• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story is the most successful game in XSEED history

I didn't find TLS to be as great as others, but it's still a solid game. Nice that XSEED took that initiative to distribute it here. I expected the game to be difficult to find weeks after release if anything. Really curious to see numbers.

Edit: The game was $8 on Amazon? Wow. :lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Just goes to show you, one company's "not worth localizing" is another's enormous success. If only the big guys would be more willing to work with the little guys we could see more stories like this.

I still haven't bought TLS so I'm +1 sale for XSEED at some point.

Orca

I want you to take a ballpark guess how many copies The Last Story would need to sell to be XSEED's most successful game ever.

Then I want you to take a ballpark guess at how many games you think most publishers would consider a good total for an original title (IE not a title they simply licensed for US release).

Real math or faith-based math?

faridmon

I want you to take a ballpark guess how many copies The Last Story would need to sell to be XSEED's most successful game ever.

Then I want you to take a ballpark guess at how many games you think most publishers would consider a good total for an original title (IE not a title they simply licensed for US release).

Now that I think about it. Succeccful doesn't really imply in numbers of copis sold but how good it sold compared to how much investment a product needed. From what I understand, it didn't need lot of slaes number since Most of things was done by NoE.

MisterHero

But...but...no one in the US buys JRPGs...

/Nintendo
I still agree with that statement concerning the traditional formula. Xenoblade and TLS are very modern takes on the genre.

Xenoblade is a god-tier game in general, and TLS is almost as good but extremely short.

IIRC, it sold around 39K in the US its first month, per leaks from creamsugar et al.

That's actually pretty solid for an original JRPG IP released at the very end of Wii's life cycle, but obviously not very good by most other standards.

VARIA

Great for them. The special edition does have some of the best packaging I've ever seen on a videogame. Hopefully they continue doing this with future titles.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Glad to hear it, although my game just glitched and I'm trapped in chapter 19 forever :(

kuroshiki

This thread makes me happy for The Last Story.
But sad for The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

You guys do know it is ESSENTIAL JRPG gaming like no other title aside from Xenoblade in the past 3-4 years, right?

Buy it on your PSPs. Your Vitas. Your Steam accounts. Your Vectrex systems.

As soon as Xseed guarantees (they don't even have to release anytime soon) that we will be getting 2nd and 3rd trail series, YES I WILL BUY IT RIGHT THIS MOMENT.

I do not want to end my saga in cliffhanger fashion.

Xilium

I like XSEED and all so I'm happy for their success in this but I don't know if that necessarily translates into The Last Story being all that successful. XSEED publishes some really niche titles here in the west, so being the most successful title amongst games like the Y's series, Solotorobo, and Valhalla Knights isn't really saying much. You would expect a Sakaguchi to do better than those and seeing as it was already translated, it couldn't have been much of a gamble.

This is great news. I am playing it right now and enjoy how quickly the game gets going. I am glad it didn't get tossed aside because "it's not Xenoblade so it must be garbage'" thoughts.

I love how they waited until the Wii U launched to announce this reprint at a cheaper price.
Seems like a really good business strategy given the lack of RPG's on the Wii U.

If you want to go that route, don't you also need to factor in a bunch of other variables?

For example:
-- The lower development cost of the Wii in comparison to HD consoles.
-- The fact that this is a new IP and not an established brand.
-- XSEED's limited marketing power in comparison to the larger publishers. (I'm not exactly sure what XSEED's marketing budget is, I'm just going by what I've personally seen over the years...)

All things considered, I'd say this is a pretty good success story for XSEED, I'm really happy for them.

Now, I'm not arguing that the Wii is the most lucrative platform for publishers, especially during its twilight years. But I also don't think it's true that the Wii is not a viable platform for any publisher other than Nintendo, and in fact I think it would have been a fantastic opportunity for third parties had they jumped on it during those first years when it was clear it was going to be a popular console.

Toki767

You would expect a Sakaguchi to do better than those and seeing as it was already translated, it couldn't have been much of a gamble.

And yet, it was too much of a gamble for Nintendo of America lol

We better be getting first party Nintendo JRPGs on the Wii U in the US.

poodpick

Managed to get 2 limited editions thanks to an amazon mistake. Too bad both have bent artbooks :/ I wonder if anyone else got a damaged LE

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just started playing this past weekend. Made it to
the part where you get shipwrecked on the island after hijacking the Gurak's ship
but I'm not sure if I'm really feeling it yet. Don't like the battle system too much, and it feels very linear. We'll see if it gets better... still, kudos to X-SEED and may they continue being successful.

I like XSEED and all so I'm happy for their success in this but I don't know if that necessarily translates into The Last Story being all that successful. XSEED publishes some really niche titles here in the west, so being the most successful title amongst games like the Y's series, Solotorobo, and Valhalla Knights isn't really saying much. You would expect a Sakaguchi to do better than those and seeing as it was already translated, it couldn't have been much of a gamble.

IIRC, the Valhalla Knights series were some of X-SEED's more successful ventures. Which is pretty surprising since most reports I've heard (apart from Shidoshi) have said the games are pretty poor, and they always looked a bit bland to me.

Volcynika

*knocks things over*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you want to go that route, don't you also need to factor in a bunch of other variables?

This was my entire point; something being "the most successful game in XSEED history" is a good thing for XSEED, but not particularly germane for other publishers--even smaller ones like Atlus--not at all relevant for original titles which have development expenses, and certainly not relevant at establishing this sour-grapes "Why didn't 3rd parties support the Wii more strongly earlier?" narrative.

Hobbun

That's great to hear, glad that XSEED is happy with the sales.

That means they can hire more employees and get SC out faster, right?

Xilium

And yet, it was too much of a gamble for Nintendo of America lol

We better be getting first party Nintendo JRPGs on the Wii U in the US.

Nintendo has a much higher barometer of success than XSEED.

I'm honestly not so sure that Nintendo's skepticism on the Project Rainfall games has been debunked. Xenoblade seems to be the only one that has made any real success and even that's speculative and based in relation to sales of other JRPGs (which are again, well below the kind of sales Nintendo would expect).

AniHawk

i will guess around 50k sold to consumers for the game so far. that would be really successful for small guys like them.

it's also kinda the hardcore base for the wii. 40k-50k people have bought muramasa, sin & punishment 2, a boy and his blob, and others.

god damn i'm good.

Hobbun

I really hate liking niche games.

So tired of hearing 50K are 'good sales' for my JRPG games.

What would it take to get CoD or Halo sales for a JRPG, and 'not' change the gameplay? Can it be done?

massoluk

Banned
Great news.

I actually pondered for a second, thinking if this actually speak for how niche XSeed games are instead of The Last Story's appeal, heh.

AColdDay

This thread makes me happy for The Last Story.
But sad for The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

You guys do know it is ESSENTIAL JRPG gaming like no other title aside from Xenoblade in the past 3-4 years, right?

Buy it on your PSPs. Your Vitas. Your Steam accounts. Your Vectrex systems.

I tried it, but I didn't like it. Sorry!

Reversed

How many sales? I mean,

191647_original.gif

Top Bottom