• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Console Version |OT| Straight to your living room!

wto8dRy.png

What is Cities Skylines?

Cities: Skylines is a city-building game originally developed by Colossal Order and published by Paradox Interactive. The console version however is ported by Tantalus Media.
The game is a single-player open-ended city-building simulation. Players engage in urban planning by controlling zoning, road placement, taxation, public services, and public transportation of an area. Players work to maintain various elements of the city, including its budget, health, employment, and pollution levels. Players are also able to maintain a city in a sandbox mode, which provides unrestricted creative freedom for the player.

Overview

• Developer: Colossal Order and ported by Tantalus Media
  • Release: Xbox One -21 April 2017, PS4 - 15 August 2017 Digital & Physical
  • Price: 39,99$
  • Content: Cities Skylines Base Game & After Dark DLC

Links

What is not in the game?
  • No Snowfall
  • No Natural Disasters
  • No Mass Transit

And now it's time to create your own City, in the living room, in Cities: Skylines!

H0U50rU.jpg

*It's just a quick and dirty OT and i will try to improve it in the future, hope it's alright.*

Cornbread78

Thanks for putting this; Quick and Dirty works just fine!

I wonder if I can sucker my wife back into the game with something like this.

Dabanton

Been playing the Xbox One version when that released a few months ago.

This game is very addictive. Hope it does well on the PS4 as well.

When a game is a new release on a new console and it a long time after the initial release (Initial release date: March 10, 2015) then a new OT is warranted every time if someone wants to make it.
It was released 4 months ago on xbox one..

Anyway ports pretty decent doesn't stack up against the pc version but i had fun with it

Caayn

Great game. I would love to hear how the interface feels on console, I might consider getting it.
I have played the PC version before I touched the XB1 version and my opinion is that the controls have been translated very well to a controller from a m&k.
If they're smart, they use all the extra power for the simulation. Spending those resources on a 4k mode or something would be a waste.
I doubt that the extra available CPU cycles spend on, speeding up, the simulation would have an impact on the resolution the GPU renders at. Wouldn't you agree?

Not out till tomorrow.

Well, i have my version, like you can see in the OT. ^^

Performance so far is good, i only have a 800 people village right now but it runs with flawless 60fps, with one exception, if it turns night and you fly through your city and all the light sources, the fps drops hard here, don't know why. It's, just strange, seems like an engine problem. But it's acceptable.

N° 2048

Looking forward to seeing all your cities :)

Wanted to go physical but if I'm going to be playing a lot, digital is best.

Rocketz

Oh right! How about Xbox impressions?

Performance wise it dips when you zoom in and have a lot going on but with the type of game it is I don't mind that much. Controller works very well but it will take a minute to get used to everything. Only complaint is not being able to adjust the land. I've put in almost 100 hrs into the Xbox version.

KAP151

Dissapointing about so much of the dlc missing.
I would of double dipped, but i guess thats the way it is nowdays.

Dissapointing about so much of the dlc missing.
I would of double dipped, but i guess thats the way it is nowdays.

Yeah, somehow, something on this release feels like a port that developers would've made 10 years ago or more, like, i don't know, Sims 2 for PS2 or something like that. A port where you obviously don't get the same game but a slimmed down special console version instead.
You don't get ports like these anymore today. Most of them are just straight 100% the same games with the same DLC's and the same patch support behind it. Everyone is happy and feel treated the same.
Of course, why wouldn't you do it like that? If you do it right, you can double your profit, if not even more with a good console version release.

But here, it feels a bit like Paradox repelled the console version, want's nothing to do with it and just wants to make fast money with a third party developer.

This game is good and works great so far but I'm scared as fuck that they release it now and abandon it right after.
I waited years for this game to come to console, literally, since i played it on my crappy PC for the first time in 2015 and it was one of my most anticipated PS4 releases ever.
If they want to make money with this game afterwards, fine, get the DLC's ready and i pay you what you want, I don't want them for free, just don't stop working on this game please....

Well, i have my version, like you can see in the OT. ^^

Performance so far is good, i only have a 800 people village right now but it runs with flawless 60fps, with one exception, if it turns night and you fly through your city and all the light sources, the fps drops hard here, don't know why. It's, just strange, seems like an engine problem. But it's acceptable.
Pro or og?

Why is it telling me I have to wait 10.5 hours to play. That's 8am on the 15th. I've never had that happen before. Usually can play right at midnight or 2/3am.

M.W.

Any word on performance?

Appears to be the same as the X1 version though the streamer who was playing a few nights ago said "snapping" the roads was kind of annoying on PS4. Guess it wasn't as easy to do as the X1 version. Meh, I'm sure it's fine.

Staf

Got up one hour before going to work this morning to play some. I just love it, the controls are Divinity: OS level of quality.

Pro or og?

Pro. Oh and the draw distance is really bad. Things are disappearing right in front of you if you only start to zoom out.

Appears to be the same as the X1 version though the streamer who was playing a few nights ago said "snapping" the roads was kind of annoying on PS4. Guess it wasn't as easy to do as the X1 version. Meh, I'm sure it's fine.

Snapping is absolutely fine. No problems here. Of course if you do curved roads you have to fiddle a bit, but its exactly as I remember it on the PC.

I still regularly play the PC version but I pre-ordered the PS4 version yesterday so it's ready when I get home after work for some comfy couch gaming, I'm interested to see how it works with a controller, is there any word on whether the PC version will ever support a controller apart from the Steam one?

Staf

I still regularly play the PC version but I pre-ordered the PS4 version yesterday so it's ready when I get home after work for some comfy couch gaming, I'm interested to see how it works with a controller, is there any word on whether the PC version will ever support a controller apart from the Steam one?

I played an hour before work this morning. It controls superwell!

mojo2

Neo Member
Couldn't resist, the price point is just perfect. Got physical for ~33 eur (FIN).
It was a great game to play with wife. The UI adjustment for TV & couch just wasn't there and my BT mouse was shit. Now the game is back with a vengeance!

N° 2048

Just got home, time to shower and smoke a huge bowl then play this. So hyped.
This, Undertale and Sonic Mania in the same fucking day. Amazing but poor wallet.

EDIT:
An hour into this game and it's great, you can see the console limitations (pop in, small FPS drops) but we finally have this type of game on consoles! So far learning to set up water and electric systems.

N° 2048

So so good. Really hope we get this expanded or more games come to console like this.

I can only think of Aven Colony and Tropico.

Top Bottom