• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is a reasonable commute to work and or college?

My commute is two hours each way. It was easy when I was younger with no wife and kid. I've done it for ten years and now it's a struggle.

You can do it but don't do it as long as I have. It's sad to get home late due to train issues and have zero time to spend with your family.

It’s definitely a long commute OP.

Commute to work is an hour by train, 15 minutes walking. When I was going to college, I drove an hour. Traffic sometimes extended the commute by 30 minutes. For college, driving is cheaper than staying on campus so I would recommend it if you want to save money even if it’s an hour and 30 minutes away. For work, I wouldn’t recommend it. You can definitely do it for a few years, but eventually you’ll get tired of it. Try to move closer if possible

FromAtoX

Ideal 10 to 20 mins. Normal 20 to 40mins. Commuting to/from the city 45mins to 1.25hrs. More than 1.5 hrs is not something that I would consider for any job.

Nuts2U

Driving? I'd never go over 30 min.
Train? I currently do an hour and have no problem with that. I go through a ton of books (not a fan of audio books though).

Yawnier

Banned
45 minutes is the longest I can probably tolerate, and that is one way and in a car.

A job I had a few years ago was about a 2 hour drive away from where I lived and I ended up relocating for it because 4 hours on the road everyday would have been way too much for me. I ended up finding an apartment that was only 5 minutes away from said job though so it ended up working out well.

ty_hot

I do 30-35 minutes now, which is fine but when you break it in pieces it's a piece of shit. I'd rather have a 50min 1bus/metro straight to the Uni than this.

5-min walk
5 min walk or 5 min wait for a bus (2 stops)
up to 7 min wait for the metro
10 min metro (4 stops)
7 min walking uphill (I mean UPHILL)

I just cant really do anything productive because I am constantly changing transit/walking and the wait and travel times are so small. I can read 2 pages of a book in the metro and that is it. (it shows as 2 pages in my chromebook, it is probably 1,5 page in reality though).

not enough time to play my 3ds either. not enough time to watch a tv series episode (or half of it). it sucks.

and because it ends with a uphill walk, I always get there kind of sweaty.

Between a 45 minute and an hour commute, depending on the time of day I have to travel.

2 hours is all kinds of shit, sorry OP.

Chibot

I can't justify more than ~30 minutes each way. Any more than that is really too much of a life/happiness sacrifice for a person like me who works to live. If a job is really worth it I would just move closer.

30 minutes by car at max
60-90 minutes maximum with public transport as long as it's comfortable enough to read/play something

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Everyday commute? 15-30 minutes. Anything longer than that and I'll consider working elsewhere.

Other people have more forgiving thresholds, though.

Ishan

1hr total . But I did do 1hr 45 - 2 , 45 min to an hour each way early in my undergrad . I now prefer 15 but am willing to put up with 30.

slamhk

Neo Member
Also used to have a commute of 2 hours.
I've had to go through it for a half year long and twice in my lifetime.
The first time was okay, mostly public transport (train) and then taking the bus to work (2hrs).
The second time was hell,
Taking the train (1 hour and 30 min) and then driving the car to work (30 min. drive and the car was stationed at a parking garage).
Waking up at 5am and left around 6am. Arriving 8am at work. Doing this 5 days a week, for half a year really makes you numb mentally and physically.
If its only temporarily and not every weekday you'll manage. But if adjustments can be made to shorten your trip you should do so.

Ideally (and maybe realisable for most people) the commute should take around (30-45 min) with public transport/car. Otherwise going to work/college with the bicycle is the best way to do so.

Good luck OP.

2 hours is killer man. My commute to school is probably an hour 20 minutes and tbh I would absolutely hate it if not for my Switch keeping me busy. Probably 30 minutes would be my ideal

I had a 30 minute commute to work and it was about as far as I would ever be able to tolerate. When you start calculating the cost in time and transportation of going every weekday it really adds up

steve9842016

Neo Member
I went from about 60-90 min each way (Niles Fremont to Palo Alto) every day to around ~30-40min each way for work.

Was a big reason for my latest job change, but cutting it down to at least half or more of what it was has been so amazing.

bebop242

I'm spoiled with my current 10-15 min commute.

I had lost my drivers license about 15 years ago and had to:

Walk half a mile to the train station. Ride the train for 15 minutes then walk another 2.5 miles to finally get to work. Because of train schedules I had to leave about 2 hours early. If I was able to drive it would have been 20 min.

My mp3 player kept me sane.

milkham

about an hour each way, anymore than that and I would feel put upon. Check out audible.com and get some audiobooks.

Hour is my spot for basically every college thing or job I have had since leaving school. Currently do 40 minutes and I feel like I have so much extra free time.

I was looking at doing some college courses a while ago and went to a college over 90 minutes away and I dont think I could do that 2x a day.

1.5 hours is my usual. I'm in Surrey but all the work is in central London 😂

I gotta get up at 5 to get to work starting at 7.

I've had commutes that went from 5 minute walk to ones that are 2.5 hour each way involving bus transfer and then carpool. Personally anything more than an hour is a drag.

But since all the good real estate around the city is way too expensive I might have to deal with a longee commute if I ever want a house instead of living in an apartment forver. I think I can tolerate up to an hour and half each way, as long as I can sit down on the train for the most part and be productive on a laptop. I knoe a bunch of people who do that and they still seem sane so far.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I had a 2 hour commute at one point. Straight driving. It sucked. I lasted 2 years.

I had another one that was about an hour. It was a 10 minute drive to the train station, 30 min train ride, and then a 20 minute walk. I didn't mind that one. Riding a train is different. I got to read, surf etc so I didn't mind it.

PillarEN

1.5 hours is my usual. I'm in Surrey but all the work is in central London 😂

I gotta get up at 5 to get to work starting at 7.

Oof. See now that sucks. More power to you if you keep with it, but that's a situation where I would see a negative effect on myself due to commute times.

Pau

40 minutes one way if the MTA doesn't throw a fit. My boyfriend's is closer to an hour. Don't know how he does it. Definitely couldn't do anything more than that.

Mine is currently 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Probably wouldn't do more than 45-hour, and even that would be pushing it I think.

For a couple months before I moved, I was doing 1.5-2 hour commutes with horrible traffic on top of a 10 hour work day. That was no way to live and was basically the worst shit ever.

Costa Kid

My commute is 30-45 mins in normal traffic and up to two hours in peak time traffic. Since I've been able to manipulate my college schedule to be attending and leaving at of-peak hours, I don't mind it.

If it is consistently over 1.5 hours, that's too much. Unless it's short term/temporary.

OEM

1hr each way max for me.

I can rent a place close to work, which would mean 15min walking but then i have to spend a lot on rent. So I am sticking with 1hr commute.

Mine is a little over an hour each way, if the highway traffic isn't horrible. I can't take public transportation unless I take a train to Chicago and then another to Joliet. Thankfully it's only 3 or 4 days a week. I'm dreading winter though.

Azuran

Banned
My subway commute is around 1 hour depending on traffic. I review schoolwork or play games during that time so it's not that bad once I got used to it.

Ogodei

1 hour is about my limit. I'm exceeding that right now (on the evening commute because of traffic) and it's fuck-awful. Have to hope that permanent job in town calls me back by Friday.

I've always made it a point to either...

A) Find a place close to where I live to work. Or,
B) Move closer to a place I work.

Because of this I've never lived more than a 15 minutes commute from a job. At one point I literally worked down the block from where I lived. The only time I had a longer commute was in university in which it was usually 45-60 minutes depending if the bus driver stopped at the station for a break. It was okay then because I had text or paperwork to go over, but I'd hate to do it for longer.

Top Bottom