• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is a reasonable commute to work and or college?

Auctopus

Mine can be between 40-60 minutes depending on traffic. Fuck 2 hours but if you wanna do the course I guess you gotta sacrifice.

Matsukaze

I have a 20 min walk to work in the morning. Helps me waken up and shrug off the last clinging effects of sleep.

After work, I'm usually too lazy to walk back so I hop in a taxi (or if I've gone grocery shopping, gone out for drinks, etc).

I did an 1-2 hr commute (each way, depending on traffic) for two summers to do an internship. Never again.

My dad's had a 7 min commute his entire career and after that internship I realized he had the right idea. Commuting is extra work that you don't get credit for and it lowers your quality of life, so IMO it should be as short as possible.

jotun?

30 minutes or less is good
between 30-60 minutes is questionable (this is where I'm at)
more than 60 minutes is unreasonable

Nafai1123

Banned
For me it's more about the stress than the time. Previously had to drive to work and it was anywhere from 30min to 1 hour depending on traffic. I fucking hated it.

Now I'm taking the train that just started running and it's consistently about 50min including walking time, but soooo much better.

Hypron

In undergrad my transit was around 1:20 either way (1 hour in the train and 20 min to go to and from the train station), so 2:40 round trip (without counting the time spent waiting at the station). Being in the train isn't actually that bad since you can do something productive on it using your phone or laptop, but it's still a pretty big waste of time.

Upon further reflection, I don't really think it's about time with me so much as I just hate driving that long every day.

I walked about 30-40 minutes to school every weekday (and pretty much on weekends too, I was an athlete and ate at school for most meals) for the past 6 years. I loved it. I love to walk, and with my phone and the music/podcasts I listen to loaded on it, in addition to the ability to browse the net, it was bliss most days, there and back. I could take the train on days it was raining really hard to knock off maybe 10 minutes, too.

I just hate sitting down for extended periods of time, especially when I'm driving and I have to be focused on the road so I can't distract myself. But I guess that's a separate issue.

Iksenpets

Banned
Shortening my commute from an hour+ to under 15 minutes was one of the best things I ever did for myself. It's a seriously underrated cause of stress and misery in people's lives.

My commute tends to be about 1hr - 1hr15m each way. I switched offices at my job a little while back and started taking the train instead of driving, but it still winds up being about the same length.

It fucking kills me to lose up to 2 and a half hours a day to commuting (even though my current train & walk one lets me at least read or something for part of it). My dream would be a half hour each way.

pablito

Anything more than 30 is a no go for me. My commute is 15-20 to work, 20-30 to home. I get impatient when the ride home is near the 30 minute end of the spectrum.

I drove to San Francisco earlier this week during work commute hours from Sacramento. That's a 90 minute drive at a different time, normal traffic, normal speed.

Three hours during work commute hours. There are people that live in Sac and work in San Fran. That's the majority of your post work time spent in a commute. I could never do that.

Spurs

Neo Member
My commute to my last job was a whopping 7 minutes, and my commute to my new job is a slightly worse 15 minutes, although leaving can take double that time due to so many people leaving at once.

Ive been lucky as I live in the Midlands(UK) and it hasstrong automotive ties so I've never really had to travel for work

Ernest

Banned
Mine is 15 minutes in the morning (there's zero traffic in the early morning) and about 25 minutes to get home.

I'd go crazy if I had to commute even one way for more than 30 minutes.

Heck, I've broken up with a good girl just because driving to her house took me almost an hour!

.la1n

Traffic dictates my opinion to be honest. I had a longer commute using public transportation but it didn't bother me much. My commute now is around 20-30 minutes but in madness inducing traffic. I'd gladly go back to my old commute if it was an option.

PixelatedBookake

My commute is about 20 minutes back and forth. I lived on campus my freshman year but the cost really wasn't worth it. I really enjoyed it but not being in crippling debt is a HUGE benefit.

Mine is 15 minutes in the morning (there's zero traffic in the early morning) and about 25 minutes to get home.

Heck, I've broken up with a good girl just because driving to her house took me almost an hour!

Wtf. I mean try to keep it under an hour but I wouldn’t restrict my job opportunities and my relationships to less than 30 minutes from my house.

This post is funnier if you imagine your avi is your ex looking on in anger while you admire another young woman who lives closer to you.

I used to do about an 1.25 hours each way every day. While it sounds pretty bad, an hour of it I had free time to do whatever (usually it was to read or surf the net). Now I work at home

1 hour is as much as I'll go. Took me about 45 minutes to get to my college and it was terrible, especially because I had to get up at 6.

Top Bottom