• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What everyday items are worth spending extra on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broank

Towels are one I learned the hard way.

Bought some cheap ones one time and ended up with fuzzies all over drying off.

My first thought was headphones, but not sure that's really an everyday 'essential' item. (But if it is, then that). I'm not even talking about High-End enthusiast stuff, but for God's sake don't get £3 earphones. Ever. Not even for emergencies.

Toothpaste - Nothing worse than cheap generic sort-of-has-a-mint-flavour crap. i want a toothpaste that foams up my mouth and feels it working for some time after.

Instant coffee - Can't drink that rich/gold roast stuff anymore. And I'm far too lazy for filter coffee. So now I'm all about that Azera (or Azera imitation).

Socks and Undies - 100% Pure Cotton plz, get that synthetic shit away from my sweaty parts.

taybul

This floss:
037000038665.jpg

Other floss feels like barbed wire by comparison.

Jeans

I'd recommend spending a lot more on Jeans

Here's the thing

You will actually save money, because you be getting top quality that has a lot less chances on wear and tear

LosDaddie

Banned
For HomeownerGAF, lawn bags.

Pay for the thick/contractor bags. I spent about 8hrs raking up 20 bags (33 gallon each) of oak leaves last weekend and those bags were worth every penny. Barely any rips in the bags.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
You're not reading. A juicer is great. But why not buy a juicer you can put fresh fruit in? Instead of buying bags of fruit like in this case. Seems overly expensive.
Did you watch the link?

ahh lol my bad, just saw the link.

Yeah no, I would rather have fresh fruits than a bag

BigDes

Meat.

Now we should all be probably cutting down on our meat consumption anyway so I yes not really an everyday thing but if you do cut down on your meat eating to maybe once or twice a week then spending extra on the meat you do eat probably won't end up costing more to your weekly budget. Hell if you really cut down it might end up saving you money long term

20cent

Banned
Food, coffee, bottle water, shoes, motorcycle and rain gear.
And limitless phone plan, but most developed country have that as standard.

gaiages

Banned
Toilet paper for sure. If I'm so poor I can't afford Charmin Ultra, I've really fucked up something in my life. Even Charmin Basic is terrible compared to the blue and red ones (I personally prefer Ultra Strong, but Ultra Soft is also fine).

Also, underwear. Bras are expensive even if you try to go cheap, so might as well pay a bit extra for something that'll last longer. Comfy panties are life changing... I pay ~15 a pair and it's worth it (note, panties are generally way less expensive than men's underwear).

Oh, and eggs. They really taste better.

If you do any cooking at all, expensive knives. They take longer to dull and can be resharpened many times, lasting you a life time.

That was one of my SO's first gifts to me, because my kitchen was so woefully missing any good knives. Two years later and it's still super sharp, it's great :D

JaseMath

A good pillow.

Someone please-FOR THE LOVE OF GOD–recommend me a good pillow.

I've been struggling to find a good one. I've tried the Coop Home Goods one, the Casper pillow, memory foam, a synthetic...I just can't find one that suits me. I'm primarily a back sleeper.

Zissou

A good pillow.

Someone please-FOR THE LOVE OF GOD–recommend me a good pillow.

I've been struggling to find a good one. I've tried the Coop Home Goods one, the Casper pillow, memory foam, a synthetic...I just can't find one that suits me. I'm primarily a back sleeper.

Go without.

Whatever is worth it to you. Everyone has their own hobbies and things they like. People collect things. Our there are certain things they don't want to skimp on.

That said, there are a lot of things I'm willing to spend money on that maybe some people wouldn't spend much on.

Knives. Synthetic Engine oil. Watches. Firearms. Certain Bags/packs. Luggage. Grass fed beef. Better produce.

Greddleok

Shoes.

Don't buy cheap shoes.

Laptop. I use my laptop for hours and hours everyday, at work, at home, on public transport. So glad I forked out for something decent and light, with a great battery life.

I usually spend $15-20 on one pair of socks (SmartWool, Stance, etc.), and $25-30 on underwear. I use to be cheap on the underwear, but after buying one pair of ExOfficio boxer briefs I could never go back.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Shoes.
I learned long ago to go with comfort over appearance. And to be willing to pay extra for that comfort. Bad shoes can fuck up your life. No exaggeration.

Luggage.
For someone who travels a lot like myself I consider this an every day item. A good sturdy well made stuicase can make your life much easier.

Underwear, tools, and meat as well.

paskowitz

Bed/pillow, shoes, underwear, toilet paper, umbrella/raincoat and a good knife.

If you use them: glasses, mouse/keyboard, wrist watch, kitchen knife set, hiking boots, helmet, winter jacket, winter gloves, luggage, spare tire tool/kit, etc.

Carn82

food, (power)tools, a freezer, comfortable underwear, jeans that dont get fucked up after a few washes, everything sleeping related (bedframe, matras, pillows, etc); you spend a big part of your life sleeping, make sure that you enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom