• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game do you regret buying!!!!

I would say the first thing that comes to mind right now is Halo 5. Didn't really enjoy the campaign except for a few levels and the multiplayer didn't hold my interest for more than a few days. Really regret going digital as well.

nkarafo

I posted already but i have a worse one:

Turok 2 (N64)

It was the UK N64 magazine's fault. They told me "it runs without a smidgen of slowdown" In the High Res mode even! These where their exact words in the review. Seriously. This is what they wrote. And not only this isn't true, the game is actually the WORST offender of frequent slowdown/bad frame rate games on the N64, even on low res mode (and that says a lot).

UK N64 magazine didn't make a honest mistake. It wasn't an opinion. They pretty much lied to my face. They played the game and decided not only to not say anything about this major problem, they even advertised it's the opposite. They cost me a ton of money for a game i would never buy knowing it's issues. And it was a fucking expensive game.

UK N64 editors/staff. If anyone reads this. I will never forgive you for this.

Steejee

All time would probably be 3D World Runner (and some other game) for the NES as a kid.

It was either get those two games or just StarTropics. Can't believe I let my Dad talk me into those two.

For different reasons, UO and then WoW. They ate a copious amount of hours during college and right after, and I'd rather have never played either in retrospect.

Final Fantasy XIII. My friends were like "it's a great RPG and you need to play it", I bought it and I spent 2 hours bored out of my mind from the hallways and automated combat.

There's also Sonic 06, I don't even need to say any more.

A few I can think of off the top of my head

-MGSV basic gameplay is gold, everything built around it is pure menu-micromanagement bullshit. Even the little characterization thats in the game is filled with self indulgent poopoo.

-Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil. I think I just dont understand the appeal of these games. Its fun to turn my brain off and play for a bit but I just dont see why people think this game is so good

-Borderlands. Why did this get so much hype back in the day? It was boring as piss to play and only marginally improved with other people playing with you. NPCs could have been entirely replaced by post boards and it would be the same experience.

-Dead Space 3. Seriously one of the worst games Ive ever played. Its so predictable and annoying in some of its design decisions and just overall feels like nobody gave a shit anymore. Fucking terrible way to end a pretty damn good series.

I have to agree with The Witness. Everyone was goin crazy for it after release. I played 2 or 3 hours of it and it was stupid & half the puzzles are just stupid to me.

I posted already but i have a worse one:

Turok 2 (N64)

It was the UK N64 magazine's fault. They told me "it runs without a smidgen of slowdown" These where their exact words in the review. Seriously. This is what they wrote. And not only this isn't true, the game is actually the WORST offender of frequent slowdown/bad frame rate games on the N64 (and that says a lot).

UK N64 magazine didn't make a honest mistake. It wasn't an opinion. They pretty much lied to my face. They cost me a ton of money for a game i would never buy knowing it's issues. And it was a fucking expensive game.

UK N64 editors/staff. If anyone reads this. I will never forgive you for this.

I'll take all the slowdown in the world for some sweet, brain-bore goodness.

Azzanadra

RAGE. I bought it over Dark Souls which I ended up putting off until 2013... delayed one of the greatest gaming experiences in my life by two years. Not to mention RAGE itself was the definition of mediocrity.

Fbh

Smash for WiiU.

Got it at launch. Single player content was fun for like a day or two. I tried online multiplayer, my biggest reason for buying it and it turned out to be an unplayable laggy mess.
Im not going to spend like $30 getting a LAN adapter (thats how much it costs over here) to see IF it turns this $60 game playable online.

So yeah. Played it for a few days and then never touched it again. Should have waited 10 years for a pricedrop

Dying Light The Following, I should've rented it.

At times my PS4, but the games I want for it are coming. I just prefer the Xbox One controller for multi games.

Only recent game that comes to mind is Dark Souls 2. I pre-ordered months in advance, kept up on pre-release info, read up on the "downgrade" and still didn't care, looked at gameplay videos and articles and previews. Game looked sick and I couldn't wait to dig into it. Brought home the Day One edition with a gorgeous steelcase. It was my weekend, so I made sure to set aside some time for me to play it.

Within a few hours, I got this sinking feeling in my gut that something was very, very wrong. A few hours more and I was done with it. I didn't go back to the game until many months later when the DLC and fixes came out but at that point my opinion had been irredeemably soured.

JaseMath

Smash for WiiU.

Got it at launch. Single player content was fun for like a day or two. I tried online multiplayer, my biggest reason for buying it and it turned out to be an unplayable laggy mess.
Im not going to spend like $30 getting a LAN adapter (thats how much it costs over here) to see IF it turns this $60 game playable online.

So yeah. Played it for a few days and then never touched it again

I did and it didn't help. :( Online is still laggy.

The witness
while high
Yeah... maybe don't get baked before playing a game with very obtuse puzzle solutions.

I regret buying Just Cause 2. I think one of my first posts on GAF was talking shit about this game, and 3 years later, my opinion on it hasn't changed. Lack of polish, horrid voice acting that makes Devil May Cry sound like The Last of Us by comparison, and a huge open world with nothing to do.

Also, Far Cry 3 on the PS3. I didn't even know consoles supported PPT format.

EDIT:
Every Ubisoft game i bought except Warlords 4
Thanks for the reminder.

Watch_Dogs was the last Ubisoft game I bought full price, and after beating the story, it looks like it will stay that way.

BiggNife

Final Fantasy Type 0.
Just dreadful, not even worth it for the demo which wasn't good either.
A lot of digital games as well

Definitely regretted this, even as someone who liked Crisis Core. Type-0 has some decent ideas but it wasn't enough to for me to tolerate all of the crap surrounding it - the terrible story, the awful VA, the horrendous camera, etc. And yeah, I was super let down by Episode Duscae too.

I just bought Gravity Rush PS4 and I think I might be regretting it, not sure yet. I love how the game looks but it just feels so shallow and halfway through it doesn't seem to be adding any more significant depth.

Recently I'd say Type-0. I did enjoy the FFXV demo so I'm not sure if this post counts, but the game itself was mostly terrible.

Oh and FFXIII sucked ass, but that's many years ago now.

Ladekabel

Shadow of Mordor

Didn't want to buy it. All the positive reviews convinced me otherwise and I bought it a few days after release. The only game I regret buying.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Recently? Fallout 4. I guess Bethesda & I just need to go our separate ways. We had some good times, back in the day.

rpg_fan

I've probably said it before, but Battlecruiser 3000 still tops it for me. I bought I upon release, and even though you could return pc games in those days, I didn't. I did the world a favor and burned it instead.

DarkFlame

Banned
Destiny:the Thread

Worst hype let out in history from one of the most accredited game studios ever. 70 € pre order for an alpha release with laughable content and repetitive as fuck...

The Taken King expansion was actually worth the content for 60 € at release,but the damage on my wallet was done 1 year ago,so to hell with you Bungie and most of all Activision

Titanfall - Origin throws some game time for it & I am enjoying the 2nd coming of what I think is Unreal Tournament and than I buy the game.

:(

ghibli99

Skyrim (PC/Steam). Ended up not being my thing after buying it at launch, and so I was forever stuck with a $60 purchase.

antitrop

Shadow of Mordor

Didn't want to buy it. All the positive reviews convinced me otherwise and I bought it a few days after release. The only game I regret buying.
Same, I wrote it off as a mediocre AC-ripoff when it was first revealed, but the reviews convinced me to buy it. Should have trusted my first impression. GOTY awards? Smoking fucking crack, 2014 wasn't that bad.

Advanced Warfare. It was the first game I've bought in that franchise since the first Modern Warfare. I thought I'd give it a chance since all my friends were getting it but the multiplayer (which is the only thing I cared about) ended up being garbage.

Fallout 4

Not because I think it's a bad game. I think the opposite, I have put in about 6 hours and really enjoyed what I have played. The issue is I have a baby and my gaming now comes in bursts, like madden, cod or rocket league, or I play games my wife can play along with(the witness has been perfect for this). I know I'm never going to find the time to play fallout and I knew this before I got it. I think I was just kidding myself when I though I was going to be able to sink 40hrs into a game again

Ensoul

Destiny: Was bored with the game after a few days

Mortal Kombat: I just cannot get into fighting games anymore.

Halo 5: I was hoping to get an online experience that I had with Halo 2 but it was not even close. The multiplayer of halo sucked in almost every aspect.

Certinty

Bloodborne

Too boring and repetitive having to do the same thing again and again, I can't find any fun in that.

Eyeron

Recently, Black Ops 3. I really enjoy the multiplayer but now that most of the casual players have moved on, I find myself doing terribly and not having much fun. I never got into Zombies mode but could usually count on a fun single player campaign at the very least. Not so much with BLOPS 3.

Struct09

Recently, Wolfenstein: The New Order. It just didn't click with me for some reason and I ended up giving it to a friend who enjoyed it much more than I did.

Overall, Final Fantasy XIII. The game that made me realize I'm pretty much done with the old JRPG genre.

Top Bottom