• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Vein TGS trailer

warheat

All these Souls inspired/clone lack the animation/weight that Souls has.

In Souls, I feel like the character has weight and you can feel the weight of your actions.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Doesn't look like they did, so it seems you got your wish.

Are you kidding me!!? they way the character moves and doges is very similar to souls games. I mean even enemy' heath bar and lock on Icon is straight up from Bloodborne.

Hoje0308

Banned
Are you kidding me!!? they way the character moves and doges is very similar to souls games. I mean even enemy' heath bar and lock on Icon is straight up from Bloodborne.

I thought you were commenting based on the trailer alone. Raw gameplay does look uninspired, but the trailer seems different enough. Lock-on icon and health bars != straight copy to me.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Wow this looked really good.

I've always wanted these devs to make a more open ended type of game. I'm glad they're copying the souls formula as opposed to the monster hunter one.

I don't think this game is really trying to be souls exactly. Just like how nioh or the surge wasn't. Like it or not, FROM has created a genre of sorts and I've enjoyed most of the games that use its formula. The A.I companion that can revive you seems like a bot much tho.

When will the game come out again?

It seems that they're pushing it way too early. The game still needs lots of polishing, and it shows.

If they keep showing this underwhelming version to public, it'll only hurt the game in the long run.

Unless if everything is already final (like weight, speed, animation, AI), then I'm out.

DKHF

When will the game come out again?

It seems that they're pushing it way too early. The game still needs lots of polishing, and it shows.

If they keep showing this underwhelming version to public, it'll only hurt the game in the long run.

Unless if everything is already final (like weight, speed, animation, AI), then I'm out.
early 2018, IIRC

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Only nioh has straight up surpassed souls in terms of gameplay IMO in the realm of souls likes. Code vein has a long way to go to measure up to souls itself. But the visuals look neato. I agree with the guy who says they should delay it, put in a lot more betas and fan feedback and testing instead of rushing it out to meet a 2018 deadline

Looks alright. Good cutscenes. I can't say because I haven't played but the game looks like its attacks have no weight to them, which I don't think I've ever come away thinking after a trailer. Nothing wowed me but in all fairness I generally find Souls game previews underwhelming so hopefully there's a hands-on or simply a better showing from the gameplay. Somewhat intrigued by the story however.

Mifec

Is this the first time they revealed the platforms? It's BAMCO so it's was obv gonna come to Steam but I'm glad it's confirmed now.

i-Jest

Only nioh has straight up surpassed souls in terms of gameplay IMO in the realm of souls likes. Code vein has a long way to go to measure up to souls itself. But the visuals look neato. I agree with the guy who says they should delay it, put in a lot more betas and fan feedback and testing instead of rushing it out to meet a 2018 deadline

I agree letting players have early access to different builds, influenced by feedback, would greatly help improve the overall image in many players opinions. It'll come down to whether or not the devs are open to it. Ni-oh is a modern gaming classic in the making, in my opinion, and it's gotten to that point for a good reason.

Let's hope Bandai Namco and the dev team are open enough to consider under taking a public alpha or beta.

Soar

Doesn't look enticing, like there's no character or direction to the visuals if compared to soulsborne/nioh. However if you look at it as a successor to God Eater then it's a little more palatable.

The armor and weapon design is all over the place, like Bay's transformers. Spikes, spikes everywhere.

Have there been any demo booth impressions of Code Vein?

Because to be fair Nioh's combat was not fully realized from gameplay trailers, it's only that first youtube video of how the mechanics work and that first 'combo' video that people saw what you can do with the system.

After watching that trailer I think the speed of the combat is fast enough as seen with some of the boss characters, but the issue is the main protagonist weapon is a slow lumbering greatsword type with boring movesets.

The boss trailer made me think that Code Vein is Bandai Namco's response to people saying that God Eater was too tough for entry level players. The fight really looked like the boss was just phoning it in and completely disinterested.

That said, I really hope there are difficulty settings or items that make bosses and enemies more aggressive.

UrbanRats

That 2d animated short/trailer, was just about the best thing to come out of this.
They should make a whole animated short or film, with that art style.

The game itself looks too derivative and uninspired.

Zeel

It looks horrible to me.
Seems like a very shallow implementation of Souls combat on the surface, art design looks generic, world looks bland and lacking atmosphere.
I's trying to be Souls but it's missing the very soul.

Dark_castle

That 2d animated short/trailer, was just about the best thing to come out of this.
They should make a whole animated short or film, with that art style.

The game itself looks too derivative and uninspired.

I thought the art style is absolute garbage. It's like how Nomura designed Batman translated into the art style of Code Vein. It's juvenile, try hard to be cool looking, edgy with all the sharp edges, red and black everywhere possible, whole thing reeks of teenage boy fantasy.

KillLaCam

Banned
I'm gonna get it. But seems like Nioh is gonna be the only great "souls inspired" game for a long time. Hopefully they do a beta line Nioh did. I didn't like Nioh during the beta but they made so many improvements after the beta that made me end up loving it. Hopefully this can do something similar

Environments are awful looking so far though. I don't really like that much modern anime Art so I can't really have a fair opinion on character designs in this.

Jingo

Souls fans are the worst, it seems like no one can copy a formula or come close to from software, i love dark souls, i have played nioh, great game, the surge, great game, soul and sanctuary, great game and this will probably will be great too!

You re missing out great games trying to compare them all to souls games.

Souls fans are the worst, it seems like no one can copy a formula or come close to from software, i love dark souls, i have played nioh, great game, the surge, great game, soul and sanctuary, great game and this will probably will be great too!

I mean, obviously those games are riffing on souls. If you dig them, thats great! Others like myself may not. No need to get condescending.

Honestly, none of these games do come close to Fromsoft IMO, and that isn't fanboy bias. There's just a certain level of polish, craft and unity to each of their titles both gameplay wise and in terms of visuals that these games just don't have, and as a result I'm not really interested. I don't care that they copy Souls, or are at least "heavily inspired". I care that they copy Souls and have so far done a worse job.

I really wished this had more fast past combat instead of the souls based combat. It's really going to suck when the cut scenes have high speed action and then gameplay switches to the slow, methodical souls type combat.

I really do like the games aesthetics, but I don't think I'll care for the gameplay that much.

MegaMelon

I really wished this had more fast past combat instead of the souls based combat. It's really going to suck when the cut scenes have high speed action and then gameplay switches to the slow, methodical souls type combat.

I really do like the games aesthetics, but I don't think I'll care for the gameplay that much.

Hmm I dunno I feel like Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne even more so has pretty fast combat. Seeing as From is unlikely to slow down the combat to Dark Souls 1/Demon Souls/Dark Souls 2 levels I think a slower combat would be refreshing.

Akainu

Woof.

I bet the people making the cutscenes and those making the gameplay were put in separate room and told to work on a project with no knowledge of the other.

raven777

Less people will complain if the game doesn't look like crap. I don't see Nioh getting as much shit for trying to copy Souls games because Nioh was actually good. Code Vein could turn out good in the end, but what they have shown so far has been mostly shit.

I mean even enemy' heath bar and lock on Icon is straight up from Bloodborne.

And don't forget the ladders:

DI-WIOJW0AM3Sil.jpg

MindlessTalkativeAfricanjacana.gif

Top Bottom