• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Console Version |OT| Straight to your living room!

So I am on my third city. I planned very well i thought. Somehow, a pandemic occurs. The first time I accommodated and saved the city (it lost half its population from 30,000), then it happened again and I look at the ambulances and they are driving in circles.........what is going on?

N° 2048

Just reached 12,000 pop. I've played this game about 14 hours since launch lol

Haven't played Undertale, Sonic Mania or finished Hellblade because of it.

I'll post a pic soon. City is a mess, can't wait to start over actually ha, so much learned.

Yet they still can't give us a UI scale for PC people playing on a TV. Smh.

Enjoy guys!

Disable overscan on your TV then. It's on you, not on them.

16:9 often overscans on TV's. You want to look for a screen fit, just scan, picture fit or whatever (different brands call it different things) in the tv's menu.

N° 2048

I wanna get this for console, but dang the price is keeping me from doing so.

Honestly, I usually mind too but games like these I get my money's worth within the first week. Already played about 15 hours since Tuesday lol

besada

Banned
This is such a great game. I've played hours and hours of it on PC and I'm glad console users are getting the chance to play.

Remember, put the sewer outflow downstream from your water inflow.

Staf

My city of 12,000 failed. My roads sucked.

Time to start over with this knowledge :p

I'm at the same population level. I've started upgrading my roads to 3 lanes but the population and income is dropping fast lol. Don't know if my fair city will survive this kind of renovation!

By the way, do you guys have any tips when it comes to busses and taxis? I have kind of neglected that so far.

I'm at the same population level. I've started upgrading my roads to 3 lanes but the population and income is dropping fast lol. Don't know if my fair city will survive this kind of renovation!

By the way, do you guys have any tips when it comes to busses and taxis? I have kind of neglected that so far.
Try minimizing the number of intersections in your city and having large uninterrupted roads between districts. I just bought the game last weekend (on PC) and realized that intersections create a lot of the congestion, now my city is at 25000 people with no 3-lane roads and a very good traffic flow.

I'm still experimenting with public transport, not sure about the best way to place it. Around 10% of my total population is using my buses and metro right now but I'd like to get those numbers up soon. I've just put up stations in central locations so far which seems to work ok.

DHgNmbtVwAAcCcZ.jpg

not sure I'll reach 200k too hard after 150

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm surprised that no one are willing to share their stories about their city development like Retro Edge. Those kind of stuffs is entertaining to read.

Have they confirmed what the Pro enhancements are yet?

All I've been able to find, from the Paradox forums (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cities-skylines-now-available-for-ps4.1039708/):

Is it PS4 Pro supported?

While it has not been built specifically for PS4 Pro, it does make use of the extra memory and upgraded graphics. It will work fine on both the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Seems to be running pretty well so far, and looks nice enough. I'm only sitting at about 15k residents though.

N° 2048

I love the game. But the constant traffic issues i'm starting to get is not fun.

Yea, really hope the traffic DLC comes to consoles but I can't think about that too much. When it comes, it comes.

For now, I just have to plan a bit before I lay my city down again.

Good old paper and pen for planning...I love when a game makes me pull out paper + pen lol, good old days.

sorted out my game saving issues so back to it!

feeling pretty overwhelmed at the moment, especially when it comes to planning roads and all the various transport options. seems I should be leaving a lot more space around roads so in future upgrades or adding bus lanes or train tracks is easier. also basics like how big to make the various zones and positioning of the various types in relation to each other.

i keep looking at pictures of cities others have made and whilst they are no doubt using various mods that I don't have access to still feels a sense of "how the hell do I plan that?". feeling pretty dumb right now!

Staf

Aww man.. Aaaaaaaaw maaaaaan. The auto-save is off by default? What the hell is up with that? Lost like 5 hours of progress...

Think i'm gonna go and play something else for a while...

Yeah I repaved all my roads with six lanes and the traffic problems almost ceased. Also encourage biking and make public transit free policies help. And build bus lines and taxi depots/stops.

My biggest issue is not having enough uneducated workers to work in the industrial zones.

That's the European style. The map will tell you when you go to select it what building type the area is.

ok for some reason this map seems harder to hit 90,000

edit: I think this game is buggy on PS4

I keep having massive die offs and I made sure my waster was clean and health is maxed these die offs just seem to happen and I lose 30k citizens not fun

\

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The XBO version got so much better when they patched in the ability to speed up time. It also performs a lot better. I need to start a new city, mine is really bland looking and Old Town has tiny tiny roads that would cause me to demolish tons of buildings to upgrade.

I'm really trying to figure out hydro electric power. It always seems to work for little while, and then the river seems to flow backwards, and there's no more power. Does the flow of the river have that much effect in real life? Doesn't the pressure on the dam cause the water to flow through the turbines when water is allowed through? I don't know why the river flowing is so important. It's only not flowing because of the dam.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
ok for some reason this map seems harder to hit 90,000

edit: I think this game is buggy on PS4

I keep having massive die offs and I made sure my waster was clean and health is maxed these die offs just seem to happen and I lose 30k citizens not fun
\

In Cities Skylines people ages and die, if you zone a huge part of the map with residentials at one time, it get filled with new people, but they will all die around the same time, causing these sudden drops in population.

The best way to zone residential is doing it step by step to avoid people to arrive all at the same time.

Also, 6 lanes everywhere is not the best solution, it may look better on the trafic side, but not always.

Really interested in this. I'd be getting on ps4 pro. How's the game control?? Does the controller work well with this type of game?? Is there a decent 'tutorial for newbies??

This has not been getting a lot of love, it seems. I am someone who doesn't have a gaming PC and missed the initial community bandwagon around this game. I'm surprised to see such little buzz about it reaching consoles. Is the initial frenzy just gone by now? Is there still a spark to be found for someone new? Is the cost too much for a vanilla version of this at this point?

Disable overscan on your TV then. It's on you, not on them.

16:9 often overscans on TV's. You want to look for a screen fit, just scan, picture fit or whatever (different brands call it different things) in the tv's menu.

Heh.

You might want to google UI scale or some shit because you're not even close to being right.

Really interested in this. I'd be getting on ps4 pro. How's the game control?? Does the controller work well with this type of game?? Is there a decent 'tutorial for newbies??

I actually think it controls really well. Sometimes when placing roads it’s not always obvious what’s obstructing and not letting you lay it down, but IIRC it was similar on the PC so it’s probably not a controller problem specifically.

Some of the menus take some getting used to, and some are buried to the point I didn’t know they existed until I accidentally brought them up, i.e. the menu to assign policy to specific districts.

All that being said, I have trouble opening the game and not just playing for several hours at a time. Really addicting just to make adjustments and fix traffic problems. I would recommend it for sure, if you’re at all into sim games or city builders in general. Pro performance is mostly fine, zooming through even a modestly populated city at night though and you’ll see some slowdown. Drops some frames when saving as well.

Ostinatto

PRO TIP for traffic issues.

Traffic lights are usually the reason of traffic disasters, use only simple lanes without traffic lights, cars will never stop advancing ;)

I actually think it controls really well. Sometimes when placing roads it’s not always obvious what’s obstructing and not letting you lay it down, but IIRC it was similar on the PC so it’s probably not a controller problem specifically.

Some of the menus take some getting used to, and some are buried to the point I didn’t know they existed until I accidentally brought them up, i.e. the menu to assign policy to specific districts.

All that being said, I have trouble opening the game and not just playing for several hours at a time. Really addicting just to make adjustments and fix traffic problems. I would recommend it for sure, if you’re at all into sim games or city builders in general. Pro performance is mostly fine, zooming through even a modestly populated city at night though and you’ll see some slowdown. Drops some frames when saving as well.

Thanks a lot. I just downloaded on your input sounds great. Thanks mate

The tutorial system for this game leaves a lot to be desired. Goddamn. I run out of money so damn fast even getting to the 1000 population point. I suck.
Tried playing with unlimited money, but that just wasn't rewarding.

I'm determined to 'git good', but the game certainly isn't helping me out much. :(

When I'm starting game I can pic a city zone but not where I want my first grid. It's seems like a tutorial. Do I need to finish that then the game opens up where I can pick where on the map I want my city to start.

How do I finish it? It's seems to never end.

Ostinatto

The tutorial system for this game leaves a lot to be desired. Goddamn. I run out of money so damn fast even getting to the 1000 population point. I suck.

I'm determined to 'git good', but the game certainly isn't helping me out much. :(

Rise the RCI taxes up to 13.

Staf

Well, i think i should start a new city now. I made it up to 30k in population before the traffic problems, commercial zones not having goods and industry not having enough workers makes it super tough to continue.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
This has not been getting a lot of love, it seems. I am someone who doesn't have a gaming PC and missed the initial community bandwagon around this game. I'm surprised to see such little buzz about it reaching consoles. Is the initial frenzy just gone by now? Is there still a spark to be found for someone new? Is the cost too much for a vanilla version of this at this point?

To be fair, the Xbone version has been out for a few months, and there was a nice bump to the original OT at the time, so this is more the PS4 version OT.

Well, i think i should start a new city now. I made it up to 30k in population before the traffic problems, commercial zones not having goods and industry not having enough workers makes it super tough to continue.
Same here, aside from the blandness of my city, I find I didn't count on some of the later nuance the game requires.

CS_Dan

Pause the game while you put down the first neighbourhoods. Otherwise you get charged for roads and services while having no citizens

Top Bottom