• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Well they sent my box today.. 3 day ups so it's not coming til thurs =\
Does anyone know what spend the return box for my 360 is gonna be for when I send it back in?

Meier

My 360 isnt getting here until tomorrow apparently. I sent it in on the 6th and am getting it back on the 19th.. bleh. The 2 replacements prior to this didnt take nearly that long and this is supposed to be a new one -- what the **** would the hold up be?!

unomas

Banned
Meier said:
My 360 isnt getting here until tomorrow apparently. I sent it in on the 6th and am getting it back on the 19th.. bleh. The 2 replacements prior to this didnt take nearly that long and this is supposed to be a new one -- what the **** would the hold up be?!

Not enough repair techs for all the broken hardware? The turnaround on these things seems to be taking longer as of late.

ant1532

Banned
Wow. Those mothers just got their $140 from me.

What the **** with that stupid warranty!? Three ****ing monthS!??? Cmon assholes, i just cashed out $400 and the best you give me is three months?

Ah, I wouldn't have done this so quickly if it wasn't for the fact that Gears of War comes out the same week as PS3 and there would be no way I could pay it then.(And the vision comes out and the TGS/X06 thing)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ant1532 said:
Wow. Those mothers just got their $140 from me.

What the **** with that stupid warranty!? Three ****ing monthS!??? Cmon assholes, i just cashed out $400 and the best you give me is three months?

Ah, I wouldn't have done this so quickly if it wasn't for the fact that Gears of War comes out the same week as PS3 and there would be no way I could pay it then.(And the vision comes out and the TGS/X06 thing)

fyi, its pretty easy to talk to a supervisor and get 25% off your repairs...

ant1532

Banned
op_ivy said:
fyi, its pretty easy to talk to a supervisor and get 25% off your repairs...
Heh, well I'm 16 so I pulled the usual "put mom on the phone" who bitched them out quite a lot and asked for a discount several times and to not pay completely. It usually works about 95% of the time too. This fell under the 5%... damn it.(she is paying half and I pay half)

op_ivy

ant1532 said:
Heh, well I'm 16 so I pulled the usual "put mom on the phone" who bitched them out quite a lot and asked for a discount several times and to not pay completely. It usually works about 95% of the time too. This fell under the 5%... damn it.(she is paying half and I pay half)

sounds like an ok deal then!

me, i'm too pissed to pay them to repair my system.... so i'll wait it out and buy a new one. that'll teach em! :lol

HokieJoe

op_ivy said:
sounds like an ok deal then!

me, i'm too pissed to pay them to repair my system.... so i'll wait it out and buy a new one. that'll teach em! :lol

Have you considered trying the hot air gun trick mentioned earlier op_ivy?

op_ivy

HokieJoe said:
Have you considered trying the hot air gun trick mentioned earlier op_ivy?

i think i'm the only one who has! been posting my results, and while it helped, and seemed like it would work, it was, at best a temporary fix. at first everything seemed fine, then i noticed some of the more troublesome games (from unconfirmed reports) crashing 5-15 min in, and now the system will crash regardless of what its doing in about 5 min. really sad.

HokieJoe

op_ivy said:
i think i'm the only one who has! been posting my results, and while it helped, and seemed like it would work, it was, at best a temporary fix. at first everything seemed fine, then i noticed some of the more troublesome games (from unconfirmed reports) crashing 5-15 min in, and now the system will crash regardless of what its doing in about 5 min. really sad.

That sucks dude. I watched the hot air gun video and then googled over to the XboxHacker board and did some reading. I have a launch sx that's still running, but I'm starting to get worried. :(

Like a moron, I waited too long to buy the MS 2 Year Warranty that came with the system.

Bleh! My 360 finally turned on after 100+ attempts with the lights of doom. I played a game for a good hour and reset thinking it was fixed.. She doesn't turn on anymore again =[

op_ivy

HokieJoe said:
That sucks dude. I watched the hot air gun video and then googled over to the XboxHacker board and did some reading. I have a launch sx that's still running, but I'm starting to get worried. :(

Like a moron, I waited too long to buy the MS 2 Year Warranty that came with the system.

yeah, its a bummer. the first time i tried it, it booted to the dash, but i kept getting the graphical errors. i did it again thinking that i just didnt heat it enough and it was much improed but has since returned to the constant crash stage. i'm not getting any errors though, which is good i guess. its still entirely out of its case, so i figure i'll give it one more good go at the heating thing, though i dont expect much.

HokieJoe

op_ivy said:
yeah, its a bummer. the first time i tried it, it booted to the dash, but i kept getting the graphical errors. i did it again thinking that i just didnt heat it enough and it was much improed but has since returned to the constant crash stage. i'm not getting any errors though, which is good i guess. its still entirely out of its case, so i figure i'll give it one more good go at the heating thing, though i dont expect much.

Some guy said that he heated his more on the back side, with the GPU facing down. His reasoning was that the solder would flow down toward the pins that way. Good luck. Hope you can get it to working.

fartblast

Banned
prologue

Mine took a shit on me as well. I'm pretty much through with that thing unless Halo 3 lives up to the hype and after 2 I can't say I have much faith. Not even trying to troll, just still a little pissed off is all. It was a launch unit BTW -- camped out 14 hours for the pos too. Called M$ and told them I supported them since day one, thousands of kids cried on Christmas because they probably had a broken 360, and that they're a billion dollar corporation and the least they could do was replace a day one adopter's system for free. They still wanted $140 so I told them to get ****ed. Also like how it started to shit the day after I paid off my HDTV.

epilogue

Anyway, it all started a few months ago with GRAW. I was playing single-player and then geometry started disappearing... moments later the screen just locked up. Could it have been overheating, or a software glitch? Maybe a glitch within the 360 itself? I still don't know. After I boot the system I got those three AWESOME RED LIGHTS. Messed around with the thing for a bit and it booted up. A few days later the same thing happened. Could have been a few hours later, I still don't remember because it was a while ago.

Months went by with errors at all. I thought I was in the clear! Nope.

Then a few weeks ago when I was playing Dead Rising, I started getting these weird graphical glitches in Dead Rising. It was like everything had this weird tone to it... I don't really feel articulating what it exactly looked like. (Ever get the purple texture errors in HL2/CS:S on PC? It was sorta like that, but way minor.) I turned it off and played the next day and didn't notice a thing and had a little fun I guess -- DR wasn't really my bag anyway so I moved on to Saint's Row.

That's where my 360 just started to crap the diaper -- Saint's Row. I'd just be wandering around Stilwater and whenever the camera hit whatever arbitrary angle, the shadows would get all weird. It looked like snow, if snow could take on the form of shadows. Pretty much just a weird graphical glitch. I tried taking the speaker off the top of my TV thinking it was electromagnetical interference and booted the system up... the glitch was gone! Oh wait no it wasn't, it only lasted for a short while before coming back.

So then I tried going back to Dead Rising. This time, it was just completely absurd. I couldn't even make out the graphics... it was just a whole bunch of artifacts out the ass and shit, distorted color and all. I couldn't even play the game it was so bad.

Turned the system off, turned it back on. This time the system wouldn't even boot up and gave me and error code, E-74. I said **** Xbox 360, **** Microsoft, and **** this overheating, loud piece of shit.

It really is quite ridiculous how bad the failure rate is on this Xbox 360 is. The day it finally shat on me, I took it to Best Buy to try and exchange it for another one. The funniest part of this, and I'm not making this shit up, is that there were two other gentlemen in the returns/exchange line. Two guys, you say? Big deal. Both of them had broken Xbox 360s and one of them said he was at the EB nearby and there were three (3!!) people there returning broken 360s. That's six of us in a two-mile radius with broken Xboxen.

So I took my Xbox (RIP) to EB and got store credit, a nice shiny PS2 slim, and a handful of awesome games. Having not played much PS2 this whole gen, on top of not owning one, I figured it'd be a perfect time to catch up on some classics: God of War, DMC3, GT4, Ratchet & Clank 3, Metal Gear Solid 3 (yes a new sealed copy of Subsistence bitches), not to mention others (and Okami which comes out tomorrow!).

You may remember me (yes that's right fartblast) as the proud Sargent at Arms of the Xbot Defense Force. Not anymore. Like I said, I'm done with 360. Until Microsoft can make a console that doesn't require a third party accessory to remain cool and finally adds an HD-DVD drive, I'm PS3 for life. You know, the console that's actually quiet as a hummingbird and doesn't overheat.

If you read this, consider yourself a true internet friend... until then, happy gaming. I know I'll be enjoying my PS2 and plethora of awesome games til PS3 comes out.

I'd get into other reasons why I hate 360 but that's for another day.

MMaRsu

Banned
fartblast said:
prologue

Mine took a shit on me as well. I'm pretty much through with that thing unless Halo 3 lives up to the hype and after 2 I can't say I have much faith. Not even trying to troll, just still a little pissed off is all. It was a launch unit BTW -- camped out 14 hours for the pos too. Called M$ and told them I supported them since day one, thousands of kids cried on Christmas because they probably had a broken 360, and that they're a billion dollar corporation and the least they could do was replace a day one adopter's system for free. They still wanted $140 so I told them to get ****ed. Also like how it started to shit the day after I paid off my HDTV.

epilogue

Anyway, it all started a few months ago with GRAW. I was playing single-player and then geometry started disappearing... moments later the screen just locked up. Could it have been overheating, or a software glitch? Maybe a glitch within the 360 itself? I still don't know. After I boot the system I got those three AWESOME RED LIGHTS. Messed around with the thing for a bit and it booted up. A few days later the same thing happened. Could have been a few hours later, I still don't remember because it was a while ago.

Months went by with errors at all. I thought I was in the clear! Nope.

Then a few weeks ago when I was playing Dead Rising, I started getting these weird graphical glitches in Dead Rising. It was like everything had this weird tone to it... I don't really feel articulating what it exactly looked like. (Ever get the purple texture errors in HL2/CS:S on PC? It was sorta like that, but way minor.) I turned it off and played the next day and didn't notice a thing and had a little fun I guess -- DR wasn't really my bag anyway so I moved on to Saint's Row.

That's where my 360 just started to crap the diaper -- Saint's Row. I'd just be wandering around Stilwater and whenever the camera hit whatever arbitrary angle, the shadows would get all weird. It looked like snow, if snow could take on the form of shadows. Pretty much just a weird graphical glitch. I tried taking the speaker off the top of my TV thinking it was electromagnetical interference and booted the system up... the glitch was gone! Oh wait no it wasn't, it only lasted for a short while before coming back.

So then I tried going back to Dead Rising. This time, it was just completely absurd. I couldn't even make out the graphics... it was just a whole bunch of artifacts out the ass and shit, distorted color and all. I couldn't even play the game it was so bad.

Turned the system off, turned it back on. This time the system wouldn't even boot up and gave me and error code, E-74. I said **** Xbox 360, **** Microsoft, and **** this overheating, loud piece of shit.

It really is quite ridiculous how bad the failure rate is on this Xbox 360 is. The day it finally shat on me, I took it to Best Buy to try and exchange it for another one. The funniest part of this, and I'm not making this shit up, is that there were two other gentlemen in the returns/exchange line. Two guys, you say? Big deal. Both of them had broken Xbox 360s and one of them said he was at the EB nearby and there were three (3!!) people there returning broken 360s. That's six of us in a two-mile radius with broken Xboxen.

So I took my Xbox (RIP) to EB and got store credit, a nice shiny PS2 slim, and a handful of awesome games. Having not played much PS2 this whole gen, on top of not owning one, I figured it'd be a perfect time to catch up on some classics: God of War, DMC3, GT4, Ratchet & Clank 3, Metal Gear Solid 3 (yes a new sealed copy of Subsistence bitches), not to mention others (and Okami which comes out tomorrow!).

You may remember me (yes that's right fartblast) as the proud Sargent at Arms of the Xbot Defense Force. Not anymore. Like I said, I'm done with 360. Until Microsoft can make a console that doesn't require a third party accessory to remain cool and finally adds an HD-DVD drive, I'm PS3 for life. You know, the console that's actually quiet as a hummingbird and doesn't overheat.

If you read this, consider yourself a true internet friend... until then, happy gaming. I know I'll be enjoying my PS2 and plethora of awesome games til PS3 comes out.

I'd get into other reasons why I hate 360 but that's for another day.

I read it all m8, you have my condolances..

Foil

Does anyone know if the MS warrenty for the 360 is transferable? For example if you sold your system, could you transfer the warrenty over to their name?

ant1532

Banned
DopeyFish said:
wow.

my xbox 360 arrived
i got the box, sent the box out and received all in 4 business days o_O
WOH. Can you make this a little easier to udnerstand though?
Ex:
Called Monday, got box next day and put system in and shipped it same day(Tuesday, and then got my 360 back Thursday.

Is that how it went down?

rs7k

Foil said:
Does anyone know if the MS warrenty for the 360 is transferable? For example if you sold your system, could you transfer the warrenty over to their name?

Well, I bought mine off eBay and I was covered by warranty. However, the system was brand new.

Meier

I finally got my 360 today.. after sending the original out like 3 weeks ago. The born on date is 4/23/06 which makes me worry it isnt a new unit like I was told I'd receive, but I guess it's at least not 11/05 or so like most of the replacements are. I'm worried this is gonna **** up on me too. :(

fartblast

Banned
Meier said:
I finally got my 360 today.. after sending the original out like 3 weeks ago. The born on date is 4/23/06 which makes me worry it isnt a new unit like I was told I'd receive, but I guess it's at least not 11/05 or so like most of the replacements are. I'm worried this is gonna **** up on me too. :(

honestly dude... it probably will. i hope it doesn't but after going to the store and seeing a few other people returning broken xbox 360s at the same time as me (it was a few days ago so it's not like it was a post-launch mess-up), i never want to see one of those things in my house again.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ant1532 said:
WOH. Can you make this a little easier to udnerstand though?
Ex:
Called Monday, got box next day and put system in and shipped it same day(Tuesday, and then got my 360 back Thursday.

Is that how it went down?

called tuesday night, got box thursday morning, sent out box on thursday night, received email on monday night that they got the 360, got my 360 this morning

Just wondering, I'm waiting for my coffin to come. What speed is the prepaid box I'm going to be returning it in? Also what city is it going to go to?

Joeroll

DarkAngelYuna said:
Just wondering, I'm waiting for my coffin to come. What speed is the prepaid box I'm going to be returning it in? Also what city is it going to go to?

3 day select. Goes to McAllen, TX. I sent my console on Saturday, apparently it will arrive there tomorrow(wednesday). I'll probably get it on Monday and miss some cool demos and crap. :\

I'm in southern CA if you want anymore information on how long to expect the process to take. It's usually 14 days for me(yes i've done it multiple times).

Joeroll said:
3 day select. Goes to McAllen, TX. I sent my console on Saturday, apparently it will arrive there tomorrow(wednesday). I'll probably get it on Monday and miss some cool demos and crap. :\

I'm in southern CA if you want anymore information on how long to expect the process to take. It's usually 14 days for me(yes i've done it multiple times).

Argh, they're even cheap on the shipping. Please tell me the new system isn't just sent 3 day select also? :(

unomas

Banned
DopeyFish said:
called tuesday night, got box thursday morning, sent out box on thursday night, received email on monday night that they got the 360, got my 360 this morning

It took 3 weeks for me from the time I put the call in to the time I got it back. They must have special shipping for first timers. :)

Hajaz

mine had been given the three red lights error for about a month.

in my country we have 2 year of waranty but unfortunatly i voided it by opening my case.

anyway. yoday i finally opened it up and performed the hot airgun fix.

for now it seems to be fixed, has been running saints row and pgr3 for an hpir or so without hanging

Mojovonio said:
hey guys, got mine back today.

Its a brand friggin new console, manu date in the 06 range.

Thank you MS!
How exactly can you tell?

Got mine in one of those Xbox 360 plastic bags, along with an Xbox Live folder for some reason. Stickers were in place on the discdrive and infrared thingie. Born on date: 2006-07-02. But none of this necessarily means it's new?

Mojovonio

Banned
VibratingDonkey said:
How exactly can you tell?

Got mine in one of those Xbox 360 plastic bags, along with an Xbox Live folder for some reason. Stickers were in place on the discdrive and infrared thingie. Born on date: 2006-07-02. But none of this necessarily means it's new?

The casing is pristine (unlike some refurbs I've seen) and it had the dvdtray sticker, which the refubs I saw don't.

Mojovonio

Banned
Grifter said:
Awesome! Did you have to request a new one?

MS is on a roll. :)

Nope.

Its really quiet too and as stupid as it sounds, the eject button is much firmer than my previous one. The whole system just feels and sounds more solid.

rs7k

Hajaz said:
mine had been given the three red lights error for about a month.

in my country we have 2 year of waranty but unfortunatly i voided it by opening my case.

anyway. yoday i finally opened it up and performed the hot airgun fix.

for now it seems to be fixed, has been running saints row and pgr3 for an hpir or so without hanging

You might want to take down that avatar of yours.

Orlics

Funny story: about a month ago, my Xbox 360 (purchased May 06, but strangely enough, manufactured 10/05) got the three red lights. Error 0110. After some research I figured my only option was to call MS and have it replaced, paying them $130 and all.

This is where things became difficult. I had imported the 360 from the US, but I live in the Philippines, which is quite literally on the other side of the globe. I didn't want to call the Xbox Support line and have my parents pay the expensive international fees to place the call. Luckily, my dad was on a business trip to Atlanta so I emailed him to call them up, giving him the necessary info. He talked to them and had the empty box delivered to a relative in NYC.

It was hell getting the 360 to the US. Just last week I had to give my unit to my uncle, who works as an ambassador. He had the unit for a few days he was in Cuba, then he dropped it off when he passed NYC. Just yesterday my aforementioned relative picked up the 360 and is going to send it soon.

This isn't really what pisses me off. It's just that from reading this thread, I realize I run the risk of having my replacement unit be another defective one. I don't want to have my parents go through the trouble of getting the 360 all the way across the world to Redmond. I don't want to be without my next-gen console for such a long time, playing DS games to pass the time (which, by the way, get released here in the Philippines a few weeks later than in the US. I still can't find Megaman ZX).

As a consolation, the MS employee my father spoke to a month ago apparently knew about the promo to waive the repair fee for 360s manufactured last year. Still, I wonder if all the trouble (and expense) of sending my unit there is worth it.

Karg

Well a game of NHL '07 over the weekend started the evil Red Ring of Doom monster for my 360. Started to freeze and restarts worked for a bit but finally everytime I would turn it on I'd get the red lights. I had gotten my 360 replaced back in March and didn't have any problems until I started playing NHL '07. Hmmm....

Checked the manufacture date on the back and 12-22-05......sweetness. Called MS and they're fixing it for free (or give me another new one). Waiting for my box today.

Well it seems my 360 I sent them is out for delivery. I'll be calling them as soon as it's signed for today. They WILL send my new system out fast or they're csr's will fear me.

Razoric

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
Well it seems my 360 I sent them is out for delivery. I'll be calling them as soon as it's signed for today. They WILL send my new system out fast or they're csr's will fear me.

Mine was sent out today too. I hope I get it back in time for the X06 downloads. :(

Top Bottom