• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2010)

-Kees-

E57D2.jpg

I'm currently in the process of reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which is absolutely fantastic.

Also, I'll post this here, since it seems to be the place for it: my English teacher this semester is friends with the person who does the editing for the Twilight books, and apparently, the drafts that Stephanie Meyer hands in to them are just about the worst things that you've ever seen. Literally every line required editing and/or copy-editing just to turn it into the piece of crap that we got.

Jebus

Maklershed said:
Still working through Crescent by Phil Rossi and The Stand by Stephen King

iyjsc9.gif

I went out specifically to purchase this today after finishing The Dark Tower series not long ago (it's my only stephen King experience). Surprisingly they didn't have any in stock and from the next shelf I could see this poking out:

neil-gaiman_american-gods.jpg

So I thought....why not? We'll see how I go, I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for and I like it that way.

Salazar

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Literally every line required editing and/or copy-editing just to turn it into the piece of crap that we got.

Yes, editing can be an enormously dispiriting profession. I've mostly practised scholarly editing, which means that I tend to encounter both folks who can write splendid, lucid, well-organised prose and folks who can't write at all but believe, down to their toes, that they were sent to Earth by a god to put words next to each other. I imagine literary editors get a similar deal.

Natsume Soseki's I am a Cat is a glorious, humorous, stylish book. Cat-GAF should get on it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Also, I'll post this here, since it seems to be the place for it: my English teacher this semester is friends with the person who does the editing for the Twilight books, and apparently, the drafts that Stephanie Meyer hands in to them are just about the worst things that you've ever seen. Literally every line required editing and/or copy-editing just to turn it into the piece of crap that we got.

:lol Fanfic indeed. Horrible fanfic at that.

Vard

I'm still reading through The Long Ships. Last month I read Fantastic Mr. Fox and really enjoyed it. Dahl is just consistently great. Probably won't happen this month but I hope to read Matilda soon (one of the Dahl classics I never read), and look into picking something up by Jonathan Carroll.

yonder

Do you guys have any suggestions on an accessible book on US history and society? I'm doing an American Lit course at the moment and finding myself wanting some more context to the stuff we're reading. I'll ask my professor next week as well, but I thought GAF might know some gems. I'm from Finland, now studying in the UK if that matters, btw.

Tapiozona

Banned
Another month, another Wheel of Time book...

Only 2 more books till I heard it starts getting better. Please let all the women go away, all of them. I have found a good strategy though for the wheel of time books 6-10. Buy the books and the audio books. Then you can listen to the 80% boring fluff on audio and stop and read when it gets good. I only wish someone had recommended this earlier for me. I'll only get to enjoy this method for 2 books.

Kuraudo

Banned
515yYp3hJFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got this last week and read it in one sitting, which is a testament to how short it is, not how good. It's nicely written and an interesting if very straight forward and anti-climatic tale, but there's no escaping the fact that it's a £1 novelette repackaged as a full price novel. Enjoyable enough but not really worth the price.

Now reading:

51cuyQAK9uL.jpg

This is a tough book to read if you're tired and I've been stuck on late shift this past week (with another week to look forward to!), so my progress has been pretty slow. Enjoying what little I've read.

Also reading:

21XYE5JTF4L.jpg

Only a couple of hundred pages left to go. Really enjoying it. Stephenson manages to be really facetious without coming across as flippant toward his own subject matter. It makes for an entertaining read and I love the world he's built here.

Little burnt out on SF and fantasy though, so hoping to clear this up quickly so I can move onto other things.

Karakand

z9rvt.jpg

They say you can't get to Heaven without passing through the Eternal Rest Funeral Home. And no one gets into Eternal Rest without passing muster with Elvis-the basset hound who's convinced he's the reincarnation of the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Brewing up a big ol' pitcher of Mississippi mystery, Peggy Webb's delightful new series is as intoxicating as the Delta breeze.

Normally, Callie Valentine Jones spends her days fixing up the hairdos of the dead, but when the corpse of local, prominent physician Dr. Leonard Laton goes missing, it's bad for business. So Callie and her cousin Lovie (Eternal Rest's resident wake caterer) have no choice but to go in hot pursuit of the recently embalmed, last seen bound for Vegas by way of downtown Tupelo.

In Vegas, Callie and Lovie hit the jackpot when they find the dearly departed inside a freezer owned by his showgirl mistress, Bubble Malone. But their luck runs out when Bubble decides to join her man in the afterlife. With the poisonous Laton family tree providing plenty of rotten suspects, Callie, along with some help from her basset hound, Elvis, is determined to crack this case-and have a killer singing "Jailhouse Rock" in time for her next haircutting appointment. . .

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
5a49793509a065133fc27110.L.jpg

0767931114.01.LZZZZZZZ.JPG

another_noteweb.jpg

Maklershed said:
I believe this is what you're looking for ..

51Y%2BEKb3qgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I just finished reading this, it was fucking AWESOME. Seriously. What are some other books like it? I need to know.

haadim

My 8th Discworld book. One just before was Men at Arms. Quite good.

wyrdsisters.jpg

I believe this is second book starring Granny Weatherwax. She was very funny in Equal Rites.

Reading:
the-hound-of-the-baskervilles.jpg

And

fool_moon_web.jpg

Fool Moon of the Dresden Files. So far, I'm having as much trouble getting into the Hound of the Baskervilles as I did in high school, which is annoying. I love Holmes in every media but writing, it would seem. I'll push on in the hopes that this time it clicks.

Fool Moon is awesome so far. Only a few chapters in though.

haadim said:
My 8th Discworld book. One just before was Men at Arms. Quite good.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x376/haadim71/wyrdsisters.jpg

I believe this is second book starring Granny Weatherwax. She was very funny in Equal Rites.[/QUOTE]
She only gets better.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Yonn said:
Do you guys have any suggestions on an accessible book on US history and society? I'm doing an American Lit course at the moment and finding myself wanting some more context to the stuff we're reading. I'll ask my professor next week as well, but I thought GAF might know some gems. I'm from Finland, now studying in the UK if that matters, btw.

What authors does your lit class cover and/or what time period are you interested in?

yonder

Guileless said:
What authors does your lit class cover and/or what time period are you interested in?
It's a general class on the beginnings to the start of the 20th century. The authors we're studying are Melville, Hawthorne, Poe, Emerson, Irving, Whitman, Dickinson, Crane, James, Chopin, Douglass, Jacobs and a few other mentioned briefly, so it's fairly comprehensive.

I'm really interested in the US in general, so as close to a complete history from its discovery till present day would really interest me. I will also be doing the follow-up course next year that deals with the 20th century and some contemporary stuff, so a complete history would come in handy then too. I've heard good things about A People's History of The United States – what about that one?

Guileless

I don't recommend it. It's polemic, not history. (Not that polemic doesn't have its uses.) I think there's a GAF thread devoted to it. It is extremely popular.

Now that I think about it, I've never actually read a one-volume history of the US. The Penguin History of the USA is well-regarded and, interestingly, is written by someone from the UK.

When you get to the 20th century, you should check out two books about politics and American society that I really like:

Means of Ascent and Nixonland.

yonder

Guileless said:
I don't recommend it. It's polemic, not history. (Not that polemic doesn't have its uses.) I think there's a GAF thread devoted to it. It is extremely popular.

Now that I think about it, I've never actually read a one-volume history of the US. The Penguin History of the USA is well-regarded and, interestingly, is written by someone from the UK.

When you get to the 20th century, you should check out two books about politics and American society that I really like:

Means of Ascent and Nixonland.
Thanks for the advice, man; I had a look at the link. Seems like I should spend my time with some other book. The penguin book seems a bit dry, but hopefully my interest will get me through it. I'll keep the other books you mentioned in mind for next year. Thanks again!

MANGOD

Banned
After been wanting to get my hands on a copy for years I finally picked up Motley Crue, The Dirt. I am not disappointed!

Guileless

Yonn said:
Thanks for the advice, man; I had a look at the link. Seems like I should spend my time with some other book. The penguin book seems a bit dry, but hopefully my interest will get me through it. I'll keep the other books you mentioned in mind for next year. Thanks again!

Most one volume surveys are dry by nature, although sometimes that's a good thing. Good luck on your reading. If you get to Faulkner next semester, I really wish you good luck.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jebus said:
I went out specifically to purchase this today after finishing The Dark Tower series not long ago (it's my only stephen King experience). Surprisingly they didn't have any in stock and from the next shelf I could see this poking out:

http://www.thhp.org.uk/media/neil-gaiman_american-gods.jpg

So I thought....why not? We'll see how I go, I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for and I like it that way.

Throw it away and buy a Gaiman book that's actually good :p Like Coraline, Stardust, Good Omens or the Sandman series. American Gods is arguably his worst novel to date, at least out of the ones I've read.

Combichristoffersen

KingGondo said:
I didn't enjoy American Gods either. Good parts, but the last 100 pages were a slog.

I can't really remember what the last 100 pages were like, but the first half of the book was seriously boring as shit. Then it got slightly better, and the last half of the book was just merely boring. I liked the sequel, Monarch of the Glen, much more.

Chorazin

Combichristoffersen said:
Throw it away and buy a Gaiman book that's actually good :p Like Coraline, Stardust, Good Omens or the Sandman series. American Gods is arguably his worst novel to date, at least out of the ones I've read.

WTF? American Gods was awesome!

Guileless

Re: The Shadow of the Wind--I've never read it, but browsing on Amazon I came across this blurb for a book that comes out tomorrow called Voltaire's Calligrapher:

An elegant and atmospheric literary thriller that will delight fans of The Interpretation of Murder and The Shadow of the Wind

Eighteenth century France: the Age of Enlightenment.

Dalessius is 20 when he takes a job as the philosopher Voltaire's messenger and spy. Soon he's entangled in a web of secrets and intrigue, leading from the courts and scaffolds of Toulouse to Paris, and a mysterious fortified monastery where Abbot Mazy guards a horrific secret.

I have read The Interpretation of Murder and can't recommend it. The Voltaire book sounds interesting though.

Combichristoffersen

KingGondo said:
Good concept for a book, but the plot wasn't nearly as tight as I expected for a Gaiman novel... just kind of meandered around.

Indeed. Good concept, poor execution. Gaiman can do better than American Gods.

Edit: IIRC I once saw a GAFfer refer to American Gods as the worst book that's ever been published :lol

threenote said:
coming tomorrow...I can't wait :D

Yup yup. Chernow apparently had access to a lot of papers, etc. that guys like Flexnor, etc. didn't have. I imagine that this will be be the definitive one-volume Washington for the next, like, forever...

turnbuckle

Just about done with Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and getting ready to start the sequel. Started Let The Right One In, but probably will wait til I'm done with The Steigg trilogy before committing to it. Loved the movie and heard good things about the American remake, so I figure it's time I read the book.

After getting my Kindle I'm gonna need to go through these threads and check the back ones more often. Read more in the past month than I did in the last year. :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Guileless said:
Re: The Shadow of the Wind--I've never read it, but browsing on Amazon I came across this blurb for a book that comes out tomorrow called Voltaire's Calligrapher:

I might have to check this out! Thanks.

Also, I'll put in my thoughts on The Angel's Game when I finish it. as its considered a prequel to SoTW.

Top Bottom