• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So it's 2017. Why does gaming still have an "uncool" stereotype?

A "gamer" tends to spend a huge chunk of time:

* mostly by themselves
* honing skills that are of no 'real world' value

it's like building scale model battleships, but with those, you at least have something to show for.
Whatever you achieve in gaming only has value in the context of gaming (be it literal achievements, your skill playing a certain type of game).

many people consider gaming a huge waste of time.

That doesn't make anyone who games uncool, but you certainly won't get any "ooohs" and "aaahs" when you tell people about what you've done last friday night.

Also, as some have pointed out - it (like comic books) is also the "escapism of choice" for many people that do have social anxieties or are otherwise "weird" / "antisocial" / "uncool". Hence it's closely associated with that kind of stereotype.
Also, the general populace doesn't know about gamergate, nor do they know about toxic gamers and issues of racism. Don't confuse the image you get of gamers as a whole from within the gaming community with what someone would know about these things if they don't really care about gaming at all.

This is my stance as well. Most answers in this thread assume indepth "gamer culture" knowledge within the general public. No. What most people see in the kind of gaming that is uncool is "people sitting alone at home in front of a screen, interaction being shooting or slicing stuff" (the last part coming in from the still existing stigma of "violent games breed violent loners").

Also doesn't help that the "gamer" is a tool created by marketing and .. It worked. I wouldn't even say most gamers are nerds or geeks, at this point mainstream gaming is a bit like the McDonald of media consumption. As someone who plays a lot, even I cringe hard at advertisements and when listening to someone who identifies as a gamer in that way.

Also helps if you have other topics to talk about in life. Videogames as a media needs to get rid of this monotheistic belief/impression of one culture, one hardcore mainstream. This is currently happening if you look at indie, social gaming, mobile, the Switch, return of mid-tier development..

.. I never had real issues with this btw. if people told me they do not like gaming, OK, talk about other things. I don't like everything either and many things my friends do bore me but that is OK, there are more important things than having only mutual interests and hobbies.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I always imagine these different scenarios in my mind when I think about "how the public feels about gaming".

1. The teacher lecturing their students on why video games are bad and a waste of time. School shootings get referenced time and time again.
2. The parent who tells their kid not to waste their time and to grow up.
3. The boss who thinks video games are for kids or they think they are stupid.
4. The female who doesn't date a guy because he plays video games.

My wife has a few friends who went through divorce because their husband would spend more time gaming than spending time with them.

Gaming has a stigma to it, but there's a lot of different aspects of gaming. You can play a game and think its stupid or you can think about all the amazing parts that helped create the game.

The kid yelling offensive language into his mic and calling 911 to SWAT someone versus someone like Geoff Keighley or Victor Lucas, two well known people trying to set a positive image for the medium.

I think people will ways try to stereotype the gamer or they'll realize they're wrong about people who play video games.

Can you imagine a parent, a coworker, or a friend performing an intervention because you play video games and their kids are playing the same game? Or when you play a FPS and there's a gun involved?

I can imagine a preacher telling us we are going to hell because we saved the world in Halo or Call of Duty.

I think people ignore the ESRB (various ratings board across globe too)and they ignore the fact that video games are fiction. They're fiction, just like movies, book, lyrics in songs, and so forth are.

What if you dumped a girl because she watched a particular movie? To me, it's stupid.

No matter how big or mainstream gaming gets, it's always going to have the perception of being childish and immature to a large chunk of people. Same thing with comic books.

Wedzi

Banned
eipugIu.jpg

It's a lot of this. Plus Gamergate and online toxicity in general really drags down the opinion of people who spend time playing games. I never bring up that I play games unless someone brings it up first lol or I just say yeah I like Madden and Mario Kart.

Sami+

Gaming is associated with a whole host of toxic people. I cringe when people say they are proud of being "gamers".

I don't think the association between the Alt-Right and gaming is as widespread as you'd think from reading NeoGAF. I hear the term "gamer" thrown around plenty by a bunch of really nice, well-adjusted people in real life and it used to throw me off a bit before realizing not a lot of people outside our space read about GamerGate while it was happening.

kliklik

Banned
Somehow, I don't think there's a forum full of gardeners worrying about whether they're perceived as uncool.

Caring is uncool. Gamers are uncool because they care about how they're perceived. 😎

MikeyB

It's pretty self-indulgent. For the same reason jacking off isn't considered cool.

Yikes, but yes. Unlike a lot of other solo hobbies (solo sports, reading), video games seem to have very limited benefits. No improved fitness, little to no improved vocabulary or knowledge (compared to books), and limited opportunities for socializing around the hobby.

The closest I think it gets to is collecting things, but collecting things that are designed to take 10-100 hours a pop.

entremet

I don't think the association between the Alt-Right and gaming is as widespread as you'd think from reading NeoGAF. I hear the term "gamer" thrown around plenty by a bunch of really nice, well-adjusted people in real life and it used to throw me off a bit before realizing not a lot of people outside our space read about GamerGate while it was happening.

It's not. People are always so wrong on this. Doesn't mean it's not a problem overall, though. It is sadly.

Wedzi

Banned

Online toxicity isn't a term just associated with alt right people. It's an extremely common way people view gamers plus the stereotype angry dude on Xbox Live that lives in his basement.

Sami+

It's not. People are always so wrong on this. Doesn't mean it's not a problem overall, though. It is sadly.

Oh, it totally is. My first thought when I hear "gamers" is your typical Mountain Dew drinking 4chan loser even though I know that's obviously an exaggeration. But being on GAF for so long it's hard not to cringe whenever the term is used. The only gaming people I really hang out with irl are my own friends and the Smash Bros. community here, most of whom only seem to play Nintendo anyway.

nkarafo

Gaming was never considered cool.

Except maybe for a short time during the PS1 era. Sony's marketing managed to make gaming look cool for a couple of years.

I have one co-worker that plays games. Only one, with other related hobbies as well, comics, movies and paper and pen RPGs.

It is far from mainstream.

KORNdoggy

i'm not sure they're still seen as "uncool" anymore. sadly its turned into something more toxic, people now seem to be associating gamers with misogyny and racism.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Gaming is a lame ish hobby with weird aspects like gamer gate ish culture, associations with lack of physical activity, bad hygiene, etc.

I mention games to a date when I talk about media I consume. I don't list it as a hobby just like I don't list watching Netflix.

Calling myself a "gamer" eesh. No thanks.

I'm genuinely shocked it's looked at so badly in people's social circles?

As I said before me and the people I know talk about it regularly without a care in the world. No one ever mentions all the gaming drama though, most play what they want and let the arseholes play amongst them selves.

Maybe it's because I live in the U.K.

It's not that uncool though, is it? Whenever people that are not gamers visit my place, they're usually quite excited to see my gaming setup. Like 'hey, is that a Switch, can I see?' or 'oh wow a SNES, I remember that!'

sotojuan

I really doubt the average person on the street is aware of sexism and racist in gaming culture. I was unaware until I started going on game forums because I only play single player games. In fact, most people (and that includes a lot of people that play games) are unaware of gaming "culture".

Kill3r7

The folks playing candy crush and other mobile games do not view themselves as gamers. Also a relatively small portion of games are truly mainstream. Thus the hobby is less mainstream than the data might suggest.

Ivan 3414

The only people who would associate gamers with white supremacy or gamergaters are actual gamers. That's hardly a stereotype among most people when they think about gaming.

Most people don't even know who PewDiePie is regardless of his success on YouTube. If you think the reason gamers get looked down upon is because they are seen as "toxic", you've spent a little too much time on GAF.

The most vocal members of the community on social media are impotent manchildren-turned militant white supremacists.

The folks playing candy crush and other mobile games do not view themselves as gamers. Also a relatively small portion of games are truly mainstream. Thus the hobby is less mainstream than the data might suggest.
Yup. The difference between someone with a PS4 for Madden/Destiny/Netflix and someone who buys Persona 5.

HeatBoost

Being a detail-oriented super knowledgeable "enthusiast" about anything is uncool. Cool means that on some level you don't give a shit. You think the dude in the sports franchise jersey, with the sports franchise hat, who has memorized the rosters and stats for the rosters of every iteration his favorite team is cool?

But as for issues that make gaming in particular odious... the whole nerd persecution complex thing combined with the feculent behavior rampant in most games-oriented social spaces probably has a lot to do with it. I also think that games tend to attract/breed compulsive behavior a bit more than other hobbies, so that might be a part of it too.

Raiden

Banned
Obviously it was just the trigger for a larger issue as you're already seeing from the responses in here, that's why I posted it in gaming discussion not in off topic.

You don't know how tinder works do you?

Oh yes i do. Anybody can master up 3 decent picks or so.

When you take a selfie sitting behind your destkop things get real, you get what you see.

Also i fail to see her linking headphones with games.

Also you're the friend right?

paperlynx

Gaming doesn't have the 'uncool' stereotype any more, it's become so mainstream that I rarely see anyone getting judged for playing games. People who identify as 'gamers', however, are still viewed as 'uncool' because...well it's not exactly the coolest hobby around.

Duffk1ng

I think it depends on how you're presenting it. Not out of a wish to not be seen as uncool but simply because I don't see it as interesting to make something like that part of my identity. I play games a lot, yeah, but I do so in the time that anyone else would spend time reading books or watching TV, and I doubt other people would define themselves primarily by that.

I say this as a developer myself. There's nothing wrong or uncool about playing games and I don't think it's anathema to people to bring it up, even in dating. Maybe I it's a location thing (UK) but I can't recall ever having someone think less of me for playing games as an adult. The last time I was single I was on Tinder a fair bit and noting my job in games didn't do me any harm, and neither did having a reference to Mario Kart in my Bio. If anything, it made it better - curiosity about the former and opening messages challenging me at the latter. But it was only a passing reference to each, dropped in among the rest of my interests.

And lets be honest, if someone did reject you because you enjoy the odd video game in your free time and not because you define yourself by it, who cares? Someone who judges you over something that petty is obviously not worth your time anyway.

KORNdoggy

Gaming doesn't have the 'uncool' stereotype any more, it's become so mainstream that I rarely see anyone getting judged for playing games. People who identify as 'gamers', however, are still viewed as 'uncool' because...well it's not exactly the coolest hobby around.

so gaming isn't uncool and nobody is judged for gaming, but people still think gamers are uncool because gaming isn't cool?

your post is full of conflicted statements. lol

I think it depends on how you're presenting it. Not out of a wish to not be seen as uncool but simply because I don't see it as interesting to make something like that part of my identity. I play games a lot, yeah, but I do so in the time that anyone else would spend time reading books or watching TV, and I doubt other people would define themselves primarily by that.

this is true for everything though surely? nothing in a parsons life is their defining feature, you're a combination of them. everyone is multifaceted, no? i think hobbies and interests based labels are used in context for most people. in a job interview you wouldn't necessarily identify as a gamer. you'd identify as "sociable" a "hard worker", a "team player". but on a gaming forum you likely would, it wouldn't make your other identifying qualities disappear, they're just less relevant given the context.

personally i identify as many things, and they all make up my identity. i just pick and chose what label best suits a situation when in certain company. i'd look like a crazy person if i listed all of what i identify as when introducing myself to people. and saying i'm a multifaceted individual who doesn't conform to labels makes me sound like a pretentious douche. lol

Fred-87

Some of you people are too much closed off in your own circle. Thinking that the stereotypical gamer is nerdish and so on. I have friends who game a lot but do not know what neogaf or Gamespot is. And as such they dont know what gamergate is, they just enjoy videogames and thats it. And those friends are all very different types of people. And im not talking about mobiles games. I mean PS4 and such

LordKasual

Banned
Any woman i talk to, any person i meet who asks what my hobbies are, i always tell them i'm primarily a gamer.

It's only uncool if you make it uncool

I feel like "gamer" hasn't really been a negative "uncool" stereotype since grade school. I know drug dealers who play videogames.

Kthulhu

Video games still have the stigma of being antisocial. Hardcore gamers were considered antisocial or childish if they were adults. Hopefully that perception will fade overtime. I feel like mobile gaming, online games, and the growth of the industry have certainly helped people take the medium and the people who enjoy it more seriously.

I feel like the toxicity aspect does have some influence, but that certainly isn't where the stigma started.

kliklik

Banned
Any woman i talk to, any person i meet who asks what my hobbies are, i always tell them i'm primarily a gamer.

It's only uncool if you make it uncool

I feel like "gamer" hasn't really been a negative "uncool" stereotype since grade school. I know drug dealers who play videogames.

Absolutely. When I tell people I'm a gamer, I pull out my phone and show em my psn trophies like baby photos. I expect cooing over my plats.

I'm actually not joking...

I've closely followed games for the majority of my life and I can completely see why the medium isn't "cool." It takes up massive amounts of time, can swallow massive amounts of money, and there's really not much tangible benefit to show for it. The real-world skills you gain from it are minor - it's predominantly cathartic escapism and provides a simulated feeling of progress and advancement without getting that in real life.

Don't get me wrong, I love games and I don't see myself forsaking it as a hobby entirely. And multiplayer games that allow you to connect with other people do have a pretty tangible social benefit. But as a predominantly single-player gamer myself, I have been weaning myself off of games a little bit. It takes up tons of time and money I could be pouring into my other hobbies (photography and videography) that actually serve to benefit my real life more.

I like playing games but I wouldn't call it cool. I have trouble playing Switch/3DS in public because of the perception people will have at a mid 20s guy playing games.

Anth0ny

A "gamer" tends to spend a huge chunk of time:

* mostly by themselves
* honing skills that are of no 'real world' value

it's like building scale model battleships, but with those, you at least have something to show for.
Whatever you achieve in gaming only has value in the context of gaming (be it literal achievements, your skill playing a certain type of game).

many people consider gaming a huge waste of time.

That doesn't make anyone who games uncool, but you certainly won't get any "ooohs" and "aaahs" when you tell people about what you've done last friday night.

Also, as some have pointed out - it (like comic books) is also the "escapism of choice" for many people that do have social anxieties or are otherwise "weird" / "antisocial" / "uncool". Hence it's closely associated with that kind of stereotype.
Also, the general populace doesn't know about gamergate, nor do they know about toxic gamers and issues of racism. Don't confuse the image you get of gamers as a whole from within the gaming community with what someone would know about these things if they don't really care about gaming at all.

Simple as that.

They're still seen as juvenile and childish, so I don't see them reaching book/movie status any time soon when it comes to mainstream acceptance.

HeatBoost

I've closely followed games for the majority of my life and I can completely see why the medium isn't "cool." It takes up massive amounts of time, can swallow massive amounts of money, and there's really not much tangible benefit to show for it. The real-world skills you gain from it are minor - it's predominantly cathartic escapism and provides a simulated feeling of progress and advancement without getting that in real life.

This kind of thing is true, but what is really annoying is when you hear this shit from people who are just as clearly "wasting" their time. Maybe if your hobby is like... carpentry? Or something athletic? I could see you casting aspersions on a wholly sedentary, only occasionally social, and only ARGUABLY intellectual hobby like games, but...

But I don't wanna hear that shit from people who spend their free time watching TV or futzing around on social media

Duffk1ng

this is true for everything though surely? nothing in a parsons life is their defining feature, you're a combination of them. everyone is multifaceted, no? i think hobbies and interests based labels are used in context for most people. in a job interview you wouldn't necessarily identify as a gamer. you'd identify as "sociable" a "hard worker", a "team player". but on a gaming forum you likely would, it wouldn't make your other identifying qualities disappear, they're just less relevant given the context.

personally i identify as many things, and they all make up my identity. i just pick and chose what label best suits a situation when in certain company. i'd look like a crazy person if i listed all of what i identify as when introducing myself to people. and saying i'm a multifaceted individual who doesn't conform to labels makes me sound like a pretentious douche. lol

Well that's why I bring other activities into it too. When it comes to dating, I just don't think it does you any favours to have one single thing be what defines you nearly entirely, regardless of activity, because it can give the sense that that's all there is to you.

Like I've seen people on Tinder who are the stereotypical horse girl, for example. The bio is all horses, the picture is all them with horses... the impression you get is that all they do is do horse stuff, work, and drink. Which might be alright if you're into horses, but otherwise, it's offputting. You can dedicate your identity to the one single most exciting and interesting activity in the world if you like, but if that's all you ever do that's probably all you'll ever have to talk about.

So I don't think it's just games, it's anything. Even if games does have a lingering stigma.

KORNdoggy

This kind of thing is true, but what is really annoying is when you hear this shit from people who are just as clearly "wasting" their time. Maybe if your hobby is like... carpentry? Or something athletic? I could see you casting aspersions on a wholly sedentary, only occasionally social, and only ARGUABLY intellectual hobby like games, but...

But I don't wanna hear that shit from people who spend their free time watching TV or futzing around on social media

this.

god i know so many people like this. i end up telling them "you know all that time you spend watching the great British bake off and fucking coronation street...i spend that time playing video games, is it really that different?"

seems to shut them up but they still have this impression you're somehow wasting your time more than they're wasting theirs doing their preferred media absorption.

Well that's why I bring other activities into it too. When it comes to dating, I just don't think it does you any favours to have one single thing be what defines you nearly entirely, regardless of activity, because it can give the sense that that's all there is to you.

Like I've seen people on Tinder who are the stereotypical horse girl, for example. The bio is all horses, the picture is all them with horses... the impression you get is that all they do is do horse stuff, work, and drink. Which might be alright if you're into horses, but otherwise, it's offputting. You can dedicate your identity to the one single most exciting and interesting activity in the world if you like, but if that's all you ever do that's probably all you'll ever have to talk about.

So I don't think it's just games, it's anything. Even if games does have a lingering stigma.

a date is different though, that's when more of the labels and identities come out since the whole point of early dating is learning about each other. that's when you express your interest in gaming AND movie watching, AND long walks on the beach etc.

i think your horse example is just typical dating app panicked profile writing...as long as she doesn't actually identify AS a horse i think it's fine to be honest about what you're heavily into. no point acting like you're someone else only for people to find out your obsessed with trains or something. because ultimately that's what the likes of tinder is for. quickly finding people who share the same interests (and quick shags apparently, but never mind that) if you're a dude who loves horse riding, i imagine that profile would have gotten them rock hard. lol

Tigress

The people who actually call themselves gamers and are very loud about it tend to give the stereotype to the rest of us (not all of us but there is a large portion that even has me deciding there is a lot of toxic "gamers" out there... and yes, I've called myself a gamer).

Top Bottom