• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So it's 2017. Why does gaming still have an "uncool" stereotype?

DVCY201

Realistically, games are just rooted in cheap, infantile entertainment. The other entertainment industries never began that way (to my knowledge). But following a band closely (clothes, posters, albums, concerts) is arguably more intensive and 'deep' than just gaming. Yet it's not necessarily frowned upon, as music by and far is able to cater to a large diverse population and was never rooted or began as child's entertainment.

As for you people saying it's weird to cry over the death of Iwata or get emotional, it's no different with some celebrities or industry titans.

MaddenNFL64

Not in my circle. I openly talk about vidya games at work with other gamers, and even people who don't play games will listen in on the convo like we were talking about the weather.

Most of the people who I talk to about games, and meeting up to play Destiny or some such are well in their 40's as well.

Skronk

Banned
Because the vast majority of game fans are ridiculously embarrassing people and this reflects badly on the medium and damages it's mainstream appeal.

I don't really have that association and I've never known of anyone outside of the internet who has expressed a derogatory view towards those who play games. Gaming is a very normal thing now for those under 35 at least and I would be surprised to meet someone in that age range who didn't play games of any description.
Though I would say that gamers appear very sensitive and preoccupied with the image and reputation of their hobby in a way that I'm not sure is entirely healthy or sensible.

Because the vast majority of game fans are ridiculously embarrassing people and this reflects badly on the medium and damages it's mainstream appeal.

That's not true at all. You're judging an entire hobby from the very worst people found in competitive online gaming or children following juvenile streamers. That isn't fair or representative of gamers.

It definitely has a mixed perception from what I've seen.

My boss, his generation, in my experience, still associate it with something they buy their kids, so aside from us talking about it, they don't really have anything else to think of it as.

Bluehound

Neo Member
I live in rather small town and am pretty confident that most people think that games are simply a waste of time and childish. To some extent, this might be true but at the same time they should be in no position to judge me if they watch shows like Keeping up with Kardashians, have purchased Big Brother 24/7-service or any other similar stuff. These seem to be more justifiable, because of marketing towards younger audience to create new "cool" and "in" things. I don't judge those people initially, but I can point out double standards.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go and make a date profile and highlight the fact "I am a gamer". If the possible match does ask what hobbies I have, I might mention that I play videogames sometimes. If it is a turn off for her, it is actually my victory, since I don't want a partner with narrow mind. Gaming does seem to have certain social stigma, but you don't have to play only by yourself and you might find new friends, even if they do live further away. It should NOT be any less acceptable than simply going to bar, grab few drinks and talk random stuff, then find one-night stand, go back to home or whatever. People like different things, but not everyone can accept that. I can exercise while gaming or watching anime and it has improved myself so it certainly isn't a completely waste of time to me. Someone doesn't like that? The door is over there.

Humanity isn't evolved enough to get rid of negatively judging attitude or the need of acting like superior person. People are still ignorant. Gaming world is vast enough to ignore racists, misogynists and sexists, but of course people notice them because they are louder.

While the reception is getting better due to the mobile space, I'd say it's still poor mainly due to gamings focus on the young white male teen.

RpgN

Non-gamers have no idea about this whole 'nazi' thing some of you are talking about. They don't care about gaming, don't read gaming news, don't think about gaming. To think they consider gamers nazis or something is... absurd.

They just think gamers are unproductive and know some of their friends have boyfriends who ignore them to play a game instead of chilling.

I don't know where you read your news, but it's pretty much the opposite in the Netherlands. Here you have mainstream channels/apps (such as NOS and Telegraf) covering games and technology related news once in a while. The news covered is either when a new system is released, or when toxic topics are current (i.e. Gamergate, PewDiePie etc). You also have documentaries (on tv) how certain gamers are obsessed with games or how Gamegate came to be etc.

I think there is a correlation between the selective news that is shown to mainstream and how that affects perception on top of the perception that games are for nerds.

Krooner

That's not true at all. You're judging an entire hobby from the very worst people found in competitive online gaming or children following juvenile streamers. That isn't fair or representative of gamers.

No, he's judging the mainstream perseption of the hobby, which is based on the most visable personalities.

Lime

Because 'gamers' is a consumer identity predicated on the constant consumption of kitsch toys. Gamers also turn to neo-nazis if a woman has an opinion and makes it into a youtube video. They also coordinate organized harassment campaigns if they aren't pleased with their kitsch toys.

I have no idea why anyone would be surprised that gamers are 'uncool'.

Everything that is associate with an obsessive passion is uncool for most people. I have some friends that had the same "you are uncool" experience as cinephiles or even artsy stuff lovers.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I mean, movie fans weren’t instrumental in the incubation and proliferation of the alt-right.

But aside from that, which is only really known by people in the weeds with this shit, just about everyone I know under 30 has games as a part of their life.

In fact, as someone who recently got into dating for the first time, it’s usually a guaranteed source of conversation. I have absolutely met stereotypically embarrassing gamers though, but as long as you’re not that type, games have only ever received a positive reception in my experience (again, amongst people under 30).

This is in London though, not sure what it’s like in other parts of the world.

Geeky things didn't suddenly become less geek. Embrace it fam.

18j3geyih6zg0jpg.jpg

xealo

Games are not even close to being a niche hobby. This is not the early 90s, It has surpassed the movie industry in size.

Rather it's just the standard old "nerds!" stereotype going on here id suspect.

nel e nel

Personally, I think the "gaming isn't cool" meme is a bit overblown and kind of playing the victim card. Gaming has been a pretty integral part of society and culture for a while now, and all kinds of folks play. What I think is the stigmatizm is the toxic parts of the audience - which has already been addressed - and also less that someone plays games but if that is their only hobby/past time to the detriment of everything else.

Sizzel

So this is a pretty simple answer I think. I've have gamed off and on to various degrees of intensity for over 30 years now.

Gaming is more mainstream than ever. It is socially acceptable to game and not "uncool" to play some NBA, crack into Destiny, the newest Mario... Zelda etc.. here and there. Social icons do it. It is normalized.

The "uncool"( i think) comes from the concept that someone's A#1 hobby involves them living detached from reality ( to a degree) playing games. The social outlier, weirdo vibe puts people off.Gaming has long been a catch basin for people that don't(or feel they don't) quite fit into "normal" society. Anecdotally, that is why(I think) it happens to be extremely progressive/left wing.

Escaping from reality consistently is objectively not cool regardless the mechanism. A recent exception to this is E-sports and streamers.. the making money factor seems to negate the uncool perception. It makes sense to people. People may not understand so and so's youtube channel, but making 7 million a year makes sense.

If you are really into books, cinema, music, cooking, biking etc.. all of those things are or can be social and shared with people. Most people will appreciate something from those things. Talking about why the hitboxes on Dark Souls 2 are bullshit and arguing best waifu has a pretty limited scope.

I am often wrong so this could be off base.

Atuin

It's because Japan makes most of the popular big names in games. Gaming doesn't have the same high culture excuse other mediums have - foreigness.

Want to sound high culture with movies - watch world cinema (is also why even anime is cooler than videogames)
Want to sound high culture with music - listen to opera in a language you don't understand
Want to sound high culture with tabletop games (that's right, even the DnD dweebs have it better) - play Go.

Super Mario is keeping us down!

A) Nobody I know connects games with Japan. Sure, there was Super Mario and Pac-Man in the 90's, but nowadays "a game" means either GTA, CoD, NHL or FIFA, all of which are American. Or a mobile game, and I've never heard of a Japanese mobile game. Japanese games are a niche within a niche within a niche from my point of view, kind of like most of popular games are turn-based steampunk strategy games.

B) At least in Europe "a foreign movie" usually means an American movie, so watching a local movie usually means a low-budget local art film instead of multi-million Marvel movie. Like everyone's praising Ikitie, a Finnish-Estonian-German historic drama and it's very high culture despite not being "foreign" to me. Same with music: international music usually means Justin Bieber and local music usually means something more unique.

RpgN

As mentioned before, you already have the sigma of games being for nerds, ones who are obsessed or have issues in life. The community is also very difficult to approach, where very specific themes or behaviours are valued and the rest is not accepted.

I was willing to deal with this and not let it affect my enjoyment. But then the whole Gamergate/alt-right thing happened. Gaming has become a mess. It has shown ugly sides that I didn't know where there.

I was heavily attacked by the left once on Neogaf, for not knowing what Gamergate exactly was and having typical comments that trolls often used. You have developers or game industry people who have some disgusting or surprising comments about minorities. Some people I respected and never knew they were racist or sexist. Then you have Youtubers who have even more disgusting comments and don't know basic PR.

As a person who loves video games and have been playing since childhood, I no longer want to be associated with the gaming community. If a person who is into games don't want to be part of the community, do you expect the mainstream to be more open minded? Why should they?

The rampant consumer abuse is part of it. The fact that most gaming platforms call their services or accessories 'elite', is really lame.

AAA gaming is often designed for the lowest common denominator adds to the lameness.

I don't think it as. Everyone i know games in some form or another. Some maybe not as much as others, but it is just a normal past time to entertain yourself these days, as much as tv, going to the cinema or other things. Even as adults, everyone i know in my age bracket or younger (32) as said they're looking forward to having this day off to play a game just to destress.

Obviously the more you spend on gaming forums etc you are exposed to a very vocal minority that ruin it for everyone else, but i wouldn't even compare it to how the the industry was viewed say 20 years ago.

Oberon

Banned
Games are a relativly recent things in terms of media. And our percetption of what is "cool" is usually molded by media. For the longest time games were associated with "nerds" in movies and such alongside comic books and playing DnD.
Things take time. Bing bang theory is a show that is still very popular and it's bascially just about those old stereotypes about nerds. But you see people who you wouldn't call a typical "nerd" play video game. Probably because games now also cater to different demographics than like 20 or more years ago. Things take time and I think the internent made everyone forget patients. Even tho everything is already going and changing lighting fast in terms of human history, it's still not fast enough. And I seriously doubt a a person that isn't invested in games even knows bout stuff like GG

Oh it's not uncool.

Just associated with Racism, Misogyny, Toxicity and Harrasment.

But it's cool now! Take that jocks!

The exact opposite.
Outside of the gaming world no one associstes gaming with racism, misogyny and toxicity, but still as an not cool to brag about hobby / stuff you can spend your time one.

It's just not as bad and nerdy as years ago anymore

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It still isn't cool. It's not "cool" to make amusement your priority.

Glasfrut

Neo Member
The exact opposite.
Outside of the gaming world no one associstes gaming with racism, misogyny and toxicity, but still as an not cool to brag about hobby / stuff you can spend your time one.

It's just not as bad and nerdy as years ago anymore

I don't know...Gamergate got quite a bit of mainstream attention

Tagyhag

I mean, gaming is never going to be "cool".

The act of seeing someone game isn't as cool as someone doing the real like equivalent, like doing a 900 in Tony Hawk compared to doing one in real life.

Gaming is socially accepted now, which is good.

Words to live by:

I don't give two fucks what people think about video gaming or my hobby of gaming. They can kiss the side of my dick as far as I am concerned. As long as I am happy with what I do, they can properly fuck off!

sotojuan

I am surprised by this thread. I understand why, but no one I know IRL that dislikes gaming has ever mentioned anything about toxic people or racism as a reason why.

Yes, these people exist and are multiplying and it's a problem, but in my experience people think gaming is uncool because they see it as something you do as children or at most, teenagers. Like reading comics or playing with toys. I don't think this attitude exists everywhere but it exists in the US.

mdubs

Banned
I mean, gaming is never going to be "cool".

The act of seeing someone game isn't as cool as someone doing the real like equivalent, like doing a 900 in Tony Hawk compared to doing one in real life.

Gaming is socially accepted now, which is good.
Is it socially accepted? I wouldn't talk about video games during a job interview if they asked about hobbies, and if I was the one asking the question I wouldn't want a person to talk about them. The same is also true to a lesser extent of comics.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
The absolute last place you are going to get an accurate take on why gaming is considered "uncool" is a massive gaming forum. Take this to /r/askreddit, post it on Facebook, or maybe just ask someone you know in real life who doesn't play games. They will give you the most brutally honest opinions.

Tagyhag

Is it socially accepted? I wouldn't talk about video games during a job interview if they asked about hobbies, and if I was the one asking the question I wouldn't want a person to talk about them. The same is also true to a lesser extent of comics.

It can be socially accepted and not be wise to bother saying in an interview. :p like Poker.

Because it's 2017 and she probably thought he was a Nazi.

Oh it's not uncool.

Just associated with Racism, Misogyny, Toxicity and Harrasment.

But it's cool now! Take that jocks!

These two posts basically sum it up, I think.

Even if there's not overtly negative elements in gaming's portrayal, just imagine what a popular face like Pewdiepie looks like to a normal person even when he's not saying racist trash. He looks like a moron. And he was insanely popular and acting as the face of games to many even before he openly started acting so shitty.

toneroni

I am surprised by this thread. I understand why, but no one I know IRL that dislikes gaming has ever mentioned anything about toxic people or racism as a reason why.

Yes, these people exist and are multiplying and it's a problem, but in my experience people think gaming is uncool because they see it as something you do as children or at most, teenagers. Like reading comics or playing with toys. I don't think this attitude exists everywhere but it exists in the US.

Agreed 100%
I've been working in gaming so I follow it a lot and have a huge collection but I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought it was childish. It also could be an unproductive timesink to many. The funny thing is that many people don't feel that way about casual mobile gaming.

Kacho

I think going to a gaming convention and observing the types of people who attend them would answer that question.

I don't know...Gamergate got quite a bit of mainstream attention
maybe in the US, but surely not around the world and the non English speaking world
even i didn't know about it for months after it happend and just because of the constant talk around it here

mainstream attention for me is articles in small regional newspapers or coverage in television news.
the coverage a new iPhone release gets, Microsoft Hololens or Playstation VR

i honestly think the non gaming community it not at all familiar with anything regarding "gaming culture" (for both the good AND the bad)

toneroni

I think going to a gaming convention and observing the types of people who attend them would answer that question.

Check out some threads in the OT also...some are quite awkward to say the least.

And on the gamergate stuff - none of my friends really know about it except for the hardcore gamers.

Khrno

In countries Latin American countries it is still viewed as something for children, and due to the price barrier, something that just a few have access to.

So it is viewed in a completely different way as in the US, it is not mainstream entertainment, there are no racist or sexist connotations, it is not part of the people's culture.

Top Bottom