• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed [Update: Gameplay Video]

UV-6

I'm down for this. We've already had top notch games in the series. It'll be cool to try something different in, most probably, the last GOW game on the PS3.

witness

I'm absolutely ready to try this out, after being burnt out on military fps's since CoD4 I'm really digging on different kind of multiplayer/co op games.

JB1981

I got the distinct impression from that interview that the multiplayer is extremely early and the team still really doesn't even know what they're doing with it or what the overall direction of the MP should/will be. Kind of disconcerting if you ask me.

As a huge fan of the first two games and the 2nd PSP title, I don't want this. I'd prefer they have GOW3 another shot and fix all their many mistakes.

ReaperXL7

As a huge fan of the first two games and the 2nd PSP title, I don't want this. I'd prefer they have GOW3 another shot and fix all their many mistakes.

that will probably happen with God of War 4 on PS4. Honestly this one seems like more of a side story than a genuine sequel.

They should have released the entire demo video that lured the journalists into thinking that the multiplayer character is Kratos but wasn't. In the live Stream, he played a full video, Sony should release it.

but it's not God of War 4 is my point. I'm expecting this to be similar more in context to something like Chains, or Ghost. I have little doubt that they are saving a proper 4 for PS4.
I can see why they are doing this though. Lots of PlayStation owners know God of War is a big franchise but haven't gotten into it. If they made a GOW4 the whole "4" thing would turn people off. By making this a prequel without a number it makes it a great place to jump into the franchise and can lure more in with the multiplayer. Then with the story lining up perfectly with the start of the original God of War it'll encourage them to play the rest of the story as well.

rdrr gnr

Who wants to bet on how many people will be playing the multiplayer a month after release? Less than 5% of the total purchases? Less than 1%? Even less? I know resource allocation doesn't scale perfectly: an hour of multiplayer content does not mean I missed out on an hour of single-player content, but to say that this addition won't matter is nonsense. Sure -- it could pull a U2, but this a 3rd person hack and slash game. It will not take off.

I'm not looking forward to multiplayer skins for DLC instead of real content.

Himself

That plot premise is trash.

Multiplayer looks...uh...hmm...

Definitely shouldn't have gone ahead with this.

Between this and the possible cancellation of Bayo 2 this has been one seriously shitty day. Of course the MP may end up being decent, but the plot premise sounds incredibly shitty. I was hoping for something real interesting taking place before Kratos killed his family.

Irish

I don't know, anything that makes single-player fighting game fans mad is only a plus in my books.

The motion blur makes this look pretty incredible, I think. It is really insane.

Between this and the possible cancellation of Bayo 2 this has been one seriously shitty day. Of course the MP may end up being decent, but the plot premise sounds incredibly shitty. I was hoping for something real interesting taking place before Kratos killed his family.

Ditto.
Im still hopeful that the single player will be okay, but eh..

I can see now why they idnt announce this at E3.

Himself

Bet case scenario: we get an uber-violent Power Stone style MP which could be pretty damn fun. Worst case scenario: another shitty, forgettable MP. As long as the SP lives up to the series' standard, I won't complain.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Bet case scenario: we get an uber-violent Power Stone style MP which could be pretty damn fun. Worst case scenario: another shitty, forgettable MP. As long as the SP lives up to the series' standard, I won't complain.

No idea about the quality of the MP, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was dead in less than two months.

Loudninja

Customization is a major focus in Ascension, Papy tells me. When the multiplayer mode begins, players go through trials as a tutorial and face off against an enemy they have no chance of defeating. In order to gain victory, players must sell their champion's soul to one of four gods: Zeus, Hades, Ares, or Poseidon. This decision allows players to try out different weapons, armor sets, and perks, inspired by the god of their choice.

"Once you chose your allegiance, you can customize how you want to look," Papy explains. "There's actually six different places you can customize your armor: boots, skirts, gauntlets, chest piece, shoulder piece, and helmet. You can do what you want." Like other persistent character multiplayer titles, Ascension allows Champions to evolve with new items, looks, and even specials and combos over time, each with a tilt based on the god selected for your character.
Possible horde mode
Papy tells me the multiplayer will only have a light story element, so it doesn't appear that the tales told during that part of Ascension will weave themselves into the mythology of Kratos. While multiplayer is focused on competitive modes with co-op partners, the Sony Santa Monica team is still thinking about new modes to include. "We're assessing a 'Horde Mode,'" he responded when asked about modes strictly crafted for co-op play. "We have a great cast of A.I. and if we can possibly get to use those in a 'Horde Mode' then we're going to try, but it's something we're still assessing."
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/30/god-of-war-ascension-multiplayer/

Himself

ugh...why Add multi player where it is not needed. But, with no surprise looks great.

That's the thing. Sure it looks decent enough, but is it necessary? If the SP is lacking in the slightest, there is going to be some serious backlash against the MP and what a waste of resources it turned out to be. I know I'll be pissed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It sort of sounds from this that it's not simply an arena with 8 dudes, but rather there's some progression through a map towards the goal of killing the cyclops.

If they can create something like Unreal Tournament's onslaught mode in the GOW world, with AI enemies and human opponents racing to get to a goal while occasionally running into each other at key points on the map, this could be really interesting.

If it's just 8 dudes in a single area, I'm much less optimistic that I'll like it.

Trevelyan

Banned
That's the thing. Sure it looks decent enough, but is it necessary? If the SP is lacking in the slightest, there is going to be some serious backlash against the MP and what a waste of resources it turned out to be. I know I'll be pissed.

Is anything necessary though? I can argue that Gran Turismo didn't need online multiplayer, the single player was already robust enough. And considering this game has a 3-year dev time, I'm not worried at all about the single player or multiplayer aspect of it at all.

kevm3

As long as the single player mode is up to par, multiplayer mode will be fine... but that's IF the single player mode doesn't take a knock.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is anything necessary though? I can argue that Gran Turismo didn't need online multiplayer, the single player was already robust enough. And considering this game has a 3-year dev time, I'm not worried at all about the single player or multiplayer aspect of it at all.

Gran Turismo multiplayer is the same game as singleplayer but with human opponents. This is clearly a more drastic departure from the GOW formula. It's liable to turn some longtime fans off.

Himself

Now that I've though for a moment I'm just ecstatic that the rumored MP didn't turn out to be a forced co-op campaign. Hallelujah! Let the power stoning begin!

GatorBait

Cautiously skeptical about the idea of multiplayer, and with a game that has done single-player so well, I definitely have some concerns that compromises will be made for that mode. Most of all, I'm disappointed that SSM copped out on the prequel. The game really should have started prior to Kratos giving his life to Ares, then progressed up to and through that point, including the killing of his family. Shake up the gameplay with non-Blades of Chaos weapons, and then reintroduced those weapons later into the game.

I wanted to see them go balls to the wall like with GoW1 -> GoW2 now that they have the engine in place, but I guess the routes they can take with the GoW narrative are quickly drying up.

Trevelyan

Banned
Gran Turismo multiplayer is the same game as singleplayer but with human opponents. This is clearly a more drastic departure from the GOW formula. It's liable to turn some longtime fans off.

Exactly though. That is any game. Take computer opponents and make them human opponents. This is no different at all. The camera is still fixed, level design is familiar, you're just facing off a greater threat - a real person. I do understand where you're coming from, though.

Himself

Cautiously skeptical about the idea of multiplayer, and with a game that has done single-player so well, I definitely have some concerns that compromises will be made for that mode. Most of all, I'm disappointed that SSM copped out on the prequel. The game really should have started prior to Kratos giving his life to Ares, then progressed up to and through that point, including the killing of his family. Shake up the gameplay with non-Blades of Chaos weapons, and then reintroduced those weapons later into the game.

I wanted to see them go balls to the wall like with GoW1 -> GoW2 now that they have the engine in place, but I guess the routes they can take with the GoW narrative are quickly drying up.

Eh, I don't know if the narrative possibilities are drying up, they are just playing it EXTREMELY safe. I was hoping for something very similar to what you were in terms of story.

Himself

Announcement made me cringe, the gameplay video got me excited.

Looks brutal and fun.

You know what...I just watched the trailer again and I can definitely see some good possibilities. I like the fact that they are focusing on "quality, not quantity" in terms of modes and maps, and the apparent emphasis on team work. This could actually turn out pretty damn good.

Raonak

Banned
Huh... gameplay video looks suprisingly good.

Im optimistic that because of this MP, it means that the gow combat will be deeper this time around

Irish

Huh? Why?

Also not sure why he called GOW a fighting game.

My name for what is more commonly referred to as 'action games' and I was talking more about Bayo 2 (basically, the trinity DMC, Bayo, and NG) in that regard, not GoW.

"Grr I hate when people like things I don't like"

Eh, pretty poor fanbase in general. Just walk into any DmC thread. And, yes, I am judging the whole on the vocal minority. :p Of course, I could just be extremely prejudiced when it comes to the Trinity.

---

Seriously though, the motion blur really is nice.

I also like how grapple heavy the combat seems to be in the MP. Definitely makes for some exciting push and pull during the battles.

Variable framerate isn't all that bad as long as tearing is dealt with properly, I suppose. Certainly not the best option by any means.

BHK3

Banned
I welcome the MP.

GoW 3 had very little extra content, the challenge of the gods were piss easy like the psp challenges and there were no costumes. At least now I'll have something to do when I beat the game.

Top Bottom