• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game do you regret buying!!!!

Marvel VS Capcom 3.

My friends and I loved 2 and I thought Capcom was doing their classic "dangle the carrot" strategy so I figured a Mega Man was going to be scumbag DLC down the road. But then it was unbalanced garbage with every patch making bad characters even worse (Tron), no spectator mode, and no story mode at all despite claiming they were putting a ton of work into that.

Oh and they announced an updated version about three months later to release before the end of the year that rendered this disc I payed full price for 100% fucking worthless shit. I didn't buy Ultimate but I'm so pissed I bought that beta disc.

i have a pretty impressive track record of only buying games i enjoy.
i know what i like.

the one i can name is Firewatch, it's currently not in a state where i want to play it (that's a long sentence to avoid saying unplayable)

but i believe in them to fix it. so it's only a half regret.

massoluk

Banned
Truly truly regret?

Vanguard Saga of Heroes
Batman Arkham Knight
That shit Mario game with Sticker mechanics, so shit I forgot the name.
Grand Theft Auto 4

Piggus

State of Emergency (PS2) - WTF was R* thinking with this shit
Destiny - played until lvl 18 and never touched it again
SimCity - absolute trash
Battlefront - really like it, but like BF4, it won't be truly great until a year after launch
SFV - Sending it back until there's more substance
MGSV - I wish I had bought the PC version of this at a discount instead. PS4 version looks like beat wang and is massively disappointing for an MGS game.
Bloodborne - I see the appeal, but it's just not for me. I'll probably like it more if I really spend the time to get better at it.
The Order - played through it and liked it, but it was not worth $60

DJ_Lae

P5SKfN5.jpg

I loved Tricky and SSX3. On Tour was okay.

It only took an hour or so before I realized that I hated SSX. The deadly descent stuff was garbage, and worst of all the entire thing had no personality whatsoever.

Fallout 4:
Gave up on and didn't finish. The boring characters and story didn't give me any incentive to continue. And the priority bethesda placed on junk made me truly hate encumbrance as a mechanic for the first time ever.

Dragon Age Inquisition:
Boring. Didn't finish.
Game had too much busy work and not enough reward. Agan, I'd of felt way more compelled to continue if I gave a damn about what I was doing.

JoseLopez

Watch_Dogs from the very first moment I tried to drive a car. Terrible vehicle handling, terrible radio stations. In an open-world driving game, no fucking way.
To be fair they're weren't radio stations just songs you could flick through.

On topic

Mind zero aka the most nothing jrpg ever made with a budget lower than a neptunia game.

Ragnarok odyssey- I thought it was a ARPG but it's just a cheap knock off of monster hunter.

Destiny because it's destiny

Shadow of mordor

GAF has rarely steered me wrong but once upon a time some chaps told me that Alice Madness Returns was a great little platformer. It really, really wasn't.
A game so tediously droll that I regret it even though it cost me just £10.

Probably gonna regret SFV for full price when it finally makes its late arrival through my door later this week considering its current fumbles.
Coming to think of it, any time I've actually had to pony up £40 for a game for whatever reason I end up underwhelmed, it's like a cursed number for me, fortunately this doesn't happen often.
Me and £35 are on good terms though.

Aliens: Colonial Marines. I knew the game would be a hot, steaming turd, but my friend was adamant about playing the campaign cooperatively with me and two other friends.

I succumbed to his begging, and instantly regretting blowing $64 dollar on that abomination of a game. No enjoyment to be found, yet my buddy was somehow infatuated with it.

Traded it in two days later, told him that he'll have to make good by buying a game that he has no interest in, if I wish for him to play it with me. An eye for an eye, broski!

_jnup

I regret buying the Destiny Collector's Edition and redeeming the DLC. Still haven't touch any of the content after the main story.

Hoje0308

Banned
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, because fuck that game and its spacetime-as-molasses movement speed. Don't encourage me to explore and then make the process tedious because you need to pad the length of your game. Seriously, fuck that game.

antitrop

State of Emergency (PS2) - WTF was R* thinking with this shit

More like "What were game magazines thinking, trying to hype this garbage up as the next GTA III?". Everything was "The next GTA III" back then, though. They tried to say the same shit about The Getaway, too, which was a complete pile of garbage.

Yeah, The Getaway, I regret buying that one, holy shit. Fuck you, game magazines. Some of the worst controls of any game I've ever played in my entire life.

No surprise that the real "next GTA III" turned out to actually be Vice City.

Madden

Every 2 or 3 years I get an itch to play Madden and I instantly regret it after playing a few games. I used to love playing Madden, but as I've gotten older, I just don't enjoy sports games anymore.

Homefront

For some reason I thought it was going to be a good medium between COD & Battlefield. Hated it instantly, and returned it the next day.

Watch Dogs

The driving was unbearable for me. It was far too easy to make money by hacking random NPC's. The puzzle elements of trying to hack a base were fun though. The cover system was also enjoyable. The game as a whole however just wasn't that fun.

MrNelson

Banned
Call of Duty: Ghosts Prestige Edition
thank God Best Buy fucked up and I got it for $120 instead of its full price

Diablo III up until RoS

And if it keeps diving into the microtransaction hell it's becoming, Black Ops III

At least the Juggernog fridge takes out some of the sting

Bravely Default CE.

The small slice from the demo interested me, but I didn't realize the full game was going to be super boring and repetitive.

Traded in Skyrim for Ghost Recon Future Soldier. Even though it was the ps3 version of skyrim, I still had fun with it. Future Soldier was just so boring.

Lot of people regretting MGSV?!

I get that about the story (or lack there of), but the gameplay was/is amazing.
Not for me unfortunately. It wasn't just the awful story, the characters weren't all that compelling, the script was worse than the previous games, embarrassingly so at times, Snake barely said a damn thing, etc.

In terms of the gameplay, while I concede the game handles beautifully for an open world game, the gameplay loop bored me after mission 25 or so. Infiltrating the same bases got old quick, even when I tried to switch up my tactics to each one. The missions started getting monotonous after a while, especially some where I literally had to do the same shit multiple times over. I miss the tight linear structure of previous MGS games.

Awe shinobi black ops 3 :'( the campaign was awful but it has some of the best multiplayer out their.
I'm sure it is, I just stopped playing the MP after about Black Ops 1. I just play the campaigns now.

Hylian7

Gone Home. I had to hide it in a folder in my steam library so I stopped getting angry every time I saw I owned it. Lifetime movie in audiolog format. Ugh.
This. It was like taking the parts of BioShock where your explore rooms and pick up audio recordings and making that it's own game. Setting that aside, it was short and I finished it in under two hours. Luckily I got it on a Steam Sale and didn't pay much for it.

The other big one is Metroid Other M. I really wanted that game to be good, but it simply wasn't at all. It wasn't a good game, nor a good Metroid game. Storyline and Samus characterization issues aside, the gameplay was dull and extremely restricted by the sideways Wiimote control scheme. The combat had a dodge system called "Sensemove", but it was the easiest and worse since all you had to do as tap directions on the d-pad to proc a dodge. Kid Icarus Uprising had something similar, but the difference is it required a " Sakurai Tap " of the Circle Pad and the window to get it in was very precise. Other M's was so nebulous that it would pretty much work no matter when you did it.

On top of that, it ruined Samus's character (don't give me that "You were projecting" defense, I can prove to you that isn't the case.), told a very lame story, and then couldn't even tie up some of it's own plot lines (I'm looking at you "The Deleter", strangely never brought up again). All in all a terrible game, and one that may have killed the franchise, or at least put it in a very long hibernation.

Kadin

The Witcher 2. I just could NOT get into that game and I really liked the first one. I have the special/collector's edition which makes me even a tad more mad as I never have a lot of expendable cash.

ref

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Fell into the hype of it being more like DA:O, was in some ways but the writing was god awful and absurd amount of collectibles to pad game length.

The Order: 1886 - Tutorial/intro turned me off completely. Was excited about it being incredibly atmospheric. Could be missing out.

Piggus

oh yes, i forgot:

GTA 3
GTA San Andreas
GTA IV
GTA V

WHY DO I KEEP BUYING THEM?

Because even though it's the best series in the history of the gaming industry, you don't like them but are still drawn into the hype.

More like "What were game magazines thinking, trying to hype this garbage up as the next GTA III?". Everything was "The next GTA III" back then, though. They tried to say the same shit about The Getaway, too, which was a complete pile of garbage.

Yeah, The Getaway, I regret buying that one, holy shit. Fuck you, game magazines. Some of the worst controls of any game I've ever played in my entire life.

No surprise that the real "next GTA III" turned out to actually be Vice City.

Sooooo true. The pre-publication hype on websites and in gaming mags was definitely why I bought it. And then when my friend and I played it for the first time we were like "yeah this is bad."

Algebrah

P5SKfN5.jpg

I loved Tricky and SSX3. On Tour was okay.

It only took an hour or so before I realized that I hated SSX. The deadly descent stuff was garbage, and worst of all the entire thing had no personality whatsoever.

Coming from someone who played Tricky and SSX3 daily for years. This was a colossal disappointment. If they had just made the gameplay the same as the old game and updated the graphics, it would have been a significantly better game. I still get mad that they messed this one up. They have probably given up trying to resurrect it.

Fez.

I thought I was going to really like it, but then I got lost and discovered that it was just a glorified collect-a-thon. Beautiful game, but just not for me.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The Last of Us remastered. The game couldn't make me give a shit about the story or any og the characters, and I hated the gameplay. Still finished it before I sold it off.

Bloodborne. Not because it was bad or anything, but it was waaaaay too hard for me. Sold that one off too :p

nkarafo

Metal Gear Solid 2, back in the day.

i only bought the game due to hype. I realized these games aren't for me. Still finished it though and enjoyed the first half a bit.

Some recent examples

Sunser Overdrive - Got bored to tears with it like 20 percent of the way through, still beat it
The Mastechief Collection - Didn't work, still have no clue if it works
Just Cause 3 - Still sealed, haven't touched it and have no desire to play it

I regret buying an embarrassingly high amount of games. I'm an addict.

Off the top of my head:

Dark Souls (everyone on GAF goes crazy over this game so I bought it. Not for me)

Dishonored (wasn't the game I was expecting it to be. It was alright but didn't click with me)

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (it was a bad idea to buy this game right after completing The Witcher 3 and Hearts of Stone. I quit after about 2 hours)

Dying Light (GAF kept raving about this gaming being severely underrated, but I ended up hating the layout of missions/gameplay. Too Ubisoft-ish for me)

Fallout 4 (Boring as shit. Mediocre graphics/performance, stiff gameplay, crappy writing. Another game spoiled due to my Witcher 3 playthrough)

Watch_Dogs (I bought into the hype, but this game straight up sucked. Another Ubisoft POS)

Project CARS (wanted a game to show off my new PC. This did the trick, but I was hoping I'd actually enjoy playing it for more than an hour. That didn't happen.)

GTA V (on PC after I already owned it on PS4)

Destiny (played the shit out of the Alpha & Beta, ended up playing the retail game for about an hour)

LittleBigPlanet 3 (payed $60 day one. Played it for about an hour before realizing it was not good)

And finally, I guess I'll add a big one: My entire Xbox One purchase.

Bought it with Sunset Overdrive & The Master Chief Collection. I ended up hating Sunset Overdrive and The Master Chief Collection didn't work. So I held onto the console for another year, playing literally NOTHING on it the whole year, only to pick up Halo 5 when it finally came out, which I found to be very disappointing. I sold the console shortly thereafter and was vindicated when Quantum Break (and potentially more games) was announced for PC.

Top Bottom