• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

VibratingDonkey said:
How exactly can you tell?

Got mine in one of those Xbox 360 plastic bags, along with an Xbox Live folder for some reason. Stickers were in place on the discdrive and infrared thingie. Born on date: 2006-07-02. But none of this necessarily means it's new?

Not necessarily, but its close enough and a heck of a lot better than those damaged yellow refurbished ones.

Chiggs

Got my 360 back from McAllen last week. Get this:

1. Same serial number.
2. Different DVD drive (was a shitty Samsung, now an extremely quiet Hitachi).
3. System runs A LOT cooler. The difference is staggering.

If I was a braver soul, I'd crack the thing open and see what kind of modifications they did.

Chiggs said:
Got my 360 back from McAllen last week. Get this:

1. Same serial number.
2. Different DVD drive (was a shitty Samsung, now an extremely quiet Hitachi).
3. System runs A LOT cooler. The difference is staggering.

If I was a braver soul, I'd crack the thing open and see what kind of modifications they did.

What was your problem to begin with? I'm too lazy to read this thread..

madmook

Damn 360 went dead on me last Friday... while I was just browsing the dashboard. =| Just called 4myxbox on Saturday and got a service number. Now to wait for the box. I am hoping beyond hope that the newer one is quieter. If I had one and only one gripe with my 360 experience thusfar (and I've had it since launch), it would be the loud-ass dvd drive. I don't even care if they give me a refurbished or brand new unit, I want it to have the quieter (Hitachi?) drive. Sumumabitch....

The Faceless Master said:
my 360 is dying... it works for 2-15 minutes before locking up, then i get the xmas lights if i turn it off and on... if i leave it for a few hours it'll work again for a short while, then xmas lights again... i'm gonna try doing this since the symptoms seem to match up, and since i have a pre-launch 9every10minutes) unit it's obviously not under warranty anymore...

guess the saints row marathons were too much... and i just got the 20 hours achievement too...

7950026kw2.jpg
missionaccomplishedpm7.jpg

heatgun360wx2.jpg

let's see how long this lasts...

Well I just got off the phone with them and they claim to have sent my replacement yesterday.. however the tracking number they gave me doesn't work. HM

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
DarkAngelYuna said:
Well I just got off the phone with them and they claim to have sent my replacement yesterday.. however the tracking number they gave me doesn't work. HM

They never do. Don't worry.

Chiggs

DarkAngelYuna said:
What was your problem to begin with? I'm too lazy to read this thread..

I was getting dirty disc errors and the dvd drive's disc tray would occasionally get "stuck".

Chiggs

madmook I want it to have the quieter (Hitachi?) drive. Sumumabitch....[/QUOTE said:
The Samsung's are generally the quieter drives, but I personally feel they're less stable.

Chiggs said:
I was getting dirty disc errors and the dvd drive's disc tray would occasionally get "stuck".

Ah, it took like 5+ tries to open my dvd drive everytime I tried to use it.. I put up with it then got the 3 red rings. That just made me remember I didn't even tell them about the drive error when I sent it in.. *scared I'm getting a repaired system back but still with the dvd problem :( *

Well the tracking number works.. turns out they shipped it today, not yesterday like they claimed. They also shipped it via 3 day which means not the overnight as promised by the supervisor.. once I'm more awake someone at the 800# will die.

Joeroll

DarkAngelYuna said:
Well the tracking number works.. turns out they shipped it today, not yesterday like they claimed. They also shipped it via 3 day which means not the overnight as promised by the supervisor.. once I'm more awake someone at the 800# will die.

Wow, you got overnight shipping out of them? Well at least him telling you they would. I couldn't :\. My tracking number says I'm getting it on friday... after ALMOST a month. They need to make better shipping available. At least 2day shipping.

Razoric

Banned
Joeroll said:
Wow, you got overnight shipping out of them? Well at least him telling you they would. I couldn't :\. My tracking number says I'm getting it on friday... after ALMOST a month. They need to make better shipping available. At least 2day shipping.

Same. I should be getting my 360 on thurs or friday. It broke on Sept 4th. :\

I just called but didn't feel like bitching about the shipping.. I just wanted to ask if they repaired mine or sent a refurb.. They can't even find out the claim.. Only way to know is when it comes is the little note inside saying if its replaced or repaired.. wth

Omg what the hell is ups doing? Microshit sent my 360 back to me yesterday, it's supposed to come Friday. I live in nyc.. I go to track it just a minute ago and see
HOUSTON,
09/27/2006 6:50 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

WTFFFFFFFFFF

Anyone with broken 360s have any luck getting anything "free" out of Microsoft? It really annoys me knowing that I'm paying for a Live account that I can't use because my system has been broken 3/4 of the duration of my subscription.

Grifter

Chiggs said:
My experience with the Samsung drives lead me to believe that they're more prone to dirty disc errors.

OK, so it may just be you, I suppose. I wouldn't mind tho, I have a Hitachi drive and it's friggin loud so I was wishing I got a Samsung.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My 360 is dying (dithering-like red and green lights when using the optical drive). I'm getting the free repair but I have to ship the item to them myself. No coffin for me. :(

1st console to ever break down on me. It figures, since the only other non-Nintendo console I ever owned was Dreamcast.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Anyone with broken 360s have any luck getting anything "free" out of Microsoft? It really annoys me knowing that I'm paying for a Live account that I can't use because my system has been broken 3/4 of the duration of my subscription.

Complain enough to get either PDZ, Kameo or some other crappy game for free, I don't remember which one it is at the moment.

I'm watching the Philadelphia nightly news they are running a Consumer Reports segment about the headaches consumers in the area are getting with Xbox360's overheating and having problems reading games. They are showing pissed off moms on the phone with MS support because little Johnny and Billy's Xbox360 is not working.

The casuals are starting to take notice, the great class action lawsuit has begun!

*Edit: Here found the article that corresponds to the segment: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=consumer&id=4606396

SonnyBoy

DarkAngelYuna said:
Omg what the hell is ups doing? Microshit sent my 360 back to me yesterday, it's supposed to come Friday. I live in nyc.. I go to track it just a minute ago and see
HOUSTON,
09/27/2006 6:50 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

WTFFFFFFFFFF

Whats the issue? If its 3-day its probally on a sleeper truck heading heading for NY or it may be on a plane where it'll be taken to the Philly air hub and then distributed to your local center. It'll be there. :)

Lo-Volt

Eek. My replacement 360 was just turned on, and it's fan sounds loud and rough when it used to be relatively silent. What does that mean?
And can someone just give my money back after this crap? I don't want my second 360 to die if something is about to get worse, but I can't keep going with this 'system dies, now pony up for a new 2-year warranty' song and dance.

Chiggs

Lo-Volt said:
Eek. My replacement 360 was just turned on, and it's fan sounds loud and rough when it used to be relatively silent. What does that mean?

It means they changed the voltage on your fans. That's how they "fix" the problem. Way to go, Microsoft!

Lo-Volt

Chiggs said:
It means they changed the voltage on your fans. That's how they fix the "problem". Way to go, Microsoft!

That's not what I meant. Lemme start over:

I got a new 360 this summer to replace a dying model from BB. It's been working well until I turned it on less than an hour ago, when the fan started making a loud and harsh buzz. I'm afraid that it means something else will happen and I'll be stuck with forcing a new replacement and getting another warranty and not being able to end this misery. Someone help. :( :S

Razoric

Banned
Just got my replacement 360 and played some Saints Row.

Question, do 360s usually get really hot in the back? Or is that a sure fire sign this one will break too?

pr0cs

Razoric said:
When I touch it, its warmer than warm. :lol

Nah most of the more graphically/computationally intensive games (Saint's Row, Oblivion, Kameo, etc) are good at working out the hardware. All that tech stuffed in a box that is probably too small makes the case get warm.

Took exactly two weeks but I just got my replacement a few moments ago. Manf date is now 8-6-06 so I'm pretty sure its brand new.. Though the front usb cover is stuck pushed in and has a crack under it.. wtf.
Oh yay. trying to send my friends a voice message saying I'm back but the dash froze..

Dot50Cal

Banned
My experience (about a month old now):

Coffin Arrives....I call for a pickup as instructed....Except MS is cutting costs and the label they provided comes with a $10.00 charge for pickup + gas. I can either:

A) Eat the charge
B) Take it to a local UPS place
C) Find a UPS Truck and give it to him

Problems:

A) I dont carry cash and Im certainly not paying a charge, especially not a rediculous 10 dollar one
B) The only one is 20 miles away, in a town I hardly have even been in
C) Good luck.

I called microsoft but thanks to their outsourcing I got a guy who said:

"WELCA T XBOS CU SR"

I hung up. If I cant understand you then how are you supposed to address my problem, DAMNIT.

Then even after the new one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri9iQNp098w

Had to format the HDD, however the disc read errors still persist with the HDD attached. Its obviously a problem with the HDD but Im too lazy to send my entire console out again. :(

Entire progress:
http://www.the-horror.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596

Razoric

Banned
I have a dilemma...

Yesterday I finally got my 360 back after almost a month. I still havent done shit in Saints Row and have a lot of other games that I paid for that I'd actually like to play. Here's the problem... the 'new' 360 I got (date built: 1/6/2006) is obviously used and very roughed up.

1. it runs hot, hotter than my last one that broke
2. there is a crack in the vent on the side the harddrive attaches to
3. some of the little lights on the 360 power button seem to be burnt out or dont work

So basically, I bought a 360, 3 months later it breaks for no reason, now i get a used, busted up piece of shit that will most likely break again.

What are my options here? I don't want to send it out and wait ANOTHER month to play games I've already spent money on, but I'm not sure it should be satisfied with the piece of junk they sent me to replace my new system.

Anyone else run into this?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Razoric said:
I have a dilemma...

Yesterday I finally got my 360 back after almost a month. I still havent done shit in Saints Row and have a lot of other games that I paid for that I'd actually like to play. Here's the problem... the 'new' 360 I got (date built: 1/6/2006) is obviously used and very roughed up.

3. some of the little lights on the 360 power button seem to be burnt out or dont work

So basically, I bought a 360, 3 months later it breaks for no reason, now i get a used, busted up piece of shit that will most likely break again.

What are my options here? I don't want to send it out and wait ANOTHER month to play games I've already spent money on, but I'm not sure it should be satisfied with the piece of junk they sent me to replace my new system.

Sell it on ebay once the 65nm version comes out and use the profits to buy the new one + EB warranty.....Its what Im doing.

Here's what my big white bookend is doing:

I can start her up and mess around the dashboard fine. Can watch videos without a problem too. But when I start playing a demo or XBLA game it will lock up anywhere from immediately to a minute or two afterwards. No red lights, although it will occasionally freeze on the startup screen.

Edit: Heh, I just tried it again for the hell of it and it froze while my controller was rumbling and it kept rumbling. Yay.

Mojovonio

Banned
Razoric said:
I have a dilemma...

It took A MONTH? It took mine like a week to get the box, send it in and get brand new console back.

Lo-Volt

In all seriousness, if this ever does happen to me again and I need to replace my 360 with another console, I wouldn't be surprised if I chuck it off a bridge. Or sell it.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Son of Godzilla said:
Here's what my big white bookend is doing:

I can start her up and mess around the dashboard fine. Can watch videos without a problem too. But when I start playing a demo or XBLA game it will lock up anywhere from immediately to a minute or two afterwards. No red lights, although it will occasionally freeze on the startup screen.

Edit: Heh, I just tried it again for the hell of it and it froze while my controller was rumbling and it kept rumbling. Yay.

Mine started doing the exact same thing yesterday, I can still play XBLA games and watch the video's I downloaded but if it's disc based or a 360 demo it freezes...

My wife called customer service and UPS will be picking it up on monday...

Now I'm worried about what I'll get sent back, my console is in "like new" condition, I don't want some manky yellowed dented cracked P.O.S to replace it...

C4Lukins

RIP little 360. You almost made it a year. I will miss you. I especially will miss all the damn downloadable content that will be gone in the next couple of days.

I just got back from a trip, exicted to download doom and all of the stuff I've missed from X06 to find the three red lights of death. I ejected the disk to find Lucky Number Slevin in there. My bastard roomates teamed up with Bruce to murder my 360.

Benadryl Hitman said:
I'm watching the Philadelphia nightly news they are running a Consumer Reports segment about the headaches consumers in the area are getting with Xbox360's overheating and having problems reading games. They are showing pissed off moms on the phone with MS support because little Johnny and Billy's Xbox360 is not working.

The casuals are starting to take notice, the great class action lawsuit has begun!

*Edit: Here found the article that corresponds to the segment: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=consumer&id=4606396

ah, Nydia Han. You know she's been accused of being paid by Sony for some of her other articles? Its really quite interesting when you do alittle digging into her ties.

She's most famous for the "Nintendo DS is a playground for pedophiles' article she wrote a little before the PSP launch. That 'action report' made national news IIRC.

C4Lukins

Benadryl Hitman said:

What sort of class action lawsuit? I bought my 360 at launch, it just died, they are sending me the box now to get it fixed. I guess I could sue them for the 10 days to 2 months I am going to miss out on playing my 360, and the wasted 6 to 12 dollars of live service, but really. Really. Really. Are any of us that bored? With the exception of those who actually would do a local nightly news interview? Or watch one for that matter?

lol her DS article is still there, priceless!

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=special_coverage&id=3905371&ft=sm

Feb. 14, 2006 - We have an important warning for parents. Today marks the three-month anniversary of the launch of the Nintendo DS Wireless Connection. But Action News has learned this popular gaming system could put kids in harm's way.

Parents buy the system so their children can play video games. But we have made an alarming discovery. Strangers can use this toy to lure unsuspecting children to dangerous places.

<snip>
"It could be putting your children at risk."
<snip>

Theresa's 11-year-old daughter, Emily, likes to doodle so she's using the Nintendo DS Pictochat feature. Pictochat puts you right into a chatroom and lets you send messages wirelessly, and on this day we are in one of Philadelphia's many Wi-Fi hotspots.

Theresa Keel/Center City: "This screen name pops up and asks her what her name is and how old she is, and she answers."

Emily Keel/Center City: "And I just felt a little scared and confused."

This has happened to the Keel's once before. But this time the screen name is so offensive, we can't even show it to you.

"It frightened me. It really did."

The stranger asks Emily: "Hey what's up? Are you still here? My name's Jud. What's your name?"

"But it was scary to me as a parent that someone I don't know is talking to my child over what I consider a toy."

And Jud is persistent. When Emily won't tell him where she lives. He says, "Why won't you tell me? Don't want to chat? Why not? Are you afraid?"

:lol

Bloodwake

My 360 ****ed up :(

But, they are fixing it for free. Somehow, my roommate convinced them. I don't know , and I don't want to know. All I know is Microsoft's sending me the bill, fronting the shipping, and my problems are solved.

Top Bottom