• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What everyday items are worth spending extra on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkLizard

Toilet paper is an obvious one IMO.

Also a decent mouse for you PC. We have cheap ones at work so I bought a MX Master. Some collegues said I'm crazy but jokes on them.

Gisele

Banned
Lipstick. My friend and I thought it would be fun to grab some cheap colored lipstick the other day, but it was particularly difficult to apply and lasted less than an hour.

Forearms

Commuter cars. Spring for all the creature comforts if you're going to be spending more than an hour or two in traffic every day. You're doing yourself a disservice otherwise.

adamy

Banned
pilothitecc1.JPG

they're not even that expensive but shit all over 99% pens within even a remotely similar price range

openrob

Matress. Cheap bed - no problem.
When i moved in to mine In spent my whole bed budget on the matress alone and waited until a free bed frame became available.

Decent pans

Not much IMO. I've driven 2 cars over the last 21 years and plan on driving the second of them another 2-3 years. Nearly 99% of all my clothes are close to 10 years old, I have 2 pairs of work pants and spend my extra money on my kids or the house instead.

Every day items are literally the bottom of the barrel for me, I rarely spend money on things like pens/pencils or other things like that. I just bring them home from work. I get new phones from work as hand me downs from executives who upgraded, and would otherwise be thrown away. Currently have a 6S+ on that scheme. The most recent thing is our insurance company gave us ~$20,000 to repair our bonus room after rains, instead I took some classes to learn shit and leaned on friends and family and we re-built the entire room (framed), ran electrical, new windows, roof, got it inspected, permitted and upgraded everything for under $5,000 by doing it ourselves. Pocketing the rest and added about $30k in value to our house at the same time.

My dad bought me this book, the millionaire next door when I was like 15 and it made an impression. So quite honestly, almost literally nothing is worth extra for me. I even use sale price toilet paper across my butt-hole, no shame just dollar bills in my accounts. I'm willing to scrap my asshole and use a #2 pencil to provide for my kids and retire early.

sturmdogg

SSDs. If you do your work on your computer, you owe it to yourself to get the speed upgrade. Makes old laptops / desktops feel like new again.

Footwear. Good quality stuff will last for years, is more comfortable and will prevent some foo health issues.

My personal one, is dish washing soap (hand washing). I have had the supermarket brand one some times and not only it was less effective in removing grease, but you needed to use a lot more of product. with something like Fairy I can make a bottle last for more than a year.

toilet paper: have fun ripping pieces of your ass off with the cheap stuff.

Cheese: Took me a while for this once, but making sure you have decent cheese in the sandwiches and food you make is vital.

neos

Headhphones\earbuds and speakers.
You are probably going to use them almost every day, buying quality ones will eventually last you years (if not decades), and most people actually have no idea of how different is to listen to music on high quality speakers.
It's a thing you have to try to undertsand.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I believe that everything is worth spending extra money on. What I don't believe is buying something out of impulse. You what you want and the quality you need. Don't buy stuff you don't need. Make every purchase meaningful instead of just buying for the sake of consuming.

A good bed and a great mattress.

Think about it. You'll spend roughly 1 third of your life in bed. And it has a big impact on the other two third of your life.

Jerry

Anything you put between yourself and the ground:

Mattress
Shoes
Office Chair / Sofa
Car Tyres

Other things:

Kitchen Knives
Cutting Boards
Keyboard
Fast Internet
Ear/headphones
Suits

Skux

A good bed.

Shoes. Those $10 sneakers you thought were a bargain will have holes in the soles in two months.

An SSD. Friends don't let friends use mechanical hard drives.

A quality chef's knife.

A good jacket/coat.

Jezbollah

In general, the items you use most are going to be worth spending extra on.

I know personally, I spent a little more on my memory foam mattress and it's been brilliant for years. Probably the best purchase I've made in my house. Other stuff include good in-ear headphones, my main desktop PC (a gaming rig, and also my lab PC for work), good coffee (looove coffee) and basically anything that is the opposite to "buyers remorse"

Magypsy

- toilet paper
- shoes
- headphones
- keyboard
- mouse (more so than keyboard)
- backpack
- cheese
- beer
- bed stuff

entremet

I agree with this for the most part.

There's definitely a degree of diminishing returns with pretty much everything, but things I splurge on...

humanely sourced proteins
shoes
umbrella
wallet
bags and leather goods
internet speed
coats/jackets
chairs
toothpaste and toothbrush
towels and linens

etc, etc.
Yep!

Sotha_Sil

-Pillow/sheets/bedding: so much time spent in bed, do it right.

-Shoes: A $200 pair of steel toe boots for work was the best money I ever spent.

-A backpack (or whatever equivalent you use).

TedMilk

Mattress. Obvious.

Pans. Very important - a good pan will last years and the non-stick coating will stay on, the handle will stay sturdily attached, better heat transfer through the bottom etc. Never cheap out on a good set of pans.

Decent kitchen utensils - I have yet to find a decent potato masher or wooden spoon.

Decent TV - It's all about picture quality and refresh rates, baby.

For the most part, the more you will use/reuse something, the more important it is that you pay for something good.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
food

Why not buy fresh fruit and just juice it? This seems like the senseo (coffee-pad machine) of juicers.

Well designed though.

Are you serious? If you drink juice at least once a day juicer is must. Those juice places are expensive as hell, s0eciwlly if you want fresh juice.

spadge

Anything I spend a lot of time using -

PC gear (keyboard, mouse, monitor)
Headphones
Coffee beans
running shoes

Rice

My wife buy the cheapest value rice you can get, which can only be brought to a semi-acceptable level if you really, really thoroughly wash it. For about 50p more you can get good quality rice that always turns out perfect.

food

Are you serious? If you drink juice at least once a day juicer is must. Those juice places are expensive as hell, s0eciwlly if you want fresh juice.

You're not reading. A juicer is great. But why not buy a juicer you can put fresh fruit in? Instead of buying bags of fruit like in this case. Seems overly expensive.
Did you watch the link?

Verelios

Toilet paper, the answer is always toilet paper. Find some really good ply double stitched ultracomfy paper and going back to that industrial standard is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom