• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So it's 2017. Why does gaming still have an "uncool" stereotype?

Aomber

I've edited out the part about tinder. This thread was getting really off topic, all I was looking to discuss was why there are still judgements about gamers/gaming.

Because a higher-than-average number of uncool people are into it.

Doesn't help that it's (somewhat rightfully) considered an antisocial hobby by a lot of people.

RPGam3r

You’re wrong. Anybody who listens to public radio, reads news magazines like The Atlantic or The New Yorker, watches YouTube, or uses Twitter is likely rather aware of the temper tantrums and alt-right hijinks gamers have been up to the past few years.

Yeah not buying it.

Temper tantrums sure, hell this is a common topic for parents I talk to, but I don't think I heard a single mention of alt-right being associated with gamers. If it wasn't for GAF I wouldn't hear about much/any of this trash.

dex3108

This is my experience as a person from South Eastern Europe. Most people here including those who play games don't know who the hell is PDP or any other YT personality. Playing video games here still means that you are immature and it is considered to be worse than going out every 3 days and getting wasted to the point where people need to drag you home. Finding girl that plays anything beside Candy Crush is almost impossible.

Also most of my friends here who play games are stereotypical gamers who only play FIFA, PES or NBA games. And people who don't play games then see that and think "yeah games are waste of time just like watching real sports" (especially girls).

So yeah there are still parts of the world where you are "uncool" and immature if you are part of the industry that is on the same level or even above movie industry. All in all for me it is kinda tough to be gamer (yes I use that term even though I play less than 8 hours a week) because it is really hard to find people with common interest here. But I will never be shy of my love for games, they helped me a lot during my life and if others can't understand that is on them.

Lol my girlfriend ended up being fine with gaming (she thought the Switch's concept was really cool and encouraged me to get one), but I'll be honest, I didn't go all guns blazing with it in dating profiles.

Didn't with most forms of entertainment honestly, that's not really why a person is interesting surely?

Oh it's not uncool.

Just associated with Racism, Misogyny, Toxicity and Harrasment.
Maybe on NeoGAF. Gaming culture isn't even on the radar of the typical woman found on Tinder, so it's hard to believe she would associate the hobby with any "isms."
Most people still think video games are for children or immature people, at least the people around me do.

Same goes to fans of Animation.
Much more likely.

General views on gaming has come a long way but it is still seen as a sign by some of a lack of maturity, especially in men. I think originally because some people viewed video games as childrens toys, which is a view that has for the most part gone away now. But the opinion that 'gamers' lack of maturity is a view that some still hold, and to be honest whilst they're not being fair their view is not entirely unfounded. The way some gamers behave certainly does lack maturity, and whilst it's obvious that the vast majority of us have no problem being normal functioning adults there are those who reflect poorly on the rest of us in the eyes of some.

Are people like this uninformed? Sure, but is it worth their time to become informed? Probably not. They also might have just had some bad experiences with people who are heavily into video games and integrate it into their identity.

Yeah, gaming is still considered uncool or even evil in my country.

Like, if you reveal that you like to play PC/console games, you'll be judged in a flash.

Sadly, only core gaming got this kind of treatment. People who play on mobiles don't get it somehow.

Fliesen

A "gamer" tends to spend a huge chunk of time:

* mostly by themselves
* honing skills that are of no 'real world' value

it's like building scale model battleships, but with those, you at least have something to show for.
Whatever you achieve in gaming only has value in the context of gaming (be it literal achievements, your skill playing a certain type of game).

many people consider gaming a huge waste of time.

That doesn't make anyone who games uncool, but you certainly won't get any "ooohs" and "aaahs" when you tell people about what you've done last friday night.

Also, as some have pointed out - it (like comic books) is also the "escapism of choice" for many people that do have social anxieties or are otherwise "weird" / "antisocial" / "uncool". Hence it's closely associated with that kind of stereotype.
Also, the general populace doesn't know about gamergate, nor do they know about toxic gamers and issues of racism. Don't confuse the image you get of gamers as a whole from within the gaming community with what someone would know about these things if they don't really care about gaming at all.

Ahasverus

Because 2 things

- "Gamer" has become synonymous with neo nazi, basement dweller, mysoginist, stupid, basic minded and ignorant due to, well, people carrying the flag while being like that (gamergate etc)

- The medium was at the point of almost becoming art, but then games as a service became a thing and everything became a violent gambling ridden money waster, and "artistic videogames" became uncool because, well, people bought the service games more. So the face of games is not some ambitious piece of art, but a game of people shooting each other until there's one left standing.

Games are not cool anymore.

It's just one of those things. You're a nerd if you like consoles or Star Wars, but super cool if you like cars and tuning them up. You a complete loser if you like Star Treck but super cool if you like X Factor. You're nothing but a thug if you like Soccer, totally different if you like Rugby (even if there's far more fighting on and off the pitch).

I love all of the above (well maybe not X factor so much) so GOD knows that that makes me

autoduelist

You’re wrong. Anybody who listens to public radio, reads news magazines like The Atlantic or The New Yorker, watches YouTube, or uses Twitter is likely rather aware of the temper tantrums and alt-right hijinks gamers have been up to the past few years.

Just because someone reads an article or two doesn't mean anything. It really doesn't. I mean, how many articles have you read about, say, football players beating someone up or murdering someone? It doesn't mean you suddenly paint all people who play football with that brush.

nbraun80

I've edited out the part about tinder. This thread was getting really off topic, all I was looking to discuss was why there are still judgements about gamers/gaming.
I don't see why, as I and others have said the tinder mentality absolutely had to do with why she would be so quick to see one thing she didn't like and move on. But whatever I guess, I gave you the most logical answer, but you seem intent on making a mountain out of a molehill so I'll be on my way out.

Well...

15060333667309.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
At the worst of times Gamergate happened and to a lesser extent the gaming community constantly proves that it's filled to the brim with xenophobic manchildren intent on keeping people out if they don't adhere to incredibly vague and nonsensical rules to be considered a true gamer™ ON TOP of the constant downplaying about how shitty a very large section of the community are from the near constant racism, misogyny and general toxicity of online communication both in game and out of games. Like see how a video as benign as that one guy playing Cuphead lead to such a vitriolic overreaction questioning the state of games journalism itself or the fact that grown ass adult felt the need to defend juvenile shit like Quiet.

This doesn't mean that video games are inherently uncool, as the tech, artistry and general talent behind games is genuinely interesting, it just means that good lord the community is the biggest thing holding this medium back. Reason why I very rarely talk about anything about games outside of the context of animation with my friends who don't play videogames or with people I just met. Which honestly sucks as there are some interesting things to talk about concerning this medium. But then again I have a lot of other things to talk about besides video games. >>

I think you missed the point.
I think you may have missed my point, which was questioning the assumption that women on Tinder are as knowledgeable of gaming culture as the typical NeoGAF poster. I doubt the typical woman on Tinder has any idea what to expect from voicechat on PUBG, let alone that such a game even exits. I suspect the prejudice against gaming culture has nothing to do with its alleged toxicity.

PewDiePie made mainstream news with his recent actions. That doesn't help. The whole Gamergate thing too, although that didn't seem to get as much mainstream coverage. There have been some articles tying the rise of the "alt-right" to toxic video game communities though.

Your friend should have just replied that "No, Im not a gamer". Maybe she don't want to date "gamers" or maybe it was just an excuse.

Many people here say gamers are now identified as neo nazi alt right bigots, but I really don't believe that is the case. However Im not from the US so maybe it's different there.

Many pointed out that old classic stereotype that only immature man babies play video games and they are losers with no lives. Pretty sure that is what she thought, if that really was the reason anyway. Kind of weird because many alpha males play Fifa/nhl/cod with friends before going to club.

Glad I don't have those problems, my anime posters and figures keep me company and away from all that drama.

People who don't game don't know anything about any neo nazi bs in gaming.

They just think it's a waste of time and such. And they're probably right.

And you shouldn't care unless you yourself think it's an issue.

Aerogamer

Neo Member
Gaming is not 'uncool' in isolation, it is a wonderful outlet and hobby. It is uncool if you obsess over is geek culture that is uncool (fanboys, console wars, non-existent social life outside of the internet, forum wars, elitism). Having a well rounded personality and taking care of yourself is what is attractive to people and 'cool'. Getting out in the world and putting your best foot forward.

luulubuu

ZSrE213.png

Pretty much, it doesnt help either that is a massive elitist club with so many layers of know-it-alls and nerds, with toxic behaviours and circle jerking tendencies, a few years ago, it was fun to make jokes at the cost of jock students, they are still not as toxic

So yeah, very uncool

Monooboe

I think it all comes down to games not having the cultural weight the other mediums have. Just look at what kind of games we mostly get, they all are very immature. Sure we all love those for the nuances in gameplay and all that stuff, but for most taking a quick glance at them it's all about saving princesses, shooting aliens or pretending to be Indiana Jones. So yeah gaming is very uncool and I never even mention I like games as much as I do, hell games is the entertainment medium I prefer the most but still I do hope it matures.

danm999

I think you may have missed my point, which was questioning the assumption that women on Tinder are as knowledgeable of gaming culture as the typical NeoGAF poster. I doubt the typical woman on Tinder has any idea what to expect from voicechat on PUBG, let alone that such a game even exits. I suspect the prejudice against gaming culture has nothing to do with its alleged toxicity.

Yeah no doubt, but you do. That's the point, since that's who the comment is aimed at.

Now imagine you were a non-gamer and you caught a passing impression of voice chat in PUBG (or anything really, CoD or Overwatch work too), or a chat in a Twitch stream or YouTube steam, etc.

Your impression wouldn't be good.

Alej

Banned
The latin word for work comes from suffering. That's a basic trait of our culture where any enjoyment without a goal to achieve (that's why some people treat games as checklists) is considered meaningless or childish.

In nature, the primary way to learn in order, not to compete at each other but to make the difference between life and death, is playing.
Every animals play, and they do that because they work like that, they learn like that. You can even say the smarter animals out there are those who play the most.

Do what you want with this.

I believe this situation had nothing to do with being a gamer.

What was uncool is not being self aware enough to know that when selecting photos (to show yourself off to people who don't know you) that he should not have included one sitting at a PC with headphones on.

Even Brad Pitt couldn't pull that off.

Edit: Grammar

Because women on Tinder know what PUBG is? Lol.
Women on Tinder aren’t the judges of what is and isn’t cool. The behaviour on display in PUBG is indicative of a lot of the behaviour of the gaming community as a whole and that’s how people from the outside view it

Video games are seen as for children and for sad adults who never matured and that stereotype is proven over and over again by the worst and loudest parts of the community. And that’s easily distilled when listening to the voice chat of a PUBG match

But thanks for intentionally missing the point ;)

kiguel182

I mean, playing FIFA isn’t uncool. Some video games are because they are nerdy. You can’t cast that broad of a net because video games aren’t this one dimensional thing.

Also, the most visible personalities in video games are all annoying nerds. Same for a lot of the most “hardcore” people.

There are a lot of cool games and uncool ones. If you spend your days playing some shooter then yeah, people will think you are lame. It depends on the situation.

Edit: And as said, the community is the fucking worst.

Edit2: Also, my hobbie is making games and man, is it hard sometimes to separate that from the “gamer” stereotype.

Do people typically go around making something like "I enjoy movies" a core component of their identity? It's a hobby. Even if you love them, it's weird to associate yourself primarily with a label based on a thing you enjoy doing.

Good analogy. I have a considerable library in both videogames and tv/movies on dvd/blurays, but I've never defined myself based on these interests. And like a poster mentioned in the thread, this hobby had a decent shot at gaining respectability a few years back.

Yeah no doubt, but you do. That's the point, since that's who the comment is aimed at.

Now imagine you were a non-gamer and you caught a passing impression of voice chat in PUBG (or anything really, CoD or Overwatch work too), or a chat in a Twitch stream or YouTube steam, etc.

Your impression wouldn't be good.
No doubt... but the typical woman on Tinder isn't watching Twitch streams of PUBG. These comments about the toxicity of gaming likely have no bearing on the situation described by the OP.
Women on Tinder aren't the judges of what is and isn't cool.
Nothing about my post insinuated this in the slightest. In fact, I said nothing about what is cool or uncool.
The behaviour on display in PUBG is indicative of a lot of the behaviour of the gaming community as a whole
Unrelated to my main point, but how do you figure? Strikes me as a big assumption.
and that's how people from the outside view it
No one on the "outside" views gaming in this way. My whole point is that you need to be on the "inside" to have this kind of perspective. I promise you that 99% of women on Tinder have never heard of folks like Pewdiepie. I'm a core gamer and I only know who this guy is because of all the NeoGAF threads. Would never have heard of him otherwise.
Video games are seen as for children and for sad adults who never matured
Agreed. It really is that simple.
and that stereotype is proven over and over again by the worst and loudest parts of the community. And that's easily distilled when listening to the voice chat of a PUBG match

But thanks for intentionally missing the point ;)
In addition to responding to you, I already explained my post above long before you posted, so you intentionally ignored that I guess?

danm999

No doubt... but the typical woman on Tinder isn't watching Twitch streams of PUBG. These comments about the toxicity of gaming likely have no bearing on the situation described by the OP.

You're still missing the point, purposefully at this stage I am starting to suspect.

The behaviour you can hear in PUBG voice chat is a symptom of the disease in online gaming cultures that manifests itself evidently in many ways to non gamers.

ScientificPizza is using a shorthand we will be familiar with.

You can't just say "gaming" and then have that be the all encompassing definition that is getting judged.

There is a difference between a 5 min timewaster on your phone and screaming insults at your opponent at an e-sports event, people will judge them differently. Depending on where your gaming falls into these extremes, you are getting different results.

That taken out of the equation, gaming as in "playing games" is an integral part of human nature, it doesn't mean "playing videogames" is, so people differentiate. Simply playing videogames as in "sitting on your couch by yourself and/or talking into a mic to strangers/internet friends" will never be seen as a cool thing among most people even if many people do it. I don't really see why it should be seen as a cool thing?
Take the cool/uncool thing out and only discuss the judgemental part, sitting on that couch is a highly unproductive hobby with no outside results to show for it. The social aspect of it takes place online these days... people outside of that group have a hard time seeing anything worthwhile in that and I can't really blame them.

Piedepie and PUBG are popular, not mainstream. Try and remember how many billion people there are in the world when you throw about subscriber numbers and player counts.

You're still missing the point, purposefully at this stage I am starting to suspect.

The behaviour you can hear in PUBG voice chat is a symptom of the disease in online gaming cultures that manifests itself evidently in many ways to non gamers.

ScientificPizza is using a shorthand we will be familiar with.
I'm a gamer, and I've generally only had secondhand exposure to this "disease" via NeoGAF. I'm still not sure why you think this disease is being manifested so evidently to non gamers who have even less exposure to the medium than I do.

I also think you could afford to be a bit more charitable in your interpretations of my posts. My point is only about the awareness of the typical non-gamer about the toxicity of gaming culture, not whether gaming culture is or is not toxic. That's another debate entirely.
Piedepie and PUBG are popular, not mainstream. Try and remember how many billion people there are in the world when you throw about subscriber numbers and player counts.
Thank you.

AlexBasch

ZSrE213.png

Pretty much, it doesnt help either that is a massive elitist club with so many layers of know-it-alls and nerds, with toxic behaviours and circle jerking tendencies, a few years ago, it was fun to make jokes at the cost of jock students, they are still not as toxic

So yeah, very uncool
This is what I think about the "gaming scene", word by word.

I love videogames, but fuck the "gamer lifestyle" or whatever that might mean, it's all trash.

danm999

I'm a gamer, and I've generally only had secondhand exposure to this "disease" via NeoGAF. I'm still not sure why you think this disease is being manifested so evidently to non gamers who have even less exposure to the medium than I do.

You've never heard racist or sexist remarks playing online games? For real?

FinalAres

Pretty much.

When part of your identity is associated with video games, that's when it gets uncool/weird.
And to be fair that's true of people who identify themselves as hardcore fans of all sorts are seen as nerdy. Movie buffs, comic book fans, readers to some extent.

Probably the most socially acceptable one is TV.

TLZ

Banned
Because deep down they really want to play but they don't know how and don't want to lose, so they just dismiss it.

zoukka

Well many games offer the opportunity to spend thousands of hours perfecting 'skills' that often are not useful outside of that game, not even in other games. For some people that sure as hell sounds as waste of time.

You've never heard racist or sexist remarks playing online games? For real?
Of course I have! But most of my time gaming consists of relaxing, meditative single player experiences. I'm sure this is true of many others in the world as well. To suggest those racist and sexist behaviors are (or should be) indicative of all gaming culture, as has been insinuated ITT, is offensive and reductionist to say the least. Wouldn't you agree?

Top Bottom