• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Firemind

I think Mewtwo can have Focus Blast so you might be onto something here with Gengar.

I have kinda learned to hold my tongue on this isuee, but there's virtually no practical difference between a 75% IV Pokemon and a 100% IV perfect Pokemon. I wouldn't get too hung up on catching perfect ones. As long as they are 80%+ and have max Attack, they're pretty much the best they're going to be.
A three man group I know just successfully completed a Zapdos raid with 5 seconds left. Nice challenge!

GulAtiCa

Might as well just farm Tyranitar raids, since raids are your best bet for 100% stats. Should be nearly 20 times more common, no?

Absolutely. Actually, 1 of my 98% Tyranitars was from a raid (I pinapped it actually! lol). Though I don't see them around as much. Kinda hoping T5 raids calm down a bit and T4 (esp Tyranitars) show up more often.

I actually got to do a Tyranitar raid on Wednesday last week. Really felt nice.

border

Prepping Mewtwo counters might be a solid plan. Tyranitar (bite/crunch), Houndoom (snarl/foul play), Scizor (fury cutter/x-scissor), and Pinsir (bug bite/x-scissor), more or less in that order. Gengar (hex or sucker punch/shadow ball) is also one of the best attackers against Mewtwo (apparently you can theoretically two-man Mewtwo with 12 maxed out Gengar), but it's a glass canon due to its poison typing
I'm over 250 rare candies again. Starting to think of what I should power up next as well. Obviously don't need more Dratini candies, lol. Larvitar candies is above 200 and good for moment. Already got 4 lv 30+ Tyranitars (though I'd like to fully level up the 2 98%.)

Yeah, I think the smartest course of action at this point is to work on a team of Level 30 Dark-types. Not only does that prepare you to face MewTwo, but it will also hopefully make it possible to solo Gengar and Alakazam raids.

I wish I had better access to Houndours though, since it looks like I am going to be stuck using Umbreon and Tyranitar.

Isn't Gengar going to get completely rocked in any raid against a psychic type?

Depends on the moveset. Mewtwo can have Hyper Beam and Focus Blast, which Gengar resists, with the latter being a double resistance. If it's got Psycho Cut, the weaker of the two quick moves, even better.

Still obviously a little risky to lean on, since Mewtwo's best moveset will cut through Gengar like a hot knife through butter. I'd lean on Tyranitar, even if it doesn't hit as hard, since it will tank through way more damage. Still weak to Focus Blast, but that's 1/4 charge moves to look out for, versus 2/4 with Gengar, so you have better odds.

Pinsir and Scizor do benefit from having no weaknesses in play though too.

Firemind

Isn't Gengar going to get completely rocked in any raid against a psychic type?
Like in any raid, dps matters. Mewtwo can have Psycho Cut which while super effective isn't a great defending move. It can also have Hyper Beam and Focus Blast which Gengar resists. Tyranitar for example would be weak to Focus Blast.

People still don't seem to realize that you can leave and rejoin battles midway together to maximize dps and therefore the damage bonus you receive together. I was guilty of that myself when I suggested Blissey is a great choice as a sixth slot. I still see a lot of 15-20 man groups that don't coordinate and get frustrated when they don't catch the raid boss. The difference between getting +6 balls for damage and team majority and getting just 6 balls (technically 5) from defeating the raid boss is huge. So if you get frustrated from raid bosses running away, coordinate and organize small groups, choose high dps, leave halfway, heal, rejoin and finish the boss. It will cost you more potions and revives in the end, but the increased odds of capturing the boss should matter in the long run.

border

People still don't seem to realize that you can leave and rejoin battles midway together to maximize dps and therefore the damage bonus you receive together.

I am more concerned about raid solo'ing Gengar v. Alakazam and Gengar v Gengar. Those are situations where there will not be time to heal up.

It appears Mewtwo is live in Japan at the event going on there, with 9+ hour timers.

Yup, confirmed all over. 9+ hour timers, 100% catch rate, base of 50 premier balls. Also heard there's a 15 minute fight timer though I'm not positive that part is legit.

HardRojo

It appears Mewtwo is live in Japan at the event going on there, with 9+ hour timers.

Yup, confirmed all over. 9+ hour timers, 100% catch rate, base of 50 premier balls. Also heard there's a 15 minute fight timer though I'm not positive that part is legit.
Lol Mewtwos for everyone over there. I wonder how hard to catch he'll actually be. Hopefully it takes a while for him to arrive in other territories, I wanna rest a bit.

zaphod79

http://pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/en/post/exclusiveraids

Repeats of the birds until the 31st of August and some 'special events' for Mewtwo

Trainers,

Earlier today, Trainers battled against the Legendary Pokémon Mewtwo at the Pokémon GO Stadium event in Yokohama, Japan. Thousands of Trainers in attendance were able to successfully catch Mewtwo and add it to their Pokédexes. In the coming weeks, you, too, will have the opportunity to battle and catch Mewtwo with the new Exclusive Raid Battle feature.

Exclusive Raid Battles are similar to existing Raid Battles, with a few notable differences. Exclusive raids will periodically appear at Gyms around the world; however, unlike existing raids, Trainers will be invited to join an Exclusive Raid Battle. To receive an invitation to participate in an Exclusive Raid Battle, Trainers must have successfully completed a raid recently, by defeating the Raid Boss, at the Gym where the Exclusive Raid Battle will be taking place. The invitations will include advance warning of when the Exclusive Raid will take place, giving them ample time to coordinate with other Trainers before taking on the powerful Raid Boss.

Mewtwo is the first Pokémon that Trainers will be able to face in Exclusive Raid Battles, but other powerful Pokémon may also start to hatch from the Raid Eggs found at Exclusive Raid Battles over the next several weeks. Make sure you're prepared to battle Mewtwo by powering up your Pokémon and battling in raids at Gyms near you!

Legendary Pokémon Take Flight
Over the past three weeks, thousands of Legendary Pokémon have been defeated in Raid Battles around the world. In celebration of this achievement and to give Trainers another chance to catch Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Lugia, all four of these Legendary Pokémon can be battled in Raid Battles from August 14 through August 31. Be on the lookout for these Legendary Pokémon at a raid near you!

HardRojo

Welp. Guess I'll eat my words from yesterday and go out raiding this weekend again, I need Articuno as I didn't catch it before, but I won't worry about IVs too much this time guys :D You're right.

I really hope I don't get invited to a downtown Chicago raid once I leave work, and hope I don't get invited to a raid near my house once I go to work lol. I wonder how long we'll have for advance notices?

GulAtiCa

Kinda have a nice small break here. So don't need to to go totally ham on legendary raids again for a bit.

Hope I get a Mewtwo invite on weekend or so, else might be harder to do a raid during work if not near by.

GulAtiCa

Oh you have to have a specific invite? Well that really sucks. You'll get one at a really inconvient time.

I'm really hoping it's more dynamic. Like the game gives you an invite to a gym when they know you've done that gym raid at that time and day of week before.

I know likely won't be like that at first, but that be nice. I hope work-days invites are near my work. Weekends can be anywhere.

It's already a pain to coordinate a raid here, now I have to somehow coordinate specifically with people who have raided at a certain location before, and hope that they all decide to go when I can as well? This seems like it could be potentially disastrous for anyone who's not playing specifically in the city and/or with a large, defined raiding group. Ugh.

This seems like a ploy from niantic to stick it to spoofers, but probably hurts legitimate players more than spoofers. As usual.

How do you get the Invite anywAy. Email, notification?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Well I'm glad the other birds are back I was just hoping today was going to be only Zapdos and Lugia as I still need those 2. Now the other 2 are taking up raids damn it Niantic

At the very least I know my girlfriend's brother will be happy about the birds returning. He completely missed Articuno, and I don't think he's gotten Zapdos yet either.

I wish they would say when the boxes are ending. I'm assuming today, and I want to buy one more, but I'll need to buy at least 100 more coins, and if they do stay up I could just wait 2-3 days and get them naturally.

Firemind

At the very least I know my girlfriend's brother will be happy about the birds returning. He completely missed Articuno, and I don't think he's gotten Zapdos yet either.

I wish they would say when the boxes are ending. I'm assuming today, and I want to buy one more, but I'll need to buy at least 100 more coins, and if they do stay up I could just wait 2-3 days and get them naturally.
Probably until the end of the month now to squeeze more money out of us ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

People will think they're gonna be useful in the future. Then they'll introduce exclusive raid passes lmao

Watch you get one invite a week, and miss your chance. Or you show up and no one else does, or he's extremely hard to catch and you don't get it.

Toki767

I'm curious how they keep track of when players completed a raid.

You would think that they'd have given you a gym badge after you complete a raid and not just for spinning the pokestop or putting a pokemon in a gym.

That way you would have permission to do an exclusive raid for having a gym badge.

Pineapple

So will Metwo start rolling out while Lugia and the legendary birds are still active? Or afterwards?

And what the hell does "recently" mean? 24 hours? A week? A month? This appears to be intentionally ambiguous so as to incentivize players to spend money on raid passes to knock out as many raids as possible so they can be invited to a special Mewtwo raid. I'm not sure I like how this is being handled.

If its all random, then I'm going to beat a 1* or 2** raid by myself every day just in case that raid gym gets a mewtwo later on. No benefit of beating a 4**** gym since its all random

Toki767

If its all random, then I'm going to beat a 1* or 2** raid by myself every day just in case that raid gym gets a mewtwo later on. No benefit of beating a 4**** gym since its all random

Yeah but if it is random, then that begs the question of how they can insure that enough people will even be invited to do the raid to begin with.

GulAtiCa

Yeah but if it is random, then that begs the question of how they can insure that enough people will even be invited to do the raid to begin with.

Well, guess we will find out when they start. Very very likely they will invite loads of people to the Mewtwo raid. So it's more likely (assuming) that it's the more popular gyms that will get chosen in each area/etc.

And, do people not remember the Legendary trailer from few weeks back? That actually showed how it works. You get an invite in-game. Granted all made up for the trailer, but would imagine everyone who gets an invite will receive a very special in-game notification in advance that will be hard to miss.

Magik

This seems like a ploy from niantic to stick it to spoofers, but probably hurts legitimate players more than spoofers. As usual.

Only way this will hurt spoofers is if it requires a qr scanner to participate. Knowing how Niantic works... They'll probably forget to add it. Lol

Pineapple

It seems like it actually helps spoofers, while hurting people who play legitimately. A spoofer can do raids wherever they want, which means they can potentially get more exclusive raid invites. People who play legitimately have to actually travel to raids, and will obviously be eligible to receive invites from fewer gyms.

Not only that, but this seems to destroy the idea of playing together with other people that you know, as well as destroying the value of discord/FB groups that coordinate raids. What if you receive an exclusive raid invite at a particular gym, but none of the people you're playing with receive that same invite? What if you're the only one in your discord group that gets an invite to a nearby raid? It just seems to trivialize coordinating and communicating with other people, and turns the entire raiding concept into a lottery system - a randomized group of players will receive invites, and all you can really do is hope some of them actually show up.

Firemind

It seems like it actually helps spoofers, while hurting people who play legitimately. A spoofer can do raids wherever they want, which means they can potentially get more exclusive raid invites. People who play legitimately have to actually travel to raids, and will obviously be eligible to receive invites from fewer gyms.

Not only that, but this seems to destroy the idea of playing together with other people that you know, as well as destroying the value of discord/FB groups that coordinate raids. What if you receive an exclusive raid invite at a particular gym, but none of the people you're playing with receive that same invite? What if you're the only one in your discord group that gets an invite to a nearby raid? It just seems to trivialize coordinating and communicating with other people, and turns the entire raiding concept into a lottery system - a randomized group of players will receive invites, and all you can really do is hope some of them actually show up.
In my experience, spoofers have been less active now that they can't hold gyms forever and get 100 coins and 5000 stardust daily. All they can do really is either show up for raids in person and try to mingle with people who won't shun them, or set up their own spoofer group through social media. Either way I'm glad they can't ruin the fun of other people as much as before now.

Only way this will hurt spoofers is if it requires a qr scanner to participate. Knowing how Niantic works... They'll probably forget to add it. Lol

Yeah, your absolutely right, this does nothing to spoofers and only hurts other players. A poorly thought out idea once again from niantic.

They won't do anything to change it either until the yourtubers start complaining. I hope Nick shows up to one and doesn't have enough people to beat it. Nothing against Nick at all, but it seems he has niantic ear.

Toki767

I'm really curious if Niantic thought about this lol

Top Bottom