wrecked. 1200pts and 400pts DLC is pathetic. I knew there was a reason the base game had 6 tracks.

Fuck em, I was excited for this. Not even downloading the trial now. It's just greedy and has killed any chance of a community.

Marco1

Fuck Wrecked. 1200pts and 400pts DLC is pathetic. I knew there was a reason the base game had 6 tracks.

Fuck em, I was excited for this. Not even downloading the trial now. It's just greedy and has killed any chance of a community.

I agree, next thing they will say is MS forced them to do it.
No buy for me.

Yes, also that. It has 24 singleplayer "missions," which are unfair and retarded so far, and that's it. 24 missions might sound like a decent amount but that's 24 times "get 3 kills with a machine gun!" or "beat the ghost in a 1 lap race!"

Fuck this game and fuck Microsoft for certifying it. Oh, and the game basically has no demo if you don't have a second controller handy. Bullshit ripoff.

acm2000

Yeah...wow, Wrecked is absolutely horrible. Like 2008-on-XBLA horrible. How did they cram so many shitty ideas into one game? Worst camera I've ever seen, controls are floaty and crap, the AI cheats relentlessly with infinite boosts... And that control scheme? Why do I have to break-gas-gas to boost instead of just pressing A?

crazy taxi waves hello

Apologies, I thought it was released today.

It's Friday for whatever reason, and as far as I know the review embargo is Friday also, some sites could be earlier than that however. Today is meant to be Pinball Arcade, Wrecked and Kung Fu Strike. Though I'm only seeing Wrecked right now, anyone else seen the others?

Corleth the Fey said:
To hell with the rubbish car game and on with the important question. Did Pinball Arcade come out today?
I bought Wrecked because I got bored waiting for the other two, Pinball and Kung Fu Strike. They are MIA so far at least.

crazy taxi waves hello
Crazy Taxi also eats balls, so that's fine.

MrDaravon

I couldn't find a thread for it here at all, does anyone have any impressions after some good time with Shoot Many Robots? I liked the demo but am on the fence, can't seem to find much on the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
6 tracks and 2 via DLC sounds bad, especially if its unlock and not download - thats a third extra game.

But i'll wait to hear what the multiplayer is like. Mashed was never about the single player anyway.

Just a head's up: if anyone is interested in getting South Park: Tenorman's Revenge a few days early, you can get a code from within the season 15 box-set that allows the first 5,000 people who input it into the South Park Studios website to get it for free.

I was able to use my code today and spent an hour or two with the game. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

6 tracks and 2 via DLC sounds bad, especially if its unlock and not download - thats a third extra game.

But i'll wait to hear what the multiplayer is like. Mashed was never about the single player anyway.
The multiplayer has the same stupid camera angle shit, poor controls and physics and all the other flaws. This is a very bad game, especially coming off a few hours of Joe Danger like I am.

I couldn't find a thread for it here at all, does anyone have any impressions after some good time with Shoot Many Robots? I liked the demo but am on the fence, can't seem to find much on the game.
I'm level 50 and nearly got every star in the game (but got bored waiting to find better items to more easily get 5 stars on those last 4 levels) and I think the game is awesome. The unlock system is a bit of a pain, especially if you want the achievement-related items, but everything else works great and is consistently fun.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If anyone is going to PAX, xbox put up a Youtube Playlist of games that will be there and it's mostly XBLA stuff.

So, the big news of this is that we should FINALLY see some new info on Dust: An Elysian Tale? *party*

LoL at the turning on Wrecked. Not something I'm too interested in myself (Kung Fu Strike, Dungeon Fighter, etc for me), but it looked like a somewhat jankier version of the free Doritos "Harms Way" game in some aspects... Except Harm's looked more unique...

TxdoHawk

If anyone is going to PAX, xbox put up a Youtube Playlist of games that will be there and it's mostly XBLA stuff.

No Fire Pro this year. Feels bad man. Also, I wonder why they put MS Flight in that list...it's the PC launch trailer, and the list specifically says "what's coming to Xbox". XBLA version of that would make sense, but there has been no indication it's happening.

OH MY GOD Wrecked is like the worst game so far this year. Holy shit the camera is the worst thing in any game ever. The only good part of it is the fact that it's joke-easy.

Oh wow, it just got even worse. I'm looking at a scoreboard that says "Gold: 00:47:19" and "Personal best: 00:46:63" yet the game says I'm only silver. There is not a single aspect of this game that works properly. What happened to the certification team this year?

Sectus

OH MY GOD Wrecked is like the worst game so far this year. Holy shit the camera is the worst thing in any game ever. The only good part of it is the fact that it's joke-easy.

Are you playing it singleplayer or multiplayer? This is designed as a local multiplayer game, very similar to a Micro Machines. I'm betting they didn't focus very much on the singleplayer. Hopefully online works well.

I haven't had played it much so far, but I'm hoping it lives up to Mashed. I spent a ridiculous amount of hours into the multiplayer for that game.

lol there is day 1 DLC for wrecked. 2 more tracks for 400 points.
Not even trying the demo now.

It's 100MB so it's not DLC you just unlock though. Wasn't it finished and in Partnernet hell for a while? It's getting increasingly common that XBLA games are starting to release with Day 1 DLC because the DLC ends up finished while the game is waiting for a release slot.

MS really needs to sort out approval for next gen because now everyone's on XBLA, it's becoming a massive clusterfuck.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It's 100MB so it's not DLC you just unlock though. Wasn't it finished and in Partnernet hell for a while? It's getting increasingly common that XBLA games are starting to release with Day 1 DLC because the DLC ends up finished while the game is waiting for a release slot.

MS really needs to sort out approval for next gen because now everyone's on XBLA, it's becoming a massive clusterfuck.

Wrecked only passed cert like two weeks ago. There is no excuse for this shitty DLC model.

DJMicLuv

Really enjoying it. Bought it after watching the quicklook but have found a bit more depth in the game than the QL suggested.

There are a ton of fun upgrades, weapons and leveling. The levels are a mixture of Metal Slug style side-scrolling and mini-arenas where you have to survive through waves of bad guys.

In the QL they run and gun a lot but I've found that positioning yourself appropriately on the screen, holding LT to stand firm and then firing at the enemies, along with jumping and mostly sliding to dodge works really well. In general I'll be holding LT for a lot of the game and then sliding for better position rather than releasing LT and running.

It's really enjoyable and I've put maybe 5 or 6 hours in so far and reached level 21 (of 50) and am about 2/3 of the way through the games levels. The star rating on levels also makes revisiting levels (to grind for exp and 'nuts') fun.

For 800pts I'd say it's worthwhile, the power ups/weapons are really varied and the difficulty curve seems really steady.

I'm enjoying it a lot!

Are you playing it singleplayer or multiplayer? This is designed as a local multiplayer game, very similar to a Micro Machines. I'm betting they didn't focus very much on the singleplayer. Hopefully online works well.

I haven't had played it much so far, but I'm hoping it lives up to Mashed. I spent a ridiculous amount of hours into the multiplayer for that game.
Singleplayer, but I don't know why anyone would assume that the complaints listed in my post wouldn't be applicable to multiplayer. It still has the same shitty camera, controls and physics.

And I don't feel like I'm getting my camera complaint across - it truly is the worst camera I've ever seen. It tries to "zoom in on the action" and always fails. When there's a sharp turn, the camera turns to your side making it nigh-impossible to navigate the curve. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Wrecked only passed cert like two weeks ago. There is no excuse for this shitty DLC model.

Supersonic submitted it to Microsoft last November and had to do a re-submission in December. That's a hell of a wait between submission and release and I can easily see Supersonic doing DLC to be ready as Microsoft could have greenlighted them at any minute. Since the DLC was done and submitted, I'd imagine MS and Sony wanted both up at the same time so it wouldn't be taking up slots in later weeks.

The people crying about the DLC boogeyman are getting as annoying as Day 1 DLC itself. Especially as this game does seem to have legitimate DLC, just an unfortunate release date.

I just finished off Wrecked and that was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had in my life. If I had a cent for every time my car has been 3/4 across the checkpoint while the checkpoint chime echoes in my speakers, yet the screen throws up "LOL U FAILED," I'd be having a caviar party on my yacht this weekend. Abysmal, terrible, offensive game. Nobody ever buy it. Throw eggs at Supersonic's offices and cars. The employees too.

Supersonic submitted it to Microsoft last November and had to do a re-submission in December. That's a hell of a wait between submission and release and I can easily see Supersonic doing DLC to be ready as Microsoft could have greenlighted them at any minute. Since the DLC was done and submitted, I'd imagine MS and Sony wanted both up at the same time so it wouldn't be taking up slots in later weeks.

The people crying about the DLC boogeyman are getting as annoying as Day 1 DLC itself. Especially as this game does seem to have legitimate DLC, just an unfortunate release date.
And you think that you defending a game you obviously haven't played yet somehow isn't annoying? The DLC is singleplayer content and the main game comes with a pathetically small amount of singleplayer content. It's the most obvious "held back content" DLC I've seen in a long time.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I just finished off Wrecked and that was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had in my life. If I had a cent for every time my car has been 3/4 across the checkpoint while the checkpoint chime echoes in my speakers, yet the screen throws up "LOL U FAILED," I'd be having a caviar party on my yacht this weekend. Abysmal, terrible, offensive game. Nobody ever buy it. Throw eggs at Supersonic's offices and cars. The employees too.

And you think that you defending a game you obviously haven't played yet somehow isn't annoying? The DLC is singleplayer content and the main game comes with a pathetically small amount of singleplayer content. It's the most obvious "held back content" DLC I've seen in a long time.
lol

If you hated every moment of the game then why would more of it be a good thing?

Micro Machines V4 was actually good so I don't know what happened to Supersonic between then and now.

Gowans

Good job I bought 4800 points on the cheap this week.

FEZ 800
Trials 1200
MineCraft 1600

That only leaves me 1600 to play with.

Misfits

Neo Member
Good job I bought 4800 points on the cheap this week.

FEZ 800
Trials 1200
MineCraft 1600

That only leaves me 1600 to play with.

hitman blood money is 1600 points if you don't have it already. a good investment in my opinion, i also believe a b horror game whose name i can't remember is also 1600 points. the boxart has a monster with a red trench-coat on.

Gowans

Played it Misfits, not in a rush to spend my points. Hoping this Fridays South Park Platformer is ok.

One thing just mentioned in the Fez thread is with South Park and Fez both releasing on a Friday, are we seeing MS mix up XBLA a little? Also Fez the last 200 point game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom